• Published 19th Nov 2014
  • 4,366 Views, 196 Comments

The Early Life of Blueblood - Macgyver644200



Of the young royals, the two princesses are fairly well accounted for. However, the prince still needs an explanation.

  • ...
1
 196
 4,366

Chapter VI - Malaise

“I see you there.”

Blueblood stood behind a mark out on the castle grounds, covered in sweat, focusing on the targets on the podium. Or rather, he was trying to. The stupid Barnese Mountain Dog was panting nearby, and even after several months, he had failed to endear himself to Blueblood, mainly due to disgusting displays of affection.

Cadance was unsympathetic as she practiced her backstroke in the nearby pool. “Aww, he’s just cheering you on.”

“Well he can do it from well over there. Over here, he is causing the annoying odor that wet dogs are known for.”

Blueblood screwed up his concentration again and tried to launch a bolt of magic at one of the targets. Blueblood thought he could feel a flutter of magic the last time, which drove him on. He pulled from deep within, trying to reach that inner well of magic. Nothing. Blueblood pulled deeper, gritting his teeth and letting out a groan.

Cadance pulled over to the side of the pool. “Uh, Blueblood, should you be straining so hard?”

Blueblood ignored her. Just a little closer. Eventually, his grunting turned into a loud groan, and he felt something just as he fell over.

Cadance caught him before he hit the ground and set him down gently. “OK, you’re taking a break,” she said sternly.

Blueblood lay on the grass for several minutes, as Cadance ensured he did nothing but breathe. Finally, Cadance let him get back up. “Did anything happen?” Blueblood asked.

Cadance frowned at him. “Yeah, you almost passed out. Worse, you’ve been hiding it from me. Blueblood, you’ve got to be careful. Keep exhausting yourself and you’ll hurt yourself.”

Blueblood frowned back at her, but eventually sighed. “Sorry.”

“I know,” Cadance said, frown now gone. “I know you hate hearing this, but better late than never.”

Blueblood sighed again, a disgusted frown on his face. “...let’s go inside.”

He slowly got up and walked towards the door, Cadance following closely behind. As the two got to the door, Cadance telekinetically grabbed the handle and pulled the door open. Blueblood scrunched up his face and tried to grab the door. Nothing happened, so Blueblood concentrated harder.

Suddenly, a large stream of golden sparks flew out of his horn. Blueblood couldn’t help but stare at the spectacle before he started laughing. “Cadance! Look-”

He turned his head and found that Cadance’s horn had gone absolutely haywire. Beams of magic were shooting every which way out of it, some pulverising, some crystallizing, one ripping up everything it touched and pulling all the debris together. “BLUEBLOOD! RUN!” Cadance cried out.

The blasting beam skirted Blueblood’s hooves and Blueblood dashed into the garden. Ignoring a bout of dizziness, he ducked into a bush to catch his breath. He looked back out at his sister, whose magic was still out of control. Cadance tried to bring her hoof to her horn, but shied away each time from the painful magical energy. Blueblood started looking around on the ground for something to throw. However, the stream of sparks obscured his vision. Reluctantly, he put his hoof up to his horn and extinguished them.

Blueblood smelled Spike before he saw him. Spike had a baseball in his mouth, which he quickly dropped at Blueblood’s hooves. Blueblood looked at Spike, who pushed the ball towards him with a whine. With a growl, Blueblood picked up the slobbery ball and hefted it to eye level. “CADANCE!” Cadance turned and Blueblood let the ball fly. Several of the beams came close to the ball, but it found its mark.

As soon as the ball struck her horn, Cadance’s magic shut off. Cadance curled over slightly at the sharp pain, a few tears in her eyes but mostly trying to get her breathing under control. Blueblood remained in the bush with Spike. “Cadance, are you alright?” he yelled.

Cadance was quiet for several moments before she finally nodded. “Yeah, I think I got it.” She looked over at Blueblood. “Thanks.” Something in the sky caught her attention. “Blueblood, look up.”

Blueblood obeyed. Arcing across the sky was a rainbow-colored ring of light emanating out from some point to the west. Blueblood stared at the ring intently, but he couldn’t remember anything that might have any useful information.

“Come on,” Cadance told him, “let’s get indoors.”

