• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 38,639 Views, 1,790 Comments

You Do (Not) Belong - 2dextreem



A serious take on the HiE self-insert genre. This is the story of a by all accounts normal human being, caught up in events beyond his control. Forced to deal with the possibility of being stuck in a world that's strange in more ways than one.

  • ...
180
 1,790
 38,639

The First Day: Welcome to Equestria

You Do (Not) Belong

The First Day: Welcome to Equestria


Connor was not aware of how much time had passed, alone in the silence, propped up as he was against the ceramic base of the toilet. But when he finally opened his eyes again -- slowly, carefully -- he could see now that a drowsy, amber-colored light was peering into the bathroom through the open door, and he quickly realized it must be nearing sundown. He breathed deeply, blinking away the feeling of fatigue, and brought his right hand up, gently massaging the corners of his eyes.

Removing his hand and looking at it, he happened to note that the entire surface of it was flushed red; a consequence of using it to prop up his body for who knows how long. Even now, Connor could feel the blood rushing back into it, accompanied by that familiar, disturbing, pins-and-needles sensation. He squeezed his hand into a fist several times, trying to improve the circulation, then attempted to shake away the irritation.

Waiting for the feeling in his hand to return to normal while simultaneously trying to avoid thinking about his troubling situation, he took the opportunity to glance around and make observations of the area. Something he hadn’t had a chance to do earlier because he was busy either fighting off a blind panic, or fighting the urge to lose his lunch.

It was a fairly standard setup, yet that didn’t prevent there being a high quality to everything on display -- it was, after all, a bathroom fit for guests of royalty. The floor was made of perfectly smooth, marbled stone, with a maroon, yellow-tasseled rug laid out in the center. The walls and ceiling were completely covered in a mosaic of tiny, irregular tiles, each one a slightly different shade of turquoise blue. Set into the ceiling itself were two frosted glass domes which, curiously enough, glowed with a steady white light despite the lack of a light switch anywhere. And all of the fixtures -- including the bathtub/shower, countertops, sink, toilet, and storage cabinet -- were bright, polished, orderly, and perfectly clean, as if the room had never even been used once.

Figuring he’d seen all there was to see there, Connor had finally decided there was nothing more to be gained by just sitting and doing nothing, and he felt just well enough -- physically and emotionally -- to pull himself up into a standing position. He then felt compelled to give off a mighty yawn, raising his arms above his head and feeling his back and neck loosen up with a satisfying pop.

Adjusting his jacket and brushing the wrinkles from his clothes, he made his way over to the sink and mirror by the door, having a bit of a funny thought as he did so.

Well, I’ve been zapped to an alien world, in a castle ruled by a pony princess... and I’m in my pajamas. How appropriate, he thought, giving a weak chuckle in spite of himself.

As he stepped up to the marble countertop that housed the sink -- slightly lower to the ground than expected, which made sense, given the intended demographic -- Connor took a moment to look himself over in the large mirror. The face that stared back at him was not the most pleasant of sights.

His medium-length brown hair was a disaster, sticking up at a number of odd angles, his glasses were slightly askew, and he could both see and feel a thin layer of grime and sweat covering his skin.

“I look like a mess,” he remarked glumly to himself, as he brought his hand up to wipe his forehead, then grimaced as he rubbed his thumb and fingers together and felt their unpleasant, oily texture.

Connor removed his glasses and set them on the counter, then turned the water tap and held his hands cupped under the running stream from the faucet. He then brought his head down and quickly splashed the cool liquid up and onto his face. It felt good, equally bracing and refreshing at the same time, and he did it once more for good measure. Clearing the water away from his eyes, he looked to his right, spying a small square towel folded up alongside the sink, and he used it to dry off his dripping face, his chin, and around his neck.

Tossing the towel back down in a heap and reapplying his glasses, Connor took another look in the mirror, satisfied that he no longer looked quite as dirty or disheveled. His hair was still a mess though, and he used his hands to shake it up and smooth it down into a shape that was slightly more presentable.

After turning off the water, Connor just stood, arms propped up against the counter, giving a long, hard look at himself. After taking a deep breath and releasing, he tried his best to put on a brave face, but from his perspective it only looked forced, and he abandoned the effort before pushing himself away from the sink.

He cast a glance to the open door; the portal which contained on the other side the innumerable number of things he couldn’t understand. Things he didn’t want to understand. What he wanted was for everything to just go back to the way things were. Never once in his life did this kind of situation ever register as a possibility, and he wished it were simple enough to just go back to his normal, boring life where at least he could have a handle on things. Yet, he had to face the facts: This was reality. This was happening, and the sooner he accepted it, the easier it would become. At least, he hoped so.

Things could make sense. Things could get better... One step at a time. And the first step was going through that door and facing this new world.

Taking slow, determined steps, Connor crossed the threshold into the other room, then shifted the bathroom door behind him and leaned against it, sealing it shut with a sturdy "clunk" that sounded loud amidst the silence. He then released the breath he just realized he’d been holding.

