• Published 17th Nov 2014
  • 5,465 Views, 530 Comments

You Are Normal Too - Never2muchpinkie



When mother and daughter get into a fight over a misunderstanding their reconciliation leads to the reveal of Dinky's father, a cruel stallion who broke Derpy's heart. Can Derpy put her past regrets behind to find love and romance in the present?

  • ...
19
 530
 5,465

Epilogue: Goodnight

I was on my side, facing away from the Doctor. I couldn’t look at him at the moment. I felt too embarrassed. I was okay with it. I had chosen to do it, and I didn’t regret it, but we had just been through the most intimate of things a couple can do. I had fully exposed and given myself to him, so I was just feeling a little self-conscious at the moment.

He began to stroke my mane. “Are you okay, Derpy?”

I heard his voice, but it felt so far away, just like before. I was too lost in thought. My mind felt all scrambled.

“Derpy?” Again his voice. Although I heard his words I still couldn’t respond to them yet.

With his other hoof he began to rub my stomach. I liked that. He kissed my neck up and down, making me shiver, before he put both hooves around me and hugged me to him. “Helloooo? Anybody home in there?”

I pushed myself more firmly against him, enjoying the contact, but I still couldn’t face him. I still needed some time to think. I was still coming down from the emotional high of what we had just done.

I could say one thing about it, though. It was definitely a much different and better experience than the one I had with Shooting Star, and for that I was truly grateful. Shooting was very rough with me, treating me like an object instead of a lover, not caring about making the experience enjoyable for me. It was only about himself. At the time I didn’t care about that, because I loved him so much I wanted him to have the most of me, but it had hurt a little, and I was sore the next day.

Doctor Hooves, just like always, didn’t go right for the kill. He was very patient, as he always was, slowly warming me up. Kissing me and tickling my ear and rubbing my stomach, never rushing ahead of my comfort zone. He waited for me every step of the way, making sure the both of us got the most out of everything. It was an amazing experience. I’m happy I did it but, well, I was just discomfited. I wondered whether it had been good for him, if I could have done more. As he continued his rubbing and gentle kisses that question seemed to become unimportant. I pushed a little harder against him, maximizing the contact.

“Hold me tighter,” I said, the first words I had spoken since we had finished up.

“Of course, my love,” he replied, giving me a big squeeze. He kissed my ear and the back of my neck, and I let out a big sigh. “Are you okay, Derpy?” he asked again.

I nodded. “Yeah. I… I think I am.”

“How are you feeling?”

“Fine, I guess. I still need a little time to process things.”

“I understand. Take as much time as you need. You know I have no trouble with waiting.”

“I know.”

The two of us sat there unmoving for a while, his big, strong hooves around me, my protective warm blanket surrounding me. He just held me tight, planting kisses all over my neck.

“I-I’d kinda like to… to-to-to turn around to kiss you too. I’m so, so sorry, but I’m starting to feel afraid again.”

“Of me?”

I felt a tear come down my eye. “I’m sorry!” I said again, starting to shake a little as some tears came down my face. “I’ve done my best to rid myself of the past and what happened, but it’s still affecting me. Even now. I’m scared that when I turn to look I’ll be looking into the cold eyes of Shooting Star. I trust you. I do! I trust you enough to give myself to you and marry you, but now that we’ve done it there’s no going back, and I just feel scared that things are going to end the same way they did with him.

“Please don’t be mad at me! I don’t want to feel this way.” I started feeling disgusted with myself that I STILL couldn’t completely let go. “P-p-please… don’t stop loving me. I’m sorry…”

His only response was to hold me tighter and just continue his gentle kisses. He let out a little laugh. “Oh, Derpy, you little sillyhead. What am I going to do with you? Did you think THAT was going to rattle me? I know those feelings are just temporary. I was expecting you to have some sort of negative reaction when we were done.

