• Published 22nd Nov 2014
  • 4,596 Views, 248 Comments

Emerald Fires - FolkloreBrony



An ancient power returns to the land of Equestria, propelling Twilight and her friends into a world more dangerous than ever before.

  • ...
11
 248
 4,596

Chapter 7-The Council of Harmony

Author's Note:

Short, I know. Didn't have many ideas at the time of writing this because of school, so I'll re-edit it sometime in the future

Location of Volcana may be contradictory to Equestrian canon landscape. I wasn't able to find an accurate map of this world when I wrote this, so there may be some differences.

////
Chapter 7-The Council of Harmony
////
The sun had set on the town of Ponyville as a murmur arose from the throne room of Twilight's castle. One need only to walk down its long hall and turn into that room to find five friends who were in the middle of a heated debate. Their voices echoed throughout the large auditorium, ringing off of the crystal lined walls. Six thrones rose from the floor around a smooth, circular table, its surface reflected the faces of the ponies as they discussed the situation at hand. Currently, it was in a stalemate, due mostly to a rather ridiculous opinion currently in question.

“He's obviously some kind of spy. I bet he's working with Tirek somehow.” Rainbow Dash exclaimed, her wings flaring up as she sat up from her seat.

“An' how exactly would he do that, Rainbow? Tirek's locked back up in Tartarus.” Applejack pointed out, tipping her hat back with a skeptical look on her face.

“I don't know. Telepathy?” she offered as an explanation.

“Oh, here we go.” Rarity grimmest, slumping her head into her hoof while she sat in her stone chair.

This debate had gone on since before Twilight returned from Rarity's Boutique. Everyone seemed to have their own theory on this new stallion, and likewise, they couldn't seem to agree on anything. It was an endless squabble of ideas and opinions, and there certainly wasn't any sign of an end anytime soon.

“Ah, horsefeathers. Fluttershy, what do you think?” Applejack tilted her head to the side, looking at the pegasus with a look of curiosity.

“I don't know. He seems nice, but at the same time sad,” she looked down at herself, “He looked heartbroken to me.”

“Sad? What are you talking about?” Rainbow huffed, looking at her with a sneer, “Hotheaded is more like it if you ask me! He attacked us for no reason.”

“That's not true, Rainbow Dash!” Flutter defended, “He told us not to bother him in the temple, and we ignored his warning. AND, it wouldn't surprise me if that was why he got so sick. If Twilight hadn't tried to take Spike away, none of that would have happened.”

“Fluttershy's got a point there, Rainbow,” Applejack commented, leaving the cyan pony to look at her, “I don't like what he did any more than you do, but ya gotta understand his point of view. I can't imagine myself hurting another pony, but I've never been trapped in stone for thousands of years, either. If anyone of us was put in the same position that he was, I doubt we'd act any different. Especially if somethin' like could potentially kill us.”

"Well I for one find him rather charming. Sure he's rough around the edges, but once he opens up a little he's a complete gentlecolt." Rarity stated proudly, her eyes glossing over as she let out a sigh, "Though I must admit, something is indeed bothering him."

“He's certainly not the party type.” Pinkie Pie said with a frown, definitely feeling disappointed with the fact.

“Pinkie, I don't think he's interested in any of yer parties.” Applejack said flatly.

“That's what I just said, Dah.” Pinkie rolled her eyes, “I'm gonna have to go out with everything I have to get his frown turned upside down into a smile! He wouldn't even laugh at my pub jokes.”

“Pinkie Pie, I'm amazed at you! Do you really think it's going to give him a good impression of you by doing that? You've told me those jokes, and they're a tad bit vulgar.” Rarity commented, only for Pinkie to stare at her.

“Yeah, but they're funny.”

“Well...I can't argue with that.” Rarity admitted, beginning to lightly chuckle as she recited one of them in her head.

Fluttershy peeked her eye towards Rarity, tilting her head as she rose a question, "How do you think Twilight is handling this?"

Rarity let out a moan, "That, I can't be for sure. The two really don't get along with each other by my observations. You really can't blame Twilight for being mad at him, but still..."

