• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 11,774 Views, 932 Comments

The Problem With Magic - deathtap



An angry, bitter man bets with a rather strange character and ends up in the most unlikeliest world

  • ...
49
 932
 11,774

PreviousChapters Next
Day 19: Trains, Plains &... Airships?

Applejack looked around, “Pinkie? What're you doin' here?”

“Pink-” Aiden roared in laughter again, “Pinkie! She called you Pinkie!”

Spike grinned nervously, “Aiden, stop it, you're making it worse...” He whispered in a sing-song voice through gritted teeth. He did his best to prevent his eyes from gluing themselves onto Rarity without much success, she responded with a kind, friendly smile.

“What was that unearthly scream we just heard? We were walking past when we heard it.” Rarity looked at Atom, “And this isn't Pinkie, Applejack. For one thing she has a cyan colored mane, not the luscious pink, plus this pony is clearly a Pegasus, or did Pinkie suddenly sprout wings?”

“I'm not a 'she'!” Atom muttered, still refusing to turn around.

“Oh my. I'm terribly sorry, sir.” Rarity leaned in.

Spike flashed me a look. Uncannily, I knew what he wanted me to do.

“Okay, everypony, that's enough! There's too many of you here, and I need to get some sleep!” I shouted, the suddenness of my voice made Rarity jump a little. “This isn't my house, and the Dash's might get really angry if they found out that I've had this little gathering here without their consent.”

“I'm sure Rainbow wouldn't mi-”

Spike cut her off, “That's a good point, Forest. She must already have a lot on her mind without having to worry about us trashing the place...”

“Fine. I'll be going, then,” Aiden shoved Atom off of him, still unable to contain himself. “See you later, 'Pinkie'.” He roared with laughter as he left the house.

In other scenario, the joke would have been hilarious. But this wasn't one of those scenarios, and things were going from bad to worse. My eyes and Applejack's met, and a wave of guilt washed over me. Her eyes were red, she had been crying her eyes out. And I was probably the reason... no, I am the reason. Those things I said. It was simple; I was jealous. Jealous of the very pony who now sat on the floor with his back facing her. Deep in my heart, I knew what had to be done. And I hated it.

“Applejack, can I talk to you in private for a moment?” I needed to get us away from Atom to clear my thoughts.

The orange mare just nodded. Rarity gave her a reassuring smile, and a nod. We went round the back and into the yard. She was beautiful, the most beautiful creature I had ever seen, which was why this was going to be incredibly hard for me. Every cell in my body wanted me to stay with her. She was perfect! She was kind, nice, gentle, strong, but I knew that it could never be. Not unless I win the bet. And at the rate things were going, that wasn't going to happen. I couldn't risk it, I couldn't let her be with me only to turn around and leave her. That was something I was not willing to do. I had already hurt her too much.

“I... I wanted to apologize for my rude behaviour last night. You didn't deserve that. That was completely uncalled for. Sorry, Applejack. I'm a bad pers- pony! I'm a bad pony for making you cry.” That was way too close.

Applejack shifted on her hooves for a moment, “Forest, I thought about what ya said, and yer right. I do have issues. It's just... I can act like such a filly. I know it was unfair to you, but it was hard for me to put my past behind me. But, if you don't mind, and if you wanna try, we can start over? I'd very much like to see where we could end up.” She was blushing, and my heart jumped for joy! In that one moment she had made me the happiest man – stallion – in the whole omniverse. But... but... I couldn't. What was the point in trying to establish a relationship with her only to have to leave her? But how can I end this without breaking her poor heart.

“I... can't.” I forced myself to say. It felt like someone reached into my chest and ripped out my heart. The look on her face killed me, but I continued, “But it's because I remembered something about my past. I remembered it while we were travelling back here.” That seemed to pacify her a little. I had to go with it. “I mean... you remember that name I said to you while I was delirious with that fever, right?”

“Yeah. Tutela.”

“Yes. She's... my... my...” What I was going to say next was going to hurt me more than it was going to hurt her, “She's my special somepony.” I felt my heart sink into my gut. “I vaguely remember her. I'm sorry, Applejack. I'm so, so sorry.”

“What're you apologizin' for? That's great!” She smiled at me, “You remembered somethin' about your past!”

“You're... not upset?” I felt disappointed.

“Well, I can't say that I'm not, but if she's your special somepony, then there's nothin' more that needs to be said. I'm just a little angry that you didn't remember sooner.” Applejack laughed leaned over and gave me a gentle peck on the cheek, “We can still be friends.”

“Thank you. I... thank you. I'd like that very much.” I fought hard to hold my tears back. It was hard. “You're incredible, you know that? And... I just wish that things were different.”

“So do I.” Applejack replied gently.

We shared the next few moments in silence. Our eyes were watering. I don't know about her, but I had to remain strong and had to maintain my resolve. But a part of me just wanted to tell her how I really felt, and that every moment since our first kiss all I wanted to do was be with her.

Stay strong, Forest. For her.

As if on cue, Rarity exited the house and walked over to us.

“We're leaving.” She said stiffly.

“What's wrong, Rarity?” Applejack asked.

“Nothing. We're just leaving. Forest, you have a good night.”

Emotions flooded through me. Did Rarity recognize Atom? Was she going to tell on him? How would Applejack take to the news? What was going on?

Rarity walked off in a huff, and Applejack gave me one more reassuring look letting me know that everything was going to be alright. It broke my heart, I didn't want her to go. Not like this. But, no! I had to remain strong. Keep those tears inside, Forest! One drop will ruin everything! I shouted in my head.

I watched them go, my eyes never leaving them as they rounded the corner and started the trek towards Sweet Apple Acres. Only once did Applejack stop to look back to me. We held one another's eyes, even at that distance I could see them as clearly as if she were right there next to me. The most beautiful eyes in the world. Then she turned away and was gone.

It felt as if I had been holding my breath as I dropped to my knees and let it all out. Every tear that I held back, every torturous moment that I had kept inside. Everything. I let it out. It hurt. It hurt so much! Physical pain I could take, but not this. This was too much.

After a while, I'm not sure how long, I walked back into the house. Spike was sitting on a chair, his face was pink, but it wasn't from blushing. He looked over to me as Atom handed something to Spike.

“You okay, Forest? We... heard you...” Spike looked at me.

I wiped my eyes, “Fine. Just... I don't want to talk about it.”

“Then, is it really over between you two? I mean, really, really, over?”

I gave a single nod.

“At least we've got something in common, right Forest?” Spike let out an empty laugh.

“What happened?” I asked.