<*>

Blueblood, Cadance, and Spike had hunkered down in Cadance’s room for about fifteen minutes when Celestia charged in. “Blueblood, Cadance, are you two alright?” she asked the two.

“Yeah,” Cadance replied. “What happened?”

Celestia relaxed. “There was a rogue wave of pegasus magic that amplified unicorn magic all over the city. It’s only affecting unicorns and objects that have been immediately touched with unicorn magic, and that at random, so just don’t use any magic for the time being.”

“Do you think it has something to do with that rainbow in the sky?” Blueblood asked.

Celestia nodded. “A sonic rainboom. It’s already a rare event, and this seems to have come from a young foal. When he or she gets older, I’d guess they’ll be able to do one without the magical pulse. I’ve issued a statement for the public: the initial pulse travels much faster than the rainboom’s pulse, so I imagine some unicorns further from the origin are very confused right about now.”

“Anything really bad happen?” Cadance asked.

“Hard to say,” Celestia replied. “In Canterlot, at least, there don’t seem to have been any fatalities, although the investigation is still far from over.”

Cadance nodded. “Well, thank-” Cadance suddenly paled. “Twilight!”

She moved for the door but Celestia stopped her. “She’s alright,” she said, “I was right there when everything happened: she’s OK” Celestia smiled. “In fact, she was probably the biggest source of magic in Canterlot. She even managed to not only hatch a dragon’s egg, but make the dragon grow to at least seventy feet high!”

Cadance stared at Celestia. “Wow… wait, you use dragon eggs in testing?”

“They’re much tougher than you think,” Celestia told her. “If the dragon isn’t ready to be born, it’d take an alicorn to crack the egg open. Even hatching one that’s ready will exhaust an adult unicorn, much less a child. And before you ask, the eggs were orphans found in Equestria: if any hatch, I find them a home.”

“Oh.” Cadance smiled. “Wow! My babysittee is a, no, the magical prodigy!”

Celestia smiled. “More than that, she’s my new personal student. She might even become an… Blueblood?”

While the two were talking, Blueblood had started slouching over, his eyes focused a thousand miles away. At Celestia’s question, he slowly raised his head. “Aunt Celestia,” he asked slowly, “when you say the pulse amplified unicorn magic, what do you mean?”

Celestia’s smile faded away completely. “Well,” Celestia said carefully, “I suppose that was the wrong word. Basically, it causes unicorns and alicorns to release all of their unicorn magic at once.”

Blueblood’s face fell further. “What’s wrong?” Celestia asked him.

“... I think something’s wrong with me.”

<*>

The next day, Celestia took Blueblood to a doctor. Family history had been given and all sorts of tests had been done. The doctor said that it would take about a week to gather preliminary results and that he would write them when testing was done.

The next week was terrifying for Blueblood. He shut himself away in his room all day except for school, which he wandered through wrapped in his anxieties. With the rainboom’s effects in mind, rumors began to circulate, from him killing his sister to him almost being blasted to atoms by Princess Celestia. Blueblood said nothing, which only made the rumors spread even more. In the end, all but his close friends decided to stay away from him, and even they kept a little distance between him and them, though no more than they kept between each other.

Five days after the tests, Blueblood was in his room. Cadance had left to babysit, per usual for Fridays, and Blueblood was trying to make himself hungry enough for a snack. He’d skipped lunch, but he still felt like he would be sick if he tried to eat anything. The cookie jar on his dresser was open, but Blueblood couldn’t bring himself to do anything. He wanted to use magic, but if nothing happened…

“Blueblood.”

Blueblood turned away from the jar. Celestia was standing in the doorway, frowning and holding a letter in her magic. “It’s here,” she said, laying it down on his desk.

Blueblood walked over to his desk and stared at the letter: it was unopened. He stretched out a hoof, but it stopped just short of pulling it over to him. Blueblood looked up at Celestia. Celestia nodded, then opened the letter and read.

“Dear Princess Celestia,
We have just finished examining the results. While we would like to remind you that this is only a preliminary diagnosis, it seems certain that your nephew has hypomagia totalis. While he has just enough magic to manifest his cutie mark, it seems that he will never develop a significant amount of magic beyond that. We regret to say that there is still no cure. Worse, as this is hypomagia totalis, he will be unable to store magic or use other sources of magic, meaning that he will not be able to use the normal methods to circumvent his condition.

Enclosed is a standard information kit to help you teach him how to cope, if you need it. We will also write to you if we find any potential treatments that the two of you would like to test. We are sorry, and we will continue our tests, but that is the most we can do at this time.

Your faithful subject,
Valgus Angle”

Celestia put the letter down. Blueblood’s face had gone stony and he sat in silence. “Blueblood?” she asked. “Do you need anything?”

Blueblood’s jaw clenched and he began tapping his hoof to his cheek. He sucked in a ragged breath, but no tears fell from his eyes. Finally, he shook his head. “No. I think I’m alright.”

Celestia looked at him. “You’re sure?”

Blueblood shifted. “I know my family history, Aunt Celestia,” he said. “It was about time for someone to get it, and I guess that meant me.” He let out a breath. “I think I want to be alone for a while.”

Celestia frowned at him, but nodded. “Very well. I have a meeting with Octesian about the baby dragon. We’ll be out in the garden, so feel free to come and get me if you change your mind.”

“OK, just leave me alone.”

Celestia turned and very slowly left Blueblood alone with his thoughts. For a few moments after Celestia had left Blueblood’s sight, his mind was quiet. Then his inner voice began to speak up again and Blueblood could do nothing as the fears that had plagued him all week began to sprout.

‘Squib. That’s what you are now. Heaven help you if anypony finds out. They’re going to pity you. You’re not a genius with an awe-inspiring gift; you’re just disabled and cute. You can hide it for a while, but somepony’s going to wonder why you use your hooves for everything. Then they’re going to guess, then the rumors are going to start. You’ll be exactly what they say, because they’re going to guess right.’

Blueblood scowled and clenched his teeth together, but try as he did to reason with his doubts, he could not erase them. ‘You think they like you?’ the voice continued. ‘Princess Celestia has Twilight now, and she’s had Cadance for years. Three princesses versus one duke: there’s no comparison, they win. They can shape the world, and all you can do is be smart. You could be the greatest genius in history, but you will never be adored so much as humored while everypony siddles past you to see the real celebrities.’

Blueblood slammed his hooves down onto his desk. He grabbed a cup off of his desk and flung it across the room, scattering quills all over the floor. He punched at the desk, but the desk was too sturdy to take any damage from a child. Angrier still, he bucked the chair, which skidded a foot before it toppled over. Finally, he let out a loud scream that echoed through the room before sinking to the ground, angry tears in his eyes.

Blueblood heard a soft whine. The dog had entered the room. “Get out,” he hissed.

Spike moved closer. “NO!” The dog stopped and Blueblood sucked in breath through his teeth for several seconds before he glared at the dog again. “Have I ever given any sign that I wanted you, fleabag? Huh? HAVE I? Thi- I mean, just think about it for a second. You’re disgusting. Your fur’s falling out all over the place, you smell worse than the Canterlot landfill in summer, and the first thing you do when you see me IS SLOBBER ALL OVER ME! I HATE YOU, AND I HATE EVERYPONY WHO MAKES ME LET YOU STAY HERE! IF YOU THINK YOU LIKE ME SO MUCH, WHY DON’T YOU BUG OFF AND LEAVE ME ALONE?!

As Blueblood screamed at Spike, the dog slunk backwards, ears drooped and low to the ground. Then, after Blueblood finished shouting, Spike got up and silently walked out of the room, head down and tail drooping between his legs. Blueblood glared after him before slamming the door behind him. He turned around and lay down on the floor, scowling at nothing as his anger faded and his thoughts returned to him.

They quickly turned intolerable. While Blueblood was conscious of his great intelligence, high social stature, and loyal loved ones, he was unable to focus on any of them. His mind poisoned any happy thought as it was proposed. He felt an aching emptiness that wore on him as the minutes went on. He wanted to talk to someone, but he knew they would just ignore him at best. Thus, the pain wore on until it eventually Blueblood could stand it no longer. He rose and walked to the door, ready to take a chance.

