• Published 14th Jan 2015
  • 1,292 Views, 52 Comments

A Tale of two Fillies - Skyeheart



In a fit of infatuation, Spike accidently set himself up on two 'dates' on Hearts and Hooves day. What is he going to do?! Set in Manehattanverse.

  • ...
1
 52
 1,292

Act 6: Parting is such sweet sorrow

A large yawn escaped Spike's mouth as the smell of antiseptic and gauze overcame his sense of smell. He pulled his eyelids open to find himself lying on a cot in a ward of the Manehattan general hospital. His head ached like crazy and his body was all pins and needles.

The latter he soon figured was obvious to the fact that he still in his restraining garments.

"Well, well, well. Look who's done hibernating."

Spike raised his head to see Honey sitting on a chair across from the cot.

"Figures you wake up during my shift, guess I'm paying Trixie five bits after I fetch her and the rest."

"Ugnh, how long was I out?" Spike blearily asked as she approached with a small smile.

"Not that bad, two days. According to Twilight, you burned out like a candle that had hit its stump once your potion powers went kaput. Apparently using ten times your ability makes you use ten times your energy." She took a tray loaded with topaz and opal from the table next to the patient and placed it on his lap. "Speaking of, you're probably starving. So eat up while I get everypony together."

Spike didn't need to told twice to chow down with a plate that scrumptious before him. Claws free, he planted his face deep into the gems while Honey left the room with a small giggle.

He was only five seconds into his meal when a voice piped up. "I'm glad you find the selection most satisfying."

Spike poke his head out to see the two mares he most and least wanted to see at the same time. "R-rarity? O-oct-octavia?" he choked.

"Well, who else did you think provided the gems, little Spikey?" Rarity said as she walked up to the side of his cot. "How fortuitous for us that you had woken up just as we were coming to relieve Daring."

Spike swallowed a huge lump in his throat, some of it from the gems. "Uh, uh..." He could start to hear the soap opera music playing in his ears. "Ladies...you see..."

"Spike," Octavia raised a hoof. "Twilight told us everything. The rest she couldn't cover, we put two and two together there."

"Really now Spikey," Rarity folded her hooves across the mattress. "If you had overbooked your schedule, you should have told at least one of us. I would have understood. I certainly wouldn't have wanted you to overwork your adorable little self by running around ragged just for me!"

"As would I," Octavia agreed. "If you turn left as you move right, you'll soon find yourself walking backwards despite looking ahead."

Spike looked down and sighed. "I'm sorry girls. I just...I knew how important both things were to you two and...I didn't want to let either of you down."

"Spike, you're far more important to us than any little task we want help with." Octavia reached over and gave him a light squeeze as he felt his face get warmer. "I would have canceled my practice in a heartbeat for your sake."

"And it wouldn't have been the worst possible thing if I had to do my dresses all on my own that day," Rarity added. "Speaking of, I did put off the showcasing until you came to."

"Aw, thanks. It's does feel kinda silly now, looking back on it," Spike said sheepishly. "I'm glad there's no hard feelings though."

"Maybe, maybe not." Octavia smirked as the door to the room opened. "There is still one more pony you haven't apologized to yet."

Spike's sheepish grin turned into a nervous smile as he saw the rest of the gang walk in, and a certain peeved purple pony was marching at the head.

"What do you have to say for yourself, mister?" she said, towering over him with her muzzle nearing touching.

"Ehhh...good news Twilight! I have your next friendship report ready to write!"


Twilight sat off to the side in her her new midnight blue gala dress trimmed with dazzling stars and sky blue shoes and earpiece to match, watching her friends parade the catwalk in Rarity's studio in their respective outfits.

Blossomforth pranced forth on tulip-like shoes in a gown with layers that peeled back like the petals of a flower, combined with a collar and earring of pink hyacinths to with it, she herself seemed to look like a spring flower.

Honey's dress seemed similar to her jacket up top, but her head fashioned a stylish sports cap, while the skirt was styled in a texture that almost resembled jungle palm fronds, and the bright green leaf saddle around the midriff made it almost look as if she were carrying a traveler's knapsack.

Octavia bore a slender mix of white, purple, and black Chineigh silk, with just a hint of its eastern style mixed in. The trimmings and lace curved to make beautiful patterns similar to musical clefs, while the black ribbon around the flanks easily distinguished the ruffles flowing downward like a glissando.