“Just keep in mind how much support you really have. I told you six months ago I proposed to you in public on purpose, so I couldn’t escape the consequences if I ever went back on my word to you. If I wasn’t prepared to weather the storm I never would have committed myself to you. And after having our vows witnessed by a princess and having all four alicorns attending do you really think I’d be crazy enough to abandon you? All of Equestria would be after my head.”

He kissed around my ear, saying, “You know, Dinky told me there was something you told her that always makes her feel better when she’s down. She said you told her you love her no matter what happens. Through the good times and bad, when you’re loving and cuddling up, or when you’re yelling and arguing. Even when you don’t want to talk to each other and you’re both at your worst you still love her beneath it all.

“And that’s the way I feel about you, Derpy.” He stopped his gentle kisses and slowly nuzzled his face against my cheek. “When I proposed to you I was determined to take it all the way. Specks of your past are still clinging on to you, weighing your spirit down, but I’ll be there every day to apply some wax and cleaner so you stay shiny and bright. Of course there will be points where we’ll be at our worst, but just like with Dinky we’ll always come back together with some time.

“I understand your fear and pain, and I’m not going anywhere. Short of sleeping with another stallion I don’t think there’s much of anything that would cause a lasting wound to our relationship. So don’t beat yourself up, Derpy. My heart is with you, always and forever, until the end of time. That was my vow to you today, and it didn’t stop being valid just because we’re no longer at the hall.”

I took a few deep breaths. Trust was a tricky thing. I always felt so wishy-washy lately, never knowing if I wanted to head towards it or away from it. I lifted my hoof, putting it on my ring. There was just something relaxing about it, carrying around a symbol of his love I could show the world. He trusted me and understood me better than I did, prepared for my reaction. He never faltered or shrank away from our love, and I knew I had a ways to go to match his level of commitment. The very least I could do was to show him I trusted him too.

I closed my eyes, taking a few more deep breaths, and then I forced myself to turn around toward him. My heart fluttered in that instant as I opened my eyes, hoping that I wouldn’t see my deepest fears come back to haunt me, see that cocky condescending smile looking down on me.

I let out a long deep breath as I gazed into his eyes, seeing the same loving expression I had seen so many times.

“Hello, beautiful,” he said, giving me a peck on the nose.

“Thank goodness,” I said in a croaky voice. I put my hooves around him as well, pulling him close to me as I kissed him on the lips. “Thank goodness.” I sank into his hold, snuggling in close. “You’re really my hero, you know?”

“I know, Derpy,” he said gently, rubbing my back. There was no ego behind his agreement. He just took it in stride. “I’m your hero, here to protect you in your lowest moments. I know I said this out in public, but as you know a public display can also be just a ploy for attention. You’re my one and only, Derpy. I won’t let anyone hurt you as long as I’m alive. I’ll do my best to be a father figure for Dinky, and to make sure you never want for anything. And I don’t just mean material things like food. I mean the important things too, like love and support and being a dear friend. I know it may take years to fully and completely earn your trust and for you to truly leave your self-image of the bullied filly in school behind, but it’s time well spent.”

I felt another stab of pain. “Doctor, I DO trust-”

“Shhh.” He put a hoof on my mouth. “I told you already I understand. We just mated, and I know that has been a sticking point in your fears. Shooting abandoned you at six months, so you assumed I was going to do the same. He left you for the same thing we just did. We’ve been friends for a long time, but we’ve only been a couple for a year. I know you’re going to need more time, and that’s okay. So long as you don’t give up on me again I don’t have a problem being patient. Your hesitance doesn’t bother me, because as more time passes you’ll see with your own eyes that I’m not going to leave you just because I was able to have your body. Like I told you before I do think you’re beautiful, and I love your body, but it’s not what drew me to you.”

He lifted his hoof, putting it on the back of my head and pulling it towards his. Forehead to forehead now he said lightly, “Are you feeling alright now, my darling?”

