• Published 4th Dec 2014
  • 1,091 Views, 3 Comments

Fallen Angels - Fossil-Dragon-Messiah



three months after the defeat of Discord, a young starry eyed unicorn comes to further his studies

  • ...
4
 3
 1,091

Morning Star

Canterlot stood tall in the distance. Three months ago, the mountainous city, along with all of Equestria had been liberated from the iron fist of Discord.

A young unicorn thought on this as he walked through the forested boulevards. It was hard to believe that a place as amazing as this was nothing but a bubbly pool of chaotic energy for twenty five years, two more years than this unicorn had been alive.

The unicorn pushed that thought to the edge of his mind and turned his thoughts to the more positive events that happened as of late. Out of all the unicorns in Equestria, one of the two princesses, the very same princesses that usurped Discord, had taken him as a protégé. Him, a humdrum novice scholar from northern Equestria, with nothing to his name but his gem cutting skills.

The unicorn approached the castle courtyard. He looked around the hedges and saw one statue stand out in particular. It appeared to be Discord, the draconequus that had laid sieged to Equestria for the last twenty five years. He was in a pose that suggested he was laughing hysterically as he was petrified.

The unicorn stared at the statue, smiling at the thought that this tyrant got his just desserts. Eventually, he pulled himself away from the statue and continued his walk to the castle, where he was stopped by two pegasus guards. "Sir, I'm afraid I can't let you in without proper clearance." One of them said.

"Oh. I have clearance." Said the unicorn. He levitated a small card from his saddle bag and placed it in the hoof of one of the guards.

The guard scanned the card for a second before saying "OH! Forgive me, Sombra, sir. Princess Luna has been eagerly awaiting your arrival in the throne room. Please, go right ahead."

Sombra smiled and thanked the soldier before walking into the castle. The foyer was incredibly ornate. Along the halls were several stained glass panes depicting several key events in Equestrian history. The fires of friendship turning back the windigos, Starswirl the Bearded and Scorpan defeating Tirek fifty two years ago, and the closest pane depicting the two princesses overthrowing Discord.

After a few minutes, Sombra found a set of stairs leading too the Princesses throne rooms. Sombra took note of the elegant architecture of the spiraling staircase as he walked up it. At the top of the stair case was a massive door. Sombra opened it and went inside.

In the center of the massive room stood the princess of night in all her glory. Her dark blue coat glistening in the light. Her luxurious mane flowing.

Luna turned to Sombra and her face lit up. "You must be the apprentice I sent for." She said.

Sombra bowed respectfully. "Yes, your majesty. I am Sombra Nightshade of Northern Equestria."

"Please," said Luna, "Call me Luna."

This request struck at Sombra as odd. "As you wish... Luna. But may I ask why you wish to not be addressed your majesty?" He ask

Luna chuckled. "When my sister and I studied under Starswirl the Bearded, I always resented having to refer to him as 'master'." she explained.

Sombra nodded.

The princess of night looked at her apprentice and said, "Your instruction will begin tomorrow. A guard will be along shortly to show you to the quarters I had furnished for you."

"You honor me with your graciousness, Luna." Sombra said.

"Think nothing of it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have duties I must attend to." Luna said as she walked away.

Soon enough, the guard Luna promised came and showed Sombra to his room. It was small, but it contained all that Sombra needed. A bookshelf, a bed, a desk, and a balcony for fresh air. Sombra took his saddle bag off and began to unpack. He took three books out and placed them on the shelf. One was an encyclopedia on all the known forms of magical creatures in Equestria, the second was Starswirl the Bearded's magical index and almanac, while the final was just a journal Sombra would use to record his thoughts here in Canterlot. Next, Sombra took out a bottle containing melatonin tablets. He placed the bottle on the desk and consumed one of the three milligram doses contained within. Finally, Sombra pulled a small crystal sculpture of a phoenix from his saddle bag and placed it on his desk. The sculpture was enchanted to behave like a lamp, to turn it on and off one simply had to tap the phoenix's head. Sombra flopped down onto the provided bed, trying to rest for the day ahead.

Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock

Sombra tossed and turned in his bed, trying to fall asleep.

Tick... Tock... Tick... Tock

Ugh, thought Sombra. What a suprise... The pills didn't work... Yet again.