So far, so good. Come on, pull it together... One step at a time.

The reddish-orange sunlight coming through the window drew Connor’s attention, flickering ever so slightly, and he found himself walking over to the writing desk. He pulled over the chair he’d sat in during his conversation with the pony princess, Celestia, and it gave off a slight creak as he sat himself down, arms folded and laid out on the table.

Connor then settled his head down on his arms, content to just watch the hazy glow coming off the setting sun as it peeked over the edge of the mountain in the distance and filtered between the spires and arches of the city. Canterlot, as Celestia had named it, looked even more striking in the twilight than it had before.

As that amber ball of light continued its almost imperceptible descent, Connor found himself thinking, unbidden, about his life back on Earth, wondering if perhaps his family was watching the same sunset.

No, that’s stupid. Of course they wouldn’t be. They’re probably looking for me. Freaking out, worried sick, over me. Maybe they think I ran away? he wondered, his eyes starting to grow moist. Like they’d even know where to look. This... this is...

The corners of his lips started trembling, feelings of guilt building inside him like water in a dam.

I fucked up. I never should’ve followed that light. Never should’ve touched that stupid rock. Now everyone probably thinks I’ve gone and disappeared and it’s all my fault!

The dam broke, and the tears were flowing freely now, punctuated by sharp sniffs and short sobs. Connor didn’t want to think about anything now, shutting his eyes and merely letting the despair run its course. He didn’t care how pathetic he looked; teardrops falling one by one and soaking into the sleeve of his jacket. He just wanted to stop feeling like this, and the only way to do that was to just let it all out.

After a long while, he tentatively opened his eyes, and through the bleary haze of moisture could just barely make out the last rays of sunlight dancing outwards from the distant horizon. Connor wanted to focus on it. This one thing, this one tiny aspect of nature, as if thinking solely about it would help to ease his mind. He found the waning light comforting. Slightly magical, even. Like it was alive, somehow. And as the colors and hues of the dusky sky shifted from a striking maroon, to gentle violet, to a gradually deepening blue, he felt the pain and the guilt slowly ebb away along with them. And after a time, the tears, mercifully, ceased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the time the first stars had long since started winking into existence in the fresh nighttime sky, and the city of Canterlot began its steady transition to nocturnal life, Connor was still in very much the same position. Simply watching the scene unfold gracefully outside with a faraway stare, breathing in and out steadily in a meditative rhythm.

It wasn’t until there was a sharp three knocks on the guest room door that he was jarred suddenly from his repose. In response to the sudden breach of silence, he jerked up in his seat and quickly wiped his face with a sleeve that wasn’t already crusted with dried tears.

“Uh, wh-who, who’s there?” Connor asked cautiously, now remembering the Princess’ earlier stated desire to meet with him again later. Perhaps she had returned.

“The Princesses request your audience with them in their private study. You will accompany me there,” came the reply, from an unexpectedly male-sounding voice that Connor figured must belong to the guard.

Taking a few seconds to understand what was going on, he decided to comply without hesitation. After the regrettable actions he had taken in his earlier encounter with the local royalty, it would be a grave mistake to not do what this princess (Or rather, princesses. What, were there more than one now?) requested.

“Okay. Alright, I’ll go with you. Just gimme a, err, I’ll be right there,” Connor called back, and he steeled himself as much as he could before he raised himself from his seat and walked, slightly apprehensive, to the exit and pulled open the heavy door.

On the other side was a somewhat unexpected sight. Yes, as he had figured, it was another pony creature, and it wore the same style of armor as the one from before. Yet there were obvious differences, not the least of which included the lack of wings and the presence of a horn like Celestia’s, only smaller. The color of its fur, too, was different, bearing a stony gray shade instead of a stark, white one. And its tail and helmet feathers were a mix of different ivory tones.

The pony soldier looked the human boy once over, then turned with a short huff and started walking away at a brisk pace. “Come with me,” he said. Short, brusque, and to the point.

Initially rushing to keep up with the guard, Connor nevertheless marveled at the magnificent architecture on display in the grand hallways of the castle. From outside the guest room and off in either direction, the hallway stretched on in a veritable parade of marble columns, flower arrangements, brightly colored banners, and the occasional masterwork statue of various objects or other ponies. The walls were a deep shade of purple, and edged with bold golds and oranges in a scheme that contrasted vividly, making them pop out.

Wondering where the area’s illumination was coming from, Connor got his answer when he looked up, seeing several immaculate chandeliers hanging a good twenty feet off the floor. They cast off a white, unfaltering luminescence which didn’t look electrical in nature, and was definitely unlike any fire he’d ever seen. He also had to crane his neck back to even see the ceiling, incredibly high as it was. If it were not for the presence of a garish red carpet lining the middle of the floor and its muffling effect, Connor was certain the steps made by himself and his escort would be echoing endlessly through the cavernous depths of the castle.