I looked into his eyes, so close to mine, and I said, “Yes.” Lifting my hoof I continued my usual habit of touching my wedding ring. “You’re here now, with me, because you choose to be. You’re the other half of my heart, and I couldn’t imagine life without you. I don’t think you’ll ever hurt me like Shooting did. You’re so kind and gentle and slow, always making sure I’m comfortable before moving yourself."

I let out a sigh. “I just wish I could be as committed as you are.”

He ruffled my mane. “No more of that, Derpy. No more putting yourself down. I don’t have all the trauma and drama in my past that you do, so it’s only natural that it will take you a little longer than me. So smile for me, Derpy. Let me see that beautiful face light up like the sun.”

I couldn’t help it. I giggled. He was just so easygoing. He never made me feel pressured to do anything, which allowed me to be myself around him. I flashed my teeth at him, then said, “I WILL get there one day. That’s my private vow to you. I can’t do it right now though. Like you said before I’m still scraping off the rust of my bullied fillyhood, but I’m not that same teenager I was back then. I’m a mother of a wonderful girl, and now I’m a wife, the luckiest mare in the world.

“In a way that bit of sadness was good. No day is perfect. That’s why I was on the verge of a panic attack at the reception. I kept waiting for that certain something to go wrong. Now that something bad finally happened I can rest with no worries.” Pulling back a little I yawned. I rubbed my eyes a little, but it didn’t help much. “I’m getting sleepy. Watch over me?”

He put his hooves around me, pulling me closer once more. “Of course, sweetheart.”

“Will you still be here in the morning? I don’t want to start worrying.”

That got me a hard squeeze. “Yes, Derpy, I will. There’s no place else I’d rather be right now than right next to you, making you feel safe as you drift off to sleep.”

I nuzzled his chest a few times before putting my head around his, closing my eyes. “Good. You make a nice pillow. Nice and warm… and comfy.” I let out another big yawn.

“Goodnight, Derpy,” said Doctor Hooves, giving me one last kiss before snuggling in closer.

I could feel him around me, his big strong hooves keeping me safe. I felt so protected, so cozy, snug up against my lover. I wasn’t afraid anymore.

“Goodnight, Doctor,” I said as I closed my eyes, drifting off to sleep in the hooves of my lover, ending the best day of my life.

Author's Note:

Thank you all for reading this story through to the end. I know it's been a long three months, with some long gaps here and there. This story exploded from it's original plan of 3 chapters(ending with Derpy/Dinky resolving their issues), to becoming a romance novel. For my first attempt at romance people really seemed to like it, which makes me happy.

For the curious I DO have a sequel planned for this story in the future, dealing with the married life and Derpy being pregnant, but I have some other projects to work on before I come back to this one.

SUPER HUGE shout out to my girl Crimsion Ink, who has been working tirelessly for me, surprising me with fan art, helping me make up my mind when I'd get stuck on how I wanted things to go, giving me inspiration for new chapters(3 chapters alone were inspired by simple comments she'd leave) This story wouldn't have come out as long as it did without her input. She drew me a TON of fan art for this story, like 20 fully colored, which I still have to place in their appropriate chapters.

Thanks you so much!

Comments ( 60 )

Wow...that was beautiful! lovely ending. true poetry! great romance, it was a wonderful story to follow. I'm so sorry its over now, but all good things come to an end right!:ajsmug: It was a great privilage to draw you the fan art and I am so happy you liked it. I am glad I could help you. It was really fun!:twilightsmile:

A nice happy ending.

hhng!.. so cute!!

5654292 Y'know, I DID realize that after a few chapters, but hey, if Sweetie Belle can race with someone who isn't actually her sister than why couldn't Dinky too? It's an excuse, I know, but I just didn't have a place for Amethyst.:twilightsheepish:

Like I said in the author's note I DO have a sequel planned. I just want to take care of another story first. It focuses on Derpy's pregnancy. I intent to bring Shooting back at some point.

