• Published 16th Nov 2015
  • 6,350 Views, 235 Comments

A Dazzling Sunset - Fuzzyfurvert



Post Rainbow Rocks, Sunset Shimmer has started to volunteer her time at the local horse park. Things are going well until a familiar face surprisingly re-enters her life.

  • ...
18
 235
 6,350

Chapter 7

A Dazzling Sunset

Chapter 7

Sunset breathed slowly, the way she’d been taught to when harnessing large amounts of arcane power for a particularly difficult spell. In, until her ribs felt tight, then out until she felt the need to cough. She was sitting on her bed, her head resting on her knees, arms around her shins. The breathing was meditative, meant to focus her mind on the task at hoof. These days, especially when she was alone, Sunset found it actually drew her attention to the differences of her current body from her former pony form.

It was the little things really, that seemed to stick out to her. In broad terms, her human body and her pony body were very similar. Things were only in different locations, or different sizes. Functionality remained practically the same. But the little details was where her mind landed when she had nothing else to think of, or she was trying to avoid thinking about something specific. Like the toes.

Human feet where amazingly complex things. They were weird looking, even now after four years with them. Sunset wiggled her toes, gripping her bedsheet with them and twisted it up between her big toe and the first of the smaller ones. She could admit they were cute at times, but most of the time they just looked like mutant hands. Using them, walking, running, wearing shoes...that had come with surprising little practice. However, when she thought about them, Sunset couldn’t shake that nagging feeling of ‘otherness.’

I wonder what it was like for Adagio? Sunset glanced reflexively up at the door. Siren’s only have two limbs. Learning to walk must have been quite the challenge. But they learned, didn’t they? The scene of the Dazzling on stage at the battle flashed through her mind. At the time, before stepping up and shielding her friends, she’s been watching the three sirens. The way they moved, it seemed silly to her that they were supposedly originally giant sea monsters. Fish weren’t meant to have such a powerful sway to their hips.

Of course, the Dazzlings had summoned proxies of their natural forms, and then it wasn’t silly anymore. Those massive, iridescent scales, the shimmering frills, the sleek fins...all of it. They were amazing to behold, even when they were looming overhead, fangs bared. For a moment, to two groups faced off and then the Sirens plunged in, Adagio the biggest and fastest of them. Even when Aria and Sonata had been turned aside by the Rainbooms, Adagio remained undefeated and alone blew all their combined magic back at them.

Sunset shivered, remembering the fear. Feeling that new sense of duty and loyalty to her friends swell in her chest even as the might of Adagio threatened to steal her breath away. Sunset remembered looking up at that golden projection, the fury and glory of it a perfect mirror to the girl on stage that was floating higher than the others and glowing like a spotlight.

She remember thinking Adagio looked like a goddess, newly arisen.

Sunset bite her lip, releasing the bedsheet from her death grip. The rest of the battle and the aftermath was a blur of magic and colors, warm friendship on her cheek accepting her full into the fold. It felt like home. Then, just like that though, it was over and the Dazzlings were gone. Princess Twilight went home. She joined the band and got closer to her friends. But that little taste of home left her craving more. That craving lead her to volunteering at the horsepark.

In a roundabout way, that lead Adagio back into my life. Sunset glanced up again. The door was still shut. Some friend I’ve turned out to be, huh? I know what you’re going through, Adagio. Just come back and let me help. Stop being stubborn...stop being strong. Quit fighting it and be a weakling...like me.

Thunder crashed again outside, pulled Sunset’s eyes away from the doorway. The storm couldn’t’ve been more than a few miles off. She struggled to remember what the weather report had said in the car, but all she could think of was the siren’s face while they’d bickered over the radio. It wasn’t supposed to be a bad storm, she thought. Just rain and some lightning. It probably wouldn’t even have woken her. But now Adagio was out there, somewhere, ‘getting air.’

She sighed, standing up, and tightened the drawstring on her pjs. She grumbled unintelligibly under her breath, slipping her feet into her under used running shoes. Her boots would take too long to lace and buckle, plus she’d need socks. Hopefully, Adagio hadn’t gone far. She could hear the wind starting to pick up slightly when she gripped the knob on her front door.

“No point in letting her stay out there. We’ve both already had showers tonight.”


***


Adagio tossed the pieces gravel in her hand, catching them again a moment later while she stood next to the wooden post fence that lined the property near Sunset’s converted garage home. She eyed the dark shapes in the field on the other side. She couldn’t tell in the darkness if they were cattle or horses, but she hoped they were the later. It’d be funnier if she managed to hit one with a thrown rock if they were horses.

