• Published 18th Nov 2014
  • 3,077 Views, 14 Comments

More Than Friendship? - Ribe_FireRain



Hearths Warming has come, and for a certain couple of friends, things turn out to be more than friendship.

  • ...
6
 14
 3,077

More Than Friendship?

Author's Note:

Just a one shot. Idea came to me, here it is. Hope you like. <3 :3
===================================================
FireRain (RainFire)

More Than Friendship?

Written by FireRain

*** *** ***

It was winter in Equestria and snow was falling, beautiful, crystal white flakes in the air. The land was covered with a thick layer of the frosty-white substance. It was a time when ponies and fillies played in the snow, enjoying the temporary cold-season. Rainbow was even enjoying the weather. Hearths Warming was her favourite season, but it could be cold at times, especially at the altitudes she likes flying at.

She was heading to sugarcube corner to buy some pastries for herself, and upon landing, she wasted no time in getting inside and out of the cold. Inside the shop was warm, and she guessed that was reason enough for it being as packed as it was. As usual, Pinkie Pie was at her place behind the counter, selling the delectable treats to customers. Most pony's who lived in Ponyville knew how good of a baker Pinkie was, and just on this occasion, she would always make candy canes, all of different colours and flavours, some being a creation of her own.

The shop was decorated, too. Streamers and balloons that fit the theme of the season were organized and displayed all around. Even a Christmas tree stood in the corner of the shop. Rainbow admired the work and effort Pinkie had gone through to spruce the place up, and upon seeing that now was her chance to buy something, she approached the cashier's desk, where she was immediately greeted by her friend.

''Heya, Dashie! What's up?'' Pinkie waved to her friend, grinning widely. ''Can I getcha anything?''

''Hey, Pinkie. Got any specials on for the season?'' Rainbow asked hopefully, to which Pinkie's face lit up in an instant.

''Oh, do I ever! I was making some new candy cane flavours to sell in the shop, and when I thought of you, I was wondering what all the flavours of the rainbow would taste like all together, so I made some and their super-duper-sugartastically good! Here, try one.''

Pinkie took a box out from under the counter labelled 'Rainbow Canes' and handed Rainbow one, whom accepted it, moments later giving it a single lick, her face lightening up at all the flavours of strawberry and blueberry and orange washing over her tongue. It tasted heavenly, and when Pinkie caught her look, she smiled approvingly.

''I knew you'd like 'em, Rainbow. I think they were pretty good, too. Tell you what, why don't you take a box? And since its Hearths Warming, I'll let you take some free of charge.'' Rainbow was about to object to the generous offer, but Pinkie simply waved her off with a hoof, knowing what she would say. ''No, no. No buts, consider it a present from me. You are a friend of mine, after all.''

''Thanks, Pinkie. I'll make it up to you later, okay? I gotta go now, though. I'll see you around.'' Rainbow waved farewell to her friend as she left, the cold almost instantly taking over her warm figure. She took to the skies with the box of candy on her back, heading towards an old friend's house - Fluttershy's house. She could feel nervousness slither along her cold frame, making her worry a little. Each year, she would always think of asking her something she wanted to say for years, but couldn't bring herself to do so.
She had no idea if she felt the same way or if she'd say no. But more of all, would it create any weirdness between them? Or, worse, destroy their friendship? The very thought of such a thing made Rainbow's insides churn.

She steeled herself as she neared her friend's house, eventually stopping at the door. Being really close to each other, they spent every Hearths Warming together, like any good friends would. Fluttershy always knew how to have a good time and Rainbow could actually be herself around her. Rainbow would insist that they go to her house for the occasion, but Fluttershy would always be the passive one. In truth, Rainbow didn't see it as being fair, but she knew that was just Fluttershy sometimes.