Apart from himself, the soldier, and a few other pony guards stationed at regular intervals, there was not another soul in sight. As he and the guard made their way past more shut doors, open stairwells, and branching halls, Connor’s pace had slowed considerably, taking in the sights while mouthing a wordless “Wow.” He was grinning in spite of himself, imagining how improbable it was that a race of beings without opposable thumbs could even attempt to build such a marvelous structure. And to think, he’d barely seen more than one hall.

Ahem,” came a sound from far in front that grabbed Connor’s attention away from the castle itself, to find that the pony leading him along was now a good thirty feet away, standing in the middle of a large foyer.

“Right, sorry! I just got distracted,” Connor said sheepishly, scratching the back of his head as he jogged forward to make up the distance.

The pony, saying nothing, simply rolled his eyes and turned, hooves clopping up the steps of a center staircase and up to the left at a brisk pace, which Connor followed closely behind as they passed by three brightly colored stained glass windows which depicted a crescent moon, a sun, and a multitude of reds, respectively.

Together they moved through a slightly narrower hallway, with a less pronounced lighting scheme, for about a minute before the pony suddenly stopped in front of a tall, wide door made of polished silver metal. His escort’s horn then started to glow with a translucent purplish-gray, followed by a similar effect on the door, which edged open with a ponderous scraping sound until it stood about halfway ajar.

“Go on inside. They are expecting you,” explained the guardspony curtly, as he shifted to the side to allow Connor access.

“Um... Thanks, I guess,” Connor responded, bowing his head slightly before hesitantly moving towards the door, grasping the edges with his hands, and peeking over the rim into the room inside.

“Ah! Good evening, Connor,” came the graceful voice of Celestia from inside. “Please, come right in.”

From his vantage point by the door, Connor could see the Princess, lying serenely on a rug splayed out in the center of the room, along with a selection of round, pastel-colored pillows. Before he could even begin to study the rest of the room, however, his attention was drawn to another figure, sitting close to Celestia, whose large, blue irises were eying him cautiously.

This particular pony, while of a similar, if somewhat shorter build to its counterpart, did not have fur colored of ivory white, but of a dark, subdued blue instead. Around its neck was worn a pitch-black collar, emblazoned with a stark white moon that was also present as a mark located in the same position as that of the sun motif on Celestia. On its head it wore a small black tiara, and glimmering silver cuffs topped its hooves. Also like, yet contrasting to, the white princess, the stranger’s mane and tail shifted and shimmered of their own accord, a transparent cobalt hue that glittered from within with dozens of tiny, pointed lights. All of this added up to give Connor the immediate and obvious impression of a night-based theme, which became a piece of a puzzle that miraculously assembled itself in his mind.

It all made sense now: the color scheme of the castle, and references aplenty to celestial bodies. Confronted with this new evidence, it now seemed as plain as night and day. Literally.

I assume she’s the other princess, then, he guessed. A princess for the day, and a princess for the night. It was actually kind of cheesy, in a cliche Disney sort of way. Though he would never have cared to say so out loud.

“Uh... H-hi, Princess,” Connor said meekly with a short wave, as he passed the threshold into the study and quietly pushed the door shut behind him. “Or, I-I guess I should say, Princesses.”

Celestia nodded gently, a small smile on her face. “You would be correct. Come now, there's no need to be shy. This,” she explained, motioning to the one beside her. “...is my dear younger sister, Luna.”

To this, the blue one nodded in the affirmative, and she spoke out in a more formal, slightly younger tone. “Indeed. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, young Connor. I admit I have been eager to meet you ever since my sister apprised me of your situation.”

“It’s uh... It’s nice to meet you too, Luna,” Connor replied, nervously rubbing his elbow, averting his gaze from the Night Princess and taking a glance around the study.

It was a large, open space, but against the rest of the castle it looked almost quaint in comparison. The two story room’s walls were lined with multitudes of cluttered bookshelves, along with desks and tables that held up a number of curious-looking objects. The floor was completely covered in soft, dark brown carpet that extended from the doorway all the way across to where Celestia and Luna sat next to a grand, ornate fireplace, in which a crackling blaze cast a warm, friendly light into all corners of the study. Behind them, a pair of open glass double-doors lead out onto a balcony, which offered a pure, unobstructed view of the night sky. This room had an altogether different feel than that of the guest room Connor had been given. It felt lived-in. Cozy. Safe.

It also didn’t hurt that there were no guards around to stare icy daggers at him.

As he stood by the door, none-too-subtly examining the room, he failed to notice Luna lean over and whisper something unintelligible to her sister, to which the elder replied with a brief chuckle. That he noticed, and his attention snapped back to the two princesses who were apparently sharing a moment at his expense.

“Hey, are you talking about me?” Connor asked accusingly, growing slightly flustered.