Just then, the doors to the throne room burst open, as Twilight stormed into their presence in a rage. She began to mumble to herself, which was typical of her when she was conflicted with an issue, but what was not usual was the steam coming off of her body, hot enough that none of them dared to speak a word until she sat down, only to wear a scowl.

"Ah! Twilight dear, we just talking about you!" Rarity rose from her throne smiling, only to be ignored by the mare. Twilight had her gaze fixed upon the table, bringing her hooves together in a contemplative gesture.

“Ahh, Twilight? You alright over there?” Applejack asked, a little unnerved.

“Oh, I'm FINE, Applejack. I'm absolutely thrilled. Do you perhaps have any further questions that have an obvious answer? No? Good!” she spat out sarcastically, earning an unsettled glare from the farmer, arched eyebrows and concerned looks appearing on her friends.

“Well, did you get to talk to Spike?” I hope there wasn't any trouble.” Rarity said innocently.

“Trouble? Who said there was any trouble?!” Twilight shouted, clearly disturbed by something, “Nopony said there was ANYTHING wrong, Rarity. And nothing DID go wrong, OKAY!?”

“Twilight, there is absolutely no reason to get angry, especially with your friends.” Rarity said firmly, taking a stand to calm her friend, even start a heated argument if necessary. Twilight, however, just stared at the girl, her expression softening to somewhat of a sad look, which Rarity caught onto immediately. “What happened?”

“I'm sorry, I shouldn't be like this.” Twilight admitted, though she didn't know exactly what to say to express herself, “ I-I don't know how to explain it. Spike's fine but, at the same time he's not."

"You're not making much sense, darling." Rarity stated, growing rather concerned along with the rest of the girls.

Twilight quivered, shaking a little in her seat, "Novis...Novis DID something to him. Something horrible perhaps, I don't know.”

“What did he do?” Rarity asked.

“He-”

“He has done nothing more than grant a “friend's” wish.”

They were all startled as their heads swung back behind themselves to face Novis who had silently entered into the room. He stood quiet and alone and was content to stay in his corner, but he decided to walk among them, regardless of the mixed emotions that he was entering.

"Wish? What are you talking about?" Rarity asked, craning her head around the throne to look at him.

“What your friend saw was an Arthulm. A type of transformation magic, quite painful,” he started, walking into the middle of the thrones, where he touched the map laying there as if he knew how it worked, which it responded by falling away back into the floor from which it came, “From one form to the next, his body is reforming itself into something new.”

“What are you saying?”

“I'm saying that he's going through a metamorphosis. Like...” he paused, staring at Fluttershy as an inspired grin spread over his face, “...a butterfly, waiting to be released from its chrysalis. It shouldn't be long now, judging by how far he's already gone.”

Everyone sat as still as possible, staring at him while they thought on the things that he said. It disturbed them that he spoke so calmly about this as if it were, in fact, natural. Twilight leaned forwards and sighed, now feeling the urge to scream more than ever. But restrained herself, which was a feat in its own.

“What exactly is he turning into?” She asked, hoping that the answer would be nothing unnatural.

Novis shrugged his shoulders, “I can't be certain, but if I were to guess, I would say that he's being transformed into a Kiren.”

“A...what?” a murmur began to form amongst the group, each trying to grasp what was being said. That word was all but unfamiliar to them, and as they sat there in wonder, Novis raised an eyebrow, confused by their confused whispering, deciding to elaborate.

“A kiren. A creature both pony and dragon, yet neither. A stepping stone between species, as it were. They are renowned for both their cunning and their strength. Their magic, though slow to mature, when ripened is second only to an Alicorn's.”

The room was silent. This was truly a shock to everyone, especially Twilight. Spike? More powerful than a Unicorn? It was inconceivable. Twilight couldn't imagine Spike being anything more than a lovable baby dragon. What would a kiren even look like? Would he look hideous, like a freak? Or would he be a strong, handsome stallion? Was that even the correct thing to call a male Kiren? It was too much to go over at one time, too many questions to be asked at one time.

Novis stared at them, a frown forming on his face, "What's wrong with you, haven't you ever heard of a kirin before?"

"As a matter of fact no, we haven't," Twilight stated flatly, Novis' heart skipping a beat.

"What?" he said, hiding his emotions.