She knocked gently on the door three times with a hoof, soon hearing that sweet-sounding voice that belonged to Fluttershy, telling her to come in. Smiling, Rainbow opened the door and walked into the inviting warmth of her friend's house. Closing the door behind her, she approached Fluttershy whom was sat on the couch, a book in her hooves. Rainbow sat next to her, smiling at her.

''You've been reading that for a while now, Fluttershy.'' Is all she said as she saw Fluttershy smile warmly back at her, the kind that made Rainbow's heart melt.

''Actually, I'm rereading it. I just love it so much! And I know how much you like to read, too, Dash.'' She giggled at the embarrassed blush that came to Rainbow's face.

''Yeah, yeah. I've read pretty much every Daring Do book, but come on. Those stories are undeniably awesome! How can I not read em?'' She smiled again at Fluttershy, whose smile mirrored her own. Rainbow loved that smile more than anything. Whenever she did it, she just looked so cute. She wished that she could give her a kiss and confess her feelings, but she didn't want to rush things, knowing what Fluttershy might think. What others would think if word got out.
Fluttershy noticed the box beside Rainbow, eyeing the label that read 'Rainbow Canes'. Curious, she looked back to Dash's magenta eyes.

''So, you've been to Sugarcube Corner?'' Fluttershy asked, motioning to the box with her eyes. Rainbow followed her gaze, landing on the box full of candy canes.

''Um...yeah. Pinkie made a new flavour of candy cane, and I thought maybe you'd wanna try one? They taste pretty good, too. See what you think.'' Rainbow opened the lid and took out a candy cane in the colours of the rainbow. Handing it to Fluttershy, she watched as she inspected it as if wondering what flavour it was. She gave it a curious lick, lips curling into a smile at the taste of mixed fruit, all parts of the rainbow. Strawberry, orange, blueberry, banana...pure heaven!

''W-W-Wow...they are pretty good.'' Fluttershy admitted, smiling to herself. Rainbow moved closer, to the point where her side was nearly touching Fluttershy's. Fluttershy looked a little confused at first, wondering what Rainbow was doing. Slowly, she opened her wing, pulling out some kind of book. Upon closer inspection, Fluttershy noticed it was a scrapbook. Rainbow opened it, showing her the pictures of their younger years together. The first was of them two as kids, hugging friendlily and smiling. They must have been like four.

They looked through it for a good few hours, and shared giggles and a couple stories of those times, remembering them like they happened not long ago. At some point, they must have fallen asleep whilst looking through the book, snoring softly as they lay slumped against each other. Yawning silently, Rainbow cracked open her eye, seeing Fluttershy with her hooves around her barrel, holding her loosely. She smiled at her as she slept. A blush ignited her cheeks as she leaned forward, softly rubbing a cheek into Fluttershy's, enjoying that soft feeling. She had no idea how long it lasted, but when she moved back, she saw that Fluttershy was smiling in her sleep, presumably from the nice feeling of Dash's cheek against her own.

Fluttershy shuffled softly, cuddling Rainbow slightly tighter as she pulled her closer as if she were a teddy bear. Rainbow could feel her warm breath as she exhaled in short, soft breaths. Not wanting to wake her, as carefully as she could, Rainbow tried to wriggle herself from Fluttershy's grasp. Getting her hoof free, she gently tried to pry Fluttershy's wanting-hooves off of her barrel, causing her to grunt as she slept. Pulling it free with little effort, Rainbow sighed quietly in relief.

Turning her attention to the scrapbook she brought earlier, she looked at the picture taped to the back. It was of her and Fluttershy hugging closely with grins on their faces. Below the picture, written on the border was two best friends forever. She giggled softly at it. She looked outside, seeing it had gotten dark outside, snowing heavily. She panicked a little when she realized she hadn't been back to see Pinkie like she said she would! She turned her head back to Fluttershy whom gave a nearly silent yawn and looked up at her with sleepy eyes.

''Rainbow? What're you doing? Is everything okay?'' She asked, slowly climbing off the couch and approaching Rainbow.