“Why, not at all. It would be rude to speak light of a guest while in their presence, wouldn't it, sister?” Celestia replied, casting a glance towards Luna even with the remnants of a half-hidden smile on her own face, to which the younger sister responded by looking away and nodding her head. “Now then, you are more than welcome to come here and take a seat with us. There's no need to be nervous, we just want you to feel comfortable.”

Connor nodded slowly, and took a deep breath to steady himself before stuffing his hands in his jacket pockets and taking regular, deliberate steps right up to the rug shared by the two royal ponies. He stopped right past the edge, and then lowered himself into a cross-legged sitting position. There was an awkward, silent pause as the three glanced across to each other, before Connor worked up the courage to speak first.

“Soooo...” he began, drumming his fingers together, his mind deciding then to cut off the stream of thoughts to his mouth. He breathed in through his nose, at a loss as to what to say next. “Yeah...”

Celestia, sensing his apprehension, decided to pick up the conversation, speaking in her typical wise, empathetic tone. “If you would not mind my asking: how are you feeling at the moment? When we last spoke, you were understandably... quite distressed.”

Connor’s ears burned as he recalled the anger-fueled tirade he regrettably took part in earlier that day. “I'm really sorry... about how I acted. That was really uncalled for. I just... I don't do well under pressure.”

"I understand, we all make mistakes sometimes. It takes great strength to own up to them. Thank you," Celestia said consolingly. "And how are you doing now?"

The human let out a shaky sigh, relieved to be so quickly forgiven by someone who no doubt had the power to make his life even more messed up than it was already. "Better than before, yeah. I'm still way outside my comfort zone, but... doing better. Thanks."

“It makes me glad to hear that, and you are quite welcome,” Celestia said, pink-rimmed eyes sparkling with cheer, while Luna remained silent.

The disarming nature of her conversational tone was starting to help Connor feel slightly less intimidated, and he did his best to convince himself that, while he felt nervous and out of place, there really was no need to be. Swallowing his apprehension, he then brought himself to carry on speaking.

“Well, then... I guess I’ll go ahead and--” he started, before being interrupted by a disturbingly audible groan originating from his torso. Eyes widening in a mortified expression, his hand shot to his grumbling stomach.

Neck and face starting to tinge red, he could only glance around apologetically after the sudden and unexpected disruption. Ominously, neither of the Princesses spoke a word, each maintaining stern poker faces in deadpan silence.

That is, until Luna’s hoof instantly went to her muzzle as she burst out in a fit of barely contained laughter. This earned her a hard look from her older sister, but one that could only be held for a matter of seconds before she too closed her eyes with a smile, letting a snicker or two escape her lips.

Connor could only watch, sweating with embarrassment, as the two ponies made light of his gastrointestinal faux pas. But, after a moment, their good spirits started to make him feel a bit differently. As if their mirth was contagious, Connor soon found that he was chuckling lightly himself. He breathed in to try and maintain his composure, but that quickly failed, and he sputtered out, laughing even more openly.

This continued for a good minute, all three of them finding immense catharsis in the absurdity of the situation. As soon as one of them would get a hold of themselves, a quick observation of the other two only served to set them off again. By the end of it, Connor had been laughing so hard he had to wipe a tear from his eye.

Just like that, all of the tension that had been present in the room had been blown out the door like so much stale air, and as Connor gasped in and out, trying to compose himself, Luna was the first to speak up.

“Well, now. That was rather unexpected. You have my apologies for conducting myself in such an unseemly manner,” the Night Princess said consolingly, to which Connor responded by raising his hand in a dismissive gesture.

“No, no. You don’t have to apologize. I think, whew... Heh, I think that was just what I needed.”

“They do say laughter is the best medicine,” Celestia chipped in. “And believe me, I happen to know a certain somepony who knows precisely what that means. Still, this is perfectly understandable. You mustn’t have eaten at all since you arrived here. Please, allow me.”

And with that, Celestia's horn lit up, and something located on a nearby table was enveloped in a misty yellow glow as it was raised in the air and floated over. As it grew closer, Connor could see it was a crystal bowl, filled to overflowing with a colorful assortment of various fruits. She settled it down on the rug in between them, then motioned with a hoof to suggest he should go ahead.

“Wow, thanks. Don’t mind if I do,” Connor said in gratitude, eagerly reaching over and plucking a large, shiny red apple off the top of the pile. He took a moment to appraise the larger than average fruit, noting its spotless surface and impeccable shine, before raising it to his mouth and biting down, savoring the crispness and the ripe, juicy flavor.

Oh, man. This is so... It’s just damn good.

“I shfink jish...” he started, before being reminded of present company, quickly finishing his bite and swallowing hard. “I think this is the best-tasting apple I’ve ever had,” Connor finished without a trace of hyperbole, before continuing with his meal.

“I would hope so,” the Sun Princess responded. “In fact, I have them specially delivered from the orchard of a very good friend of ours. I daresay we consider them the best in Equestria. Wouldn’t you agree, Luna?”