Trixie's dress seemed much like her cape, but longer, more flowing, and with more majestic stars and swirls. A high rise bejeweled collar held by an aquamarine broach, along with pearl stockings and long amethyst slippers gave the feel of starry midnight sky, along with her trademark hat that now sported a golden comet-like strip of ribbon around it.

Orange Sherbet's was perhaps the most traditional in design. Smooth creamy colors of orange adorned with bronze cuffs and jasper accents in a Victorian theme, complete with pearl necklace and earrings made for an older beauty, both rich and simple.

As Rarity floated over Spike's brand new tux, which he accepted with glee, Twilight pulled out her quill and parchment and began to write.

Dear Princess Celestia,

This week my assistant Spike learned that experimental protocols exist for a reason, and when you fail to follow directions, you just may end up hurting somepony...or a few dozen.

But more importantly, I learned through his experience that you can't always do everything a friend asks you to do. Whether it's your own thing, or some other commitment, sometimes you just have to turn down an invitation. But that's okay, a true friend knows you have your own life to live, and will gladly take an occasional declination with no worries at all. There are some things, after all, they won't have time for you. And just because you miss out being with them one time doesn't make you any less of a friend than you already are.

P.S. I'm afraid my thesis project has been...back-burnered as they say for the time being. Please notify the professors at Canterlot University that talent enhancement is a dead end in the field of magical study.

Your faithful student,
Twilight Sparkle


"Really?! You could get me a contestant's spot in next year's Manehattan Fashion Week?!" Rarity all but screamed as she stood at the steps of the station while her mountain of bags was being hauled to the luggage car by three stallions.

"But of course, dearie," Sherbet affirmed with a smile. "After seeing such exceptional work with our gala dresses, I could easily use them as a sample showcase for recommendation. It would be my pleasure."

Rarity squealed in delight as she squeezed Sherbet tightly. "Oh, Auntie, you truly are a gem! Oh, I can hardly wait to see you again! *gasp* Goodness me! I only have eight months to plan my line up! And my wardrobe! And my socialite outreach! I'd have to get started the minute I get back to Ponyville! Ta-ta, darlings! Do keep busy!"

As she rushed to her cabin following the third whistle of her train, Trixie turned her heads to the others. "Only eight months to plan?"

"She's like the Twilight of clothes," Honey joked, eliciting a couple of giggles and a 'Hey!' from their magic prodigy.

"Now, Spike, when Rarity does come back, I hope you keep your wits about you and avoid a repeat of this week's disaster," Twilight lectured him on her back as they all walked away from the station.

"No worries about that Twi," Spike said with a waved claw. "I certainly learned my lesson today. From now on, I'm a one pony dragon! Never again will I let my heart wander. Besides..." he glanced at Octavia out of the corner of his eyes, "in a group like this, there's just not enough of me to go around."

"Well yeah! I mean it's not like there's some mystical thing that can magically duplicate yourself somewhere out there," Blossomforth laughed.

















"I mean, could you imagine the kind of trouble that could happen if somepony had something like that at their disposal?"

Comments ( 6 )

Wow, Octy's dress was pretty stunning.

"No worries about that Twi," Spike said with a waved claw. "I certainly learned my lesson today. From now on, I'm a one pony dragon! Never again will I let my heart wander."

[youtube=IqmRevK0JQQ]

:moustache: But wait a minute...

*Ember flies overhead coincidentally*

:moustache: What's her name? I just gotta know...

Okay this was funny and a good story. The moral and conflict and the outcome was perhaps predictable as this format has been used countless times in the media, the character execution was done well. :twilightsmile:

Nice ending to this story. Hope to see more from the Manehattanverse in the future.

Very nice ending. :)

My only complaint about this story is that it got to the concept before I could offer my version. After I read Ticket Holder, my mind was already active about what could be done, specifically in making the Gala dresses. My idea would've had Suri Palomare as the dressmaker. This would've been before she was revealed to be a fraud of course, but I would've found a way to make her the bad guy.

On the other hand, I know for a fact that my idea wouldn't have been as good as this. So I should be glad that I didn't get to it first.

Login or register to comment