''Yeah, everything's fine. Its just that I promised Pinkie I'd be back to see her about the candy canes. Guess I can wait until morning though. It's getting late, Fluttershy. I guess I should be getting home.''

''Oh.'' Fluttershy sounded disappointed, averting her gaze to the floor as she slowly pawed at it in an awkward manner.

''Fluttershy?'' Rainbow cocked her head to the side, Fluttershy looking back into her eyes.

''I-Its just that...it's snowing outside...'' She motioned towards the window, watching the heavy flakes fall.

''Huh? It's no big deal, Fluttershy, a little snow won't stop me.''

Rainbow turned, hugging Fluttershy goodbye before she made for the door, about to open it when she was stopped by Fluttershy.

''Wait! Rainbow, don't go. Can't you stay with me...? Please?''

Rainbow raised a brow, slowly retracting her hoof from the door handle, staring back at her life-long friend. She even noticed a small blush on her cheeks.

''I mean...if it's not any trouble...but its just that I'm all alone here. I don't like being alone, Dashie.'' Her voice almost sounded desperate, a hint of loneliness lingering within it. Rainbow almost seemed confused by her sudden behaviour and her desire to keep her close to her. Rainbow came face to face with Fluttershy, looking into her eyes before hugging her softly, whispering into her ear.

''Okay. I'll stay. For you.''

Fluttershy hugged her back, thanking her.

''Oh, thank you, Rainbow. But...''

''But?''

Rainbow moved from Fluttershy, seeing her rubbing the back of her head awkwardly as a deep, crimson blush burned her cheeks.

''I was...m-maybe thinking that i-if you don't wanna stay down here, you could...um...sleep with me?'' She was now blushing a crimson brighter than Rainbow had ever seen her do, as was herself, staring into her friend's eyes, but she avoided contact.

''Fluttershy, I could sleep on the couch. Its no trouble, I'll be fine down here.''

''Please? Just this once, Rainbow? Come to bed with me?'' Fluttershy asked pleadingly, puppy dog eyes digging into Rainbow's. She wanted to say yes, she truly did, but would this change their relationship? As much as Rainbow wanted to be held by her like before, she didn't want it to jeopardize the friendship they have had for so long. Since they were filly's, Rainbow has had a bit of a crush on her without her knowing, and even she has had suspisions on Fluttershy about her liking her back in the same way. Could this have been her way of letting her know?

''Fluttershy...if we do this, I don't want it to create any weirdness between us. I mean, we've known each other forever, Fluttershy. I don't want to ruin that.''

''You won't, Rainbow. I promise that it doesn't have to create anything weird between us.''

''Okay then, Fluttershy. For you, I'll do it.''

Upstairs in Fluttershy's bedroom, Rainbow and Fluttershy laid in bed, holding each other tightly as they snuggled together, Rainbow enjoying the feeling of Fluttershy's mane on her cheek, that sweet, vanilla-like aroma emitting from it. Fluttershy felt quite soft, Rainbow noted, hugging her like a teddy. Fluttershy had long fell asleep in Rainbow's arms, sleeping soundly on her friend's shoulder. Rainbow gently stroked her mane with a hoof, enjoying its silkiness.

Rainbow leaned close to Fluttershy, blushing as she quietly pressed her lips to hers, the taste of the multi-flavour candy canes still lingering there, adding a beautiful bliss to the moment. A smile crept onto Fluttershy's lips from the feeling, and before Rainbow decided to drift into the world of dreams, she whispered into Fluttershy's ear.

''Happy Hearths Warming, Fluttershy. I love you.''

Comments ( 14 )

Well shoot. I wrote a really lengthy comment that was lost because I waited too long before posting it. That won't stop me from doing it again though! :rainbowdetermined2:

This story was really sweet. There were some things I really liked, (the second to last paragraph being one of those things,) and some things I thought could use a little more detail, but all in all, it more than earns my rating of approval.