“Indeed,” Luna replied, casually using her own blue-tinged magic to pick up one for herself.

Halfway through his sweet, tangy treat, Connor paused, suddenly remembering what it was he wanted to ask before being rudely interrupted by his hunger. “By the way, I was wondering: why did you ask me to come here? I mean, what did you want to talk to me about?”

At mention of this, Celestia’s face took on a more serious expression and she nodded her head, reminded of the reason for this nightly gathering.

“Ah, yes. I suppose it is high time we returned to the matter at hoof,” she said, followed by a short sigh. Apparently she was regretting that the tone of the evening would have to shift so soon. “I confess there is a great deal that we simply do not know. My sister and I were wondering if perhaps you could clear away a few details, starting with the events leading up to your arrival.”

Connor looked between Luna and Celestia, both of whom now leaned forward expectantly and patiently. Building his own confidence, Connor breathed deeply and readjusted his glasses. “Okay, then... I guess I’ll just start at the beginning...”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The minutes passed by slowly as Connor recounted his tale.

He decided to open with the night of that strange and terrifyingly powerful storm, as it seemed improbable now that the odd circumstances surrounding it were entirely unrelated to what had happened just a scant three days afterwards. As he continued on, Connor spared no details as the royal sisters listened intently and without interruption.

When he arrived at the part involving the three-stone structure with the beacon of light at its base, Celestia looked upward and off in the distance, thinking of the implications of what he had described. She cast a quick glance to Luna, whose face mirrored her own ponderous expression, before turning her attention back to the teenager just as he wrapped up his story.

“...and then that’s when I woke up here,” he finished calmly. Shortly after, the white alicorn amended his tale, bringing Connor up to speed with the events that unfolded in the castle courtyard.

“It is intriguing...” Celestia mumbled, holding a hoof to her chin in consternation. “If what we have each witnessed is indeed some form of magic, then it's of a nature I have not heard much of before, if ever. Do you have any insights, Luna?”

“I fear I am as perplexed as you are, Tia,” Luna replied, her blue eyes slightly downcast.

“So it’s a mystery to you too, huh?” Connor posited rhetorically. He put his hands in his pockets, unsure of where to go after that. As the line of conversation trailed off into silence, Connor then figured he might as well indulge some of his more burning questions. “You know, something’s been bugging me for a while now. Like an itch in the back of my mind, you know?”

“And that would be?” the Sun Princess asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, it’s a whole bunch of things, actually. For one, well, I’m a human. That’s my species,” he explained, finding it slightly strange to be describing himself in that manner. “And as far as you know, humans don’t exist here in, um...”

“Equestria.”

“Equestria, right. So, frankly, how can we be speaking the same language? I mean, it makes no sense when you think about it: Different world, different species, and we both speak English? That's a hell of a coincidence.”

“You make a very valid point, Connor,” Luna spoke up with an expression of interest. “Though, while it may be ‘English’ to you, to us, you are speaking common Equestrian.”

“And one other thing,” Celestia added. “We both appear to use the word ‘earth,’ yet while you use it to name your world, to us it simply means the ground that we stand on, along with how we describe those of our kind who are neither pegasus or unicorn: earth ponies.”

“Yes. Despite the obvious, it would appear our two worlds are remarkably similar in a number of ways, language included,” said Luna, deep in thought, as Connor crossed his arms, brow furrowed.

“Yeah. It’s almost like... I dunno, alternate universes. Parallel worlds or something, where a lot of stuff is similar but also different. Except instead of zeppelins flying around and Nixon on the twenty, I get talking ponies who can use magic. Heh, go figure.”

Despite his halfhearted attempt at making a joke, he got no response, the obscure human references apparently lost on the Princesses. As the white alicorn on his left tilted her head in slight confusion, her eyes suddenly widened and gasped in an expression of instant recollection.

“Oh, to think I almost forgot! Connor, I believe we have something which belongs to you,” she explained, before calling upon her magic and pulling some object from a closed casket across the room. Before he could ask her to explain, Connor balked at seeing what it was she had been referring to. It was something he had least expected to encounter, here of all places: his iPod, instantly recognizable in its light blue protective casing.

“What? But that’s mine! Where did you get that?” he asked, thoroughly baffled, as he reached out and plucked the device and the accompanying earbuds from Celestia’s magic field, after which Luna answered him.

“The guards who brought you in confiscated it from inside your jacket. They actually believed it might be dangerous, but my sister was doubtful of that. She made sure to keep it for you,” she explained. “Neither of us have touched it, but all the same, I must admit I myself am immensely curious. What is it?”

Connor turned the gizmo over in his hands, marveling at his own forgetfulness -- he often forgot to empty his coat pockets regularly -- and at the fact that it survived the trip to Equestria intact. He clicked the home button eagerly, and the display instantly came to life, greeting him with a wall of his most used applications.