“Rarity... Rarity started to recognize me, I think.” Atom looked over to Spike, “Spike... well he...”

“I kissed Rarity, okay? I won't lie and say that I didn't want to, but I did it to stop her from discovering Atom, and now she hates me. She hates me, Forest! All because of... him!” Spike whipped his attention towards Atom, his eyes full of rage. “This is your fault!”

“That's not fair, Spike. I didn't ask you to go and kiss her! And I'm sorry, okay? But you can't blame me for that! I didn't mean for any of this to happen. How was I supposed to know she'd recognize me with this... coat.” Atom pointed to his chest, “I mean, just look at me! Applejack called me Pinkie for Luna's sake!”

We all stared at him for a moment, then Spike shook his head and laughed, “That was pretty funny.”

I had to admit, it was funny.

“Spike, really, I'm sorry.” Atom sat down where he stood.

The Dragon shrugged, “Well, I guess I would've been the odd one out if I didn't have my heart actually broken by the pony I love.” He stood up with his arms stretched out into the air, “I'm now a fully qualified member of the Broken Hearts Society!”

I just shook my head, while letting out a sarcastic laugh, “Should I invite Applejack to join then?”

Both Spike and Atom stared at me.

“It's really over this time.” I walked out of the living room with the intention of going to bed, “I'm going to sleep. I need some rest.”

“Okay. 'Night, Forest. I'll see you in the morning.” Spike stood up understanding that I didn't really want to talk about it. I saw him run his cheek.

“She slap you?” I couldn't help but ask.

“'Slap' isn't the right word. She more like clobbered me.” Spike sighed, “Guess I can't say I didn't deserve it. I'll take Atom to the hotel.”

“See you later, Forest.” Atom stood up and looked at himself, “I'm so getting Aiden back for this.”

I watched them leave, Spike giving me a reassuring nod before closing the front door behind them.

“So,” I heard a voice from the corner of the room, “I'm your special somepony, eh?”

“Had to be done. I couldn't let her have feelings for me. I'm losing our bet, and I'm not going to hurt her any more. It's better this way.” Was I saying that to Tutela, or to convince myself I had done the right thing? I wasn't sure. “Are you happy?”

“No, Forest. I've got nothing to say on the matter, just that... it felt strangely nice to be called your special somepony.” Tutela grinned, “A part of me wishes that were true.”

“What?” The shock evident in my voice.

“I'm kidding! Jeez, can't you take a joke?” I saw her roll her eyes.

Now that I noticed, Tutela looked a lot different than the last time. Her coat was still a deep black, but the horn on her head wasn't as sharp or blade-like as before, and it kind of resembled Aiden's or Twilight's now. But the biggest difference were the eyes. This time Tutela actually had pupils. Was she changing so that I could talk to her without getting scared? Well, whatever she was doing was working because I didn't find her scary at all. Well, I feared her a lot less than usual. “You look different.”

“Do you like it? I've been practising changing my form. Check this out.” Tutela turned from the pony-like creature to that of a woman. With the exception of the color, she looked like a real human being. “Well?”

“That's... nice.” I was confused, “Why are you practising changing shape?”

“What else am I supposed to do with all this free time?” She countered, “Just sit around and do nothing?”

“Good point.”

“You better start really trying to find the answer, Forest. You haven't got much time left, you know.” Then she leaned forwards closer to the screen, “And if you want your secret to be safe, you'll have to somehow get rid of that bracelet.”

“What secret?”

“The secret you've been hiding all this time, Forest. The clock is ticking.” She began to laugh.

“So what if I change back! My friends will stand by my side!”

“Will they, Forest? Do you really think that they'd forgive you to lying to them all this time about everything? Your entire existence here is nothing but a lie.”

She was right. I walked over the bed and dumped myself onto it, “You're right, Tutela. You're perfectly right.”

“‘Night, Forest.”

I grunted in response.


I woke up with a start. No dreams this time. Or if I had any I couldn't remember them. Walking out of the bedroom and into the bathroom, I took a nice long hot shower. After drying myself off with a slightly pink-stained towel, I went back into the bedroom and slipped my saddlebag back on. It was a lot easier now, almost second nature. It was simple to do, actually. You plopped the center part around your butt, then let the straps dangle along your sides. Then you just reach down and slip the leather straps through the buckles with your hooves and tighten.

Reaching inside one, I took out my coin-purse and frowned. I was literally penniless (bitless?). Without any money on me, I had to scrounge around the kitchen to look for something to eat. Nothing. Not a single morsel of food. I suspected that Rainbow had eaten and drank whatever was left. Not that I blamed the Dash's, they had a lot of other things to worry about than feeding me. So, I explored the lower part of the house, gazing at the pictures of Brian and Rainbow on the walls. There were so many of them. Pictures of them on picnics, going to places – always with the lack of people, though. Brian had enough sense to keep Rainbow's existence a secret. I shuddered to think what would have happened to her if someone else had discovered her first. How her life would have differed.

“You're one lucky mare, Rainbow.” I muttered looking at a photo of her dressed in a baby outfit. She must have been a little older than three in that photo. It was absolutely adorable.

There was a knock on the door.

“Hi, Forest!” An excited voice shouted at me when I opened the door.

“Pinkie!” I replied, smiling at her, “How've you been? Long time no see.”

“Has it been long? I haven't noticed!” She bounced around me, “Twilight said to come and get you! We're leaving for Canterlot soon to go and see that really awesome Race! Well, I'm going to see it! You're going to be part of it, right, right, right? I'm so super excited! I can't keep still!”

“Well I think Lavender's going to run the race, Pinkie. So, I'll be watching it with you this time 'round.” I grinned at her, “Let's go.”

We walked side by side, Pinkie telling me everything in her hyperactive way. Apparently she had not heard that things were over between Applejack and myself, because she kept trying to bribe me by using her friend as the ultimate reason why I should go to so-and-so's party, or eat at some restaurant, or even visit her workplace for some 'apple-eatin' goodness' – her exact words.

“Pinkie... it's over between Applejack and me. We're going to be friends, nothing more. There's a lot more to me than you believe.”

The pink pony stared at me, “You no longer with Applejack?” She looked so sad.

“It's okay, Pinkie. We're still good friends! Applejack and I had a nice long talk last night, so please don't be upset.” I hated seeing her upset. The way her hair deflated was like my kryptonite. “So, don't feel upset.”

“Oh. Okay.” Pinkie looked at me and tilted her head, “So, you're free?”

“Free?” I asked. “What do you mean?”

“As in 'free-to-find-somepony-else-that's-special' free, silly! Well, are ya? Huh? Huh?” Pinkie got down on her hooves like a cat ready to pounce on its prey.