Eventually, Sombra gave up trying to fight his insomnia and decided to read one of the books that had been provided. He trotted over to his lamp sculpture and turned it on. Then, Sombra walked to the bookshelf and began to read through an anthology of short horror stories.

Before Sombra knew it, Celestia's sun was already rising. Sombra struggled to tear himself from his book and sprinted down to the thrown room, eager to begin his training. Sombra rushed to the throne and threw open the massive doors. "Princess Luna," He said panting. "I'm sorry I'm late."

The elegant princess of night was not in the room though. Instead her sister, the almighty Celestia, sat and stared in shock of Sombra's dramatic entrance. The princess face changed to a much more stoic expression as she spoke. "Ah, you must be Sombra. The apprentice my little sister sent for."

Sombra bowed. "Forgive me for my intrusion, your highness." He said. "I assumed Princess Luna would have been here waiting for me."

Celestia chuckled. "It appears she is the one who is tardy."

A voice called out from behind Celestia and spoke. "Yes, yes. I'm here. Forgive my lack of punctuality," Luna emerged from behind the larger alicorn. "Now, Sombra. Let's begin, shall we?"

"I shall leave you to it then," said Celestia. "Feel free to call me if you need anything."

Luna responded, "Thank you, sister." Luna turned her head back to Sombra. "Let's start with the basics."

Sombra nodded. "As you wish."

Luna put a hoof to her chin, contemplating what to teach. Eventually she spoke, "Are you aware of the three categories of magic?"

"Of course. Creative, destructive, and manipulative." Sombra answered.

Luna smiled. "Absolutely correct. Can you give me an example of each?"

Sombra nodded. His horn glowed as a red, crystal rapier materialized in front of him. "Forming this sword is a creative spell. The telekinesis I'm using to hold it is manipulative. And this-" The red blade grew black and dissipated as a cloud of ashes. "-Is a destructive spell."

Luna spoke, "Indeed. Now... Tell me... Which form of magic is the most difficult to utilize."

"Creative, followed by destruction, with manipulative being the easiest to use and the most common." Sombra answered.

"Correct. Now... What kind of magic should we begin with?" Asked Luna.

Sombra answered, "If I may offer a suggestion, how about higher level manipulative spells?"

Luna nodded. "I suppose that's a good enough place to start as any."

The rest of Sombra's morning was spent trying to lift multiple heavy objects using as little magical energy as possible. A training technique known as "Advance Telekinetic Meditation." Sombra lifted each object at once and held them suspended in the air, Each time lifting them higher and for longer.

Eventually, Luna spoke. "That is enough for now Sombra. Come. Let us take a break for lunch."

"As you wish, Luna." Sombra replied..

Sombra followed Luna to the castle's dining hall. A massive rectangular room adorned with several ornate tapestries depicting the symbol of the two sisters. Sombra sat down at the seat directly to the right to the end, where Luna situated her self. Eventually, a collection of chefs came with food for the master and apprentice. They layed out an assortment of different cuisines from all over Equestria. Dew soup from Cloudsdale, Fillydelphian styled hay burgers, and for deserts there was a glorious spread of Canterlot's finest cakes and pies.

As Sombra hastily consumed copious amounts of food in record time, Luna began to strike up conversation. "So, Sombra," She said. "Tell me about yourself."

Sombra swallowed the food that occupied his mouth and began to speak. "Well, theres not much to tell, really. I was a gem cutter in northern Equestria struggling to survive the world of insanity Equestria had became under Discords rule."

Luna winced at the mention of Discord. "Ugh, Discord. My sister and I did the world a favor by ridding it of that demented tyrant."

"Luna, may I ask what Discord was like?" Sombra asked.

Luna looked at her protégé. "Disgusting. Even chimeras have more symmetry than that...thing. The fool reveled in the madness around him, laughing at everything. When Celestia and I finally confronted him, Discord was laughing to the very end. His hubris shows still in that petrified prison the elements of harmony contained him in."

Sombra took note of every detail Luna told him. The draconequus sounded just as insane as he had imagined. Sombra asked "But if he's such a threat, why not just smash the statue and get rid of him for good?"

Luna frowned and looked down. "We think alike Sombra. I once said something similar to my sister. She told me only Discord's body can be killed. If we smashed it, his mind and power would just assume a new form and we would be back at square one."

Sombra nodded. "Fascinating."

Luna nodded. "To be honest, confronting Discord was... exhilarating in a way. Yes, I was terrified of course, but... I felt strangely excited. The power of the elements coursing through me was like a rush of pure adrenaline."

"Hmm. Tell me... Do you know exactly how the elements work?"

Luna pondered the query. "If what Starswirl said is true, than the elements work by drawing on and amplifying the positive energy of there wielder. However, with the exception of the element of magic, the elements are practically useless without each other. Anypony can wield the elements but if they don't have enough positive energy then they can corrupt the crystal and become some sort of monster."

"Monster?"

"I do not know exactly what Starswirl meant, Sombra. Perhaps the elements would amplify the negative energy in the user and create a mental monster. Or perhaps they would literally become some sort of beast. Starswirl had an annoying habit of saying something and then never explaining it." Luna said.

Sombra nodded. Hopefully Luna didn't share in that habit. Sombra was a curious pony and hated when something couldn't be explained. He believed everything has a reason, be it scientific or magic, nothing was truly random. He also hated ambiguity. If Sombra was to know something, he wanted to be privy to all of it's secrets. He would spend hours trying to dissect magical constructs, trying to figure out how to replicate them. If Sombra succeeded, then he would often try to find away to improve upon the spells that he learned. This trait made Sombra nosey, and more than a bit reckless, but his heart was always in the right place.

After they had finished their meal, Luna stood up and beaconed for Sombra to follow. Sombra finished his last bit of food and followed her.

Luna led the dark unicorn to another large door. Not as large as the entrance to the throne room, but still relatively large. Inside, was the largest collection of books Sombra had ever seen.

Sombra practically squealed with delight. "Luna... How many books exactly are there, here?" he asked

Luna giggled. "Every book ever published. The total is around fifty thousand as of now."

Sombra looked in awe. Fifty thousand books, ranging from forty to forty thousand pages. Sombra could spend an eternity going through these tomes.

Luna spoke from behind the awestruck Sombra. "Starswirl told my sister and I that everypony learns differently. Some learn by a hooves-on approach, others by trial-and-error, and some by typical study. I want you to study in here until I raise the moon tonight. Is this understood?"

Sombra dropped to his knees. "Yes. Thank you master."

Luna raised a hoof. "Ah. Remember. To you, I am Luna."

Sombra dropped his head. "My apologies... Luna."

Luna smiled and walked out of the massive library.

Sombra wasn't sure where to start. For he stood in the largest collection of knowledge in Equestria. Choosing one book would be like choosing which one of your hooves you would like to amputate.

Eventually, Sombra took a tome from the higher level spells. Sombra lost himself reading through spells and incantations. One spell in particular held his interest for quite some time. Sombra wasn't exactly sure of the practical uses of a spell that merely caused the caster's voice to become insanely high pitched, but he made a mental note of it anyway.

Time ticked away, leaving Sombra in the library far longer than Luna had intended. Eventually, a thestral guard came to fetch Sombra. "Um... Sombra, sir? Princess Luna requests that you report to the throne room as soon as possible." The guard said.

"Uh huh. Sure." Said a captivated Sombra. His muzzle buried into a spell tome.

"Are you listening to me sir?" Asked the guard.

"... Huh? What?" Sombra said.

The guard sighed and put a hoof to his face. "Princess Luna requests your presence in the throne room sir."

Sombra put the book down, embarressed. "Oh. Hehe. Thank you for alerting me."

The guard bowed and walked away.

Sombra traced his steps back to the throne room, where he found Luna waiting for him. "Well, Sombra, it appears you are an avid reader."

Sombra placed a hoof behind his head and laughed. "Yeah... Guess I got kinda wrapped up in there."

Luna chuckled a lighthearted laugh. "No worries, apprentice. As long as you don't neglect your studies you are welcome in the library whenever." She said. "Well, I think that covers today's training. You may retire now."

Sombra bowed. "Yes, Luna." Sombra walked away and went to his room.

Once again, Sombra took out a three milligram melatonin tablet and swallowed it. A futile sentiment, but it never hurt to try.

This time, instead of retiring to his bed, Sombra left his quarters and went back to the library to browse. He was in the middle of quite a riveting incantation when he was told to report to his mentor and he was eager to finish.

Sombra took in every word with complete and undivided attention. It seemed nothing short of the apocalypse could break his concentration. The seconds turned to minutes, and then minutes turned to hours as Sombra read through the library's vast collection of literature.

Eventually, the first rays of Celestia's dawn broke through the library's windows. Sombra reached a stopping point in his current tome and proceeded back to Luna to receive today's instructions. For the first time, Sombra stopped to admire the castles architecture more closely. Every detail was superb. From the walls to the floor molding, everything gave off a welcoming aura. Especially to Sombra's liking were the staircases. Each one grand and beautiful.

This day of training was almost exactly the same as the last. Practice using advanced telekinetic training, lunch, and an afternoon of reading in the castles library. This training regiment suited Sombra just fine. Sombra preferred a combination of hooves-on with book learning. Luna always struck up a friendly conversation during lunch. Sombra felt like she was more a friend trying to teach something new to a friend rather than a mentor. Her mannerisms all gave a relaxed aura, with the exception of the polite dialect and royal garments. Sombra appreciated this. He felt if Luna was a more formal teacher, he would not excel as much as he would have now.

This pattern of study continued for a few weeks. The only variations would be the words spoken, the form of meditation, or the books read. Occasionally, Celestia herself would come to watch. She never stayed for much longer than fifteen minutes though.

After the day of training was over one day, Sombra sat on his balcony reading by the light of an illumination spell he picked up into the long hours of the night. As Sombra flipped a page well after midnight, he heard a familiar voice call for him. "Sombra."

Sombra tore his attention from his book and looked up where he saw Luna hovering in the air. "Princess luna", he said. "What can I help you with?"

Luna landed on the balcony and spoke. "I merely wanted to talk Sombra", she said.

"What about?"

Luna folded her wings against her body and looked at Sombra with a warm and welcoming expression. "You see Sombra, as princess of the night, it is my duty to watch over the dreams of my subjects."

Sombra nodded. "Yes, Luna. you have told me this before."

Luna's smile wavered slightly, "Well... Sombra, I noticed that in all the weeks I have been your mentor, I never once have been able to detect your dreams."

Sombra smiled. "That is because I don't sleep."

'You don't? Everypony sleeps through my night."

Sombra turned away. "I'm an insomniac. I am literally unable to sleep. Those pills on my desk are sleeping medication."

Luna spoke again, "So... What do you do to pass the time at night when everypony else is asleep?"

"Normally I read. Other times I stand outside to admire the stars." Sombra said.

Luna blushed. "T-The stars?"

Sombra nodded. "There is a... Serene beauty that hides in the darkness. Just as there is an ugly power that can hide in the light."

"...The brightest lights cast the darkest shadows..." said Luna.

Sombra turned to the alicorn. "Escuse me?"

Luna replied, "The brightest lights cast the darkest shadows. It was a phrase that Starswirl was quite partial to. I think he meant that everypony has evil inside of them by it."

Sombra offered his own interpretation. "That would mean the darkest shadows are cast by the brightest lights. It could mean that everypony is capable of kindness and benevolence."

"Perhaps."

Sombra lifted his hoof and pointed to one of the many stars scattered across the night sky. "That one there is my favorite. The north star. It's always right there."

Luna scanned the skies and pointed to a different star. "That one is my favorite. The morning star."

"Really?" replied Sombra.

"What's wrong with it? It's the brightest and most beautiful of my stars." asked Luna.

Sombra shrugged and offered his opinion. "That may be, but it's also the first star to fade under the horizon in the morning. I think beauty shouldn't have to fade so quickly."

"You have an interesting viewpoint, Sombra." Luna said. "I'm glad I found somepony who appreciates the night as much as I do..."

Sombra put a hoof behind his head. "Oh I'm sure that theres somepony else who-"

The words were stolen from Sombra's mouth as he felt a pair of soft lips touch his cheek and then quickly recede.

Sombra turned to the alicorn sitting next to him only to see her walking away. The last words he heard Luna say before she closed the door were, "See you in the morning....Sombra."

Sombra turned back to the night sky and thought on what just happened.

As the days passed, Sombra's and Luna's relationship grew from master and apprentice to coltfriend and fillyfriend. Eventually the nickname "Blue Beauty" was coined one night when Luna and Sombra had a little too much cider. The nickname stuck and the two decided to keep referring to Luna as such. When Celestia learned about this romance, Luna was prepared to be bombarded with accusations such as "If you let yourself become involved with him his studies will suffer" and other drivel along those lines, but Celestia was very calm and didn't show even a single hint of dissaproval.

Celestia simply smiled and said, "Congratulations, sister."

Three years Later

Sombra used his chisel to carve mercilessly into the ruby. After three years of studying under the princess of night, he would not accept anything less than perfection. At last the red stone finally clicked into place among the obsidian frame Sombra had carved earlier.

Sombra had learned months ago that crystals if treated right could store and amplify magic energy. Sombra had spent weeks enchanting this trinket and at long last, this "Alicorn Amulet" as he called it, was finally ready. Sombra picked up the amulet and raced down the halls, eager to show Luna the fruits of his labor.

Luna was alone in the throne room when Sombra barged in.

"Luna! *Huff puff*. I *Huff* have something to *Puff* show you." Sombra said. He levitated the amulet over to his master and fillyfriend.

Luna enveloped the amulet in her own telekinetic aura. "Oh, Sombra. It's beautiful. I can feel the energy contained within. It must be able to amplify a pony's magic by at least five times."

Sombra smirked, "That's not all it's good for..."

"Oh? What else does it do?" Asked Luna.

"It's a killer proposal gift."

"...!"

Sombra bowed down and dug deep within himself to finish what he had started. "Luna", he said. "May I have your hoof in marriage?"

Luna raised her hooves to her mouth. Her massive wings skyrocketed outward , and a single word fell from her lips.

"... Yes."

Luna placed the amulet around her neck and leapt at Sombra, wrapping him tightly in a hug. Sombra returned the embrace as the two kissed.

The two stayed locked in place for what seemed like an eternity before Celestia entered the room. "Sister! I have wonderful.... Am I interrupting something?"

Luna broke from the embrace, much to Sombra's chagrin and spoke ecstatically. "Dear sister, Sombra and I are to be wed!"

Celestia's face flashed a look of shock, then a look of playfulness. "It's about time Sombra stopped dragging his hooves."

Sombra laughed and Luna spoke once more. "You do not give Sombra enough credit, Celestia. But enough about that, what had you so excited?"

The larger alicorn's face lit up. "They accepted! The Crystal Empire has agreed to become part of Equestria!"

"Crystal Empire?" asked Sombra.

"Oh", said Celestia. "Have we not told you?"

Sombra shook his head.

Luna explained. "Far to the north is an empire of ponies made of solid crystal. For half a year now we have been waiting on a reply to our offer to allow them into the sovereign protection of Equestria."

"Living crystals?" Sombra asked.

"Indeed Sombra. Earth pony magic acts uniquely in the crystal ponies, making their skin flawless gems." Celestia explained.

Sombra contemplated on what such a pony would look like as Celestia spoke.

"Anyway, Sombra, I'd like you to oversee the annexation." Celestia said.

Luna stepped forward. "But sister! He has just proposed to me! Can it not wait until the wedding is over?" She asked.

Celestia sighed. "I wish I could say yes to that sister, but the delegates have given us only a two month window to send an ambassador. That's just enough time to connect our railroad systems. Believe me sister, I wish this could have been better timed."

Luna began to shout. "Why can't you get some other pony to do this!? Sombra isn't a diplomat!"

Celestia raised her voice slightly. "This is a golden opportunity for him to learn the nuances of the political process. It would be a great lesson for him to learn if you two are to be wed."

Sombra raised a hoof. "Do I not get a say in this?" He asked over the arguing princesses.

Celestia turned her attention to Sombra, "Forgive me. Of course you do Sombra."

The dark unicorn contemplated the request. "How long will I be gone?" He asked

"Two years at the very least." Celestia answered.

"Luna", Sombra asked. "Will you still love me after two years?"

Tears began to well in Luna's eyes. "Idiot!" She cried. "Of course I'll love you!"

Sombra smiled. "Celestia. I'll do it."

The following month, Sombra's lessons went from expert level creative spells to proper etiquette and diplomatic relations. Celestia watched as Sombra ate and gently corrected him when his manners grew too barbaric. Luna taught Sombra the polite way to greet the crystal delegates.

Eventually, the dreaded day came. Luna and Celestia brought Sombra to the train station as soon as the railroads had been connected with two weeks to spare.

Sombra raised his bags. "Well, I guess this is it."

Celestia nodded.

Luna simply remained silent.

"I want to thank you both so much." Sombra said.

Celestia spoke up. "Don't talk like that Sombra. You're not going away for ever."

"Luna, are you going to be okay?"

Luna sniffled. "I-I'll be-" The tears in her eyes began to flow. "Idiot!" Luna slapped Sombra in the face and threw her fore legs around him. Luna began to weep uncontrollably. "Please don't go, Sombra! Please!"

Sombra gently stroked the back of Luna's head. "Don't cry Luna", He said, trying to comfort her. "It's like Celestia said, I'll be back."

The train's whistle could be heard fast approaching. Luna struggled to pull her self off of Sombra as the train pulled into the station. "... Goodbye Sombra..." Luna said as she clutched the amulet Sombra had given her.

Sombra smiled and said "See you later... My Blue Beauty..." With those words, Sombra entered the train and took a seat by the window.

After about ten minutes, the train began to move once more. Sombra stared out the window and waved goodbye as Luna and Celestia faded from view.

Three days later

Sombra's train pulled into view of massive crystal cathedrals. Sombra stared in awe as the landscape of snow and ice transitioned into an oasis in the bitter tundra.

As the train began to slow down, Sombra looked out the window to see the crystal ponies he was told about. He saw the train station full of crystalline equines and though to himself, Amazing! Celestia wasn't kidding. They really are made of crystal!

Sombra made his way off the train once it had come to a full stop and began to look for the crystal delegates he was told there would be.

"You must be Sombra Nighshade, the ambassador from Equestria." Sombra turned around to see who was addressing him and saw a greenish crystal pony approaching him.

"Indeed, that is me." Sombra said.

The crystal pony introduced himself. "I am Emerald Shard, and I am honored to welcome you to my empire." Emerald stuck out his hoof.

Sombra shook the hoof and replied "Honored to be here, Mr. Shard. I look forward to overseeing the negotiations."

Emerald chuckled. "Yes, you see all you really need to do is sign a few papers really."

"Then why did Celestia say I would be here for two years?" Sombra asked suspiciously.

"Think of it as an integration program. The crystal ponies will see you living among them and be assured that they can live among the ponies from Equestria." Emerald explained.

Sombra was a bit confused at first but pieced it together. "Ah. You want to build trust between our two peoples before the final annexation."

"Exactly. Now if you'll follow me, I'll show you to where you'll be staying."

Emerald took Sombra to a massive mansion. "This is your home away from home Mr. Sombra. Inside you will find all the accommodations you will need, including a private study."

Sombra's eyes lit up. "Study?" He asked hopefully.

Emerald Shard laughed. "It's not as big as the libraries your used to, I'm sure. But it should provided more than enough for you to practice your spells or catch up on your favorite literature."

"Your too kind, Mr. Shard." Sombra said.

"We treat our allies well as you'll find out soon enough Mr. Nightshade. Anyway, that massive crystal structure in the center of the city is where we will be conducting our business. But you must be exhausted from you journey. Please, have a rest. We will send you a letter whenever we require you."

Sombra bowed. "Thank you."

As Emerald Shard walked away, Sombra entered his new dwelling. The place was practically a castle, it was so massive. A far cry from the walls of the Everfree Castle for sure but still massive.

First, things first, Thought Sombra. Let's check out the study. The study was much smaller than the one he was used to, but one wouldn't know that upon seeing Sombra's reaction. Sombra danced around the shelves, looking at all the books he had never seen before. Luna was wrong. I haven't seen any of these books in the Everfree Castle Library.

A few weeks later, Sombra returned from a meeting tired and exhausted. Seeking respite, he stumbled into his study to read. As Sombra browsed the shelves, he saw something glow for a split second underneath one of them. Sombra dropped down and found a misplaced book underneath the shelf. Sombra picked it up and examined it. The book had no title on the cover. Strange, Thought Sombra as he flipped through the pages. Every single one of them was completely blank. This is weird, He thought. Is it some sort of journal?

As Sombra set the bizarre book down, he saw the move out of the corner of his eye. "Hello?" He called out. "Hm". Sombra left the library and went outside for some fresh air. Outside Sombra saw a pony standing off in the distance. What the? This place is pretty out of the way for somepony to get lost, Thought Sombra.

