• Published 15th Nov 2014
  • 14,576 Views, 509 Comments

Goodnight Sunset, Good Morning Sunrise - Twilight Nightmare



After the Fall Formal things don't go so well with Sunset Shimmer she slowly spirals downward before hitting rock bottom, moments away from doing something she will regret when, to her, the least likely of people come to her rescue.

  • ...
22
 509
 14,576

Bonding

Sunrise couldn’t believe how late she was running, wishing that she had actually accepted the ride from Celestia. She wanted to just stay in bed a few more minutes and enjoy the warm comfort her new bed in their new home provided. Celestia had apparently hired someone while they were at school yesterday to get the place set up quickly and it surprised Sunrise how much stuff was waiting for her when she was shown her room. She had a whole computer system, new iPhone, and an entire entertainment system in her room with a lot of furniture spread out over the spacious area. Even the oriental style low table with cushions didn’t take up even a small fraction of the space there.

Still, as nice as the bed was, she had hoped to cut Fluttershy off on the way to school and walk with her. Sadly she didn’t make it in nearly enough time, but there was still hope of maybe hanging out a few minutes with the girl before school. And there was always their free period which they had planned to spend together all week long.

It was almost funny in a way, despite always having some…unknown feelings for the girl; oh who was she kidding she knew what they were, she never dreamed of spending time with her. And she was even wanting to do it as well, freely, without any coercion at all. It was…a little surprising in a way. A very good surprise though.

As she hurried into the front of the school she looked out over the sea of students hoping to see a familiar blob of pink, but sadly didn’t. Instead she bumped into Scootaloo, the girl’s two friends behind her.

“Watch where your going you she-demon!” Scootaloo hissed out angrily, Applebloom shooting Sunrise an angry glare as well, though not as intense. Sweetie Belle though just gave a nervous smile which Sunrise returned, grateful that not all three of them seemed to be hostile towards her. Heck the whole school seemed to be against her…including Fluttershy’s friends if what she heard from them before her nightmare of a week.

“I’m sorry.” Sunrise sighed, hoping to offer some kindness. “Are you…okay? How are you doing?”

“None of your business!” Scootaloo snarled, “You already ruined my sister’s friendships once…are you trying to do it again?”

“Wh-what?” Sunrise gasped in shock, “Of course not!”

“Why did you even come back?” Applebloom asked, though she didn’t seem as angry as Scootaloo. Actually, Applebloom seemed more like she was going along with everyone else around them while Sweetie Belle just gave a quiet sigh of exasperation.

“I think it’s time you girls got to class.” Celestia said softly, giving the students around them a pointed look making them all hurry off. She put her hand on Sunrise’s shoulder getting the girl to look up with watery eyes. “Are you okay honey?”

“I’ll be okay, I kind of expected this kind of treatment after everything I’ve done.” Sunrise sighed.

“I wish I could make it all go away. If it gets too much you can always come to me in my office, we can spend the rest of the day there.” Celestia said as Sunrise hugged her, not caring if anyone saw, but the halls were now empty as the bell rang so nobody did witness it.

“I’ll be fine, I have you and Fluttershy, so things are already going a lot better.” Sunrise said with a smile as she pulled back.

“Come on, let’s get you to class…unless you want to come stay with me in the office.” Celestia said, giving Sunrise an easy out to any more of the rumors and rough treatment.

“Thanks, mom, but I think I need to face this.” Sunrise said as Celestia escorted her to class so she didn’t get in trouble for being late. Not that any of the teachers still did much against her since she once had blackmail material on about every one. Some things being worthy of being fired most likely. She kind of wondered if it would be a good idea to speak to Celestia later about it.

Instead of worrying about it she just sighed as slumped down in her seat as she could feel the harsh glares all around her. The same glares that followed her the day before going to the office. She couldn’t blame them really, she felt as if she deserved it and more. Adverting her eyes from everyone she stared down at her desk counting the minutes for the class to end. Soon she’d be able to get some relief with Fluttershy…


Sadly things weren’t working out as she hoped they would as she found Fluttershy by the tree they sat under the day before. Sitting on either side of her was Applejack and Rarity who were giving Sunrise strange looks as she approached.