“Well...” I began.

Pinkie stood up suddenly making me jump back out of reflex, “Because I know somepone who's really, really, really interest-” She cut herself off by putting her hooves in front of her mouth.

“What is it, Pinkie?” I asked, not really understanding what she had said.

Pinkie just shook her head.

“Something wrong?” I asked looking at her.

She made her eyes look away. She was hiding something, that much was certain.

“Pinkie?” I pressed, “You can tell me, you know.”

“No! I can't! I... I...”

She was looking so guilty, as if I had caught her with her hand in the cookie-jar... sorry, 'hoof' in the cookie-jar. It took me a second, “That was supposed to be a secret, right?”

She nodded.

“Then that's okay, Pinkie. I'll pretend that you didn't say anything, okay?”

“Oh, thank you, Forest. Twilight would've killed me if-” She put her hooves in front of her mouth again.

My mind did a double-take. Did she just say 'Twilight'? That can't be right. Not Twilight. That's... what?

“Did you say something, Pinkie? I didn't quite catch that,” I lied.

Twilight? I must have heard that wrong.

Pinkie shook her head, “I didn't say anything, Forest...” She was as bad a liar as Applejack!

I dropped it. Couldn't think on that. I'd just broken things off with one pony, I wasn't about to start things off with another. Besides, I still had very strong feelings for Applejack, and I doubted that would change any time soon. We walked together in relative silence, Pinkie humming a tune to herself as we arrived in front of the library. Lavender and Amethyst were already there talking to Spike and Twilight.

“Hi, Forest! Spike just told us that you're... fine? Is that right?” Lavender asked as she walked over to me and poked my side.

I nodded in response, “But I want to let you know that I'm not going to run...”

“What? Why? Forest, I hope you're not saying that because you think that I want to run it, are you?” Lavender was one sharp Pony, that was for sure.

“Well...”

“Good, because you have to run, Forest. You're the only one that can keep up with... him.” She pointed to a poster of a pony dressed in red with a yellow lightning bolt on it. The costume looked extremely familiar. “That's Flash Hoof. He's the fastest Earth Pony in Equestria... that is, until you beat him.”

“Wow... that's...” I didn't know what to say, “But I thought you wanted to run, Lavender.”

“I did! Until I heard he was running.” Lavender grunted in frustration, “And not only him, but the other fast ponies in Equestria will be there! These ponies are famous for their speed, Forest. I hate to admit this, but if I compete, I'd be left behind in the dust. Ponyville would lose!”

“Are they faster than me?” I asked.

“Maybe not on land,” Amethyst replied, “But you still have to swim quite a distance, and let's just say your swimming isn't the best. We're the smallest town that's competing in this race. Most of the other contestants come from really big cities.”

“Oh. Why is that?” I asked.

“Not many towns could afford the entrance fee. We were lucky because we worked hard to raise the funds to compete.” Amethyst replied, “Everypony in town chipped in.”

“Wow. How long ago was that?” I asked.

“Months ago. The idea was something that the Council had come up with to improve harmony between the various towns and cities in Equestria. Princess Celestia was against it at first, but I think she warmed up to it after Twilight convinced her that it'd be a lot of fun.”

“The Council?” I had no idea what Equestrian politics were like. I just assumed that the Princesses ruled the lands – but if that was the case, wouldn't they be queens instead?

Twilight had looked over to me and Amethyst at the mention of her name. She smiled at me when our eyes met before she turned her attention away and resumed talking to Derpy, who had just arrived with her daughter a moment before.

“I think that Princess Luna is the most eager to get this race started. She's always loved these kind of things.” Amethyst grinned.

“Really?” I asked, surprised. Every time I had met with the dark blue princess, it had been rather uncomfortable. Yet, these girls talked about her as if she were good friends with them all. Is it possible for a princess to be friends like that with her subjects? “Well, then if it's okay with you, Lavender, can I run the race.”

Lavender grinned then nodded. “Now all that's needed is for you is to try on the costume!”

Scootaloo arrived a few moments later.

“Hey, hey. Look who's here!” Pinkie shouted.

“How's Featherweight?” Lavender asked, grinning from ear to ear.

“H-he's fine. He's flying back to Canterlot now.” She replied blushing. “He'll meet us there.”

“Is everypony here?” Twilight asked interrupting the conversation.

We all looked around. Yes, indeed all the members of the Ponyville's Race Around Equestria Team were present.

“Okay,” Twilight turned towards the library, “Rarity, we're ready!”

On cue, three ponies walked out dressed in a full body suit. The head was colored purple, then there was a strip of yellow in a lightning bolt shape around the neck area that continued down the front part of the front hooves. After that, the a light blue color covered the front half of the torso area and the rear half of the front hooves, with a thin pink strip that made a diagonal slash before the entire rear half was in white. The shoes were an orange color, as well as the border around the eyes and the ears.

We all did a collective gasp.

“That's... a lot of colors...” I commented.

Rarity stepped out, “Well, we are the town that is representing the Elements of Harmony. So, it's only natural for all the colors to be used.” Rarity beamed, “But I do agree it does seem a little tacky. I've made unique after-race clothing for each of you, but I have to put the final touches in Canterlot tonight at my boutique there. Besides, from what I've heard of the other costumes, ours is by far the best.”

“That's because we have one of the best fashion designers in Equestria design them,” Twilight smiled at her friend. “We should get going.”

Our models took off their costumes. They were Applebloom, Sweetie Belle and a Pegasus pony I had never met before. Apparently her name was Cotton Cloudy. All three of them grinned at us as they posed and showed off the costumes.

“Forest, you'll have to forgive me, but I didn't have time to complete yours fully.” Rarity said handing me my costume. It was essentially the exact same thing as everyone else's except that my costume didn't have any part of it covering my head.

“That's okay, Rarity. I'll manage.”

She handed me a pair of goggles, “I do hate not completing things.”

We all walked together, me following the others as I wasn't sure where we were going. As we strolled through Ponyville, the citizens throughout the town cheered us on, some ran out of their homes, while others poked their heads out of their windows and doors.

“You guys better bring home the cup!” A black stallion shouted from his second story window.

A cyan earth pony ran up to us, “Make us proud, girls... and Forest!” She grinned at me remembering that I wasn't a female when she saw me give her wry smile.

The cakes were outside and they gave us each a glass of the most delicious juice.

“Take care of Pinkie for us, Forest.” Mr Cake said to me.

“She's coming?” I asked.