Damn equines. Can’t escape them no matter how hard I try. She took one of the small stones in her other hand and cocked back her arm, squinting to judge the distance as best she could. Stupid horses. Stupid pony.

Adagio let the stone fly, losing sight of it almost immediately. None of the shapes moved or made a sound and she tsk’ed at the apparent miss. So she turned a little, adjusting her stance for the wind, and transferred another bit of driveway gravel to her throwing arm. I hope it’s the same stupid shade of hay she is...and that’s it’s got long silky red and yellow hair…

Her arm cocked back and she sent another rock skyward with enough force to whistle against the wind. One of the shapes moved a second later, but as far as she could tell it only did so to lean against the breeze, or maybe because it heard the rock hit the ground. Maybe I’m getting closer?

Another stone passed her hands when the wind increased, making her hair whip about and her borrowed bathrobe billow out around her. It felt nice. Smelled of rain, grass, and summer. It smelled like the wind had at this time of year for century piling atop century. Adagio knew she was hundreds of miles from the nearest coast, but in the sea of her memories, she could smell the salt and foam this wind would stir up. That scent took her back, all the way to Equestria and her youth.

Control had always been her personal siren song. It called to her, all the way down in the depths, down where the sunlight barely reached and the water turned to permanent midnight. At first it was her own echoes, bouncing off the shelf that sung to her, told her that she was special. That the future was bright for Adagio Dazzle. She left that darkness, the safety of the deep, gathered a coven and stormed the coral and kelp forests near the surface. After she’d had her fun there, the next logical step had of course been the shore.

That’s where she’d first seen the little four legged bottom feeders. Ponies. Those mares with their stupid manes of hair and those long flowy tails that looked so soft. Their too cute little hooves and big bright eyes, like colored pools a siren could lose herself in. Especially the blue ones.

Adagio snarled, snapping her entire body forward to hurl the chunk of gravel in her hand. “Stupid pony!” This time her aim was true as the dark blot of some farm animal jolted and cantered off in shock. She grinned fiercely, her eyes glinting as the skys lit with a flash of distant lightning curling between massive storm clouds. Thunder echoed off the pastureland a few seconds later.

“I’ll show them all.” Adagio bent low to grab more of the pebble sized stones from the drive, but when she came back up her grin was gone. She looked at the dirty rocks in her hand, wondering just what she was doing.

“I’m angry...right?” That felt right, but something was off. It didn’t feel like the anger that drove her to strike out at those coastal villages. It didn’t feel like the anger that drove her to push Aria and Sonata until their powers grew enough to crystalize into their gems. It didn’t feel like any of the times she had been handed some minor setback or defeat to the greater combined power of the ponies. Each of those instances, her anger had a clear target, a reason. Now she was just lashing out at literal shadows in the dark and—most likely—innocent animals.

Adagio tilted her hand, watching the gravel pour back to the ground. “Is this...right? Am I angry at myself? I should be...should be angry at Sunset. At those Rainboom girls.” The siren sighed. She knew she was angry at Aria, but at the moment, she kind of wanted to beat her own ass for being such a mess. For not being the Adagio she’d always been.

She gripped the fence, squeezing the rough wood until her knuckles popped. This is all Sunset’s fault...somehow. She could just imagine the smug look on Sunset’s face that seeing her like this would cause. Or she tried to, at least. Her imagination wasn’t being very cooperative and kept giving Sunset that uncertain, concerned look the girl had worn for much of the evening after her shower. Those big blue eyes looking up at her from under that mess of red hair. Those soft looking lips…

Adagio shook her head, her grip making the wood creak in protest. Thunder rolled again, bigger and louder, the sound washing over her in time with another increase in the wind. The horses, or maybe cows, moved in the distance. The big animals heading toward cover as the storm closed in, away from her range with the rocks. Leaving her behind to face it alone. She could go back inside, escape the rain and the lightning. But a part of herself still thought she deserved it. She didn’t deserve a warm place to sleep, a soft pillow, or the company of a girl who forgave her everything and had the kind of eyes she wouldn’t mind getting lost in.

The siren sagged, her arms taking most of her weight. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, letting a lungful of that summer rain scent chase away the feeling stirring low in her body. Letting it take her back to that perpetual midnight below the waves where she couldn’t see the sunset. Where she could only hear her own song and not that sweet voice. Where she still had control over herself and the loneliness in her heart matched the abyss around her.