“Look sugarcube, I’m sorry, but we really need to talk to Fluttershy here. Maybe you two can talk later, like during lunch.” Applejack suggested.

“We can’t…Celestia wants Sunrise in the office during lunch.” Fluttershy said, reminding Sunrise of that fact as she was thinking about braving the cafeteria just to be with Fluttershy. After this morning though she was wondering just how good of an idea that would have been. Not only would the other students make it hard for her to enjoy her meal, it might spill over onto Fluttershy if she was there.

“Crap, I forgot.” Sunrise sighed as Fluttershy got up, giving her two friends a quick look.

“I’ll be right back.” Fluttershy sighed, before taking Sunrise’s hand and pulling her off to the side so they could have a quick whispered conversation. “I’m really sorry, there’s some…stuff we have to work out. I promise we will be able to spend some time together later.”

“Its okay, Fluttershy, I know we can’t spend every moment here together.” Sunrise said, though a part of her mind was telling her that they didn’t even really spend a lot of time together here or out of school besides what time they’ve managed to scrape together outside of family and other things. “Maybe…I can come over tonight and we can spend some time together…that is if you want.”

“No!” Fluttershy gasped out, a look of panic crossing her face making Sunrise feel a little heart broken. It was like Fluttershy was embarrassed…or scared to be seen with Sunrise. That couldn’t be true though could it? Then again, the way she panicked just now began to fill Sunrise with doubt as she never really had a good track record with friendship to begin with. Maybe…maybe the Crusaders and everyone else was right. Maybe she shouldn’t have bothered coming back here.

“I…I see…” Sunrise choked out, trying to stay strong as doubt began to grow more and more as she started backing away. “I’ll leave you alone.”

“I don’t want you to leave me alone, I just…I have some things I’m dealing with at home. I love you Sunrise, please don’t ever doubt that.” Fluttershy said giving Sunrise a quick kiss. “Go ahead and come over tonight…but I have to warn you that…”

“Darling…we really need to talk about that thing.” Rarity said as she came up to them, pulling Fluttershy away. It looked like the meek girl really wanted to say something, but gave in.

“I’ll see you later, and if not I’ll stop by your house after school.” Sunrise said, noticing the panicked look again before she walked off. She couldn’t shake the bad feeling she was getting from that look.

As she walked back through the school, intending to go visit her mother as she really didn’t want to be alone with all of the dirty looks she was getting. She could hear whispers calling her demon and worse, all of the comments hurting her to some extent. Still, she knew she deserved it and probably deserved worse so didn’t retaliate when a wadded up piece of paper smacked her in the back of her head. Instead, with a heavy sigh she just continued to the office.

“I’m sorry, dear, she had to step out for a few minutes to deal with something on the other side of the campus.” Miss Appleby said when she noticed Sunrise enter the office.

“Its okay, can…I talk to Vice-Principal Luna?” Sunrise asked, shifting a little nervously. She really hadn’t talked to Luna yet that much since Celestia adopted her. Celestia really loved her sister very much though and had talked a lot about the woman, even saying that she hoped she might move out of her dingy little apartment and move in with them. After all, the house had five bedrooms which would easily give the three plenty of space.

“Sure dear, go on ahead. She’s not busy that I know of.” Miss Appleby said, giving Sunrise a smile as the girl thanked her and walked into the office of her adopted Aunt.

“Vice-Principal Luna, can we talk?” Sunrise asked, noticing the woman narrow her eyes at her. Sunrise couldn’t help swallowing nervously as the woman seemed to look straight into her soul. Luna had never really liked her that much, so she wasn’t really too sure why she was bothering with this.