“Of course. The Elements of Harmony are all supposed to go... that's why I'm not taking part in the race, Forest. We're the guests of honor.” Twilight answered.

Sure enough, the rest of the Elements arrived. Fluttershy walked next to Applejack, who gave me a warm smile.

Great! I thought, Now I have to be near the pony I have the biggest crush on throughout this entire event! How am I going to survive?

Fluttershy had a beautiful saddle on her back, and on it was Tessie, my 'pet' rat!

“Um... I hope you don't mind... but Tessie really wanted to go...” Fluttershy said shyly.

I grinned, “That's perfectly fine with me!”

We then heard a voice call out and looked up. Rainbow Dash flew down and landed next to us, “Hey, everypony!”

We all returned the greeting.

“I'll meet you guys there tomorrow. I'll fly over in the morning.” We understood, she wanted to spend all the time she could with her father, and she would fulfil her obligations to both her title as an Element and as a daughter. “Besides,” She continued, “I'm only taking part in the after-show with the rest of the Wonderbolts.”

“Will you be making a Sonic Rainboom?” Scootaloo asked excitedly.

I turned my head to one side, “Sonic rain... boom?”

“How can you not know what a Sonic Rainboom is?” Scootaloo's opened wide in shock.

“Uh... amnesia, remember?”

I grinned when her expression did not change.

Rainbow floated over to me, “Oh! You're going to see something awesome!” She beamed at me.

Just then Aiden walked up and waved when saw us looking his way. Twilight turned away from him, and his wave died in mid-air, while his expression dropped.

“Wow, Twilight really has it in for that guy.” I muttered.

“That's 'cause Twilight's angry with him fer not tellin' her about his feelin's sooner.” Applebloom confided in me, “She's got somepony special in mind, but I'm not sure who it is. Yet.” She grinned, “But I'm gonna find out!”

“You're coming with us?” That was going to be fun. I liked Applebloom, she was always kind and warm towards me. Come to think of it, she was perhaps the very first pony to actually consider me a friend. Well, at least I liked to think she considered me a friend.

“Alright everypony, let's keep going,” Twilight said when we had our fill of snacks.

Aiden, Spike and I were walking at the rear of the group when we heard a noise.

Pssst!” The three of us looked and saw Atom, still pink as ever standing behind a building.

We all snuck up to him.

“What's up?” Spike asked.

Atom looked at us shyly, “I want to come with... but there's a problem...”

“What's the problem? Nopony recognizes you, and I doubt Rarity is going to think about you after Spike's heroism yesterday...”

“What happened?” Aiden asked me, interupting my sentence.

“Ask Spike. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, so you've got nothing to worry about.”

“Forest, Forest, Forest, you've been here how long?”

“Three weeks almost.” I replied.

“Three weeks, and you still don't know? Pinkie... well, let's just say that despite her aloofness and her... 'Pinkie-ness', nopony can slip by her unrecognized.” Atom smiled, “We're going to have to make her Pinkie Promise not to tell anypony who I am.”

“I doubt...” Aiden began.

“No, he's right,” Spike spoke up, “Pinkie can tell. Pinkie can always tell. She's Pinkie.”

She couldn't tell I was a human... I muttered in my head. “Okay, then let's make Pinkie Pie swear.”

As we walked out, Pinkie appeared in front of us. Atom ducked behind Spike automatically.

“What are you boys doing?” She asked tilting her head to one side.

We all looked at each other. “Pinkie, we need to tell you a really big secret, but you have to swear that you'll tell nopony. Promise?”

Pinkie did her standard promise routine. When she was done, Atom stepped out and smiled.

“Hi, Pinkie.”

Pinkie eyes opened wide, her mouth dropped, and for the first time since I've known her she was a lot loss for words.

Atom?” She asked, “Is that really you?”

“Yes, Pinkie. It is. Please, please, please don't tell anypony else, okay?”

Pinkie sat down, “I made a promise... but... but...”

I could see conflicting thoughts flying through her head. Maybe it was not fair suddenly shoving this burden onto her like this. Did we go too far on the poor mare?

“Please, Pinkie.” Atom repeated.

“But... but...”

“Pinkie,” I stood next to her, “It's up to Atom to tell Applejack that he's back, okay? It wouldn't be fair on her if you told her.”

“But... but...” Pinkie looked at me. “Okay, Forest. But I don't like this.”

“I know, Pinkie. Neither do I. But it's not our secret to tell.” She frowned, “Aw, don't act all sad. Tell you what, I'll buy you whatever you want in Canterlot! It will be a present from me.”

She smiled weakly, “Okay.”

We all headed for the train station. The train chugged along, the Canterlot Express, the same one I had taken before arrived at the platform, but Twilight and the others did not board it. Confused, I mentioned it to Spike.

Spike grinned, “That's because we're not going to Canterlot by train, Forest.”

“Then how?”

“You'll see,” He giggled, “It's a surprise for everypony.”

Another train arrived, only this one going in the opposite direction arrived as soon as the Canterlot Express departed. This one only had one carriage and one engine. As we boarded, more and more ponies came along and waved to us. Some had signs, while others were just cheering as the train departed. It was a pretty overwhelming reception.

I was sitting in one of the compartments when Aiden came along and plopped his flank next to mine. Atom sat opposite us with Spike.

“I... I just don't understand why Twilight's so angry with me!” Aiden stated quietly. He looked at her through the corner of his eyes.

“Pinkie... did mention that she's mad at you for telling her your feelings so late in the day.” I replied, equally as quiet, “I think she's just angry that you didn't tell her sooner.”

“Well, that's partially your fault. When I saw you and Twilight enter my bakery, I got so jealous.” He sighed, “I hadn't seen Twilight smile like that in a long, long time. She really had a good night with you on your not-date.”

“What's a not-date?” Atom asked.

Spike put his arm over Atom's shoulders, “It's when a date isn't a date. They went out as friends.”

“Then it wasn't a date at all... wait... oh, I get it!” Atom smacked his head with his hoof.

We all laughed together.

“What's so funny!” Pinkie jumped out at us from above our heads. She had somehow managed to fit herself in the overhead baggage area and was peering down at us.

“We're just laughing at your pink-twin over there,” Aiden grinned maliciously at Atom.

Atom made a face, but laughed as well. What was done was done. It was a mean practical joke, but in the end it really did serve its purpose – the disguise worked!

“So... what do we call 'him'?” Pinkie asked quietly, “Since we can't call him you-know-what because you-know-who might overhear.”

“Fandango.” Aiden grinned at us. When it was obvious that none of us knew what that was he sighed. “It was the name of the color of the dye.”

