• Published 15th Nov 2014
  • 14,569 Views, 509 Comments

Goodnight Sunset, Good Morning Sunrise - Twilight Nightmare



After the Fall Formal things don't go so well with Sunset Shimmer she slowly spirals downward before hitting rock bottom, moments away from doing something she will regret when, to her, the least likely of people come to her rescue.

  • ...
22
 509
 14,569

Worst Day Ever - Part 3

The last bell of the day couldn’t have come sooner for Fluttershy as she gathered her things to leave the classroom. None of her friends were in her class, not that they were in many of her classes actually...only two, so she didn’t have any of them trying to talk to her which was a good thing. While she was okay with some of them, she didn’t really want to speak to Rainbow Dash until the girl was ready to apologize for the things she had said.

Of course the one person she wished was in her class wasn’t in it either, and she was dying to talk to Sunrise to find out what had happened in the office. She was praying that everything was okay, but she couldn’t keep her worry in check as she rushed out the door while balancing her things in one arm and fishing her phone out with the other in hopes of having a text from Sunrise…which thankfully she did.

‘Left early with mom, sorry, but she thought it was for the best today. See you tomorrow.’

It hurt a little that she wouldn’t be able to see Sunrise tonight, but she was also excited about this weekend and their date Friday. It was an official date with a meal and a movie and everything! She was so excited and didn’t think anything could bring her down. Too bad she was banned from the animal shelter for the time being, she would have loved to share the news with all of her animal friends there. Of course she did understand why she was temporarily banned from helping with the shelter, as the couple that ran it thought she was spending too much time there and needed to spend some time having fun with her friends.

Looking down as the phone vibrated, she noticed another text from her mom. Opening it up she was a little worried seeing, ‘Please come straight home, it’s important.’ She wasn’t sure why her mom wanted her straight home today since her parents knew she already had plans, or did since Sunrise had already left. Sighing she stopped off at her locker to grab her bag before stuffing it full of what books she needed for her homework. Thankfully she didn’t have a huge workload and without volunteering at the shelter, she would be done with it long before dinner.

While hurrying out of the school, she noticed that all of her friends were standing near the statue except for Rainbow Dash, which almost made her want want to stop by and at least say hi to them. Instead, she blended in with the crowd heading the opposite way and hurried off. She really didn’t feel like answering any more questions about what happened at the mall and how close she was with Sunrise. She wasn’t looking forward to explaining Sunrise’s situation to them, as the girl told her that, if she felt it necessary, Fluttershy could tell them as long as they promised not to go telling everyone at school about what happened.

Fluttershy knew the reason Sunrise told her to tell them was because she knew they were Fluttershy’s friends and they would find out sooner or later. If they all became friends it would come out, and it was better that it came out openly instead of possible rumors such as the one of her on the bridge ready to jump. Giving permission to Fluttershy meant that Sunrise wouldn’t have to relive it over and over and have to answer a million questions…but Fluttershy didn’t really want to answer them either. Still…perhaps it was for the best that she tell them a she would have a chance to get it all out as long as they listened, which sometimes they just seemed to not want to hear her.

It didn’t take too long to walk home, taking several shortcuts to make it there as fast as possible. Not any dangerous ones, but shortcuts all the same. She was afraid of taking ones that even looked a little scary, which she couldn’t help wondering if Sunrise would be afraid of them. Shaking her head as she pushed those thoughts out of her head she just hurried up the sidewalk to her door and froze when she entered to find Scootaloo waiting in the living room with Fluttershy’s mother.

“Mom? What’s going on?” Fluttershy asked as Posey was putting on her coat.

“I’ll explain it all later honey, but for now your friends Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo are going to be staying with us.” Posey said, giving the younger girl a worried look. “I’m taking Scootaloo over to Carousel Boutique to pick up some things for them. Please check in on Rainbow Dash while we’re gone…I think she could really use your company right about now.”

“B-B-B-“ Fluttershy squeaked out, unable to say anything more as Posey kissed her forehead and ushered Scootaloo out of the door. It took Fluttershy a few moments to regain her balance as she nearly fell from the shock of the news. The one person she wanted to avoid most right now was going to be living there? Letting somebody stay with them wasn’t really anything new, as they did accept foster kids until a more permanent solution could be found for them. Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo weren't foster kids though, so what the heck was going on?

A little angry, Fluttershy stomped up the stairs towards her room, passing the extra room where she could have sworn she heard sobbing. It sounded like Rainbow Dash, but the athlete hardly ever cries…much less sobbed. It couldn’t be her, could it? The door wasn’t shut, a little light spilling out of the few inches where it sat open. Pushing it open more she found Rainbow Dash sitting on the window bench hugging her knees and sobbing into them. Most of the anger flowed out of her at the scene as she slowly walked over and put her hand on her Rainbow Dash’s back comfortingly making the girl flinch.

“Hey Dash.” Fluttershy said softly, sitting on the edge of the seat beside the girl. “What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“What do you care? Shouldn’t you be out with that…that…” Rainbow Dash sobbed out, the pain in her eyes obvious as she glared at Fluttershy.

