• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 15,903 Views, 5,459 Comments

Crystal's Wishes - Crystal Wishes



Crystal Wishes thought she was content just writing about ponies falling in love. While her career takes off, her love life is somewhat... lacking. Can she be happy living vicariously through her stories or will she find her own happily ever after?

  • ...
42
 5,459
 15,903

PreviousChapters Next
Repercussions

Crystal tried to back up, but her hooves slid uselessly on the floor. Everything around her was fuzzy and something moved to her left. Suddenly, she was out in the streets, surrounded by buzzing, hissing creatures. They approached her slowly, each one grinning with a malicious wickedness.

Her eyes snapped open and she jolted upright. She was hot, even though she had tossed off the covers in her sleep. Heat, sweat, and fear left her feeling more than uncomfortable. "Ugh." She panted and wiped her forehead, then slid off the bed.

Water. She needed water.

When she stepped out of her room, she was greeted by the kitchen light that felt blinding to her at that early hour of the morning. She blinked and squinted into the brightness. "Velvet?" she asked in a manner more like a groan.

"Huh?" Velvet looked over at her. "Hey. Can't sleep either?"

Crystal blinked a few more times, still attempting to adjust to the light. "I just need some water."

Velvet nodded. She cradled a mug in both hooves, kept close to her face so she could inhale its aroma. Crystal sniffed; the air smelled of warm milk with cardamom and honey.

"I see them in my dreams," Velvet whispered.

Crystal walked over to her and put a foreleg around her shoulders. She nuzzled Velvet's cheek. "Me, too."

Velvet trembled against her. "I was so scared. So very, very scared. I was sitting on the roof with some other ponies that live here, and—and the barrier just shattered." She sniffled and took a sip of the milk. The cup shook in her hooves and Crystal readied her magic just in case.

A rapid series of knocks resounded from the front door and both mares screamed. Crystal's magic lit up and sent the mug flying out of Velvet's grip and against the door.

"Crystal?!" Velvet gave a strangled laugh. "What the hay?!"

"Magic-jerk reaction," Crystal snapped, then glared at the door. "Who is it?" she called.

"It's me, it's Horsey!" the unmistakable voice replied.

They gasped and scrambled to get the door. "Horsey!" they cried together, both embracing her.

"I'm so glad to see you two safe and sound!" Horsey hugged them back as best she could. "We heard what happened in Canterlot and I got so scared. The trains weren't running until today, and—and…" She trailed off, then asked, "Hey, girls?"

"Yes?" Crystal pulled back to look at her. Velvet stayed firmly attached.

"Um, so, is that mug on the floor what hit the door when I knocked?"

"Yeah, Crystal freaked out and threw it." Velvet finally let go and scowled at Crystal. "Is this going to be your thing now? You just throw my stuff when you get scared?"

Crystal huffed. She stuck her nose in the air and started to clean up the mess while Velvet walked Horsey inside, around the broken mug and spilled milk. "I said, it was a magic-jerk reaction. Horsey knows what I'm talking about."

Horsey settled down onto a pillow. "Sort of? I mean, it can get misdirected if I get startled, so I guess the answer is yes, I do."

"Salut?" a stallion's voice asked and Savoir Fare's head peeked through the still-open doorway.

Crystal stiffened and whirled around, then relaxed from recognition. "Oh, Savoir Fare!"

Horsey's cheeks darkened. "Sav, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to run ahead and leave you behind."

Savoir Fare smiled. "Think nothing of it." His accent was far more pronounced than when he took orders at the restaurant, and as a result he sounded natural and relaxed. He turned his attention to Crystal. "Bonjour, mademoiselle. I apologize for the intrusion, but I did not want mon coeur to travel at such an hour by herself."

Crystal dropped the broken mug into the trash and walked over to the circle of pillows. She sat down on one, watching as Savoir Fare casually nestled onto the same pillow as Horsey.

He nuzzled behind her ear, then said, "So, then, your friends are safe and all is well."

Horsey flushed even more while her ear twitched from his touch. "Yes, they are." She glanced between Velvet and Crystal. "I hope we didn't wake you up, but I couldn't wait until a later train."

Velvet waved the notion away. She worked on a new mug of cardamom and honey milk. "Can I get anything for either of you?"

Savoir and Horsey shook their heads. "I'm fine," Horsey said. "Sav packed snacks for the train ride, so we had a really early breakfast."

Crystal turned her sights on Savoir and her eyes narrowed just slightly. "So, Savoir Fare. I don't believe we've had the opportunity to discuss your relationship with our dear friend."

Savoir regarded her with a raised brow. "Ah? And what would you like to talk about?" He put a foreleg around Horsey. "Your dear friend is also ma chère moitié, so I request you keep that in mind."