"I'm afraid that such things don't exist in Equestria. As a matter of fact, I doubt they exist anywhere." Twilight informed him, those words striking his mind like a bolt of lightning.

Novis fell silent. None of them had survived to the modern day. He stood there in thought, hold back to keep calm, if only for the moment.

“How long? How long until the transformation is complete?” Rarity spoke up, breaking the silence.

“Twenty days. Maybe less,” he stated, looking down at his hooves. Fluttershy eyed him thoughtfully for a moment, knowing something was bothering him, though she decided not to press it.

“And is there anything you can do to stop it?” Twilight asked.

Novis sighed, “No. I didn't design the spell, nor can I counter it. What has happened is his own doing. He will have to endure the change.”

And once again, silence fell upon the room. Novis shifted where he stood, moving his head back and forth as though he didn't know what to do with himself. The girls looked at each other, each drawing up their opinions on this. This was an unknown, and it frightened them. Novis was lost in thought, watching them as they exchanged looks before deciding to speak up, testing the waters.

“Well, if I've answered all of your questions, I'd like to get started on my way.” Novis began to turn, fully intent on leaving Ponyville forever.

“No.”

Novis stopped at the doors, slowly turning his head around to gaze upon them, “What?” he hissed, frustration beginning to spread over his face.

Twilight sat upon her throne, “You will stay here for the remainder of Spike's transformation, however long that takes to go through. Once that is over, you may go.”

“But you said I could leave now!” Novis's voice echoed loudly through the room, feeling betrayed, “You promised to let me go!”

“Twilight, maybe we should-” Rarity started, only to be hushed by a wave of Twilight's hoof.

“That was before I knew the full extent of the damage caused. I'm sorry Novis, but that is how it has to be.” He stared at her with a scowl, one that she returned gladly, "That's an order."

Novis growled. To think she had the gall to order him around like he was some underling. It was insulting, he felt lied to, it was as if they expected HIM to fix this. His anger now bowling, Novis' hoof lighting up with his magic. The girl because startled by the display, taking defensive stances, not knowing what to expect. As he turned, he spotted a stand with a marble image of Starswirl the Bearded's likeness sitting on it. Pulling his hoof back, he brought it forward into the statue and destroyed it, the magic in his hoof shattering the stone and the stand with it. He then stormed out of the room, leaving them to listen to the violent screams and curses that he spoke as he made his way down the long hall of the castle.

“Damn.” Applejack said, her mouth a gap.

“Twilight, are you sure you really want him staying here?” Rainbow Dash choked, surprised by his strength.

Twilight sighed, “No, I don't. But he seems to know what he's talking about. If anypony can help Spike through this, it's him.”

The group continued to discuss matters for the next hour, going over everything that they had learned, but soon the hours began to grow late. The sun would soon set, and everyone had things to do at home. One by one they left, until only Twilight remained. She stayed sitting on her throne for a while, before an idea came into her head, leaving the throne room to return to her bedchambers, closing the doors behind her.

The room sat in a darken silence, alone and cold with no one to warm its vacancy. But silence would not be the dominate for long, as the table began to reform into the room. The map grew into its form, the mountains rising and the lakes sinking. Trees grew, buildings became visible, and the borders of the north became focused.

And it was there, in the volcanic mountain ranges of the north, that a glowing red beckon shined in the darkness of the room.
////
The halls were adorned in the moonlight as Twilight strolled about the halls of her castle, lost in thought. Her time living alone in Canterlot had ingrained in the mare a need for self-company, to take a moment to get away from everyone else and be left alone to think. Currently, she was trying to work through her stress, hoping to relax from the current situation that was torturing her.

And yet she still felt alone. It had been so long since she had been able to talk to Spike face to face, but seeing him like that was too much for her to bear. She felt angry, panic, confused, and she didn't know where to turn.

And then there was Novis. For all her ferocity she hated him. Hated him and what he had done. Even if he claimed that nothing that had happened was in anyway personal or with intent, she insisted to put the blame on him. She knew that it wasn't necessarily fair, but she didn't care. She was upset, and she needed to direct that anger at someone.