“I'll go with it. Better than anything he's done to me so far,” Atom grumbled.

We all cracked up.

“You boys seem to be havin' a good time,” Applejack said plopping herself in the seat across the aisle from us, “What's gotcha all smilin'?”

“Spike told us a really terrible joke.” Aiden replied, he was sitting closest to her, “Right, Spike?”

“Oh, it wasn't that funny.” Spike grinned nervously.

I looked up at Pinkie, “Are you going to sit up there all through? How'd you get up there in the first place?”

“Du-uh! I climbed up. How else?” She grinned at me as if that explained it all.

“Tryin' to understand Pinkie's gonna get yer brain melted.” Applejack laughed, “She's probably the hardest pony to understand out of all of us.”

All through this, Atom – or Fandango – was staring out the window. His pink hue failed to disguise his pink blush.

“What's with yer friend?” Applejack asked motioning to Atom.

We all jumped in on that at the same time, each one of us coming with a reason. Whatever Pinkie's was, it made Aiden roar in laughter.

“He's just shy, Applejack. He's not good with meeting new ponies.” Spike said when it was clear that no one else had a good reason. Brilliant!

We felt the train slowing down at that moment, and Twilight stood up. “This is our stop.” She flashed another angry look at Aiden before heading out of the carriage.

“Aiden, why'd you have ta kiss her?” Applejack asked quietly while standing up and looking at him.

That explained so much! No wonder he would always duck away from the subject.

“You kissed Twilight!” Spike practically yelled, “And you ask why she's so mad at you!”

Aiden blushed and frowned, “Look, it was stupid of me, okay? I know it was. But I... no, no excuses, it was a pretty dastardly thing. I sort of... just did it.”

“It most certainly was. Girls don't like being kissed like that. It needs to be... special.” Applejack looked over to me at that moment making my face explode.

It was heaven having her look at me like that, and I felt so warm and cared for, but then I felt daggers hitting the side of my head and my eyes found their way over to Atom who was staring at me with venom. I just grinned nervously in response.

When I got off the train, we weren't at a station at all. In fact, there wasn't anything around, except for a large expanse of green. I looked at the others, but they were as confused as I was. Finally, Twilight walked ahead of us and turned around.

“Welcome, friends. Today the Princess Celestia and Luna have decided that the Elements of Harmony are to arrive in the new flagship Intrepid Explorer! The first ship designed to explore the far reaches or our world, beyond the Known Lands! And we get to ride on it on its maiden voyage!”

The girls all screamed in delight, and Aiden eyes opened wide, stunned. Atom just stood there flabbergasted and Spike grinned from ear to ear. I, on the other hand, had no idea how to react.

“So, fillies and gentlecolts, allow me to introduce our ride, the magnificent airship, the Intrepid!”

And there it was, sailing down from the clouds, a ship attached to a hot-air balloon. A blimp! But unlike the blimps I had seen in magazines from Earth, this one was brightly colored, with all sorts of patterns. The ship itself looked amazing, like an old ship, with the sails coming out of the sides of the main hull instead of on top of it, as in traditional boats. Probably a smart thing, considering the masts would probably punch a hole through the balloon.

My mouth dropped to the ground in amazement. That was the most wonderful thing I had seen... that wasn't a beautiful mare, that is. My eyes drifted again to Applejack, the way she stood there gazing up at the ship, the way the light shined off of her... I was in love with her. I knew it. Deep down, I tried to deny the feelings, avoiding the 'L' word like the plague, but the harder I tried to push the feelings aside, I knew them to be true. If it wasn't love, then I don't know what love is.

She caught me gazing at her, and I quickly averted my attention; my face felt hot while I did so.

Before the airship touched the ground, four leg-like structures descended from specially made grooves in the ship's sides. It landed on them perfectly and gently in front of us.

“Amazing, isn't she?” Spiked asked.

“She is...” I replied, and grinned, “Oh, you mean the ship?”

We both laughed at that joke. It wasn't a big boisterous laugh, but a light-hearted one.

“I don't understand you, Forest. If you still like Applejack, then why break it off?”

I looked down, “I can't tell you. I have reasons, okay?” Like the fact that a Changeling literally has me by the balls and if I lose this bet, I'm as good as dead – as far as I was concerned. Life imprisoned with her is as good as a death sentence.

I could tell he wanted to know more, but he dropped it. I liked that about Spike, he understood me.

We all walked together towards the ship, except Pinkie, who was hopping along side us.

“Welcome to the Intrepid, I'm the captain Far Sight, and I wish to welcome the Elements of Harmony on board this humble vessel.” He bowed low to us.

I knew he was bowing to Twilight and the rest, but it still felt nice to be bowed to.

“Thank you, Captain, but only five of the Elements will be travelling with you today,” Twilight replied, “The Element of Loyalty has other business to attend to for now.”

“Ah, yes. We have heard that Rainbow Dash will not be travelling with us, and although we are saddened by her lack of attendance, we understand. Family is more important.” He looked at her, “The Princess has told us about her father being in hospital.”

Twilight nodded, “Okay, everypony. Let's get on board!”

Applebloom rushed forwards with Sweetie Belle and Pinkie Pie, much to the amusement of the crew. Rarity and Fluttershy boarded next, along with Spike. Twilight and Applejack followed before the rest of us. When I got closer, I couldn't help but stop in my tracks and marvel at the ship's beauty – and size. It was overwhelmingly huge! How did they manage to get it to fly?

The word 'magic' came to mind.

“You coming?” Aiden asked at the entrance.

“Are you kidding? I wouldn't miss this for the world!” I jogged into the ship.

The first thing that I saw was a large empty hold. It was a complete contrast to the beauty of the exterior. There was nothing here but empty space, perhaps to store souvenirs for the upcoming voyage. Aiden waited up for me along with Atom, while the captain and the others had already gone on ahead. I could see them walking up a ramp that ascended into a higher level.

As we came off the ramp, we pushed past a double-door with the words 'Lower Cargo Hold' written in black letters on a golden plaque. The second level was the crew quarters, we could tell by all the doors that lined the halls. We walked to the front of the ship where another set of double-doors opened out into a small lounge area with four doors, each had a symbol on it which I didn't recognize.

“These are your quarters for tonight,” The captain stated, “I apologize that you'll have to share these four rooms. We didn't expect so many visitors. They should be ample in size, they're suites reserved for... well, anypony that has a right to travel on this ship. They were originally for the Princesses, but then again, I doubt that they'd have enough time to embark on a voyage like this. Perhaps a slight oversight by the builders.”