He opened the door, hoping to find Celestia having come back for some reason. But the halls were empty. “Hello?” he called, quietly and coarsely. No one came. “Hello?” Still nothing. Blueblood stood alone and waited for another minute, hoping that Cadance or one of the servants would come by. Tears dripped down his cheeks as the halls remained deserted. Suppressing a sniffle, Blueblood walked back into his room and grabbed the doorknob.

He stopped as he heard a whine. Blueblood opened the door and looked out into the hall. He saw Spike walking towards him, for once with his tongue in his mouth. “I can’t believe I’m doing this,” he said, “but I don’t think I can wait.” He motioned to his room. “Please come in.”

Spike did not. Blueblood frowned. “I’m sorry,” he said. “I just found out that… well… I can’t do magic. You’ve seen me for the past week, how anxious I’ve been getting, and… I guess everything just came to a boil. I’m sorry.” Blueblood sniffled, falling onto his rear and slumping forward as he cried. “Please, Spike,” he whimpered, “I didn… OK, I don’t really like you, but I don’t mind that everyone else-”

Blueblood felt a sudden weight on his shoulders. Spike had hopped up and wrapped his front legs around Blueblood’s neck. Spike nosed at Blueblood’s tears, but he kept his tongue in his mouth. After a moment, Spike pulled back, but Blueblood wrapped one of his own forelegs around him as he started to cry again. Spike stayed, and kept nosing away Blueblood’s tears as the two sat together.

They sat there for several minutes before Blueblood spoke. “Spike?” he said. “You’ve been really helpful, but I think I need to talk to Aunt Celestia.” Blueblood broke off the hug, got up, and walked over to the door. He stopped at the threshold, then turned to Spike. “Walk with me?” he asked.

Spike sprung up and trotted to his side, remaining there the entire way to the garden.

<*>

A few minutes later, Celestia bounded down the lawn to the gardens, baby dragon on her back. “My apologies, Octesian,” she said. “I had-”

She stopped. There was a yellow dragon seated in front of her, twice as tall as she was. A few of his frills were missing and there was a scar on his arm, but he smiled warmly to her. “That’s alright, Auntie,” he said, “you always have a good reason.”

“Eustace,” Celestia said. “Where’s your father?”

“He couldn’t make it, so I was asked to come instead.” Eustace looked around the garden. “Hoo, it’s been a while since I’ve been here. What’s it been, about thirty years?”

Celestia smiled. “Give or take. It’s good to see you again.”

The two embraced. “And it’s great to see you again,” Eustace told her.

Celestia and Eustace broke off. “So, did you manage to find a home for this little guy?”

Eustace’s smile melted, and he turned away. After several seconds of silence, Celestia opened her mouth, but Eustace interrupted her. “Aunt Celestia, things have gotten worse.”

Celestia frowned. “What happened to Octesian?”

Eustace turned back to Celestia. “He was ambushed by Isolationists. He’s alive, but it was close.”

“I’m sorry.”

“It gets worse.” Eustace scowled. “They’ve infiltrated our ranks, which is how they knew where to find him. Even worse, they’re going after the rescued children.”

Celestia’s jaw dropped open. “No.”

Eustace nodded, teeth bared. “Yes. Most of us are going to take the youngest ones underground for a while.” He looked at the baby sadly. “I’m sorry to say we really shouldn’t take any more.”

Celestia sighed. “I understand.” She looked at the baby. “It’s been a long time since I’ve raised a dragon. My only dragon.”

Eustace chuckled. “I know, Aunt Celestia, I was there.”

Celestia smiled, but her face turned serious in a moment. “I don’t suppose there’s a way for you to stay in touch, is there?”

Eustace frowned. “I’m cutting it close just letting you know. I hope that I can be there when he’s older, but for now I have to disappear.”

“Better get a move on then,” Celestia said. “I wish we could talk for longer. Good luck.”

Eustace nodded. “Thank you.” Eustace crouched down to take off, but stopped as he saw something. He smiled. “Hello there.”

Blueblood and Spike were standing across the lawn, Spike next to Blueblood and Blueblood staring at Eustace. “Uh, hello,” Blueblood called back meekly.

Eustace beckoned with his claw. “Come here,” he said. “You don’t have to be afraid of me.”

Blueblood slowly advanced, Spike close beside him. Blueblood never took his eyes off of Eustace, who only kept smiling at him. “Are you feeling alright?” Celestia asked.

Blueblood turned to Celestia. “It’s noth-”

Celestia put her hoof up to his mouth. “You’re my nephew, Blueblood,” she said. “I am perfectly willing to make time for ‘nothing’.”

“So you’re my little brother,” Eustace said. “We haven’t met. I’m Eustace. Your aunt raised me alongside your great-great-great-great-grandmother Bright Star.”

Comprehension dawned on Blueblood as a sour feeling welled up in his stomach. “Ah, yes,” Blueblood said in an attempt at a neutral tone. “Hard to forget the first dragon raised by ponies.”

Eustace looked puzzled. “What’s the matter?” he asked.

Blueblood looked at his aunt. “Aunt Celestia,” he said, “I think I really want a hug right now.”

Celestia nodded and pulled him into one. “I thought you might,” she said. “What’s on your mind?”

Blueblood swallowed. “This and that,” he said. “How everything’s different now. How I’m... going to have to adapt. How I… how I...”

Blueblood felt something large on his back. He looked up and saw Eustace smiling down at him. “You sound so much like my sister when she found out, and you’re at the right generation. She spent months switching between being angry and sad, convinced that no matter what she did, nopony would pay attention to her, or worse, that they’d just give her condescending attention. She was a genius, too, the only other pony who intellectually developed as fast as dragons do. She helped make me feel a little less like a freak.”

Celestia pulled away from Blueblood just enough to look him in the eyes. “And I’m going to tell you exactly what I told her. I love you, Blueblood, just as much as I always have. You are a good person: industrious and intelligent. You are a brother Cadance is happy to live with and a nephew I am so very proud to call my own. What you have done in your life is something any parent would be proud of, and I know that your future has promise. So when you think that no-one really likes you, remember that there are people who love you and that you’ve more than earned their respect.”

Blueblood looked into his aunt’s eyes for the longest moment, then, for the first time in a week, he smiled. A small thing, but still very welcome. “Thank you,” he said.

Celestia pulled him in close, and the two shared a quiet moment together. Blueblood’s fears had not been cut down, and the thought of telling Cadance later on still loomed over him, but he had a warm feeling inside, and he cherished it.

“I’ll tell you what,” Celestia said as she broke apart from him. “You’ve probably heard all about our baby dragon problem, so, since you’re here, I’ll let you name your new little brother.”

“Okay.” Blueblood looked around. “Where is he?”

Eustace pointed. “Over there.”

Blueblood and Celestia followed his claw and Celestia let out a chuckle. Spike was cuddling the baby and licking him all over. Based on his laughing and happy cooing, the baby seemed to quite like it. ‘Well, that’s another weight off my shoulders,’ Blueblood thought to himself. “Hey, Spike!” he called out. “Spike! Let the ba-”

“Thpi’!”

The three stared at the baby as the dog kept licking. “Thpi’!” the baby repeated. “Thpig!”

Celestia smiled. “Well how about that?” She turned to Blueblood. “You got him to say his first word.”

“It’s a pretty good name, too,” Eustace said.

Blueblood rolled his eyes. “I named the dog Spike.”

Eustace shrugged. “I have a lot of fond memories of my old dog.”

Blueblood looked back at Celestia. “I have some time for this, don’t I?” he asked.

Celestia nodded. “Of course.”

Author's Note:

Bonus points to anyone who knows where I got the dragon names.

Merry New Year! I'm sorry this is late: my sister and her husband came home from California and we took time to celebrate the week of Christ's Mass together. I also didn't want to drop this sort of subject matter on you on Christmas Eve. Anyways, here it is! Thank you RadicalDishonesty for inspiration: I have a firmer answer to your question coming in the next chapter.

As a bonus, I am re-releasing another story of mine, Psychiatry is Magic, under a new name: Ponyville Shrink Seeks Quiet Position, image to come when I find one. I originally took it down to edit because I thought I might need to do more to it than I did. Please, feel free to check it out. A warning, though: updates will be slower on that while I work on this, if they happen at all. As always, comments are welcome. To the Catholics, happy Epiphany. To the Orthodox, merry Christmas. To everyone, happy new year!