I’ve carried that with me this whole time...loneliness. Sonata, her ditz cousin and oldest companion had eased it for a time. Even Aria had played a part, early on, in easing that gnawing, hungry emptiness. Without either of them there to keep it at bay, the old ache was back and starker than ever. I’m just acting like this because of that...I’m just unbalanced. I don’t really need them. I don’t need anyone.

That thought rung hollow, even to herself. Adagio rocked against the fence, resting her weight on it entirely. The wind continued to whip around her, the trees and grasses whispering and rushing in ways that just strengthened those ancient memories of life beneath the waves. The contrast to her present was almost physically painful. The image of Sunset, the girl smiling at her in those short moments when they shared their failed plans of world domination, came back to her and softened the blow. It gave her comfort and that only served to make Adagio angrier at herself.

“I am not soft...not weak…” Adagio swallowed, her head hanging, “...I am strong. No one makes me feel like this.” Tears stung her closed eyes. “I don’t need help! Not from some pony!”

Adagio choked back a sob under another peal of thunder. She could feel the storm’s voice in her chest, feel the moisture in the air, and a small voice snickered in the back of her mind, telling her that she deserved all she got for her arrogance. For her anger. For her unwillingness to accept what Sunset was offering her. Friendship. Companionship. Someone to talk to that knew something of what it was like that wasn’t a fellow siren. The first mare that might be able to look past the scales and the teeth and see the girl underneath.

Now it was all reversed. The girl was on the outside. Just like Sunset. They were both human here. Sunset had seen her true form in all her glory and she wanted to be friends. And I just want to be a bitch. What infuriated her, however, was why she even cared. She could have stolen the book and taken off. She could have just taken it like she’d taken everything she’d ever desired before. But that girl...that look of patience on her perfect, stupid, lovely face...it stopped her. Made her think about the consequences. She didn’t want to disappoint the red head.

She didn’t want to lose a friend newly made.

Adagio shivered as a particularly strong gust grabbed her hair and the bathrobe that was only barely still on her, and threw both of them around violently. That feeling, that friendship, felt alien to her. But it also felt right. It felt like something special. Something that was important, even if she couldn’t figure out the why of it.

“Adagio?”

The siren’s eyes snapped open wide, pupils shrinking at the soft voice almost lost in the roar of the wind through the trees. She straightened up, wiping her her eyes inconspicuously as she did so. Adagio sniffed, but refused to look behind herself. Refused to see whatever expression that was on Sunset’s face.

“Adagio, it’s about to rain. Please come back inside, there’s no reason to get wet and catch a cold out here.”

“What if I want to stay out, huh?” Adagio raised her voice over the wind, pulling the bathrobe tighter around herself. “Who says I even catch colds? I’m a terrible sea monster, remember?”

“You’re only human right now” Sunset sounded closer, but Adagio still refused to look back. “Like me.”

“Why should I come in? How’s that any better than what I was doing when I was camping? I’m still homeless and out of magic!” Adagio snarled, her melancholy feeling vanishing before a flash of that old familiar anger. “How is this any better, Sunset?!”

“So I won’t be worried about you!”

Adagio flinched, reaching up to hold back her billowing curls as she looked back over her shoulder. Sunset was a just a yard or two way, her own long hair whipping in the breeze, still in those ridiculously cute duck print pjs. She looked upset, more than a little angry, though if it was at her behavior or the effort of coming out in the middle of the night, Adagio couldn’t tell.

Sunset stomped her way over to the fence, her shoulders tight and posture defensive. She stopped next to Adagio and wrapped her arms around herself, staring into the oncoming weather in silence. Adagio watched her in wide eyed disbelief until she turned her head to look the siren in the eyes. Sunset bared her teeth and growled loud enough to make the other girl lean away from her.

“I came out to run you down and I find you’ve only gone as far as the fence before you started bawling?” Sunset snorted. “I was ready to go chasing you all the way back to town. I’m disappointed, Adagio.”

“What?” Adagio leaned further away from Sunset. The pony’s sudden change in mood confused her even more than her own emotional turmoil. She blinked rapidly as she felt tears starting to well up again. “You were worried about me?”

Sunset frowned, looking down and away from those searching eyes. “Yeah.”

When she’d stepped out of the garage a moment ago, she’d been fully prepared to run after Adagio, to bring the girl back no matter how much she’d had to fight. She’d readied herself to argue, to plead, whatever it took to bring Adagio back. She wasn’t going to let this sort of thing stand in the way of making a friend. Proving herself and helping a fellow former equestrian villain in the process.