Crystal held eye contact with him before she broke into a chime in laughter. "I'm sorry! I wanted to be serious, but Horsey looks so terribly frightened that I can't help it." She pawed at the air. "As long as you don't make her cry, I'm just happy one of us has a special somepony."

Horsey flushed and glanced between them all. "Velvet, I changed my mind. Can I have some of that milk, too?"

"Coming right up!" Velvet giggled.

Savoir's expression relaxed into a gentle smile. "Mademoiselle Crystal, mon coeur tells me much of your success in writing."

Crystal bobbed her head in a halfhearted nod. When he arched one brow at the reaction, she said, "It's been somewhat difficult, in some ways. My first two novels are a success, which increases the pressure I feel to quickly write a third one, equal or better. But…" She sighed and shrugged. "I have yet to find inspiration." Suddenly, her ears perked up and her eyes glimmered. "Perhaps if I heard more of your story?"

Horsey cleared her throat. "I don't really want you to write a story about our awkward months and months of not-flirting."

"It was not so bad…" Savoir trailed off, thinking a moment, then amended, "It could have been worse." When Horsey groaned, he placed a gentle kiss on her cheek.

Velvet walked over and offered Horsey the warm mug of milk, then returned to the kitchen retrieve her own.

"Oh, Horsey," Crystal said, heaving a dreamy sigh. "I'm so envious."

Horsey smiled down at the mug in her hooves. "Don't worry, Crystal. If you of all ponies can't fall in love, then there's no hope for Sav and me."

Crystal huffed. "It's not my fault I can't find a suitable stallion."

"Uh-huh." Velvet took her place on the remaining pillow. "Then whose fault is it?"

"Stallions," Crystal replied with a curt nod. "None of them have the spark."

"The spark?" Savoir inquired, tilting his head, then smiled. "Ah, yes, that spark. I am afraid, Mademoiselle Crystal, that love is not something you find. It is something that finds you."

"Well, it is certainly taking the scenic route." Crystal crossed her forehooves and looked over at the nearest window, gazing at the night sky outside for a moment, then looked back at her guests. "I am afraid the condo isn't very well-equipped to accommodate company, though."

Velvet chirped, "My bed's bigger, so why don't you and Savoir share it? I'll room with Crystal for a night!" She clapped her hooves and beamed at Crystal. "It'll be like having a sleepover!"

"If you don't mind," Horsey said tentatively.

"Not at all," Velvet and Crystal responded together, then giggled.

Crystal stood. "On that note, I am going to sleep." She turned toward her door. "I'll see you two in the morning. Velvet, don't keep me waiting too long!" She winked over her shoulder.

Velvet tossed back her mug and downed the milk. "Actually, I'm pretty tired myself! Night, Horsey and Savoir!"

Horsey waved. "Good night. Thank you for letting us borrow your room."

"No problem!"

The door shut behind her and she hesitated, glancing at Crystal. "Is this a bad idea?" she asked in a quiet voice. "What if we keep each other up with nightmares?"

Crystal slipped under the covers and scooted to the far side. She patted the empty space beside her. "Maybe not being alone will make it easier to sleep."

"Mm." Velvet climbed into bed, moved toward Crystal, and snuggled against her back. "Good night."

"Night." Crystal just stared at the wall for the longest time. She was afraid to sleep, but eventually, her eyelids started to grow heavy and she was forced to drift off into slumber.

A pair of blue orbs leered at her from the darkness. Soon, she was surrounded by creatures, each one of them hissing as they drew closer…

Crystal trotted through the halls, proudly displaying her pass. The excitement she got wearing it still hadn't waned. She felt privileged, more so than she had ever felt attending any of her parents' events. They didn't have a special pass that gave them access to Princess Luna's chambers.

"Hello, Miley!" she chirped at the petite, dark-coated mare standing at her post inside, right by the door. "How are you today?"

Miley Hooves nodded with all the professional seriousness of a guard with her small stature could afford. "I'm fine, thank you, ma'am."

Crystal was in mid-step when she noticed the shiny new pin attached to the mare's armor. "Oh?" She paused to go through her mental catalog of ranks and their associated pins before she said, "I'm sorry, let me correct myself. Hello, Guard First Class Miley." She winked. "Congratulations on the promotion."

Miley's composure was broken by a bright smile. "Thank you, Crystal—ma'am!"

Crystal nodded and walked into the room. She spotted Silent Knight at Princess Luna's secretary desk and offered a small wave, but he seemed too preoccupied to notice it.

Luna looked up from her couch when Crystal neared. "Good eve to thee, Crystal. I am most glad to see thee well."

Crystal took the seat across from her and nodded. "And you, Luna. From what I heard, the castle suffered a much worse attack than the city proper."

"'Twas most unpleasant, yes." She peered at her with the soft eyes that Sunbeam had when she was concerned for Velvet. It was a gentle, motherly look. "How art thou faring?"

Crystal dropped her gaze to her hooves as they pawed at the cushion beneath her. "I have nightmares some nights," she admitted quietly. "Not every night, so I suppose it could be worse."

"Any nightmare is a cause for concern." She lifted her head and called to Miley, "Send for Raven, Miley Hooves."

Miley saluted and walked out of the room. She passed on the order to a guard standing post outside before returning to her own.

Luna tossed her starlit mane and asked, "Prithee, while we wait, wouldst thou like a cup of tea?"

"Oh, no, thank you." Crystal shook her head.

"Art thou certain?" Luna pressed, and smiled when Crystal nodded after a polite pause. "Thy manners, didst thou learn them from thy mother?"

Crystal shifted in her seat. "Yes, as well as many, many summers spent at finishing school."

Luna regarded her with an odd expression. If Crystal had to attempt to describe it, she would have to settle on the way a cat regards a new toy. "'Tis true?" She smiled. "Thou art quite the fine example of a Canterlot lady."

Crystal laughed behind a hoof. "Having spent my life with Canterlot ladies, I do not know if that is the compliment you think it is. Why do you ask?"

Luna's gaze wandered, growing briefly distant. Her voice lowered to a private level. "With thy proper upbringing, I am sure thou understandest what must be kept out of the vicious pool of gossip. Silent Knight hath suffered the involuntary end of his first relationship. I worry for him."

"Oh?" Crystal's cheeks felt hot and she did her best not to look over her shoulder. "I wasn't aware that he was seeing anypony. He seems so…" She trailed off, shaking her head.

Luna leaned in with clear interest on her face that confused Crystal further. "Yes?"

"Dedicated solely to the job," she finally finished after more thought.

The interest waned. "Yea, 'tis true." The near-predatory look returned and she leaned back into the couch. "Perhaps thou canst help. 'Twould be a good thing if he recovered from the blow."

The heat returned twofold, turning Crystal's cheeks visibly red. "Princess Luna, are you asking me to find a date for Silent?"

Luna waved the notion away. "Nay, I simply mean if thou happened to know a mare—" She smiled, looking up when the sound of hoofsteps announced a new arrival. "Ah, good evening to thee, Raven."

Raven smiled. When she saw Crystal, the smile grew more sincere. "Good evening, Princess. Hello, Crystal."

"Hi, Raven." Crystal returned the smile. "I'm glad to see you." She tilted her head to peer at the mare that followed behind her. "Who is your shadow?"

"Hmm?" Raven glanced at the mare—a pegasus, to be exact—and gestured somewhat vaguely. "Oh. Willowy Tempest is training to join my staff. She comes from Cloudsdale's very own Equestrian Weather Coordination Team, in fact."

Willowy Tempest smiled and waved. Her coral pink eyes stood out against her soft brown coat, half of her face covered by her two-tone green mane. "Hi."

"Nice to meet you," Crystal said.

Raven turned her attention on Luna. "How may I assist you, Princess?"

Luna eyed Willow before she answered, "We would like for Crystal to see a counselor. And while you are here, tomorrow, we would like to go have lunch in town. It should be a beautiful day and we do not wish to miss it."

Raven frowned. "I beg your pardon, Princess, but I don't think there is room in your schedule for a sudden change like that." She raised her planner and flipped through the pages while Luna rolled her eyes. "You have several meetings, and—"

"Excuse me?" Willow interrupted.

Raven glanced at her. "Yes?"

"Can I take a look?"

Raven hesitated, opening her mouth to argue, then decided against it and passed the planner over to her.

Willow stared at it in silence for a moment before she asked, "Is fifty minutes enough?"

Luna and Raven blinked.

Willow pointed at the schedule for the next day. "If you move this meeting up, then slide these other meetings over to this time slot, it frees up an extra thirty minutes to the allotted twenty minutes for lunch."

Raven glanced over the schedule as well and muttered, "I think that would work, actually."

Luna stared at Willow. The mare wilted from the intensity. Finally, Luna pointed at her and looked at Raven. "We shall have this one as our personal aide."

"What?" Raven gawked. "But she—"

"Thou wishest to be free of extra work, dost thou not? Then give us this one."

"I—I—" Raven blinked a few more times. "If that is what you wish, Princess."

Luna nodded. "Make it so." She waved her hoof to dismiss them and, after they left, she looked back at Crystal. "Raven shall find thee a counselor. For now, we have other matters to discuss." She tapped a hoof on a book on the table.

Its cover was black, save for the title Eventide and a pair of pale hooves holding a bright red apple.

"Hast thou read New Moon's latest book?"

Crystal scrunched her nose and nodded. "I was not interested in the lore of vamponies before, but any interest I may have had was quelled by the idea of sparkling vampony stallions."

The hours went by from the lengthy discussion of Eventide. Luna glanced at the clock on the wall and looked back at Crystal with concern knitting her brow. She lowered her voice to a whisper to say, "Crystal, by this time, thou hast normally left. Art thou worried of another attack? It hath been over a fortnight."

Crystal's gaze fell to her twiddling hooves. Her ears pinned back against her mane. "Yes, admittedly, I have been stalling to avoid leaving."

"Never thou mind," Luna said, waving to dismiss the notion. "I will take care of thee." She cleared her throat, then raised her voice to call, "Silent Knight?"

The stallion dropped a pencil as if startled, but his expression when he looked up and his voice when he spoke were both perfectly calm and collected. "Yes, Princess?"

"Wouldst thou be able to escort the fair Crystal Wishes to her home?" She smiled. "It is growing late and I do not wish for her to walk alone."

Silent Knight nodded. "Of course; I am off hours now." He rolled up the papers he had been working on and tucked them into his saddlebags, which he lifted and set on his back. "I leave you in Miley's capable hooves, Princess."

Crystal looked at him, then back at Luna. "All right, then, I suppose that means I'm leaving." She waved. "Thank you for your company, Luna. Have a pleasant night."

"And the same to thee, Crystal." Luna nodded.

Crystal walked over to the door just as Silent Knight did. He held it open and said after a small bow of his head, "After you, Crystal Wishes."

She paused to look at him. Up close, he was more handsome than she had realized. His eyes raised to meet hers and she flushed.

"Thank you," she said hurriedly and walked out of Princess Luna's chambers.

Just as she was used to, he lived up to his name. They walked through the halls and out into the main hall without a single word between them. She stole a glance to see the somewhat neutral determination on his face.

However, once they left the castle proper and were crossing the courtyard, he visibly relaxed. It was as though a switch flipped and he went from 'guard on duty' to 'stallion in armor'.

Armor that covered a well-built, muscular body.

Crystal felt her cheeks growing hot and she cleared her throat. The quiet between them continued until she could no longer stand it. "How do you like being a sergeant?"

Silent Knight shrugged. "It's weird. It is completely different than being a guard. In some ways, I'm jealous of Miley Hooves. She still has many more hours to go guarding Princess Luna."

"Is that so?" She smiled softly. "I find that success does not always bring us what we thought we wanted. Sometimes, it isn't what we dreamed it would be." Her gaze wandered their surroundings before landing on him again. He looked back at her with sincerity in his eyes and she jerked her head forward.

"Wow," he murmured. "I never thought of it like that, but that sums it up elegantly. Is that part of your writing talent?"

"Oh, no." She giggled and shook her head. "Nonetheless, here we are." She pointed at the condominium building. "I'll just—" Before she could continue, he started walking forward with clear intent to escort her to the building. She blinked, tentatively following after him. The only time a stallion would walk her all the way home was on a date, and even then not always.

He stopped at the foot of the stairs to let her lead the way. When they were just outside her door, she turned toward him. "This is my stop," she said with a small giggle.

Silent glanced down the hall, then down the other way, and finally nodded. "Good night."

Crystal looked up at him, into his silver eyes. Her heart didn't particularly flutter. Her knees didn't go suddenly weak. Instead, she felt an overwhelming sense of calm, as though her very soul trusted those eyes. It was a completely different feeling from what she read and wrote, but it was an unmistakable feeling all the same.

"Good night," she said softly, opening the door and walking inside. She stopped to watch his retreating form just before the door closed behind her. That was when her heart finally caught up to what she was thinking and started to do cartwheels in her chest.

"You're home late," Velvet playfully chided from her spot on the floor. She was in the middle of her usual stretches. "Did you have a good time at the palace, Miss Princess's Pet?"

There was a small skip in her step as she pranced over to the pillows. "Hmm? Oh, I suppose."

Velvet's ears perked. A coy smile played with her lips. "Did somepony do something naughty?"

"What?" Crystal blinked and her brow furrowed. "What? No!"

Velvet, remaining in a half-split, pulled herself along the floor and scooted closer to Crystal. "Then what's got you in such a good mood?"

Crystal stalled with a hum, looking everywhere but at Velvet. When the mare grabbed her face and forced eye contact, she grinned.

"Confess your sins!" Velvet grinned back at her.

"I felt it," Crystal said just barely above a whisper. "I think I may have found it. The spark I've been looking for."

Author's Note:

Companion Memoirs Chapter: Couching Pony, Hidden Miley

PreviousChapters Next