• Published 17th Mar 2015
  • 4,276 Views, 113 Comments

Kamen Rider EqG - BioniclesaurKing4t2



When you look in the mirror, what other than your reflection might be looking back? The HuMane 6 attempt to assist an armored vigilante in stopping attacks by invisible Mirror Monsters. (Kamen Rider Dragon Knight crossover)

  • ...
5
 113
 4,276

Chapter 1: The Hero of Canterlot High

The Hero of Canterlot High ʜǫiH ƚolɿɘƚnɒƆ ʇo oɿɘH ɘʜT

It was late at night, and on a stage, a figure was sweeping. The figure swept the stage with a broom, pushing every stray piece of clutter, bit by bit, off to the side. A figure dressed in a janitor’s outfit. The only person to dare venture that close. Earlier in the evening, the strangest thing had happened on that stage.

No one was quite sure what exactly had happened, or at least those who did weren’t talking. Whatever it was, it had to do with the local high school’s battle of the bands, three new girls, and potentially attempted mass mind control with a side of giant flying spectral monsters being fought off with musical instruments.

Now, however, aside from the sound of the broom, only the figure’s whistling carried through the darkness across the otherwise silent outdoor amphitheater.

Whoo-woo, wo w-w-w-w-woo

As the figure pushed the last of the debris collected from the stage into a single pile of dust, he squatted down to take a closer look. Continuing to whistle, he reached into the pile and sifted out a handful of red crystal shards.

Looking over them in his open hand, the shards softly began to give off a faint red glow. The figure whistled on, and a trail of red smoke began rising from the crystal shards as they continued to glow brighter. The figure closed his hand and clenched the shards tightly. A few seconds later, his hand became surrounded by a faint yellow glowing aura.

The figure stopped whistling, gave a sinister smile, and began to softly chuckle.

* * *

Three Weeks Later

Rainbow Dash ran down the sidewalk. Naturally, she was in a hurry to get somewhere. She just hoped she wouldn’t be late.

Her destination was in sight, just across the next crosswalk. She spared a glance to check the crossing light. Flashing red hand. She could make it.

She dashed out onto the crosswalk. Halfway through, she realized the red hand had stopped flashing. She didn’t see it coming, but she heard it. She didn’t think. She jumped.

Tires screeched as a red-and-white striped hood flew in from the right, brakes squealing. Everything went into slow motion. She shot her right arm forward and planted her hand on the center of the hood. Pivoting on her hand, her legs swung over and around to the left, flying over and past the front of the car. Her palm left the hood and she was airborne. Her left foot hit the ground first. She threw her right leg out in front as her left knee bent to absorb the impact. As her momentum carried her forward, she pushed off with her left foot, sprinting forward the last few steps as the car’s horn honked behind her. She burst through the doors of Sugar Cube Corner.

“Did you hear?” Rainbow Dash said excitedly. “It happened again!”

Most of the people inside stopped what they were doing and looked up at her. Ignoring them, she looked up at the shop’s ceiling-mounted TV in the corner before scanning the place for the table her friends were clustered at. It was the one sitting by the green couch, as usual. Quickly walking over to them, she pulled out her phone and checked the time. “They’d better have it as top story on the six o’clock news.”

“Rainbow Dash eager to watch the local news?” said an amused Applejack as Rainbow Dash sat down. “Now there’s a first.”

“Only because it’s the most awesome thing that’s ever been on the news!” Rainbow Dash said back.

“Speaking of awesome,” piped up Pinkie Pie, “what was that move you just did out there? I thought for sure that was gonna be the news tonight.”

Rainbow Dash paused a moment before shrugging. “Reflexes?”

“Regardless,” Rarity said, “you really should be more careful, dear. After all, there’s only one of you.”

“Well,” said Sunset Shimmer, “that would kinda depend on how you counted.”

“However many version of her there are,” said Fluttershy, “only this one is this her.”

Rainbow Dash looked up at the TV and saw the ORE Channel 13 News icon floating across the screen, signifying the start of the news broadcast. The image shifted to that of a woman sitting at the news desk with an image of the city’s skyline behind her. She began talking, but no sound was heard. Rainbow Dash waved to get the attention of Mrs. Cake standing behind the counter, then pointed at the TV. “Turn it up!”

Mrs. Cake rolled her eyes as she reached for the remote. The newswoman’s voice began to become audible as the volume rose.

“In a few minutes, we’ll catch up with Misty Breeze for your local weather,” she said, “but before that, a new development on breaking news from late last night that came to our attention earlier today.”

“This has to be it,” Rainbow Dash said eagerly.

An image appeared on the screen to the newswoman’s left. It was a rough artist’s pencil rendering of what appeared to be some sort of mask or helmet, almost resembling that of a medieval knight, but with multiple horizontal black slits covering the eyes instead of the usual one.