Twilight made her way to the balcony of the third floor looking down at the foyer of the castle below. Had she not heard the clanking of glass, she may not have looked down far enough to see Novis, sprawled across the floor leaning against the wall. slurred and belched words fell from his lips, kissing on the bottle of cider he had obtained earlier that day. Twilight stayed to the shadows of the darkened castle, going unnoticed as she watched him with a look of disgust. She watched him down his liquor, then stepped aside, walking upstairs towards her room.

What wasn't noticed by Twilight, however, was the dagger which he held off to his side. Novis breathed heavily, picking it up in his hoof as he eyed it vigorously, studying its edges with a sharp look. The blade was ordained with a simple blue jewel, reflecting in the firelight. Trembling he slowly brought it to his neck, pressing it against his skin. He breath became heavier, clenching his eyes shut as he dared to press it harder, just a little, let it slide. The cold metal brushed against his flesh, threatening to finish the job.

And then he relaxed, lifting the dagger from his throat, a small cut left behind as he cried. He body visibly shook as he let loose, bending over and curling into a ball, tears falling from his cheeks as the blade fell to the floor, echoing throughout the chamber.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry..." he whispered feebly, silently weeping alone.
////
Volcana-Somewhere Near the Crystal/Equestrian Boarder
////
The cold night sky was filled with wisping clouds that cut across the atmosphere above the rocky landscape. The moon was hanging in the sky, illuminating the world in its soft light. Few trees grew in this place, but the ones that did were tall and black with age, growing deep within a valley filled with ash below the rocky slope. In the distance, a mountain range spread across the entire northeastern horizon, smoke rising from their fiery summits.

It was here that a large watchtower had been built by the Equestrian Government long ago, set upon the side of a mountain as the first frontline in the event of danger from the North. A stairway that had been carved into the rock connected the tower to a pare of barracks and a recreation hall fifty feet below, where it had been set up to replace the keep that had once stood there but had fallen in war's past. Of course, it wasn't well manned. After all, it WAS a time of peace, and a fully operational force wasn't a priority. So a facility that could hold five-hundred soldiers, had been assigned to only twenty-five to handle it's required functions.

At this hour the soldiers were congregated in the recreation hall, the building filled with radio music and the smoke of cigars. A group of ponies stood around a pool table, watching on as two of their comrades clashed against the other in a game.

Of course, a minor misunderstanding of the rules soon turned into a full-fledged fight, hooves flying and kicking about, up until the captain of the base came in and broke it up. He was a shrewd officer and would have none of this foolishness. Grabbing hold of one of the soldiers, a young Unicorn who was notorious for starting these things, he threw him out with a barked order to stand watch in the tower above.

The young guard grumbled to himself as he slowly walked up the stairs. This happened on several occasions, enough that he knew how this would play out. He would be spending the night in this watchtower, and would then be scolded in the morning to straighten up his act. It was a speech he had heard many times. But what could the captain do, lock him in the stockade? Send him to some distant, pointless hell-hole out in the middle of nowhere? There were too few soldiers in the base to afford to lock him up, and after all, he was already assigned to that hell-hole.

Finally reaching the top, the stallion made his way to the balcony, looking out into the valley below. It was certainly a beautiful night, that was at least a blessing. The guard pulled out a cigar and a box of matches, with the full intention of lighting one for some relief. He brought the lit match to his mouth but was disheartened as it's light was blown out by a sudden updraft in the wind. He quickly lit another one, only for the same thing to happen again. He looked out into the valley, having to cover his face to shield it from the rising heat of the wind, looking out as the trees were swayed back against the might of the draft. It wasn't long before he realized exactly what was happening.

“Oh, no,” he said as he quickly ran to the other side to where a large bell stood, grabbing onto the rope at its side to ring it as he shouted down below.

“EVERYPONY TO THEIR POST, NOW! GET OUT OF THE BARR-!!!” was all he was able to call before he screamed out in agony as a plume of fire slammed into the side of the tower, knocking down the stones and ringing the faint dong of the bell that crashed into the mountain. The barracks were soon to follow, no one having time to escape as the buildings were consumed in the orange licks of flame. Everything was burning, everything was destroyed, and out of the shadows of the night, illuminated only by the light of the flames, a form moved to behold the desolation, the darkened body of a creature standing erect surveying all that it had accomplished, and laughed with a evil, dark self-pleasure.
////