Curious, we all filed into one of the rooms. Along the hull at the front of the ship, the 'bow' in nautical terms, the rooms had windows that stretched from the floor to the ceiling. Right now we got a complete panoramic view of the plains where the ship was 'docked'.

“This is awesome!” Applebloom squealed leaning against the glass.

“Careful, Applebloom, we don't know how strong that glass is.” Applejack stated nervously.

“It isn't glass, ma'am,” The captain explained, “It's layers of quartz crystals that's built into the ships hull. This is the strongest part of the ship. We could ram into a mountain-side, and these rooms would be perfectly intact.”

“Doesn't that make the ship too heavy to fly?” Twilight asked, also leaning against the window.

“We've managed to balance the weight out...” The captain continued to explain the mechanics of the ship's design while I looked around the room we were in.

Pinkie hopped next to me, “Which room you stayin' in, Forest?”

She made me jump. “You're going to give me a heart-attack if you keep doing that.” I sighed, “I suppose whichever room is free.”

“Ooh. Can I stay with you?”

The question brought a stunned silence from everypony in the room.

“Uh... I...” I didn't know what to say. Granted, Pinkie has stayed over with me before, but...

“Pinkie, you can't be so brash, young lady!” Rarity stated, scandalized. “A mare much show some class, my dear.”

“She doesn't mean like that, Rarity.” I defended, blushing at her implication, “She means something like a... a...”

“Slumber-party?”

“Thank you, Twilight. Yes, like a slumber-party. Right, Pinkie?” Just because I said it, didn't make it any less embarrassing.

“Uh-huh! That's exactly what I meant!” Pinkie grinned, then looked at Rarity with a confused expression, “Why? What did you think I meant, Rarity?”

Rarity blushed, “Nothing! I didn't say anything!”

“Well, we should be going. If you need anything, there will be a crew member stationed just outside your rooms. Just inform him and it will be done to the best of our abilities.” The captain turned to go.

“How long will the journey take?” Twilight questioned.

The captain thought about it for a moment, “If the winds with us, it should be around four or five hours. If not, perhaps seven. No matter what, though, we'll be in Canterlot tonight. You have my word.”

“I'm going to take a look around.” I stated, and headed out the door after the captain. I really wanted to see the upper decks.

Aiden followed along with Spike and Atom.

“Don't you get the feelin' the boys are hidin' something from us?” Applejack said loudly just before the door closed.

Every single one of us blushed as we turned back to face her just as the door closed.

Oh no! We've just confirmed that we are hiding something from her! I yelled in my head.

“Guys, what are we going to do?” Atom asked whispering, “She suspects something!”

“Just act like Forest!” Aiden whispered back, “Completely clueless.”

The three of them laughed together, while I made a face at them.

“Very funny. I'm not clueless!” I muttered.

That only brought more laughter from the three of them.

“Aw, forget you guys! I'm going upstairs.” I harrumphed and stalked off, the three of them laughing even louder than before.

The ramps to the main-deck were numerous, so we ascended the one just outside the second room on the starboard side of the ship. On deck, we were greeted by a gentle breeze and a bunch of crew members running to and fro along the sides of the ships where the sails were tied down. They moved like clockwork, each one specifically doing a certain job. They were preparing the sails for 'lift-off', but it was quite exciting.

The captain had reached the quarterdeck, standing proudly at his command. He did not say a word as the sailors finished up, and stood at attention. Then he turned to his first-mate and gave a single nod.

“Unicorns at the ready!” He shouted.

Ten unicorns took a step forward, five on each side of the ship.

“Let loose!” The first-mate called.

The unmistakable aura of glowing magic suddenly appeared and it floated up into the large balloon above us. As it did, we could all feel the ship starting to shift under our feet. Within moments, the ship was slowly rising up in the air. Then, the captain gave another nod, and the first-mate shouted the order to stop. We were rising quickly, and I couldn't resist the urge to run to the forecastle.

Standing at the very front of the ship, I watched as we started upwards towards the clouds.

I couldn't resist, I stood on the railing over and shouted: “I'm the king of the world!”

The wind blew my mane back, the feeling of the breeze, the excitement, the life that I felt... it all made me so glad that I came here, to this world. In less than three weeks I had come to love this land, and those that dwell within it. Every memory, both the good and the painful, was precious to me.

“Won't be long now.” I whispered to the wind, “Might as well enjoy the time I have left.”

“Something the matter, Forest?” Spike asked, walking and leaning on the railing next to me watching the ground get further and further away.

Stepping down from the ledge before I got vertigo, I shook my head at him, “Nah, just talking to myself.”

The girls arrived on the deck, and Applebloom ran over to us, grinning from ear to ear in her super-cute way. We all stood there and relished the feeling. I don't know what thoughts went through them all, but I felt refreshed. It was as if everything was suddenly clear.

“Wait!” A sudden shout snapped us out of reverie, “Where's Derpy?” It was Lavender.

“Oh no! How could we forget her?” Amethyst replied.

“You guys wait here, I'll go get her...” Scootaloo was about to fly away, when she was enveloped in purple magic that held her down.

“No, I'll send a note via Spike to her. No use tiring out both of our flyers. She'll just have to come directly to Canterlot on a later train.” Twilight then walked over to Spike who fished out a quill and paper from a bag that he was carrying on his back.

When the letter was done, Spike blew on it and it vanished in a puff of purple-green smoke.

So that's the breath that sends things. I wonder how Princess Celestia reacted when garbage started appearing. I grinned to myself.

“Do you guys want to see the crow's nest?” The captain walked over to us, he had a pipe in his mouth.

I suddenly had the urge to smoke, not because I liked it, but because it was a pipe on a ship! How cool is that? It took me a moment to register what he had just asked.

“Yes please!” I shouted. I've always wanted to be in one, and now that we were on a ship flying through the air, I would be insane not to take advantage of such an offer.

“Sure. Blue Breeze!” He shouted for a crew member, a blue Pegasus pony with a yellow or blonde mane. His red eyes looked intimidating. “This here is Blue Breeze, one of our finest flyers. He'll show you the way.”

“Um... hello, I'm Forest.” I said offering a hoof.

He shook it and smiled, “Blue Breeze, as the cap'n said. Welcome aboard the Intrepid Explorer. Pleasure having you. I've got fifty bits on you and your team, so I'm going to make extra sure that the winds are behind us and we have a safe and uneventful flight. Also, I'm an ex-native of Ponyville myself.”

“You use to live in Ponyville?” Spike asked, “I've never seen you before.”

“Blue Breezy!” Pinkie bounded over to us, landing on me, making me lie flat on the ground, “Ohmigod you're exactly the same! How've you been?”