“It still works. And hey, the battery's still full!” he exclaimed incredulously, finding himself in familiar territory as his finger swiped over its glossy interface and both ponies leaned forwards to have a look. “Oh, and to answer your question, it’s called an iPod.”

“That is... interesting,” the Sun Princess remarked, her face showing a keen interest. “This device, this ‘eye pod’ as you call it. What is it for? What can it do?”

“Oh, it can do a lot of things. Take pictures, watch videos, check the weather,” Connor listed off. “But mostly I just use it to listen to music.”

Upon hearing this, Luna’s ears perked up. “Music? That small device can actually play music? How? Where does the record go?”

“It doesn’t need a record. All of the songs are all right here.” Connor held up the iPod and shook it lightly for emphasis. “It’s got well over three thousand on it, which I admit isn’t as much as some people's but--”

“Could you play something?” the blue alicorn asked suddenly, an eager and expectant expression coming across her.

“Oh... Sure, why not? Here, lemme find something.”

At the Night Princess’ request, he hit the music icon and started tabbing through the list of bands and various artists. He muttered to himself as he did so, musing over the dozens of choices while shaking his head occasionally, thinking about some options and dismissing others outright. He felt as if he was about to show off his personal tastes in music to a complete stranger, and wanted to pick something that was easy to digest, entertaining, yet also representative of his collection as a whole.

No... No... Oh, God, no. That’s not something I would call ‘easy listening,’ he continued on and on, scrolling down the list before his finger stopped in its tracks, and a goofy grin slowly crawled its way past his lips. Yes. That’s perfect.

“Ladies, I give you the expert musical stylings of Jaime y Los Chamacos,” he said to the two incredulous Princesses as he bumped up the volume on the device, his finger came down on the selection, and a very peculiar song started emanating immediately from the iPod’s small speaker.

As the jaunty tune titled "Polkas y Huapangos" sounded out through the air, both Celestia and Luna slowly bore expressions of acute puzzlement as their ears twitched slightly. They looked at each other bemusedly, apparently at a loss for words. Watching their reactions with great interest, Connor nonchalantly reached over to grab another piece of fruit from the bowl in between them and started chomping away in an attempt to mask the stupid grin that stubbornly refused to leave his face.

A good thirty seconds of accordions and upbeat acoustic guitar had passed before either of them attempted to speak. By then, Luna had started almost imperceptibly nodding with the beat, while her older sister pursed her lips -- holding her ears flat to her head -- and was simply staring off into space. She didn’t appreciate polka all that much, apparently.

“I... think that’s enough of a demonstration, if you wouldn’t mind, Connor. Thank you for sharing,” Celestia stated flatly, causing her sister to droop slightly.

“Aww, okay,” Connor acquiesced with a hint of mock disappointment. With the press of his finger, the music ceased, and he clicked another button on the side of the iPod, causing the screen to go dark. He then pocketed the now-silent music player. “It’s just as well, I guess. Without a way to charge it back up, let’s just say I’ll have to ration the battery.”

“Still though, I think we can agree that it’s quite unlike anything we have here in Equestria,” Luna chimed in, eyes sparkling with wonder as she imagined the possibilities. “If such things are so prevalent in your world, it must be a truly fascinating place.”

Connor reached up and scratched the back of his head. “It’s really not that great,” he replied, trying his best to downplay her curiosity. “I mean, it’s nothing compared to what you have here. You guys can use actual magic! That alone blows anything we can do out of the water. How does that even work, by the way?”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the evening passed by in a flash after that. Minutes turned into hours as, like a child on a field trip to the local museum, Connor peppered the two royal ponies with question after question about the strange new world he found himself in. They discussed a wide range of topics, such as the basics of magic casting, the different races of ponykind, and the seemingly impossible ways that a modern society could function when its primary inhabitants had to use their hooves and mouths for pretty much everything.

Through it all, the sisters did their best to oblige him in a friendly, casual manner. And in return, Connor tried his hardest to answer their own occasional inquiries about Earth and humanity in general. Celestia in particular found it fascinating that, on his world, the heavenly bodies moved of their own accord; a completely foreign concept to the one whose primary duty was to set the sun on its path across the sky every day.

And in spite of everything that had happened, for once Connor was actually enjoying conversing with these two alien beings -- who were seeming even less alien by the minute. So much so, in fact, that until he was interrupted mid-sentence by a long and jarring yawn, he had failed to notice just how far along the night had progressed.

“Oooh, man, that was a big one,” Connor said drowsily, blinking a few times. “Feels like we’ve been at this forever. What time is it anyway? Wait, don’t answer that, I can just check myself.”

With that, he removed his iPod from his jacket and switched it on for a moment, glancing at the clock near the top of the screen. The tiny white numbers read 10:15 A.M.

“...Well, never mind. So much for that,” he admitted quickly, stuffing the obviously uncalibrated gadget back in his coat. “Do either of you have the time?”

