• Published 15th Nov 2014
  • 14,550 Views, 509 Comments

Goodnight Sunset, Good Morning Sunrise - Twilight Nightmare



After the Fall Formal things don't go so well with Sunset Shimmer she slowly spirals downward before hitting rock bottom, moments away from doing something she will regret when, to her, the least likely of people come to her rescue.

  • ...
22
 509
 14,550

Welcome Back

"Are you sure that you're ready for this?" Fluttershy asked, hand in hand with Sunrise as the pair approached the school. Celestia had to leave early to make sure she could inform the teachers of Sunrise's change in status and reluctantly left the girl to make her own way to school. Thankfully Fluttershy had come by, driven by her cousin, and offered to go with Sunrise. They were dropped a couple blocks away since Flutttershy's cousin was already running late and couldn't afford to go out of his way to go all the way to the school.

"No...not really, but I doubt I ever will be. If I don't do this now it will only get harder." Sunrise admitted, smiling at the reassuring squeeze Fluttershy gave her hand. "Are you? You said that you haven't talked to Rainbow since Saturday at the mall."

"I'm still mad at her. I don't care if it was you or someone else, what she said was way out of line." Fluttershy said, but the anger in her eyes showed that she was being protective of Sunrise. It felt...good, even if it did hurt her ego a little. She was never one who needed protection, but knowing that this girl beside her was willing to offer it filled Sunrise with a happy warm feeling. "Anyways, let's not worry about that right now. Let's just enjoy the last few moments together since we won't see each other again until lunch."

"At least we have chem together after lunch." Sunrise said, a thought occurring to her. "You know, I don't have a lab partner and since you said Gilda was suspended Thursday...if you want to anyways..."

"I'd love to!" Fluttershy chirped happily, excitement etched on her face. It was kind of nice seeing the girl smile like this, much better than seeing her in fear and flinching away.

"Fluttershy!" Applejack called out from across the courtyard, Rarity and herself heading over to them with a look of worry, eyes full of accusation looking towards Sunrise.

"Darling, can we please talk to you." Rarity asked, seeming a little worried as she glanced at the pair's interlocked fingers.

"Alone if it's alright with yall, sugarcube." Applejack said, her voice a little stern as she looked expectantly as Sunrise.

"Go ahead, they're your friends. I'll see you later." Sunrise said, giving what she hoped was an encouraging smile.

"I'm not sure...I don't want to leave you alone until it's time for classes." Fluttershy whispered back making Sunrise smile at the sentiment. She wanted Fluttershy to spend some time with the others though, they may not liked her but they were Fluttershy's friends.

"I'll be fine, I wanted to stop by mo...Principal Celestia's office for a few minutes anyways." Sunrise said, debating if she should. They still haven't talked about what they were yet, but something inside pushed her into it anyways. With a blush she quickly leaned forward and kissed Fluttershy's cheek before running off leaving two confused girls and a shocked and very happy girl with them.

"Wh-Whaaaaa?" Rarity asked melodramatically, swooning a bit as Applejack glared at the shy girl.

"Don't tell me you are...seeing that girl, sugarcube. Are you out of your cotton pickin' mind?" Applejack demanded as she waved her hand in the direction of the retreating girl.

"No...b-but what if I were? What if I wanted to?" Fluttershy asked, shrinking back into her hair a little.

"Sugarcube, she bullied and tormented yall for years. I want yall to be happy, but how do yall know she won't just be another snake in the grass and bite yall in the backside when you turn around?" Applejack asked. "Sunset is trouble sugarcube."

"Sunrise." Fluttershy corrected her, getting a little upset at them for talking that way about her new friend.

"What was that darling?" Rarity asked, finally getting over her shock to round on Fluttershy as well. Neither of them was mad at Fluttershy, but they didn't trust Sunset that much and didn't trust the girl at all when it came to Fluttershy.

"I said her name is Sunrise. Sunset...Sunset is dead. Sunrise is a different girl than we all knew...a better person." Fluttershy explained, refusing to listen to any badmouthing of the girl she cared for.

"Is that why you chose her over Rainbow...a girl that you have been friends with since you two were little?" Rarity asked, a little anger flashing in her eyes. "Darling...you slapped Rainbow, that wasn't normal! That girl must have done something to you."

"Instead of jumping to conclusions, why not ask me why I slapped her? I would have slapped her no matter who it was over after the things she said! She called Sunrise things no person should ever call another person. And it was right after Sunrise saved me from Gilda! So don't you dare sit there and act like Rainbow was the victim! I love Rainbow, she's one of my best friends, but until she's ready to apologize not only to me, but to Sunrise also, I don't want anything to do with her!" Fluttershy said, her voice taking on an edge that they barely ever heard in her voice before. The same edge that always filled it when Fluttershy was pushed too far and ended up using the 'stare' on the person responsible for pushing so much.

"Darling...maybe it was a misunderstanding." Rarity suggested.

"What did Rainbow say that worked yall up so much then, sugarcube?" Applejack asked, worried now that maybe Rainbow did something stupid. The athletic girl was always a little brash and it wasn't a stretch that she may have done something stupid when not really meaning to.

"I refuse to repeat what she said, I never even want to hear it again." Fluttershy said, her eyes watering a little as they filled with rage. "I never, ever thought she would even be capable of saying such things."

"That bad, huh?" Rarity asked, both girls’ shoulders slumping as they realized that Rainbow Dash must have messed up really badly for Fluttershy to actually slap the girl.

"Worse...either she apologizes or I don't think I can be friends with her anymore. I really don't want it to come to that, but I can't be friends with someone who...who would..." Fluttershy said, fighting back tears as Rarity pulled her into a hug.

~~~

"Why did she come back?"

"Stupid she-demon."

"Doesn't belong here."

Just a few of the things that reached Sunrise's ears as she walked through the halls of Canterlot High. It was kind of funny that just over a week ago these students would be afraid to even think these things, yet now they seemed to be the popular opinion. She wouldn't have thought twice about putting an end to it either no matter whom it hurt. Now she felt she deserved it, every bit of it, now that she knew what she had done to them all.

She always knew though, she just didn't care before. Darkness was holding back the light inside of her, making her do things she would never do.

"I hope you're happy." Someone snarled shoving Sunrise into a locker making her gasp out in pain as the lock jabbed her in the back. "She won't even take my calls!"

"Maybe if you actually listened to her more." Sunrise gasped out, rubbing the sore spot as Rainbow Dash glared at her.

"I do listen, problem is someone brainwashed her into not even talking to me!" Rainbow snarled out, her eyes so full of anger it scared Sunrise a little. "She's my best friend and...and...she won't even talk to me!"

"I didn't brainwash her...I'm also not the one who apparently thought it would be a good idea to accuse someone she apparently likes of...whatever it was." Sunrise said, pushing Rainbow out of her personal space though she felt sorry for the distraught girl. She could understand Rainbow Dash's position, their group of friends just made up and the rainbow haired girl was worried that it may have been falling apart all over again.

"What? All I told her was the truth! Nobody even wants you here, so why don't you go crawl in a corner and die!" Rainbow Dash snarled, her eyes full of anger though there was a bit of regret in them after she finished which softened the blow a little. It still hurt Sunrise, even if a few other students around gasped in shock at it.

"Yeah, she deserves to pay for what she did, but...that was a little much."

"Can you believe Dash would say something like that?"

"Do you think she's becoming a new Sunset?"

Rainbow Dash couldn't take it and spun around and stomped off down the hallway away from the gathered crowd who watched the confrontation. Sunrise couldn't take the eyes any longer and hurried away also, heading straight for the Principal's office.

"Good morning, Sunse...Sunrise." Mrs. Appleby said, giving the teen a little smile from her desk inside the receptionist area. There were several desks actually though only the one was occupied at the moment. There were two doors behind her desk, one leading to Celestia's office and the other to Luna's.

"Good morning, Mrs. Appleby, may I go in and see my mo...Principal Celestia?" Sunrise asked, a little nervous that the woman would say no. Then again the woman was always kind, even to her before the Fall Formal.

"Of course sweetie...and...congratulations. I'm also glad that you are back and I hope things work out for you." Mrs. Appleby said with a smile as Sunrise moved around the desk to head into the office, pausing for a moment.

"Thank you, Mrs. Appleby." Sunrise said before pushing the door open only to nearly have a heart attack when a pink blur crashed into her with a cry of...

"SURPRISE!" Pinkie Pie shouted, making the two women standing there laugh. Mrs. Appleby just behind her and Celestia in her office where a small cake sat on the desk and a banner hung on her wall behind her.

"I really wanted to throw a huge welcome back party for you, but...well Principal Celestia convinced me it might be better this way for now. So do you like it? Huh? Do you? Do you?" Pinkie asked sitting atop Sunrise and leaning down into her face.

"Can't...breath..." Sunrise gasped out making Pinkie jump off of Sunrise and pulling the girl up with her.

"Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry!" Pinkie cried out, though Sunrise hugged the girl.

"Thank you Pinkie, every one." Sunrise said through a watery smile.

Author's Note:

I'll try not to take so long for updates, but I'm living with my GF now and I do have a job that can get hectic at times, so I can not make any promises on how fast chapters will come.