“Pinkie knows you? That confirms it!” Spike shook his head and laughed.

“BB used to work with Rainbow,” Pinkie answered us, “But he had to leave. I think I threw a farewell party, right?”

Blue Breeze laughed, “Oh yes, you did. But it was short, because it also was Cranky's farewell – he tried to escape without Pinkie knowing.”

That seemed to jog everyone's memory.

“Oh yeah! I remember that party!” Spike laughed, “That was a long time ago.”

“Indeed it was. Anyway, after I left, I took odd-jobs here and there, studying weather, until my skills were scouted and I was asked to join this crew. So now I'm not only part of this amazing crew, but I'm also the foremost expert in strange wind-related weather! You never know what the weather will be like out there, beyond the Known Lands, and I'm the best pony for the job!”

He stared off in the distance, he seemed to relish the thought of going forth towards the unknown. The look in his eyes, the freedom he must have felt. I liked the thought of it, and a part of me wanted to go too. To go beyond what is known, to explore strange new lands, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where nopony has gone before!

Ah, the thrill of adventure.

“How long are you guys going for?” I asked.

“Who knows? A year, maybe two.” Blue replied.

“That's a long time,” Applejack stated walking next to me. Her proximity to me made my face explode. What the hell was wrong with me? “Won't your special somepony miss you?”

Blue laughed nervously, “I... don't got a special pony.” He blushed.

“Well, who needs somepony special when you've got this beautiful girl to take care of,” Aiden patted the ship's deck with his hoof, “At least she won't break your heart.”

I flinched at that remark, and we all looked at Twilight, but she just looked away.

“Now hold on just one dog gone minute...” Applejack started.

“It's okay, Applejack. He's right. I may have... overreacted a little.”

“No, Twilight. You didn't. You reacted exactly how you should have. It's my fault for not telling you my feelings sooner, and it's my fault for... forcing that kiss onto you. That was completely wrong of me. I was just... angry. Can we be friends?” Aiden walked over to her and offered her a hoof, “Like old times?”

“I'll try, Aiden,” Twilight replied touching Aiden's hoof, “But I can't make any promises.”

Aiden nodded, “That's better than 'no'.”

Blue coughed politely, “So, Forest, ready to go up?”

“Am I!”

He led me to what I can only describe as a bucket. He flew outside the bucket as I hoisted myself up. The bucket swung out over the immense drop over the side of the ship, and I had to admit, I got pretty freaked out. It was a long, long, long way down. Already clouds were floating by underneath us. But I was determined to see the crows nest, and so I continued pulling myself up.

The little nest sat elegantly on top of the the center of the balloon, and as I arrived, I couldn't help but stare in wonder at the world above Equestria. The clouds were something else, beautiful and amazing. They looked like balls of cotton.

Blue floated over to a cloud, and pushed it along side and sat on it, “So, how's the view?”

“Are... are you riding a cloud?” I asked incredulously.

“Uh... yeah. Pegasi can sit and rest on clouds.” He looked at me strangely, “That's common knowledge, buddy.”

“Yeah. Of course it is. So, I can't...”

“No! Of course not! You'd fall through.” Blue looked at me shocked. “Please don't try...”

“I won't! Falling to certain death isn't my idea of a good time.”

Blue kept talking about himself. I was only half listening, taking in the breathtaking views that spread out in front of me. In the distance I could see Canterlot slowly getting closer to us. The palace still stunned me. How was it still standing on the edge of the cliff like that?

“Are you ready to go down? It's starting to get dark and cold.” Blue said after a while.

“Oh? Not that you mention it...” I looked around, the sun was beginning to set, “How long have we been up here?”

“A while.”

Getting back into the bucket, I started to lower myself, while Blue kept a constant vigil on me.

About halfway down I heard a shout by the captain below. It didn't sound good.

“Watch out! Squall! Squall! Lower the sails, you land-lubbers! This isn't a drill!”

Blue’s eyes opened wide, “Forest! You've got to hurry and lower yourself down now!” He practically shouted.

“Dear Celestia!” The captain shouted staring up at us, “Get that pony down here this instant, crewman! That's an order!”

“Come on, Forest! Come on!” Blue insisted.

“I'm...” I grunted as I lowered the rope as fast as I could, but the latch thing that prevented it from descending fast didn't work! “Trying!”

“All hands, brace for impact! Blue, secure yourself!” The captain yelled.

Blue flew into the bucket with me and held the rope, “Hold on!”

The ship shifted to the right, the balloon getting pushed almost all the way over so that it almost touched the sails on the port side. The sudden drop in altitude forced us in the bucket to suddenly get flung over and out of the boat, much like a sling. The rope couldn’t hold. It was then that I heard a horrible noise. The noise a rope makes when it snaps. The next thing I noticed was that I was weightless!

“Forest!” I heard someone shout.

“What are you doing?” That was Spike, “Atom! Stop!”

A pink Pegasus dove over the edge of the ship and right down at me, but without full use of his wings to propel him down after me, he would never catch up.

Blue was tangled in the bucket, the rope had somehow twisted itself over him. He struggled to get himself free. If I could save him, he could help me! I pulled on the rope, and he moved in the opposite direction. He tried biting on it.

That what when I remembered the dagger! Reaching into the pocket, I pulled out Spike's knife, and proceeded to cut the rope. Blue did not move as I cut through each one. The last of them cut free, the Pegasus opened his wings, but at the speed we fell, he zipped up and away from me.

No! No, no, no! I screamed in my head, looking up as the two Pegasi started to give chase. They're never going to catch me...

The ground below was quickly rising up towards me. If only Rainbow Dash were there! If only...

My life flashed before my eyes. Everything that I had ever done zipped by in quick succession. Earth, my childhood, my mother, my father, the stabbing incident, Tutela, my first meeting with the ponies, Zecora, the Timberwolf, the Ursas, the Princesses, the clock tower landing on me, Brian, the Everfree Forest... everything! Even Tutela couldn't save me. With this bracelet on...

“Oof!” I shouted as I hit something. Was I dead? Did I hit the ground? Wait, that was too quick...

Standing up, I looked down. Suffice to say, I was shocked, happy, and relieved that I was still alive.

Atom spread his wings and did a long loop around, while Blue expertly landed in front of me.

“Forest, are you okay? I'm sorry about before... it was out of reflex.” He rushed over to me, “How are you standing here?”

Before I could answer, Atom landed on the cloud as well, “Forest, thank Celestia you're alright. I thought you were a goner. How are you able to stand on a cloud?”