“I’m a little busy at the moment, can you maybe come back later?” Luna asked, grabbing a stack of papers to shuffle through. The way she was acting seemed more like it was an excuse to get rid of Sunrise than actually being busy.

“Sorry…mom…told me to come here for lunch. She’s not in her office though.” Sunrise said quietly, almost imitating Fluttershy as Luna narrowed her eyes at her for a few moments. “She doesn’t want me going to the cafeteria with the others where…I’ve already had a bad day so far and I hate to admit it…but I’m a little worried about going to the cafeteria.”

“So…where’s your lunch?” Luna asked, arching a brow as her eyes traveled up and down Sunrise’s body. “I don’t see anything on your person that can count as lunch unless you plan on eating paper.”

“Mom said she would have lunch waiting for us.” Sunrise squeaked out.

“Sit down.” Luna said, waving at a chair in front of her desk. Leaning forward she pushed a button on her intercom system. “Mrs. Appleby, are you eating yet or are you busy?”

“No ma’am, did you need something?” Mrs. Appleby asked, her voice full of static. Sunrise really wondered why they didn’t replace those things, surely there were ones that made the speakers at the drive through sound top of the line.

“Miss Shimmer will be spending lunch with me, could you please get her a tray?” Luna asked surprising Sunrise a little.

“Right away Ma’am.” Mrs. Appleby said before her voice was cut off once again.

“Thank you.” Sunrise said, smiling at the woman who for just a moment looked as if she was about to return the gesture. Instead she sighed and went back to her paperwork.

“It’s fine, I don’t want my sister yelling at me if I send you back out there.” Luna sighed as she went back to her papers. Looking across the desk she noticed Gilda’s name on one of the papers that said something about…expulsion. Squinting her eyes she tried to read more of it and noticed Scootaloo, Applebloom and Sweetie Belle’s names also listed. Did that mean all of them were being expelled? Sure the last three caused trouble sometimes, but nothing deserving of expulsion. As for Gilda, Sunrise thought the girl was already expelled…then remembered hearing that Gilda was coming back from suspension being whispered in the halls.

“Please keep your eyes to yourself, Miss Shimmer.” Luna snapped, turning the papers over when she noticed Sunrise trying to read them.

“S-sorry.” Sunrise squeaked out, relieved when a knock came on the door and Mrs. Appleby pushed it open and gave a tray of food and a chocolate milk to Sunrise. “Thank you.”

“Your welcome dear, enjoy.” Mrs. Appleby said with a smile as she closed the door behind her after retreateing from the office.

“Wow, I never thought I’d ever hear you say that.” Luna said, smirking a bit though it sounded a little teasing.

“I’ve changed…I’m not that bully anymore…and I’m glad. I…I’m ashamed I ever acted that way.” Sunrise sighed, picking at the salad and chicken on her tray.

“So I’ve heard…I really hope you have. If it wasn’t for my sister, you probably wouldn’t even be here.” Luna sighed.

“Yeah…I’d be dead if it wasn’t for her.” Sunrise said, opening her straw and putting it in the milk carton. Normally she’d go for the bottled water, but this was a nice change she guessed.

“You don’t need to be all dramatic.” Luna said rolling her eyes a little at Sunrise’s statement.

“I’m not…I almost killed myself twice…and I don’t have any illusions that I would have lasted any longer. Especially if mom didn’t find me when she did.” Sunrise sighed, wanting to change the subject as Luna looked on in shock. “So…how have you been doing?”

“I’ve been doing fine, Miss Shimmer. Though my personal life really isn’t any of your business.” Luna said, her eyes narrowing a little while she studied Sunrise as the girl quickly ate her food.

“You know, you do look…thinner.” Luna mused, pursing her lips as she drummed her fingers along the desk’s top.

“I’m fine…Luna…” Surise began.

“Vice-Principal Luna, thank you.” Luna snapped out making Sunrise cringe a little.

“Vice-Principal Luna…can you maybe tell me a little about yourself? I…you are my aunt now and…I hardly really know the real you.” Sunrise squeaked out, shifting nervously as she sat her now empty tray on the edge of the desk.