"Rainbow leaned close to Fluttershy, blushing as she quietly pressed her lips to hers, the taste of the multi-flavour candy canes still lingering there, adding a beautiful bliss to the moment."

God, I love this. Was the Sugarcube Corner scene written solely for this sentence? Because if it was, it was totally worth it. Not that the Sugarcube Corner bit would be unwelcome otherwise.



However... There are more than a few mistakes. To start, the word 'of' is used in place of 'have' three times in this story.

"They must of been like four."

"At some point, they must of fallen asleep whilst looking through the book,"

"Could this of been her way of letting her know?"

Other mistakes include:

"telling he to come in." her.

"But more of all," should be 'most'

"Below the picture, written on the border was two best friends forever.She giggled softly at it." A space is needed before 'She'

"'I-Its just that...it's snowing outside...'" missing an apostrophe. Should be "It's"

And during dialogue when using ellipses, (three dots) there should always be a space after the ellipses. Like this: "'I was... m-maybe thinking that i-if you don't wanna stay down here, you could... um... sleep with me?'"

There's also this, "As much as Rainbow wanted to be held by her like before, she didn't want it to jeopardize the friendship they have had for so long. Since they were filly's, Rainbow has had a bit of a crush on her without her knowing, and even she has had suspision on Fluttershy about her liking her back in the same way. Could this of been her way of letting her know?" which has quite a lot of problems. 'Have' and 'has' should both either be changed to the past-tense version of 'had,' or preferably changed to a different past-tense verb altogether, because having two cases of 'had had' back-to-back would be a little jarring and possibly confusing. Suspicion in spelled incorrectly, and the entire sentence it belongs to is just... I don't even know what it is... Honestly, I'd just rewrite that sentence if I were you.

Let me know when you've fixed these so I can remove this unsightly wall of text.

I wouldn't call it unsightly, it seems rather warranted. I agree with most of what you said, even if you beat me to corrections :fluttercry:

5283652 There wouldn't be much use in keeping the corrections posted after FireRain removes the errors from from the story. (provided that he/she actually does.) It'll just be clutter after that happens.

I'll still keep the actual comment part of the comment, but the corrections won't need to stay.

5283801 Eh I can see the point behind that. Assuming he/she ever does remove them then you're right, it would just be clutter. This was a cute fic, but the errors were kind of an eyesore. That reminds me, speaking of eyesores I just read a FlutterDash based on Shrek is Love Shrek is Life.... I think I need eye bleach... and brain bleach... maybe a lobotomy....

AHHH THE FEELS MAKING ME CRY! :fluttercry: TO CUTE

This story, now with an almost-professionnal-but-not-really review! Go read it!
Or not!
Shameless self-promoting!

OMG... THE CUTENESS... IT'S TOO MUCH!!!!!

DYING OF AN ADORABLENESS ATTACK...... GAHHHHHHHHHHFHHDJSKSNDKS *dead*

Bro, this was perfect! You should strongly consider writing a second part to wrap this up.
Stories like this one deserve it. You sir, get a brohoof.
9/10.

:)

5345222 :twilightblush: Thanks...talk about flattering... :3

5345310 I meant every word of it.
but i was serious when i said. Write a second part! I feel that it wasnt complete. :(

You are a natural at this.

5345381 As tempting as it may be, that would probably ruin the course of the story. It was a one shot idea I had in my head and it is fine the way it is. Sorry to say it, but there is no ideal plan for a second story plot.

5345486 Same thing. No possible place to go with it. I may actually move on to FlutterDash though. I like them both to be honest.

5345556 well if you insist.
But maybe you could write another flutterdash xmas story? Like... Setting is a few days before christmas and Dashie is trying to find the perfect gift for fluttershy, she finds one but had a present that was much more special. Herself.

Thats just my idea... That you could maybe take up on?

5346982. Maybe. Doesn't seem as fitting. I already got an idea.

Login or register to comment