Sombra trotted out to get a look at the lone pony standing in the middle of nowhere. Eventually, Sombra called out to the pony. "Hello? Are you alright sir?"

The next step Sombra took, he felt something grab at his leg. "Huh?" Sombra looked down and saw that his hoof had been encased in a bluish crystal.

Sombra looked onward and gasped at what he saw. The pony he had been walking out to see was a near carbon copy of himself. Only two small details were off. The copy's cutie mark was three black crystals instead of the typical three red crystals, and it's horn was weird and curved. This fake Sombra approached the real one. With every step the fake took the crystal encasing the real Sombra's leg would creep up, encasing him ever so slightly more, until the clone was just a hair's breadth and Sombra away was encased up to his neck.

"Thank you..." Said the fake.

Sombra tried to struggle out of the crystal prison. "Thank you for what?"

"... Your identity..."

Sombra ceased his struggling. "My identity? What are you?"

"I was imprisoned in that book for so long, and then you come along, set me free and give me a new body..." The copy said.

"What are you-" Is all Sombra had time to say before the crystals completely imprisoned him.

Two years later

Luna paced around the throne room in distress. "What happened to him, sister? He should have been home by now!"

"It's true that Sombra is running a little late, Luna, but I don't think it's cause for concern." Celestia assured her.

Just then, a pegasus soldier flew into the thrown room. "Your highnesses! Your highnesses! I bring a report from the Crystal Empire!"

Luna shouted, "Speak Commander Dawn Guard! What happened?!"

Dawn Guard adjusted his helmet. "It's about your betrothed, Princess Luna."

"Spit it out Dawn Guard!"

"He... He has enslaved the crystal empire." Said the soldier.

"What?" Luna asked.

"Sombra somehow managed to conquer the entire Crystal Empire. My team and I went out to investigate a claim by a fleeing citizen. I was the only one to get away. Everypony else was enslaved or killed by these... things that called themselves vamponies and rakghouls. I managed to dig up that Sombra goes by the title 'King Sombra' now." said the shaken soldier.

"If this is some kind of joke, it is in very poor jets soldier!" Luna shouted.

Dawn Guard backed up. "I assure you, Princess Luna, everything I've told you is the truth."

Luna took the amulet off her neck and stared at it. She placed it in her hoof as it glowed white. Suddenly, it disappeared altogether.

Celestia asked of her sister. "Luna? Where did you send it to?"

Luna glared at her sister. "I don't know and I don't care. Dawn Guard!", She said. "Alert the army. We have an empire to liberate."

I took a matter of three weeks to assemble the invasion force necessary to storm the Crystal Empire. Even longer to transport the coalition to the invasion's launching point.

Luna stood on the top of a snowy hill overlooking the black crystal fortress when Celestia approached her. "Luna... Are you sure you're ready for this?" The eldest sister asked.

The princess of night scoffed. "If Sombra is to be defeated, I shall be the one who deals the killing blow", she said.

Celestia unpacked her saddle bag revealing a chest. "I have brought the elements... Just in case sister".

Luna looked away, eager to begin the attack on Sombra's stronghold. "Look at it sister. To think, all this was caused by my betrothed. I shall have his head on a pike for this betrayal".

A voice was heard from behind. The two alicorns turned to see an an earth pony soldier. "Your majesties, the army is ready to proceed. Are you sure you would not like a military escort?"

"I remain adamant commander. This fight is between Sombra, Celestia and I. You are here to liberate the slaves and draw attention away from us as we deal with Sombra. Understood?" Luna said.

The soldier bowed. "Yes your highness."

The two sisters donned their armor and flew for the castle, leaving their ground forces to contend with the emancipation of the civilians and dealing with Sombra's forces.

Luna and Celestia landed on a balcony outside Sombra's throne room. The pair walked inside to see Sombra, sitting in an obsidian throne on the other end of the room. Sombra stood up and slowly clapped his hooves together. "Bravo" , He said. "I was wondering when you two would show up..."

Luna stepped forward. "Sombra! Tell me! What has happened to you." As soon the words left her mouth, an immensely loud *BOOM* was heard and a massive mushroom cloud was made visible from the window behind Sombra's throne.

Sombra smirked. "That was the residential district", He said. "How many do you think died in that blast? Hundreds? Thousands?"