“What is it that you want Miss Shimmer?” Luna asked, her voice a little stiff.

“I just want to know you better…you are going to be an important part in my life from now on.” Sunrise said, wishing she could shrink back into her hair like Fluttershy does at the moment.

“What has my sister been telling you?” Luna nearly growled out, glaring heatedly at Sunrise.

“Well…mom…she’s been talking about you and…I wanted to come see you about it.” Sunrise said softly, shuffling a little in her seat. “I never noticed that you two seemed kind of distant…but mom really doesn’t like it. She…she loves you and misses you and wants you to move in with us. I…I want you to move in with us to.”

“And why should I believe you? Why would you even want me to move in with the two of you?” Luna demanded, glaring at Sunrise making the girl shrink back into the chair even more.

“Because…I love her. I’ve always wanted a family and now I have it. I have a wonderful…the best mother a girl could ask for. And…I have a wonderful aunt that she’s been talking about that…that I want to get to know. I want to get to know the real Luna, my Aunt Luna and not Vice-Principal Luna.” Sunrise said, making Luna’s glare intensify.

“Tell me, Miss Shimmer…do you know why Celestia can’t have children? I’m sure she mentioned that fact to you, but do you know the reason why?” Luna asked, not even bothering to wait for Sunrise’s reply. “It’s because I was an idiot and was drunk and high and was stupid enough to get behind the wheel of a car. I almost killed my sister…do you truly think she loves me? That she forgives me for taking any chance of her ever having a family away from her?”

“She’s always had a family…she’s always had you. And now she has me too and…I hope that we can all three maybe…become close and have a happy family.” Sunrise said, grabbing her tray as she stood up, backing away as Luna looked like she was going to explode. “I’m sorry…maybe this wasn’t any of my business. I…I just don’t like seeing my mom hurt at all…and I was hoping to help stop you from hurting to now that I see how much your hurting to. I…I’ll go for now, but I’d really like to get to know you. And mom already has a room set up for you.”

Luna watched the girl leave before heaving a loud, shuddering sigh. She felt as if she was going to cry, but at the same time she couldn’t help admitting that she felt something else she hadn’t felt for awhile. Of course she’s heard Celestia say some of the same, but Luna wasn’t too sure if she believed her. Hearing Sunrise spew all of that though, and to see how serious she was moved her a little. Maybe it was time to leave the past in the past and move on with the future.

After sitting there for who knew how long, she got up from her desk and made her way to her sister’s office. Sunrise was just leaving as the bell was ringing and Luna couldn’t help giving the girl a brief smile. Maybe she had been wrong about the girl all along. Walking into the office she gave her sister a small, nervous smile.

“So I’ve heard that you’ve been talking about me behind my back.” Luna said, crossing her arms and sniffing in disdain.

“I’m really sorry, I admit I talked to my daughter a little about it as we settled in and…I told her I wished that you would move in with is.” Celestia admitted, wincing as Luna glared at her.

“Luna, I’m really sorry if I upset you.” Celestia sighed as she got up and walked to Luna, who shocked her by pulling her into a hug.

“Maybe I was wrong about the brat…you better have a pillowtop mattress in my room.” Luna said before pulling away.

“Does that mean? Do you finally forgive me?” Celestia asked softly, so much hope filling her voice shocking Luna. What on earth did the woman mean by that? If anyone needed forgiveness it was Luna herself and not her sister.

“Tia? Why on earth would I need to forgive you? I…I destroyed your life!” Luna asked in shock.

“For not being there for you when you were in court.” Celestia said making Luna’s jaw drop.

“What the…Tia, you were in the hospital! And even if you weren’t I didn’t expect you to be there.” Luna gasped, shaking her head. “I love you Tia, I never blamed you for anything. I blamed myself for everything.”

“Please don’t, just come home Luna.” Celestia pleaded.