5664539 Are you talking about right after the almost kiss? She was there for that, and he explained to her why he did it. He wanted to make Derpy hate him so she'd get over the feelings she still had for him, so she could move on with her life.

Maybe, just like Derpy, you can't let go of your old image of Shooting Star and accept that he could change, hmm? :ajsmug:



Edit: After a little while something occured to me. Maybe you're mad because you're not sure what the real Shooting is and what he's pretending. Everything Shooting said in the beginning was the real him, because of his changes. Once he see's Derpy start crying after he calls her by his old pet name for her he realizes that's a bad thing, so he plays the part of a jerk to help break her feelings for him. I hope that clears things up if you were confused. He really did become a more humble guy because of Dream Catcher.

5817178 Glad you enjoyed it, considering at first I wasn't even sure if I wanted to add the shipping in and was gonna just have Derpy/Dinky resolve their problems and end the story there.

Like most of my stories it's a rollercoaster of emotions along the way to a good ending. :pinkiehappy:

5818228 only one of yours have made me cry, wonder if this will get me to at all. one things for sure you are defiantly a far better writer then me, I doubt I'll ever improve.

5818410 Don't put yourself down. Don't forget. You got more watchers and views and your stories than mine. :raritywink:

And "didn't cry" doesn't necessarily mean it didn't bring forth any emotions from you, or you wouldn't keep reading the story, would you? :scootangel:

5968232 Yeah, he's a douche. But now that she's "cleared the air" a new stallion will begin to fill in the void. :rainbowkiss:

5968956 And they're only getting feel-ier from here! :rainbowkiss:

But... not always in a good way :unsuresweetie:

6005998 Yes, I was feeling evil that way. :rainbowwild::rainbowdetermined2:

6006177 Even if it was by being a complete and total ass. :rainbowlaugh:

That was a good sad story.

6034473 Wait! :rainbowhuh: How did you go from commenting on chapter 4 to commenting on the final chapter... in 5 minutes? :rainbowderp:

Anyway, now that you're done you should check out this blog. It's all the fan art my friend Crimsion Ink drew for this story.

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/446112/all-the-26-pieces-of-fan-art-crimsion-ink-did-for-my-derpy-fanfic

Skimming through long chapters is something I do since there so many stories to read.

6116866 Something to make your heart soar. My friend here made a lot of fan art for this story, and I posted it in chronological order.

http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/446112/-all-the-26-pieces-of-fan-art-crimsion-ink-did-for-my-derpy-fanfic

6116758 :rainbowlaugh: Fangirl away, dude. :rainbowdetermined2:

Thank you for reading, and I'm glad you loved this story.

My emotions all through this..since I literally can't talk due to the feels!

:ajsmug::fluttercry::pinkiegasp::pinkiehappy::rainbowderp::rainbowhuh::rainbowlaugh::raritycry::raritydespair::scootangel::twilightblush::twilightsmile:

6358676 This was the big turning point for her. Derpy has finally released something that has been plaguing her for a long time, so now she has room to start again. Things are only going to get better for Derpy from her. With the occasional hiccup of course. No mare is perfect. :raritywink:

I'm glad you kept reading to the next chapter so you didn't feel like raging and crying over Shooting and Derpy, but you definitely had the emotional reaction I was hoping for there. :ajsmug:

6536527 Well, I would recommend that you sleep. If you're trying to force concentration you won't remember most of the story when you wake up. The story isn't going anywhere. It'll still be here waiting for you. :derpytongue2:

6536310 Saddest part of the whole story. :fluttershbad:

He actually makes another appearance in the story in the second half of the story. Hee hee. :rainbowwild:

Beautiful.
Very well written.

The emotional baggage Derpy felt and displayed was so accurate and true. It made the reader feel the emotions as the story unfolded. Great stories do this. And this is a great story.

Great job. Thanks for sharing this story with all of us.