“At first with only sketches from eyewitness accounts,” the newswoman continued, as the image was replaced with another sketch, this time of a full figure positioned in a fighting stance, and who appeared to be clad in a suit of armor, “of a mysterious person who reportedly appeared at the scenes of three seemingly random late-night attacks in the past two weeks,” the image was again replaced, this time by a color sketch shaded a dark blue, with the figure holding a sword with a yellow U-shaped crossguard, “it has just been released by authorities that we now have bystander footage of the now-famed Armored Hero in action.”

“Yes!”

Most of the patrons of Sugar Cube Corner again looked over at Rainbow Dash’s outburst. She smiled innocently at them before turning back to her friends and continuing with a subtler tone. “He’s on video! I told you he was real!”

“Yes, darling, we remember,” Rarity said, not looking up. She lifted her teacup before pausing. “Every. Single. Time.”

“Well,” Rainbow Dash said, “I was right, wasn’t I?”

“Police came into possession of this video last night,” continued the newswoman, “although they withheld it from the media until they had authenticated it, meaning that they have concluded that there have been no attempted alterations to insert or remove anything digitally after the footage was shot. That fact, however, only makes the following images more confusing and, potentially, controversial.”

“Huh?” Rainbow Dash said. She looked intently at the screen as the bystander footage was played.

It was clearly a cell phone video, as it was rather blurred and unsteady, not to mention constantly brightening and darkening as the reflections of streetlights in the storefront window in the back went in and out of view, making the camera auto-adjust the brightness. Despite this, what was shown was unmistakable. Across the street from the videographer, a figure in dark-colored armor was fighting against what appeared to be…nothing. He was ducking and weaving and throwing kicks and punches, but there seemed to be nothing on the receiving end of his onslaught. In the midst of this, the figure held up an arm and staggered back, then leaned back and made a particularly powerful swing with his left fist. Then a trashcan a few feet away clattered over. The figure ran forward and swung with something he was holding in his right hand, sending a spray of sparks flying from thin air. After that, the video looped back around to the beginning, and the frame was shrunk and moved to one side of the screen, revealing the newswoman again.

“It isn’t clear what this video proves,” the newswoman said, “but one possibility is that it may show the entire deal of the Armored Hero to be nothing more than a hoax, perhaps attempting to capitalize on the other reports of unusual activity surrounding the nearby Canterlot High School.”

“A hoax?” Rainbow Dash spoke up. “Are you kidding me!?”

“Easy there, Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said, “they said they don’t know exactly what’s goin’ on. Maybe whatever he’s fightin’ is just invisible er somethin’. Wouldn’t be too odd, considerin’.”

“When presented with this new information and footage,” the newswoman continued, “the victims and witnesses of previous encounters all confirm that this was the figure they saw, but the victims continue to maintain that there was definitely something else that attacked them before his arrival. Authorities say that they are looking into potential connections between the victims to determine if they may have coordinated the story ahead of time.”

“Oh, come on!” Rainbow Dash shouted again. “Just listen to yourself! Those sparks have to be coming from somewhere! And how about that trashcan?”

“If you keep this up,” Sunset Shimmer said, looking around nervously while running a hand through her hair, “you might get yourself thrown out of here, and us along with you.”

Rainbow Dash paused. “Heh, sorry,” she said sheepishly.

“I wouldn’t read too much into it,” said a voice.

Rainbow Dash and the others turned toward the sound to see Flash Sentry leaning against the cashier counter. Not once looking over at them, he grabbed a paper bag off of the counter and strolled towards the door.

“That’s just what the news does sometimes,” he said as he passed the group. Some of them exchanged glances. When the bell over the door chimed as he made his exit, the girls turned their attentions back to the TV.

“In other news, there are still no more clues in the disappearance from two weeks ago…” The newswoman’s voice faded away as Mrs. Cake turned the TV’s volume down again.

The group turned back to each other. There was a pause. Applejack decided to break the tension.

“Well,” she said, clapping her hands together, “looks like the news has made up its mind on what’s going on here. Anyone about to agree with their conclusion?” She looked around the group. There was no response. Rainbow Dash crossed her arms and shook her head. “Good. They probably know that somethin’s up but no one’s willin’ to be the first to say it.”

“You bet something’s up,” Rainbow Dash said. “Four incidents in only two weeks? All of these crazy unexplained details? I can’t believe they’re ignoring the fact that we have some sort of superhero in town.”

And a new supervillain,” chimed Pinkie. “Can’t forget about that part.”

“I admit, it’s suspicious,” Sunset said, “but that doesn’t automatically mean it’s something supernatural. It could just be something…not…” The others all turned to look at her. Sunset dropped the role of the obligatory opposing viewpoint for the sake of argument. “Okay, yeah, it’s supernatural, no doubt about it. But what are we supposed to do about it? Play music at…,” she gestured back at the TV, “whatever the things that don’t show up on video are? How would we find them? We don’t even know what we’re up against.”

“Duh,” Rainbow Dash responded, “then we find out.”

Sunset crossed her arms. “How?”

“I don’t know yet,” admitted Rainbow Dash, “but I think I have somewhere we can start.”


“Granted, I’ve been suspicious of these reports from the start, myself,” said Sunset Shimmer as she looked on with surprise, “…but I wasn’t about to make a conspiracy wall about it.”

She was standing with the rest of her friends in Rainbow Dash’s room, staring at a corkboard sitting on the floor and propped up against one of the walls. On it, attached by pushpins, staples, and partly uncurled paperclips, were an assortment of newspaper clippings, half of them torn instead of cut out of the newspaper, and a few with edges taped misaligned back on after apparent tearings-gone-wrong, as well as hand-written notes on the backs of papers of every size and shape (Sunset thought she saw what looked like half of a worksheet that had been due last week), with many of the items connected to others on the opposite side of the board by either pieces of string or, more commonly, lines drawn in black marker across the board and paper scraps alike, several of which with their now-dissociated segments scratched out by pencil when the board had apparently been rearranged.

“Come to think of it,” Sunset picked back up after a few moments of staring, "maybe I should have made one. It would’ve been set up much more coherently than this.”

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Eh, I made do with what I had.”

“I can see that…,” Sunset squeaked, still recovering from the sight before her. Her tone almost made it seem like making conspiracy walls was an art form, and that Rainbow Dash had single-handedly butchered its legacy.

Rainbow Dash walked up in front of the board and turned back to the group. “As you can probably tell,” she started, “I’ve been following this story from the beginning. I admit, it’s kinda grown on me just a tad more than a bit. But during that time, I’ve…,” she glanced up at the ceiling as if trying to see the thoughts floating around her head, “…I’ve…” There was a pause. Rainbow Dash dropped her arms and slumped her shoulders. “I’ve found out that I’m no good at spontaneous dramatic speeches, apparently.”

“Well there’s a surprise,” said Applejack. Shoulders still slumped, Rainbow Dash pointed at her and squinted in an ‘I’ll get you next time’ look.

Rainbow Dash stood up straight again and raised her hands in front of her, palms facing inward, as one would if they were attempting to explain something. “Okay, look. Point is, the news is wrong. The Armored Hero is real, I can prove it, it’s all there. Somewhere, in…,” she waved her hand around at the conspiracy board in general, “…there…but it’s there.”

“You seem rather certain about this,” said Rarity. “Not that I’m doubting, it’s just that you seem to be getting a bit ahead of the evidence, here.”

Rainbow Dash turned to her. “You saw that video. Sure, maybe we can’t tell what, but something’s definitely going on here. Besides, we’ve faced and beaten dark magic, twice. This is right up our alley. If the Armored Hero’s facing something bigger than just random stray incidents, he might need some backup.”

“So that’s what you’ve been tryin’ to get at, is it?” Applejack said. Crossing her arms and leaning back against the wall, she continued, “Lemme guess. Savin’ the world just twice ain’t enough? Count me in.”

“You’re gonna need some help,” Sunset Shimmer added. “With that, specifically.” She nodded at Rainbow’s attempted conspiracy wall. “I’m in.”

“Me too!” said Pinkie, raising her hand into the air.

“And me, I suppose,” added Rarity, stepping forward.

There was a group pause in anticipation of the answer from the final member. None came. Everyone looked over at Fluttershy.

“Oh,” she said nervously. “A-and me.”

“Woo-hoo!” Pinkie exclaimed. “Now let’s get to work on solving this mystery.” She began rubbing her hands together while looking slyly off to the side. “We’ll be an unstoppable team of half-boiled detectives.”

Rainbow Dash facepalmed.

Sunset raised a hand and started, “Uh, I think you meant…,” but she saw Applejack giving her the signal of several quick hand swipes across the neck. Sunset dropped her hand. “Never mind.”

* * *

Back in the city, a lone figure rode a motorcycle through the empty nighttime streets. He passed by rows of empty shops and other buildings, passing in and out of the columns of light from the lines of streetlights. The figure was clad in a black leather jacket, wore a black helmet, and rode a black motorbike. Suddenly he skidded to a halt before an empty intersection.

The figure looked up and around, listening, trying to pinpoint the direction of a sound that he and he alone heard. He revved the motorcycle’s engine and turned the handlebars to the left, making a U-turn before kicking off and riding back up the street. Halfway up the block, a spherical shell of dark indigo energy shot out from and surrounded the figure, and a pair of glowing rings began rotating around him, followed by gold-bordered blue-violet armor plating flipping seemingly out of nowhere and covering over the motorcycle.

One of a pawnshop’s co-owners, dressed in a stripped blue and white outfit and closing up the store for the night, was locking up the safe under the counter when he heard the motorcycle ride by. He thought nothing of it until he heard a loud crackling and humming accompanied by a flash of blue light, and followed a second later by a whooshing noise as the light flash faded. The bell over the door rang as he ran outside, stopping and looking around. He saw a few stray newspaper pages being blown along the dark and empty street by an errant gust of wind, but nothing else noteworthy.

Confused but not particularly curious, he shrugged and turned back to lock the shop door.