“I’ll be there tonight so you better order a pizza.” Luna said hugging Celestia again, the two holding onto one another for awhile.


It was a long day not getting to spend much time with Fluttershy, but Sunrise hurried outside to meet her to see her getting into her mother’s car before it pulled off. Sighing she set off walking at a brisk pace toward her friend’s home, a little worried about it. She had been on edge all day after the panicked look on Fluttershy’s face and then her failed talk with Luna. Today wasn’t going to so well so far, but maybe spending some time with Fluttershy talking some more would help.

As she arrived at where she knew Fluttershy’s house was she was more than a little hurt and shocked when she saw Rainbow Dash sitting under a large tree out front next to Fluttershy, the rainbow haired girl holding a bunny in her lap. They looked a little too close which for some reason made Sunrise’s blood boil as questions started filling her mind. Questions like was all of this some prank to hurt her like she hurt them?

“Is this why you didn’t want me coming?” Sunrise asked with some hesitation. She was angry and hurt and wasn’t sure if she wanted to stay and confront them or run away. Maybe she was just being paranoid as she was sure Fluttershy did care about her and the two girls there had been friends for a long time except for when Sunrise ruined their friendship for a short time.

“What?” Fluttershy asked, looking shocked and a little hurt. “Sunrise, what’s wrong?”

“What’s your problem?” Rainbow Dash demanded as she pushed the bunny into Fluttershy’s arms and got up to face Sunrise.

“My problem? My problem is the flat chested egomaniac in front of me!” Sunrise snarled, her tension and paranoia building to a boiling point in her. She knew that Rainbow had been dealing with some stuff lately after the visit to the office, but her anger was getting the better of her. Something that hasn’t really happened since being cleansed by Twilight’s rainbow of friendship trick, but she just couldn’t help it at the moment.

“You better back off you cow whore!” Rainbow snarled, shoving Sunrise back as Fluttershy jumped to them and tried to separate them.

“Cow whore? Where do you even get that?” Sunrise asked, anger still filling her, but a small part of her wanted to burst out laughing at the lame insult.

“With udders like those! I’m surprised you even have much of a brain.” Rainbow snarked, making Sunrise turn a deep shade of crimson though it was more from embarrassment.

“So you’re calling Fluttershy and Rarity cow whores too?” Sunrise asked, cocking her head to the side in confusion just before she found herself being knocked to the ground as Rainbow let out a yell of rage.

“Don’t you ever call her that again!” Rainbow snarled as Fluttershy pushed herself directly in front of each of them.

“That is enough!” Fluttershy said, more angry than Sunrise had ever seen her. “Sunrise, I love you, you are…I hope…my girlfriend! And Rainbow, I love you so much to, you are like a sister to me. But I won’t put up with this fighting between you! Now either make up or don’t even talk to me!”

“W-wow.” Sunrise mouthed, Rainbow mirroring the sentiment.

“I…I’m sorry.” Rainbow sighed, looking ashamed of her actions as Sunrise also felt the same feeling. As confused as she was a few minutes ago, Sunrise was even more so now even if for a different reason. She never knew how much it could hurt herself by making Fluttershy angry or disappointed.

“I am to.” Sunrise said standing up slowly, rubbing her face where she was punched. It felt as if it was going to leave a nasty bruise and possibly a black eye.

“I…I owe you more of an apology.” Rainbow sighed, “I’ve been talking with Shy and…and I know what I thought about you was wrong. I just…have some anger problems and…and for Fluttershy I’m willing to give you a chance.”

“I’ll be happy to give you a chance to…for Fluttershy.” Sunrise said.

“Good, now kiss and make up.” Fluttershy said, giving the two a teasing smile. Sunrise and Rainbow looked at each other, for the first time coming to an agreement upon something.

“Shall we?” Sunrise asked.

“We shall.” Rainbow said, nodding seriously before the two turned to Fluttershy and began advancing menacingly on her making the shy girl squeak out in fright.