All that mental preparation blew up in her face a second later when she caught sight of Adagio all of a couple dozen yards away, bending over and shaking in the breeze. Sunset froze there, on the threshold of the garage, the wind picking up as she she watched Adagio cry. She lingered there, unsure what she should do. Should she approach and offer a shoulder, or should she let the girl get it out? Sympathy, or catharsis? Eventually, she’d started walking forward, the urge to help, to give Adagio some form of comfort became overwhelming.

“I heard you say you didn’t need help from me.” Sunset let her arms drop for a moment before leaning forward and gripping the fence in her hands. “But damnit, Adagio, you do! I went through all this same crap! I was a trainwreck and if I hadn’t had help, I might still be at the bottom of a crater crying.”

“I don’t need—”

“I’m not going to offer you empty platitudes.” Sunset jabbed her finger at Adagio, cutting her off. “I’m here to offer you real help. If you can’t let go of your old ways enough to accept friendship with a side charity, then I can step up and offer friendship with a side of good old fashioned revenge.”

Sunset grabbed Adagio’s loose robe at the chest and pulled the stunned girl close until they just inches apart. “Let’s go kick Aria’s ass. Together.”

Adagio blinked, lightning flashing in the sky above them and making Sunset’s blue eyes glow and she was lost. Sunset looked fierce, that pony softness gone and replaced with a will of steel that any siren would be proud of. Sunset really wasn’t a goodie-four-hooves like all the other ponies she’d ever met. This was a girl that she could believe had actually been a she-demon at one point, and she was practically within kissing distance.

Adagio was a little concerned at just how attractive Sunset suddenly was and how confining and hot her bathrobe was.

Sunset let go of Adagio’s robe, but the siren made no move to pull back, her eyes still wide with shock. She looks a little flush, but I bet coming out here like this must have thrown her off balance. Need to keep it going or she’ll recover and we’ll be out here arguing until the sun comes up.

She reached out and took Adagio’s hand in her own, turning back toward the garage. “C’mon, the rain’s going to start any minute now, Adagio. We need to plan this if Aria’s going to be put back in her place properly.”

Adagio resisted the tug for all of a second before letting herself be guided back inside as the rain did indeed start. A few fat droplets hit them as they crossed the dark yard and the last of the stars above were swallowed by storm heads. She ignored the cool rain where it touched her skin, her mind focused on the feeling of Sunset’s hand holding hers. It was warm, soft, but the grip was strong. It made her heart beat faster and a little voice in the back of her mind scream. You don’t deserve this. This is not you. You don’t want her help. You are Adagio Dazzle and the world bows to you. Don’t be weak. Lead, don’t follow.

It repeated again and again with every step they took until Sunset hauled them both into the garage and finally let go. She stumbled a few steps more as Sunset flipped a switch to lower the door and trigger the lights to come on. The brightness made her eyes sting and Adagio slumped against Sunset’s car, scrunching her eyes closed and gritting her teeth.

Sunset looked back out into the night while the door clanked and buzzed shut. The rain came in earnest a moment before it fully shut, beating against the door and the roof with the strength of a summer downpour. The door made a loud, hollow bang when it finished closing, and Sunset sighed tiredly. She started to turn when she was hit from behind by a heavy weight and thrown into the garage door, pinning her in place.

Adagio growled into Sunset’s ear, grabbing the hand that had held hers moments ago and wrenching it back behind Sunset’s back. She pushed the shorter girl harder against the door until it groaned and Sunset gasped painfully. “No one gets to touch me like that! I’m tired of letting anyone get the drop on me...first Aria, now you! No more!”

She pulled Sunset’s arm back more and leaned her entire weight onto the former pony. “Aria is my problem, not yours!”

“You’re...ugh...gonna need help!” Sunset grunted out the words, pushing back against Adagio. “Just let me...grrr...help you. She hurt you, Adagio. Took...ugh...everything away from you that you’ve had since the beginning. I know you have to prove your...dominance. I get it, ok! I had to do it too! Now get off me!”

Sunset elbowed back with her free arm and pushed with her legs off the door at the same time, knocking Adagio’s grip loose and sending the both of them down to the hard concrete floor. She took the fall on her shoulder, the air coughing forcibly out of her lungs, while Adagio landed squarely on her backside. Sunset scrambled to get onto her hands and knees, but the siren met her halfway in an awkward tackle that sent them both rolling a short distance into a stack of cardboard packing boxes.

Adagio snarled, struggling to reclaim the upper hand and superior grip as they reversed directions and rolled end over end until her back collided with the tire of Sunset’s car. She didn’t bother trying to talk, she was past calm discourse at this point, her anger boiling over and aimed directly at the redhead. Despite herself, Adagio felt her mind and heart clear. Her emotional rollercoaster of the last few weeks since the defeat at Canterlot High’s battle of the bands finally pulling into station as she grabbed that silly duck print and heard the satisfying rip of cloth. Sunset gasped at that and Adagio took the momentary lapse to send them careening back in the other direction.

Sunset retaliated by grabbing a handful of the siren’s curls and pulling savagely enough to make Adagio skreech. As much as she’d like to claim that she was anyone’s match physically, Sunset couldn’t deny the force and strength Adagio was bringing to bear on her. She gave as good as she got though, throwing a few elbows and kicks where she could while they both tried to beat the other into the ground. Another high pitched rip of cloth punctuated the tossle and Sunset felt her shirt suddenly go loose.

“Hey! This is my best pajama shirt!”

“Grrr, screw...you...Sunset!”

Sunset let go of Adagio’s hair, grabbing her robe with both hands and pulled the girl on top of her. Then she planted her sneakers into Adagio’s hips, flipping the blond up and over with a kick that did her equine heritage proud. The awkward throw bounced Adagio off Sunset’s utility vehicle before she hit the concrete again with a thud. Sunset lay there, her arms extended and panting at the exertion. “And...ugh...stay down. Please.”

Adagio groaned in response, rolling slowly until she could see Sunset. She was sore, winded, and she knew she’d have a few new bruises come the dawn. “Ok...so...draw?”

“Draw.” The former pony coughed, flinching at her own scrapes and the grit of the garage floor against her skin. She blinked slowly and looked down at herself. She was on her side, her entire torso and hip against the floor, her capris half way down her legs and her savaged pj shirt opened and shoved up to her armpits. Mother…! I can’t believe she tore my shirt! Angry enough to fight is one thing, but did she have to destroy my clothes too?

It clicked a second later how exposed she was and Sunset blushed, looking back at Adagio. She curled into a fetal position, covering herself and wishing for the millionth time that she still had a tail to clamp down over her nude backside. Adagio wasn’t doing much better, her robe having come completely undone in the fight and just barely staying on her arms. The siren was just as exposed, creamy skin and curves on display as Adagio struggled to get into a more comfortable position.

Adagio rolled onto her side with a pained grunt, going slack after exerting herself. She sighed wistfully once Sunset was curled up and frowned, but otherwise made no move to cover herself. “Aw.” She frowned thoughtfully. “I bet you do get plenty of attention from those human brats with a body like that. Especially from the boys, huh?”

Adagio moved slowly, propping her head up on one hand and vaguely tugging her golden red robe over her legs. “Poor girl.”

The effort did nothing to block Sunset’s view, her flush intensifying until she felt like she was on fire. Try as she might, she couldn’t take her eyes off Adagio. “So, you attack me...and now this? Can’t you take a break from teasing me?” She frowned, hugging her legs tighter as she tried to work her pants back up. “Just because you know I like girls, you don’t have to keep dangling a carrot in front of me to see if I’ll bite so you can mock me some more. It’s hard enough dealing with everyone else that doesn’t know!”

Sunset lifted herself minutely to slide her capris over her butt and then pushed up into a seated position. The remains of her shirt shifted as she did, hanging open from a massive tear that left only a thin strip of cloth holding it together at the bottom hemline. She groaned and shot Adagio a withering glare. “I really liked this shirt, you ass. It was comfortable!”

The siren watched Sunset, making no move to preserve her own modesty, her face a careful neutral. She’s a lot stronger than I gave her credit for. Stronger than me...maybe Aria too. Sunset might actually be able to help take the bitch down a peg or three. Adagio bit her lip, her mind wandering from thoughts of revenge back to the sight before her as Sunset tore the last shred of cloth holding her shirt vaguely together. The pony started tieing the two halves together into a makeshift top.

Adagio watched the little ducks twist, then fill out in a near failed attempt to contain Sunset’s full figured top. Should I apologize? I mean, it looks better this way, really. She looks good… Adagio pushed herself up into a seated position, the pit of her stomach twisting like Sunset’s shirt with her rising libido. She looked away from the other girl and down at her own body. A narrow waist with wide hips atop long legs had gotten her no shortage of attention over the years from the humans of this world. Mostly from the males, of course, rather than who she’d rather get it from.