Celestia glanced up at the grand fireplace, on which a gold-leafed timepiece sat mounted near the top, silently ticking away. “It is nearly past eleven. We have been at this quite a while, have we not? I must confess, I find myself growing tired as well,” she responded, closing her eyes and breathing deeply. “Perhaps it is best if we retire for tonight. Don't you agree, Luna?”

“Yes, it seems to be for the best.” The midnight-blue alicorn nodded. “I have my nightly court to hold, after all. And you need your rest if you are to be prepared for raising the sun in the morning.”

The Princess of the Day regarded her sister with agreement, and she got up to her hooves, stretching out her wings as she did so. She was followed soon after by both Connor and Luna.

“There is just one more matter to address before you can depart, if you wouldn't mind staying for a moment more,” the white alicorn said to Connor in a more serious tone.

Connor turned away from the door to look back at Celestia. “And what would that be?”

“It is about plans for the future. I feel I am safe in assuming you wish to return home as soon as possible, correct?”

Connor’s expression turned slightly dour, and he cast his gaze away, towards the crackling warmth of the fire. “Yeah... more than anything. Do you really think it’s possible?”

To this, Celestia offered that gentle, caring smile of hers, her voice taking on an aspect of acute hopefulness.

Anything is possible. You standing here before me is proof of that, and I plan to do everything in my ability to help you in this regard. Starting tomorrow, I shall have the very best of my magical advisors and court scholars looking into this matter, and researching these circumstances to their fullest extent. If there is a solution, I am quite sure they will find it.”

“I... um...” Connor started to say, scuffing his shoe against the rug. “I don’t know what to say. Thank you. That means a lot.”

Celestia let the statement stand on its own, and as her sister slowly cantered towards the study door, she continued. “Until then, however, there is the matter of -- to be frank -- living arrangements. There is simply no telling how long this process will take, and I will not have you confined to this castle for any great length of time, I am sure you would agree.”

“Why not, though? It wouldn’t be all that bad, would it?”

Celestia sighed, and turned towards the open balcony.

“While I have managed to keep knowledge of your existence confined to these walls, the longer you stay here, the more risk we run of word creeping out into the city. And while it pains me to admit it, the residents of Canterlot are not the most... tolerant of ponies. It was hard enough downplaying the events of your arrival, especially after what everypony’s gone through this past week. Let's just say, if it was known that an alien being had dropped from the sky into their city, it would make things... difficult,” she explained at length, then turned back to face Connor. “Therefore, it is probably for the best if you stay somewhere outside Canterlot.”

Connor folded his arms and looked at the Princess skeptically. “And you have a plan?”

“I believe so, yes,” she replied with a nod. “Though it all depends on a number of factors, not the least of which being... Well, I will not keep you here for the finer points. Suffice it to say we will know for sure by tomorrow afternoon. Now, if you would excuse me, I have a letter to write. Good night to you, Connor. Sleep well.”

And with that, the night’s long conversation was over. Connor responded with a “Good night.” of his own, accompanied by a bow of his head, then turned to leave the sisters’ study, where Luna was waiting by the open door.

“Are you ready? If so, I would like to escort you to your room,” the blue alicorn spoke to him.

“Um, okay. It’s your castle,” Connor responded, motioning with one arm indicating that she could leave first.

Connor stood by the exit for a moment longer, pausing to take a lingering look back at the white royal pony, who had summoned some writing utensils from a nearby shelf and was busy transcribing onto a piece of parchment, quill held aloft by a yellow field.

After some slight hesitation, he then turned back towards the hallway and stepped outside, pulling the heavy door shut behind him. Princess Luna had already dismissed the guard apparently, so it was only the two of them as they made their way through the castle, neither one able to think of some piece of conversation to fill the void. Not until they had reached the foyer with the stained glass windows did Connor decide to break the awkward silence as they descended the center stairs.

“Can I ask you something?”

“You may,” Luna replied calmly.

“Not to sound ungrateful or anything like that, but why? Why are you two doing so much for me? After all the trouble I’ve caused already it’s not as if I deserve it...” he stated dejectedly, standing in place with his hand gripping the railing.

“It is not a matter of deserving anything,” the Princess said as she walked onwards, with Connor following behind shortly after. “Is it really so strange that we offer our help while asking nothing in return? Not everything needs a reason, you know.” They continued on down the cavernous hallway, side by side, for a few more seconds in silence, before Luna went on. “Besides... Celestia and I understand what you are going through.”

This statement made Connor look up and at the midnight blue pony with a questioning glance, before returning his gaze straight ahead. “Do you really? I find that hard to believe. Do you even know what it’s like, being separated from everything and everyone you know? Not knowing if you’ll ever see them again?”

Connor was so focused on his own issues, that he failed to notice that Luna had paused in her walking. But after a few steps, he realized she was no longer next to him, and he turned to face the alicorn, who had her head turned down, a look of sadness in her eyes.