“Now girls…I was only kidding.” Fluttershy whimpered before they attacked her making her squeal and squirm as they tickled her mercilessly. Fluttershy was happy despite the ticklish torture as this seemed to be a good first step in getting the girl she could easily admit she loved and her friends together.


Sunrise was happy when she arrived home after spending an hour talking with Rainbow and Fluttershy. She had to admit she was a little upset at first when she found out that Fluttershy told Rainbow everything, though relented when they told her everything that has been going on with Rainbow and her little sister. She wanted so much to go after the man who had hurt Rainbow and Scootaloo so much, and was a little confused how Rainbow Dash could still love her father after everything.

Seeing the dark SUV sitting next to Celestia’s car made Sunrise pause for a moment wondering who could be here. Stepping inside she had to stop when she saw Luna sitting at the table across from Celestia, both women wearing casual wear instead of their suits. Luna sent her a bit of a smirk before getting up and started to circle around Sunrise like a shark inspecting her.

“So this is my niece, sister?” Luna said, humming in thought. “I have to say I’m impressed, you have a wonderful daughter who has a lot of promise.”

“Huh?” Sunrise asked eloquently as she watched Luna turn to Celestia.

“I look forward to getting to know my niece while staying here.” Luna said getting Sunrise to squeal excitedly, something she later wanted to die from embarrassment from, but she was happy. She was happy that her family was growing and that Luna seemed to be accepting her. “Though…I have to wonder why all of the makeup though…”

“All of the make-up?” Celestia asked, moving over to study Sunrise’s face knowing the girl never wore much, if any in the way of make-up. She just had a natural beauty that looked better without most of the time.

“Right here.” Luna said, rolling her eyes as she poked Sunrise’s cheek making her gasp in pain. “Seriously Tia, how could you not notice with your obsession with details.”

“What happened? Who did this to you?” Celestia asked, carefully tracing the edge of the makeup and noticing how it also covered around her eye which looked…like someone hit her.

“Let me guess, Rainbow Dash and you finally had it out?” Luna asked, sounding teasing in a way as Celestia shot her a mild glare.

“How did you know?” Sunrise gasped out to make Luna’s jaw drop.

“I didn’t…I just saw all the tension between the two of you and joked.” Luna admitted sheepishly, “Are you seriously okay though, that does look kind of worse than I thought.”

Worse than she thought was an understatement as the girl kept squirming as Celestia cleaned the make-up off to get a better look. It was a testament to how strong the girl was as it looked like it had to have hurt putting the cover up on. And now with Celetia removing it somewhat, it was easy to see how much it stung with each flinch the girl made.

“I’m okay, and no I didn’t hit back. I deserved it though…I kind of called her a flat chested ego maniac.” Sunrise sighed, “But we worked it out…I can’t say that we are friends…but we aren’t enemies either.”

“That’s good at least.” Celestia sighed.

“Well, she is you know, but you never…ever…say that to her face.” Luna said earning another reprimanding glare from her sister. “What? You know it’s true, it’s part of who she is. She’s one of our best athletes, but her ego and anger keeps her from being the best. You said so yourself.”

“Be that as it may, please don’t excuse this kind of behavior.” Celestia said sternly.

“Mom…it was away from school for one. And second, I’m happy it happened. We’re actually talking now and…I think just maybe it’s a start to making some friends other than Fluttershy.” Sunrise said as the doorbell rang and Luna cried out in excitement.

“PIZZA!” Luna cheered grabbing Celestia’s purse making the woman start to protest, but Luna was already at the door paying.

“You know…I think things are going to be interesting from now on…who knew she was so care free away from school.” Sunrise said, smiling a little as she watched her aunt’s antics as Celestia hugged her.

“Thank you for bringing her home.” Celestia whispered in Sunrise’s ear making the girl smile.

Author's Note:

Hope everyone likes the changes to the chapter, I want to thank BiomasterM2 for the suggestions and helping fix it up. :twilightsmile: