• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 1,570 Views, 9 Comments

Ultra's Hot Shots - ultra1437



Ultra's collection of written (possibly with shipping) collab oneshots

  • ...
2
 9
 1,570

PreviousChapters Next
What If? - Twilestia Lightning Prompt

Author's Note:

Feels in this one! Written the 23rd November, 2014 between 10:35PM and 11:35PM.

Tears in her eyes, Celestia looked out of her tower’s balcony, out into the streets below. They had no idea. If she had her way, they never would. The day her most faithful student and lover was taken from her, forever.

~Twenty years ago~

“Princess? What is your decis-” Celestia’s focus flitted away from the court in front of her as a message from Twilight arrived.

Celestia

Something’s wrong with Twilight. She’s not well. She says not to tell you, but whatever’s affecting her, it’s beyond her capability. Please help.

Spike

Celestia’s eyes scanned the document again. And once more to make sure she’d read it correctly.

“Princess?” her assistant asked.

She stood quickly. “I-I’ve got to go. Urgent business. Court is cancelled for the rest of the day.” She spread her wings and was airborne within moments. Please be safe, Twilight.

Tearing away from Canterlot, she made her way past Ponyville, to the Everfree Forest. Twilight had been staying with Zecora, learning about Zebra magic and the shamaness’ own alchemical practices.

Alighting just outside, she saw Spike standing just outside. He’d grown much in the following years since Twilight had become a princess, and now almost stood at Luna’s height. He rushed up to her. “Celestia! I’m glad you came.”

Spike led the way to the door. “She and Zecora are just inside.” He opened the door and stepped through, Celestia following on his heels. The stench of sickness hit her nose hard as she passed though, and coughed lightly.

“S-Spike… Is that you?” A voice rasped. Celestia’s attention quickly diverted from the smell to the pony speaking. Twilight. Her beautiful, intelligent, loving Twilight. Now her feathers were falling out, her fur was matted with sweat and she looked almost like death warmed over. She spied Zecora tending to her, currently swapping a washcloth off her forehead.

“Yeah, I’m here Twilight.” He quickly moved to her side and joined Zecora. Twilight dissolved into a coughing fit, her frame shaking with each rasp.

Zecora startled as she noticed Celestia and Spike. He held a claw over her mouth and shh’d her before shooing her away. “I’ve got her, you fill ‘our guest’ in.”

Zecora nodded before motioning Celestia away from the sick mare. Leaning up to the larger mare she whispered, “Princess Celestia, what a surprise to see ya.”

“Spike sent for me. I did not know Twilight was unwell.”

Zecora nodded. Both ponies looked over to Spike as he covered her shivering form in several blankets. “How she became unwell is a mystery. All I can do is tend to her, you see.”

“When did she fall ill?” Celestia’s eyes watered slightly.

Zecora held a hoof to her chin. “It was three days ago, I believe. After a venture to that castle with an item to retrieve.”

Twilight’s coughing worsened. Spike became frantic. “I-Help! Zecora!”

Zecora hopped into action. “Spike, some healing salve I see. Bring that to me, quickly!”

Spike quickly retrieved the salve and set it next to her as she set to work. “Is there anything I can do?”

“Ce-Celestia?” Everypony froze. “W-What are you doing here?” Her head lifted and she looked, more squinted, right into Celestia’s eyes.

Spike looked guilty. “I sent a letter asking her to come.”

“If I had known sooner…”

“Celestia.” Twilight coughed once, dislodging the cloth on her forehead. “I-I’m glad you’re here, actually.”

“What do you mean, Twilight?” Celestia stepped forward.

“Twilight, any information you can provide, hopefully a cure we can find.” Zecora replaced the cloth.

“No. I’m not getting better.” Her head fell back down onto the mattress she lay on. “I know that–” she coughed again, “–now.”

“Twi? You’re gonna–” Spike’s voice pleaded to her.

She shook her head weakly. “No, Spike, I won’t. I can feel it, and I’ve accepted it. It’s not time yet, but it will be soon.”

“Twilight? May I?” Celestia gestured to the blankets.

“I would love nothing more, Celestia.” Twilight nodded. Zecora discreetly left the three alone for the time Twilight had left.

Tears in her eyes, Celestia moved forward and cast aside the blankets before settling in next to Twilight, wrapping a massive white wing around the dying mare. She listened to Twilight’s weakly beating heart for a moment before coming to a decision. Discretely, she scanned Twilight magically. Some kind of poison was circulating in her blood, slowly throttling her heart.

She rested her head on top of Twilight’s, lending her her warmth. Her heart ached for the little mare under her wing, there was nothing she could do. Spike sat on the floor next to them, still intent on staying.

Several hours passed as the three exchanged stories and memories. Twilight’s heart continued to slow before Twilight weakly interrupted her story. “It-It’s time.” Tears started falling quickly. “I-I’m sorry Spike. I’m sorry Celestia.”

As a final act, Twilight’s head raised and she kissed Celestia on the lips before falling limp against her. Slowly, her eyes lost their sharpness, dulling completely. Her body relaxed softly in Celestia’s embrace, all the strain from the pain wracking her body fading as she did.

Celestia had frozen at the final kiss. This wasn’t supposed to happen to either of us. Not for a long, very long time.

“Twi? Twilight?” He reached for her chest and felt for her heartbeat. After a moment of silence, he broke down in tears.

Celestia and Spike remained with Twilight’s body until dusk. Celestia’s horn ached, but she ignored it. Luna could take care of setting the sun and raising the moon for the night. Twilight needed her here. Her friends needed to be told, her parents, her brother and Cadance.

~Present time~

The dusk gave way to night as Luna set the sun and raised the moon. Shortly after, a knock sounded and Luna entered and shut the door behind her.

Luna’s voice sounded softly. “Tia? How are you holding up?”

Choking back a sob Celestia replied, “I… I’m not okay. Please stay with me, Luna.”

Luna hurried over and immediately hugged her sister. “Of course, Tia. Any time you need me, you need but ask.”

Celestia folded into Luna’s embrace and broke down weeping. “Why did she have to die?”

Luna looked out into Canterlot as she held her sister. “I do not know, Tia. I wish there was something we could have done…”

PreviousChapters Next