“Excuse me while I kiss this cloud first.” I landed a large sloppy kiss on my life-saver.

“Well, then I'm kind of glad that I didn't save you...” Atom joked.

I was still shaking, but I managed to give a little giggle at that. My heart was still beating at a million beats a minute.

“What happened?” I asked.

“A squall. They're not common... it was just bad timing, Forest. If you had been in the nest, you would have been safe.” Blue replied, “I'm sorry.”

“Buy me a drink.” I shouted and sat myself down on my rump.

“I'll buy you a whole crate, if that's what you want.” The blue Pegasus looked at me guiltily, “I can't believe I left you like that... not after you saved me.”

I replaced the dagger, I had been holding onto all the while. How? I had no idea. Perhaps I somehow felt that it would help me for some reason.

Atom pushed his wings back, “Okay, now for the ultimate question; how are you standing here?”

“That's a good question. I don't know.”

“Perhaps one of the Unicorns cast a cloud-walking spell on you? I know that it's possible...” Blue offered.

Atom looked at the crewman, “No. Forest is allergic to magic. Which makes this scenario extremely confusing.”

“We can continue this on the ship. Hang on. I'm going to push this cloud over.” Blue spread his wings and got behind the cloud and began to push it upwards and forwards.

Scootaloo flew over and landed in front of me, “Forest? How...”

“No idea.” I replied before she could finish the question.

“Sorry, I was in the toilet when the squall hit. I didn't know anything until just now.” Scootaloo looked at me for a moment, “Are you okay?”

“A little shaken, but glad that I didn't hit the ground. Clouds are a lot softer...” I laughed weakly at that, but I was too happy to care. Surviving a fall like that and walking away without a scratch deserved a laugh.

It didn't take us long to reach the ship, and when I landed on the deck, I proceeded to smooch its lovely wooden surface. Never before had I loved ships more than this moment.

“You've got a lot of explainin' to do!” Applejack said angrily walking over to me.

“I don't know how I managed to land on the cloud...”

“No, not that! Him! Why is he here?” Applejack pointed behind me.

Atom looked away.

“Oh. Right. That.” I scratched my head, “Um...”

“It isn't his fault, Applejack,” Aiden stepped between the two of us, “We met him by accident during our trip to Esperia.”

“You... you met him in Esperia!” Twilight shouted, “You... lied to me!”

“No, we didn't!” Spike stood in front of me, “We just... didn't mention it.”

“So this was the big secret you've all been hidin' on us!” Applejack was livid!

“Please, Applejack, Forest just...”

I got up and placed a hoof on Aiden's shoulder, “It's enough, Aiden.”

“But...”

“I'll take it from here.” I stood in front of him, and face Applejack. “I knew who he was, yes. We did indeed meet him in Esperia, and he tagged along on our return.”

“Well, why didn'cha say anythin', Forest? I thought I could trust you.” Applejack looked at me as if I had struck her.

“What would I say? ‘Oh, by the way, I ran into your ex-fiancé, you know the one. The one that you still have feelings for. The one who you broke it off with for the exact same reason you broke it off with me.’ What could I say, Applejack? Tell me! Please, because it kills me to see you like this. I just want you to be happy. I'm not the smartest pony around, but I know what I saw. You can't lie to me and tell me that this pony means nothing to you. And, it wasn't my secret to tell. I'm sorry for hiding it from you, but I had no choice! I'm... just...”

I felt light-headed.

“I thought after that incident in the hospital, you'd understand me better. Guess I was wrong.” Applejack didn't looked at me when she said those words.

I shook my head, trying to get the blood back there.

“Forest, are you okay?” Aiden asked.

“Fine... fine...” I started swaying. “Actually...”

I felt something hit my face. It was the desk of the ship.

“Somepony get him to the infirmary!” I heard the captain shout.

My eyes slowly closed, and I looked up to see Applejack staring down at me. Was it hatred I saw in those eyes? No. Not from Applejack. Disappointment. That was it. She was disappointed with me. Couldn't blame her. Couldn't blame her one bit.


I awoke with a jolt.

“Ah, welcome back. You've been out for some time.” A voice said.

“Spike? Where... where are we?”

“Canterlot docks. Everypony's gone out. I decided to stay.” Spike looked at me, “You use my dagger, didn't you?”

“Yes. How did...”

“The blade is magic, Forest. You're allergic to magic. That was probably why. Or perhaps your fall just knocked you out. It was a pretty long one...”

“Applejack?” I asked.

“I'm not going to lie to you, Forest. She and Atom went out together. I think for a nice long talk. After you passed out, they did some reconciliation, got to talking... I don't know. Personally, I was more concerned about you.” He patted my back, “You always seem to get yourself into these messes.”

“Seems that way.” I replied, and sighed.

“Oh, hey, Forest! You're awake!” Applebloom rushed in, “Thanks for bringin' Atom back! I know my sister's gonna be just fine now.”

The words were like a sledgehammer to the stomach.

“N-no problem! Anything for my favorite filly.”

“I ain't a filly no more, Forest, I'm a mare!”

I grinned, “Well, then, anything for you, my favorite mare.”

Applebloom just giggled at that. “Are you comin'? We're all meetin' in town for dinner.”

“Thanks, but I think I'm going to sit this one out. I'm still a little dizzy from the fall, and it's late... I think I'll just rest up. Tomorrow's an early day.”

“I know! Scootaloo's already sleepin'. Sweetie and me are just so bored. We know nothin' about Canterlot, and everypony's busy.” Applebloom pouted. “They all still treat us like fillies.”

“Why not ask Blue to show you around? I'm sure that he's got shore-leave.” I offered.

Applebloom's face lit up, “Thank you, Forest! Now why didn't I think of that!” She jumped up and darted out of the room.

“Why don't you go ahead too, Spike?” I asked.

“No. I don't want to run into Rarity and her...” He couldn't say it, or rather, he didn't want to say it.

“Suit yourself. I'm going to sleep.” I turned away from him pulling the blanket over me.

There was a long moment of silence.

“It's okay to cry, Forest,” Spike said quietly, “I know how it feels.”

“It sucks, doesn't it?” I replied, feeling the tears fall from my eyes and onto the pillow. The thought that Atom and Applejack were together killed me. It really, really killed me.

“Yes. It does,” Spike sighed.

“Well, there's one good thing, though.”

I could tell that Spike had no idea what I was going to say. “What's that?”

“The Broken Hearts Society has one less member.”

We both laughed. But my tears didn't stop, and the humor died in my throat.

“Good night, Forest.”

“Good night, Spike.”

PreviousChapters Next