6541528 Thank you very much. I believe this one is my most realistic story, as even at the end there's no fairytale ending. No 'happily ever after.' Derpy still has some of that baggage holding her down, despite how much she wants it to not be. But the Doctor is patient and willing to be patient and see her through it, which is exactly the kind of caring attitude she needs to feel okay with not perfect.

6555361

Again, sorry for the late reply. Does that answer satisfy you?

Aw, don't worry about the late reply. I'm the type to comment and then forget about it. And as to your question, yes, yes it does.

6559793 Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I understand now.

6559793 Ah, that makes a lot of sense. I understand now.

6559766 lol I meant why did u ake such a fabulous story without my approval, tis meant to b sort of a joke but I was really excited and happy when finishing this story! Forgive my 'craziness'

6573974 Aww. I'm glad you enjoyed the story. It had a lot of ups and a lot of downs, but it all ended on a sweet note. Thank you for reading.


BEST STORY OF MY LIFE EVER!!!!
:yay::derpytongue2::rainbowkiss::twilightsmile:

6728729 Thank you for the compliment. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :twilightsmile:

FINALLY I FINISHED THIS STor... There are bonus chapters? Whelp I might as well say goodbye to my daw meter forever, cause after this, I don't think it will work anymore... Well either way, amazing book! I hope I see more stories like this from you in the future. Maybe you could do one around Berry's crazy life & alcoholic cider (hint hint). But still, this is the first story if read from you, and I plan to continue reading more of you good work.
Now a word from my sponsors::pinkiehappy::raritydespair::derpytongue2::twilightsmile::trollestia::rainbowkiss::heart:

7274162 More tears are to come, especially in the second chapter, but things start picking up after that. :twilightsmile:

7577036 So Shooting Star is a ZOMBIE? :twilightoops: Because he shows up later on.

7642013 Without spoiling things I can say that Derpy feels very real to me, in that she's a very flawed individual who truly is doing the best she can with what she has. She puts her child first, but neglected herself. She can fly off the handle and be held back by the past. Etc. But though the story may at times paint her as a only hanging on by a thread in terms of sanity she actually lives a fairly normal and calm life. It's just that the story tends to focus on the times when things go wrong. For example, before this chapter she had gone six months with Doctor Hooves with no major incidents.

I'm almost finished with a prequel story that delves deeper into Shooting and Derpy's relationship, and the very bumpy road she traveled to become stable after her parents died. Having to keep such a shameful secret inside, having to lie to everyone who cared for her only increased her sense of shame and guilt, and by the time she'd taken too much and felt she was going to break entirely if she told one more lie she decided she was going to open up to her parents about the truth, was of course the day they had the accident.

If you're interested in it I can give you the link. There are no spoilers for the main story. The only thing that sorta counts is the story opens up with Derpy attempted suicide, which if you're up to chapter 9 you've already read about Derpy telling Dinky the story.

7643862 Yes, she may be a stranger and he's never seen her before, but he still knows he had a daughter with a mare that he could have helped raise if he hadn't been so snobby.

It's a point that comes up in a planned sequel, where Dream Catcher(without Shooting's knowledge) goes to Ponyville to confess the truth and try to arrange a meetinng between Dinky and Shooting because Shooting grew depressed after his meeting with Derpy.

The chapters were added to the bottom of this story initially, but were removed both because it grew a lot longer than I thought, as they initially were just supposed to be some bonus chapters and it was going to wind up story length, and because a few people felt that both Derpy and Dream Catcher were out of character, which I agreed with. So I want to go back, fix up the characters, and put the sequel into it's own story.



Oh, and if Derpy DID get therapy where would the story and drama be? :raritywink:

7813563 And I gotta say back... what would the presence of condoms have anything to do with the issues Derpy is going through?

In the past it was a 'heat of the moment' kinda thing on her part, and Shooting didn't care one way of the other.

In the present it's not a pregnancy scare that's disturbing her peace. Her concern is about being used for sex instead of being seen as a pony, hence why she's so afraid of being alone with him. She fears things ending the same way they did with Shooting.

In terms of the story the next chapter starts the beginning of the climax, where her feelings begin to get resolved, she confronts the past, and begins to make peace with herself, so I think you'll enjoy it more.

7815875 I don't think so. If you go into the next chapter you see that brief spot of weakness disappear right at the start and she comes back stronger than ever. It's not filler if it serves a story purpose, and for Derpy it's about closing the door on the past.

Those emotions that resurfaced help her see she hasn't completely gotten over him, She knew she couldn't be the Doctor's one and only if somewhere in the back of her mind she was thinking "What if?" so she went to tell him off the way she couldn't in the past and to see if he was still the same. Her brief weakness only makes her more determined to do right by the Doctor, and two chapters from now it's what makes her finally burn that old prom photo.

I'm not sure if you're gonna stick around, as it feels like you're tiring of the story, but you've come this far so maybe you will. There's only one last bit of drama, where Derpy tells the Doctor about the near kiss, and he gets understandably upset, but from there it's all smooth sailing.

7959026 Shooting Star. :raritywink:

Yeah, Shooting was a bit of a dirtbag. There's a prequel fic to this if you're interested. It's called Rough Beginnings. It covers their relationship in a little more detail, and shows her life for the first few years of Dinky's life.

Gotta warn you, though, it's a little depressing. Besides Shooting dumping her it also shows how Derpy reacted when her parents died. If you really get into the story you'll feel a lot like Derpy, that Dinky is the light that keeps you going through it because she's so innocent and happy.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/330517/rough-beginnings

FInally reached the end. This was amazing :D

While the plot did seem a little obvious at points, it was still a good read.

I’m gonna go read your other stuff now. See you there! ;)w

8440123
Yeah, the whole point of her going to see him was to let that part of her past go so she could fully commit to Doctor Hooves. At first it may seem like unnecessary drama, but it did allow Derpy to finally move on for real.

Thanks for reading through to the end. I'm glad you enjoyed the journey.

I’m gonna go read your other stuff now. See you there! ;)w

Well, what sort of stuff are you into or looking for? Slice of life, action, drama, cuteness? If you like Pinkie Pie and adorableness then go for "Pinkie's first friend" and "How a Pie became a Cake." The first is about how Pinkie met Fluttershy, and the second is about how filly Pinkie came to live with the Cakes.

And thus this chapter of Derpy's life comes to a close, with a new one just beginning:rainbowdetermined2:!

9130646
I was still following the story, I just had a few outside things I needed to take care of:raritywink:.

9130138
https://www.fimfiction.net/blog/446112/all-the-27-pieces-of-fan-art-crimsion-ink-did-for-my-derpy-fanfic

FANART TIIIIIIIME!

My friend surprised me by dumping a TON of fanart for this story. 27 of them :rainbowderp:. I put them all in order. I think you'll get a real kick out of 17 and 20. (That's Doctor Hooves and his makeover, and Derpy coming home to see it)

My personal favorite of the collection is 26, which is them dancing at the reception.

There is a prequel to this, Rough Beginnings, which shows Derpy's relationship with Shooting and the aftermath of his dumping her in more detail, but you probably won't like it as much as this considering it's pretty heavy. Derpy can hardly catch a break, and Dinky is basically the only thing that keeps her going throughout. It deals with things like her near abortion, her attempted suicide, the loss of her parents, and more of Shooting being a jerk than the main story.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from reading it if you're interested, but I'm just warning you that it's not a very happy story. It does have a happy ending, but Derpy goes through so much to get there.

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/330517/rough-beginnings

Here's the link, if you're curious.

Now I'm just thinking... what if this Derpy ran into Discorded (W)Hooves? Ouch?

9185692
I've only read a little bit of that series, but it sure would make a mess of things.

9187510
Yeah, I'm not really familiar with it myself(mostly because it's longer than the Bible at this point), but I love the concept.
...
Pretty please with a cherry on top?

Login or register to comment