Just like Sunset, I’d bet. Never the kind of attention we want, always dodging uncomfortable questions and the occasional thrown stone. Memories of year after year of biting back her urges, struggling to keep from going crazy with need while the world around her forced its idea of love down her throat.

Adagio touched her hand to her core, flexing her fingers to press into the flesh there. “I’m sorry.”

“What?” Sunset looked up from adjusting the knot she was re-tieing for the third time out of the ruins of her shirt. The cloth refused to cooperate and even cinched tight, it felt like she’d spill out of it if she moved or breathed too deeply.

“I’m sorry I tore your shirt. That was...wrong of me.”

“Wait...is Adagio Dazzle apologizing? Or am I hearing things?”

“Knock it off.” Adagio snapped, frowning at Sunset. “I’m sorry I ruined something you owned that you liked, ok? I’m a big girl, I can admit that. Not that you need to really complain. You look pretty hot in a tied top like that.”

Sunset opened her mouth to auto-retort when Adagio’s compliment registered and she froze mid expletive deletive. I look hot? What. She looked back down at herself, reappraising the situation. Sunset had to admit, with her shirt tied up, she did have pretty awesome levels of cleavage at the moment.

She glanced back at the other girl, her frustration taking on a distinctly different tone in light of the compliment and Adagio’s apparent comfort in her own skin. She focused on Adagio’s eyes, trying to read her for more teasing and hidden insults. “Do you mean that? All of it...sorry and me looking...good?”

Adagio nodded tiredly and pulled her now dirty bathrobe up onto her shoulders. “Did you mean what you said about helping me deal with Aria?”

“Yeah. I was serious about that, Adagio. I want to help you find closure with Aria. That means kicking her butt eventually, right?” Sunset grinned nervously, shrugging carefully. “I already have some ideas, actually. Plus, if we work together...we’re a lot less likely to screw up as bad as our mutual high school domination plans.”

Adagio blinked at Sunset for a moment before smirking and snorting at that. She climbed to her feet and walked the few steps over to Sunset, holding out her hand to the girl. Sunset’s flush returned full force, obviously fighting her desire to watch the Siren move and her growing embarrassment at the same time. Adagio put her fist on her hip and snapped her fingers when the girl didn’t budge from her spot. “C’mon. Sitting on the dirty floor in your garage is fun and all, but I’d rather scheme somewhere more comfortable.”

Sunset eyed the hand for a moment, licking her lips tentatively. She smiled softly and took the offered hand in her own and climbed up to join the siren standing. She squeezed the hand in hers. “So, truce then?”

Adagio raised an eyebrow and then reached up to tug loose the knot holding Sunset’s shirt closed. She chuckled at the squeak the former pony made while scrambling to hide her breasts again. “Yeah, truce.”

Her chuckle turned into full laughter as Adagio spun on her heel toward the door to the apartment proper. She slipped off the bathrobe as she walked—hips swaying exaggeratedly—and tossed it without so much as a glance into the clothing hamper next to the beat up washing machine as she passed it by. “Gods, I needed that little tussle. I feel so much better now...bumps and scrapes and all.”

She paused in the open doorway and looked back over her shoulder and through the fringe of her mass of curly hair. A small smile played across Adagio’s face. “You coming?”

The pony stood there mutely, staring after Adagio, the last few minutes playing through her mind. The siren still confused her, bouncing from one emotion to another at seeming random, reacting to each new situation differently. And now she’d back in teasing mode? But...at least she’s cooperating. That’s good, right? Adagio is warming up to me. Sunset swallowed, the lines and curves of the siren’s body vivid in her mind. It made her palms feel clammy and itch, she wanted to touch that smooth skin so much.

She looked down at herself, Sunset’s voice low. “Yeah...really warmed up.” Adagio had complimented her. Apologized. Complimented her again on how the top looked and then ruined the effect by untying it. It was almost like…

Wait.

Sunset clenched her fists, her stomach and lower down doing the same. I’m imagining this. She’s just doing what she’s always done...being alluring and mysterious...it’s all an act. It has to be. She shook her head hard and took a deep, cleansing breath, and forced herself to listen to her own instincts and gut. Is she actually flirting with me?

She narrowed her brow and looked up at door. She wasn’t sure, but Sunset was sure she needed to find out. She took a few steps and stopped just short of the door back to her apartment and answers. Now that she was really thinking about it, she decided she really didn’t have to keep the shirt did she? Sunset sighed and rolled her shoulders, working it off her arms. She gave the little yellow duckies a final sad frown and tossed the scrap into her waste basket before following Adagio inside.