• Published 16th Nov 2014
  • 1,327 Views, 37 Comments

From Under The Cork Tree - Muscle_Car_Brony



While rushing across the country, hoping to get away from his past, Gale’s car careens off the road. As it flies out over a lake his life flashes before his eyes before another, brighter, flash occurs and his car crashes down in an Equestrian field

  • ...
7
 37
 1,327

"Bullet with Butterfly Wings."

Walking inside, Gale could see that the interior of this room had a sort of subdued elegance to it, he assumed that was due, in part, to its function. I wonder how many others have actually been in this room? Judging by the guards reaction to Twilight entering, I’d guess very few. The dining table happened to be on the far side of the room, so as they walked forward he took the opportunity to look around. I thought the princesses were supposed to be gods or something, why this many guards?

Celestia heard the door open first and, after looking to see who it was, magically nudged Luna. Nodding in Twilight’s general direction. “Shall we meet our guests, Luna?” The day had been rather taxing on the solar princess and it started to show as she stood up and gave a yawn. “Before I get too tired to continue.”

The five met halfway between where Twilight and co had been, and the princesses’ table. As they did so, Twilight made to bow briefly, after less than a second she used her magic to pull Gale to the ground as well. “Ow!” Landing on his face with a ‘thud’. Shortly thereafter, Gale got back up and dusted himself off. Glaring at her while silently grateful that he hadn’t chipped a tooth. “Must you do that every time?

Both the princesses, and surprisingly Spike, shared a brief laugh at Twilight’s expense before Celestia introduced Gale to Luna. The latter of whom was ever so slightly annoyed to find that she was shorter than Gale, even if only barely. With that done, the five of them move to the table where Twilight sits next to Celestia and Spike next to Luna. Gale was content to stand for the time being. My legs aren’t broken, so I’m fine.

Looking up from her breakfast, Luna noticed that Gale was the only one not sitting. “Would you care to take a seat, Gale?”.

“No thank you, I did a lot of sitting around on the way up here so I’m alright with standing.”

“Hmfp. Okay then.” The conspicuous lack of the words ‘your highness’ in his response seemed to have gotten under her skin slightly. Both Twilight and Celestia had noticed too, though they simply chalked it up to exhaustion. Celestia could tell that the trip up the mountain must have been tiring, even if by train. That, and she was tired from the day’s myriad proceedings.

From that point, the group, sans Gale, sat in silence as the two rulers finished their respective meals. They both finished eating at roughly the same time and everyone stood up from the table. Luna informed them that she would be attending a security meeting of sorts before resuming Celestia’s duties as part of the night’s court. Celestia herself, however, was going to prepare for bed. She had apparently spent most of the day mediating between the Minotaur and Griffon ambassadors.

Though, before she did, she called forth a trio of guards and asked them to show Twilight and her friends to their respective rooms. Their belongings had already been moved there for them.

Before the guards showed the to their rooms, however, they went on a brief tour of the palace.Entirely for Gale’s sake, as Twilight was even able to correct a detail if one of the guards wasn’t quite right. At the end of their impromptu tour, they happened to walk past the throne room on their way to the staircase that lead to the palace sleeping quarters. As they passed it, Gale slowed for a moment, somewhat interested in the kind of things that might go on during a night court. I mean, come on . . . there’s a reason everyone loves a late show, right? . . .

They reached Gale’s room, and Twilight informed that guards that she could get back to her room, as it hadn’t changed in the years that she’d been there. The guards left the three and shortly thereafter, Twilight and Spike left Gale to look around his current sleeping quarters and get used to them. Twilight informed him, before she left, that there was a decent chance that he would receive this room again, should he be called to the palace.

With no one else around, Gale spent the next few hours looking through the books by title, and finding nothing he felt he’d be interested in. From there, he took his phone and tried looking for something to listen to. He soon found that he couldn’t either. It quickly dawned on him that. Despite the lavish furnishings, despite the hundreds of books lining the southern wall, despite the fantastic view of the city, He couldn’t stand being there.