“Yes... In fact, we know that all too well,” she said in a low, faraway voice.

“What happened? If you don't mind my asking.”

“I made a terrible mistake once. A long, long time ago...” Luna replied despondently. As she went on with her story, she picked up her hooves heavily and plodded ahead. “I was misguided and foalish, and due to my actions, I hurt my subjects... I hurt Celestia... In the end, she had no choice but to... to punish me for what I had done.”

Connor copied her steady pace, and held his attention on her, listening intently without asking her to elaborate.

“I was sent away. So very far away... alone. At the time, it was surely for the best, and granted, I was not quite myself when it happened. Yet, while I deserved my punishment... my own sister hardly deserved to be the one to inflict it upon me.”

The sadness in Luna’s voice was thick and plainly evident, and Connor had to fight to prevent it from causing himself to tear up. This revelation, depressing as it was, just happened to make a lot of things clear in his mind. In an instant, Connor felt he understood just a little bit more about the Sun Princess than he had gathered about her from their brief encounters.

That must be why. She feels guilty about what happened to her sister. And maybe, by helping me, she’s trying to find a way to redeem herself.

“I’m sorry,” Connor admitted, before hesitantly reaching out and placing a comforting hand on Luna’s smooth, furred shoulder. “I’m sorry for bringing it up... I can’t imagine what that must’ve been like for you two.”

To this, Luna raised her head, sniffing loudly and blinking away any moisture that had started to collect, before she reasserted her calm demeanor. “Well, that is all in the past now. Things worked out in the end, as they always do. What is done is done, and now we must focus on the future. As for now, it would seem we have arrived.”

Connor was at first puzzled as to what she was referring to, until he looked around and realized they had come to a stop outside the cherry-red doors of his guest room. A few feet away, a unicorn of the Royal Guard stood impassively, eyes straight ahead. Connor stepped forward and grasped the door’s handle, before Luna interrupted one last time.

“Before you retire, I wanted to say something. To give you a piece of advice,” she said, eyes locked on his. “No matter how hopeless things may appear, and even if you fail to see so yourself... there is always hope. So long as there is a tomorrow, there is the potential for a brighter day. I just wanted you to know that.”

Despite the terribly cliche nature of her remark, Connor nevertheless found the words comforting. Words of experience, he had come to realize. He was about to respond, but just then the Princess spoke up again, almost as an afterthought.

“And one last thing. On behalf of myself, my sister, and the ponies of this land, I bid you welcome. Welcome to Equestria.”

“Thanks... Thank you for, well, everything,” Connor reciprocated in gratitude. “Good night.”

“And the same to you.”

And with that, the Princess of the Night turned on the spot, and proceeded down the hall from whence they had come, hooves scuffing lightly against the carpeted floor. Connor watched her go in silence, before turning his head slightly to face the stoic form of the soldier pony.

“And a good night to you, buddy,” he said with a smirk, and as expected, eliciting no reaction whatsoever.

Connor pushed down on the handle he held in his hand, opening the door with a soft creak, stepping inside, and closing it shut behind him. As he leaned back against the thick wood, he took a deep breath of air, and brought his hands up to run over his face and neck.

There was something about the words Luna had said to him at the end there. Something mildly... unnerving.

Welcome to Equestria.

Something about those words carried a distinct finality to them. It was the period on the end of a sentence that wrapped up nicely everything that had happened in the past twenty-four hours. And for whatever reason, they persisted in bouncing around his head like the back and forth of a tennis match. So much so that it combined with his acute drowsiness to form the onset of a mild headache that radiated from his temples. As he reached up to massage away the ache, there was only one thing he wanted now. And that thing was sleep.

Grunting lightly as he lifted himself away from the door, he walked across the room, which was lit by little else than a straight beam of pale light streaming in through the curtained window. He stopped at the foot of the extravagant bed by the far wall and sat down, kicking off his sneakers and placing them on the floor nearby. This was followed by his socks, which he then balled up and stuffed inside the soles of his shoes. Next came the glasses, removed and folded up to be placed on a nightstand by the head of the bed.

And lastly, he removed his blue jacket, tossing it to the ground with a flick of his wrist where it landed in a clump, followed by his white T-shirt. Now wearing nothing but his checkered pajama pants, he flipped over the covers and eased himself in between them. The plush underside of the mattress instantly depressed under his weight, and he felt himself sink into what he could only describe as "extreme comfort." All of the physical aches and pains his body had accumulated throughout the day gradually melted away underneath the warm, downy comforters.

Connor closed his eyes and buried his head in the pillow, wanting more than anything for the tumult of his thoughts to give way to blissful unconsciousness. Yet, even as he let himself slip away, and despite his best efforts, the words continued to cycle over in his mind, a constant reminder of the current reality of his life.

Welcome to Equestria.

Welcome to Equestria.

Welcome...

Author's Note:

If you're curious about the song that Connor played from his iPod, here it is: link.