"Enough Sombra!" Celestia shouted. "What makes you think you can get away with this?"

"tsk. Celestia, Celestia, Celestia. It's a rule of nature, the strong dominate the weak. That is my prerogative." Sombra explained.

Luna growled. "Enough talk. We are emancipating this empire!"

Sombra chuckled. "Oh? You mean your going to whip out those elements and blast me away with out a fighting chance? Like you did with Discord?"

Celestia shouted, "A god-complex does not suit you So-"

A blast of magic energy spouted from Sombra's horn and into Celestia. Celestia wobbled and then completely collapsed, her eyes glowing green and emanating a purple mist. "Now that she's out of the way... Let's talk, Luna."

"What have you done to her?" Luna demanded.

"Your sister is fine, for now Luna. But I have something to say." Sombra explained. "This new power coursing through me has given me a lot of things, Luna... But the one thing I still don't have is you as my bride. Join me, and we will teach Equestria what it truly means to fear the night..."

"Never!" Luna shouted.

Sombra sighed as two onyx rapiers formed on either side of him. "The old fashioned way it is then..."

Sombra lunged at Luna, slicing downwards with his twin blades. Luna rolled out of the way and drew her own sword. As Sombra came at her once again, Luna parried the crystal swords and countered with a jab.

"You studied underneath in Everfree!" Luna shouted as she blocked a blow. "Why did you change sides? Why?"

Sombra chuckled as he slashed away. "Your as blind now as you were then! I've wanted you dead for years! I wanted you out of the way so that I could be the new lord of the night!"

"Thats the puerile reason you killed all those innocent ponies? Betrayed me?" Luna shouted as a hoof made contact with Sombra's head.

"HAHAH! I love this body, Luna. The power! Get on your knees and worship me!" Sombra said as he jumped back.

Luna caught her breath and stood up. "Never... I will strike you down and all you have become, you wretched fool!" Luna sprinted toward Sombra and swung her blade. "You told me you loved me! You proposed to me!"

"Yes, I did" Sombra said smiling. "It would have been easier to claim Equestria if one of the princesses was at my side."

"You bastard!" Luna lodged he blade into Sombra's chest and watched as he stumbled backwards.

All of a sudden, Sombra began to laugh maniacally. "Your blade did not cut deep enough." he said as he used telekinesis to pull out Luna's sword. Sombra crushed the blade into the size of a thimble and tossed away.

Luna's breathing grew ragged and angry. Her coat appeared to slowly be turning from the dark blue it was, to a shade of black. A cough was heard. Luna turned towards the sound and saw Celestia struggle to her hooves. "Sister! Quickly, the elements!" she shouted.

Celestia nodded wearily and used her wing to open the chest containing the elements of harmony.

"No..." Sombra said. The dark unicorn started sprinting towards the two sisters as the six gemstones began to float around them. "NO!"

A beam shot from the elements and struck Sombra. The tyrant could feel himself getting weaker. With his last ounce of power he created a spell and said, "If I'm going down... I'm taking my empire with me!" as Sombra's body began to disintegrate, a black beam shot from his horn and engulfed the entire city in a bubble.

The earth shook violently. A fissure opened up beneath the entire empire and dragged all things connected to the ground at the time. Every building and every pony was sucked into the ground. Only a few pegasi soldiers and the royal sisters themselves managed to escape the collapsing empire. The survivors flew back to the hill where the invasion was launched.

Luna stared out at where the crystal city once stood. Sombra, She thought. You went to far you fool.

Celestia placed her wing on her sister, "Luna... It's time to go home."

Luna nodded and spread her wings. As they flew home, Celestia saw something flash in Luna's eyes. It appeared they turned catlike for a split second. Celestia dismissed it as her imagination and continued to fly home.

Author's Note:

Hopefully now you know why I told you to listen to kryptonite. Also, I'm sorry for not writing Luna in the Canterlot voice.:twilightsmile:

Comments ( 3 )

i dont know why this doesnt have more love. i really liked this story, though the ending seemed maybe a little rushed, but still it was a good read

5372970 thx. I'm not very good at endings :rainbowlaugh:

Now i wonder where the crystalized Sombra is... and how would Luna react if he came back... So many ideas the could be used! :pinkiehappy:

Login or register to comment