At that exact point in time he wanted to be literally anywhere else than in that room, so he went out for a walk around the palace. The majority of guards were stationed near the princesses’ quarters and the throne room, and their apparently secret dining room. That meant that he’d be alone for most of his walk, which was fine, he preferred it that way.

Aside from the quiet breathing of the myriad guard ponies as he passed, Gales footfalls were the sole sound reverberating through the building. Despite knowing that the guards had all been informed of his presence and despite being assured that there were typically very few ponies roaming late at night, Gale couldn’t help but feel uneasy. Looking for a way to ease his mind, he started softly singing various slow tempoed songs as he strolled through the palace’s many halls. “So? So you think you can tell . . . “ As he reached the last verse of that particular song, he walked to a window and looked up to the sky as he sang.


The guards who’d overheard him as he sang stood silent even as he returned to his quarters. It was only once they had changed shifts several hours later that any of them spoke of the event. “Sir, was that one of the princesses guests?”

“We’re not on duty Sure Hoof, you don’t have to keep calling me sir.”

“Right, sorry Snowtail.” correcting herself, she took off her helmet. Removing the headgear allowed the appearance spell to dissipate as it required the full set of armor.. “After all this time I’m only just now getting used to being one of the few mares in the royal guard.” She shook her head a bit as she sat her helmet on the table. Shaking loose her hazel mane.

“Don’t worry about it too much, you’re doing fine.” he said turning so he could see if the cafeteria was open yet. Yet again, we’re too early. “To answer your earlier question,” He paused briefly, either for dramatic impact or just because he was taking his helmet off, Sure Hoof wasn’t sure which. “Yes, that was. All I know is that he’s a foreigner from some far-off land. Nopony will say where, though.”

“Thanks for that. And, I hope you don’t mind my saying this,” she started, quickly looking down as she continued. ”But I hope they can transfer me to a day shift at some point.”

“Just give it a few more months, you get used to it.” giving her a quick pat on the back, Snowtail started walking towards the counter. “Come on now Sure Hoof, we get first take on all the breakfast food. Fresh off the stoves, so let’s not let that go to waste.”

“Agreed.” she said, making sure her helmet was safely on the table for the moment and walking to join him in the increasing line of their fellow guards..

“I would say something about leaving your helmet, but I think I can let it slide this once.” Snowtail said for the hundredth time. “Besides, the line’s moving quick.” The pair didn’t speak much afterwards, save for parting words as they both headed off the sleep.

Arriving back at the barracks just before sunrise, Sure Hoof saw that, as usual, her squad-mates were laying around in various positions and different stages of intoxication. Geeze, don’t you stallions have anything better to do?

Feeling exhausted from her shift, she opted to let them deal with the consequences on this one and go to sleep. Before she did, however, she quietly called out for her dog. “Cedar? Come here girl.” When the dog didn’t arrive after several seconds, she started to get worried. “Come on girl, this isn’t funny.” Still nothing. Her exhaustion quickly faded, replaced by confusion. Cedar doesn’t usually do something like this. Where is she?

Sure Hoof started looking around the barracks for any sign of her dog. She became even more concerned when, after a few minutes of searching, she found no dog. She did, however stumble across a note reading ‘You crushed my heart, I think it’s only fair I get your dog.’. Her confusion quickly slid towards anger as she recognized the hoofwriting on the paper. Oh, he’s a dead stallion.


Having returned from his walk, Gale took to the balcony in order to get a better look at the city. He had a hard time doing so, however, as his attention kept getting drawn upwards and into the air. Well, if she really does control the night sky, then I have to hand it to her. This looks pretty nice. Canterlot, unlike most cities on Earth, had very few buildings more than four stories high. There was also a distinct lack of streetlights, as they used lanterns instead. These things combined lent to an absolutely stunning view of the night sky.

After a few minutes of doing nothing but stargazing, Gale leaned against the rail and turned his gaze back to the earth. Gardens, main gates, guard barracks . . .Wait, guard barracks? Leaning over the rail a little further, Gale was able to make out the entrance into what was very obviously the guard’s sleeping quarters. Seems a little odd to have them way off in the back corner like that . . . and the cynic in me wonders if I was given a room that could see it on purpose or not.

He spent a few minutes studying the building, what he could see of it at least, and was about to head back inside when he noticed a pony go rushing out the door. Looking down at them, Gale could see that they had a light colored mane and a dark coat. He couldn’t tell exactly what colors. Huh, that’s weird. Why would someone be leaving the barracks at this time of night? I doubt it’s shift change if it’s just one of them. Maybe he’s off on leave? That explains the box at least. Having decided to ask the staff in the morning, Gale laid down for bed.

Having his room on the eastern side of the palace meant Gale wouldn’t be able to sleep in late, especially since his room didn’t have very heavy curtains. And here I was hoping to catch some sleep. Sitting up he turned to the side and did his best to keep the rising sun from his eyes. After a moment, his eyes had adjusted enough that he felt he could move about the room to start his day.

Although he was extremely tired, Gale had already decided that he didn’t want to sit around in the room all day. That in mind, he got dressed in order to head down and walk around the place some more. He had to admit, the architecture of the place was something to be admired. Unsure of whether or not he could get back in, Gale was hesitant to lock the door but shortly before leaving, he saw that there was a key under a flowerpot on a shelf next to the door. Pocketing it, he set out.

At first he planned on making a lap of the entire upper level, but as he was about halfway through with that he realized just how big the place was. Since he had decided to give up on that, Gale took the nearest flight of stairs down to the first level. Twilight had given him a couple of bits the night before, in case he wanted to go into town or anything, so he figured finding somewhere to eat was a good idea, and if he couldn’t get something in town then w=there was always the palace’s cafeteria.

Gale had started to wonder exactly how he’d be spending his day after that as he walked, trying to decide if he could make himself just sit around or if he should look for something else. That decision was made for him, however, when he heard an argument break out as he approached a corner in the hall. “I should’ve known you were behind this, Loom. Where is she?

I guess that settles it. Jogging up to them he could see that this mare, whoever it was, was already chewing this stallion a new one for something. Once he was close enough, he prepared to grab and restrain her, though he tried not to show it, just in case something were to happen. Sure enough, it did as she yelled. ”Tell me what you did with my dog you son of a bitch or I’ll kick your flank ‘till you do.” and started towards the stallion in question.

Well, damn. That one even made sense. He quickly bent down and wrapped his arms under her stomach. “Calm down, miss..” he said lifting her into the air before she could strike the pony before her. “Look, I get that you’re mad, miss, but kicking the shit out of him ain’t gonna solve anything.”

To her credit, Sure Hoof had the sense to realize she’d come very close to, and probably did, cross a line or two.

Even as Gale said it, he noticed the pony edging down the hall. “I don’t know what’s going on here, but it sounds like you shouldn’t try running.” That got them to freeze in place long enough for three more guards to show up. Now that he had a moment to look at him, Gale realized this pony had both a light colored mane and a dark coat. Son of a bitch indeed. That was you headed out of the barracks last night, wasn’t it?.

About a minute later, three uniformed guards showed up and took control of the situation. With both ponies under control, the guards were able to ascertain what had happened before Gale arrived. It was Gale’s understanding that this mare, Sure Hoof, has a small dog that went missing the night prior. She found a note with writing suspiciously similar to that of Loom’s. She happened to find him that morning and confronted him about the whereabouts of her dog.

According to Loom, she often yelled many foul things at him as he passed by on his way into the palace on business. It struck Gale as odd that he never mentioned what business, but he didn’t really think anything of it.

In almost no time at all, things had quickly escalated to the point where the guards were questioning both parties. Gale had been asked to stay as well, in case he heard or saw anything different. Since he was already there, he informed the guards present that he’d seen a pony vaguely matching Loom’s description early that morning, around the front entrance to the barracks building. After a few minutes of questioning it was revealed that yes, Loom had taken Cedar, she was apparently in a spare room in his apartment. He planned on bringing her back the next day, it seemed he was hoping Sure Hoof would take him back if he could reunite her and Cedar.

Having sent one of the guards to contact Canterlot’s non-palace guard, who were to go and rescue Cedar from Loom’s apartment, the remaining guards escorted the three of them down to a more secure holding location. Loom was for sure going to be arrested and spend some time in a jail cell, but there was also a chance Sure Hoof would as it had been revealed that she’d struck him at least twice before Gale had arrived to break everything up. That certainly explains why he was backed into a corner.

Eventually it was agreed that Sure Hoof would drop the charges for breaking and entering if he dropped any assault charges. It was only after he’d agreed that one of the guards informed him of a rule stating that, while an individual palace resident may waive those charges, the guard retained the ability to charge him. Especially since it was into the barracks building.

Well, that sucks for him now, doesn’t it? Taking some pleasure in the look of horror the stallion wore, Gale asked the other guard if he could leave. When he was told yes, he opened the door and walked out.


With that ordeal having wrapped up, Gale headed back to his room for a few hours. He intended to catch a bit of sleep and roam the city from that afternoon until late that night. He didn’t get much sleep, however, as there came a knock on his door not three hours after he returned.

Opening the door allowed him to see that a pair of guards were waiting outside. The hell happened now? In almost no time at all, the senior guard had explained to Gale that he’d been summoned and was wanted in the throne room. The tone of voice he’d used combined with the looks he and his partner were sharing gave Gale the impression that this was something he either shouldn’t or couldn’t avoid going to. He wasn’t sure how to feel about that.

It only took a few minutes for the three to reach the throne room, when they did younger of the guards opened the door for them to walk through. Walking inside, he thanked the guard who opened the door before continuing towards the throne.

Princess Celestia didn’t seem to anything to do that day, as the throne room was rather empty. That struck Gale as odd, but he didn’t think it necessary to mention. What he was more confused about, was the pony that Celestia was talking to as he walked up.

As Celestia briefly explained that Gale was from a distant land and was staying for the week, the man in question realized something about this particular guard. Wait a minute. While all the other guards in the room were in full armor, with coats that were inexplicably the same shade of white, this one didn’t have her helmet on, and her coat was a rather dull grey while her mane was hazel. What are the odds? He wondered, shortly before snapping back to reality.

“Sure Hoof has been assigned to you as a guard for the next three days. I have not ordered this as any sort of punishment for either of you, but it has been decided that one of you could do with a bit of protection over the coming days.”

Nodding in semi-understanding, Sure Hoof moved next to Gale and stood silent while he and the princess finished their conversation. I’m not sure how I feel about that wording.

“I understand completely. Thank you.” he said bowing slightly before turning to leave.

Sure Hoof had expected many things from today. This, was not one of them. Putting her helmet back on, she bowed “Thank you, your highness.” before turning and almost running after him, fully intent on closing the gap and asking him what he was thinking.

As they left, Celestia sat in the throne room, continuing on with her daily responsibilities. All the while, she wondered about Gale and his refusal to properly address her. Are all humans that irreverent, or is it just him? I suppose I may never know.


As they walked out onto the grounds, Gale looked down and asked. “So, what are the odds of this?”

While it would have been impossible to mistake Gale for anyone else, and Surehoof had already recognized hi, she wasn’t quite expecting him to remember her. “Um, what?”

Oh, what was her name again? “Sure Hoof, isn’t it?” Seeing her nod, he sighed in relief that he’d gotten it right before continuing. “Wasn’t that you I ran into this morning?”

“Oh! Um, yes . . . yes it was. Look, I’m sorry about that I-”

Cutting her off, Gale held out a hand in a ‘stop’ motion before saying. “You already apologized once, that’s good enough for me. Say, did they get your dog back safe and sound?”

“Cedar? She’s with a veterinarian until my shift ends. Well, I guess I should say until it’s decided I don’t need to guard you. No offense.”

“None taken.” He replied. “Truth be told though, something the princess said has me confused.”

“That being?”

“Well, the words ‘one of you could do with a bit of protection.’ come to mind.” Again he looked down at her. “What do you suppose she meant by that?”

“Not a clue, mr.-”

“Please, just call me Gale.”

Author's Note:

Short chapter for now, as I'm a little pre-occupied. Regardless of that, hope y'all like it, and feel free to hound me for any mistakes. I'm sure there are some in there.

Comments ( 2 )

This is an interesting story! Keep up the good work!

Login or register to comment