“I care because despite everything, you will always be my friend. Even if I am mad at you I love you and don’t want to see you hurting like this.” Fluttershy said, brushing Rainbow Dash’s bangs from her eyes.

“Your like a sister to me! I’m sorry if I hurt you about Sunset, but I know she’s up to no good! She has always been trouble! And I know she’s either using magic to turn you against me or manipulating you!” Rainbow Dash said, turning to look back out the window. “She’s a whore, Shy! I’ve seen it!”

“No she isn’t Rainbow Dash, so please don’t talk about her like that.” Fluttershy sighed, hugging Rainbow Dash from the side making the girl squirm until finally relenting and snuggling into the embrace seeking the warmth and comfort there. “This isn’t about her though…is it? What’s going on?”

“It is about her…I went to see Seething Voice because I could feel my anger getting out of control again.” Rainbow Dash said softly into Fluttershy’s shoulder as she rested her head against it. It wasn’t really news to Fluttershy though, Rainbow Dash has always had a temper and anger control problems that the school counselor has tried helping with. Fluttershy had tried to get her to go see Sheila though, believing the woman better suited at dealing with something like that. “Soothing Voice noticed a bruise…and it came out. She found out that my dad beats me when he gets drunk and mad.”

That news about floored Fluttershy as he had met the man more that once. He seemed like a really nice guy despite some of his more old school opinions on things. He seemed to really love Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash, and they seemed to love him to…well Rainbow did, Scootaloo didn’t seem to like him a whole lot. Fluttershy had always written it off as the girl just being mad at him over their mom leaving.

“He beats you both?” Fluttershy gasped out.

“No! Just me…usually just me. I failed to protect Scoots this last time since she didn’t call me when he was drinking. He just gets so mad when he drinks…I can take it, so I always send Scoots to her room to lock the door when he drinks and I…distract him.” Rainbow Dash said, making Fluttershy feel even more shocked. How could she have never known this was happening to her friend? Of course it could probably explain a lot like Rainbow Dash’s anger problems and the reason why she always had to be the best and took losing at anything so badly. “Sure I get banged around some…but I’m used to it. I mean I get hurt just as much from everything else I do, so a few more bruises won’t do anything.”

And that was why she never knew, Fluttershy had always thought the bruises were from skateboarding, rollerblading, karate, soccer and everything else she did. She never once in a million years would have thought Rainbow Dash’s father was abusing her. She couldn’t really comprehend a parent hurting their child in any way. It was a horrible act and Fluttershy refused to let alcohol be an excuse. If he knew he was hurting them he should have just stopped drinking.

“I’m so sorry, Rainbow Dash.” Fluttershy sighed, hugging her a little tighter.

“Please don’t leave me, Shy. I’m sorry I find it hard trusting Sunset Shimmer…but I know her kind. She’s a whore trying to do something to you.” Rainbow Dash sniffed angering Fluttershy a little. At least the girl wasn’t saying even half the things she said at the mall, but this was still pretty bad in her opinion.

“I’m not going to leave you. I won’t leave you to deal with this alone, but I need you to stop talking like that. You don’t know Sunrise, that’s her name now, or the things she’s been through. She’s been through a lot to.” Fluttershy said softly.

“I’ve seen her going to that club by my house before it burned down. My dad says that they’re all worthless whores.” Rainbow Dash said shaking a little, making Fluttershy wonder if Rainbow’s father ever said something about Rainbow Dash and that place the way the girl reacted like that. Actually, if his old fashioned views were kind of archaic and could be considered sexist and a little mean while sober…what were they like when he was drunk and really mean?

“She was going there…after starving for a week. Rainbow Dash, you have to promise you won’t tell anyone what I tell you.” Fluttershy said, unsure if this was a good idea. Sunrise had trusted her to tell her story to the others if she deemed it necessary, but she didn’t think Sunrise wanted Rainbow Dash to know. If Rainbow Dash knew maybe it would at least help a little here.

“I won’t…but you knew she was going there?” Rainbow Dash sighed, slumping in Fluttershy’s arms.

“I know everything that’s happened to her this past week and before. She’s told me everything and even went to see Sheila with me.” Fluttershy explained. “She had money, but her landlord was a creep who stole all of it when she was out after hearing about all of the people mad at her. He threw her out of her apartment, so with no money and being expelled from school, she didn’t have anything to eat. What little she had left when leaving her apartment was stolen from her not long after, so she literally only had the clothes on her back.”

“What does that have to do with…that place?” Rainbow asked softly, relaxing in Fluttershy’s arms as the gentle girl stroked her hair comfortingly.

“I’m getting to that.” Fluttershy said, “This old woman tried to show Sunrise how to survive on the streets, but she couldn’t handle it which, made the woman mad and leave Sunrise alone. After that Sunrise still didn’t get any food, and nobody would give her a job because she didn’t have the papers needed…but mostly because of the rumors about her. She was going to kill herself, twice, the second time she was about to jump off a bridge since she felt everyone would be better off with her dead. Some creep, the guy who owned that club, pulled her off the side just before she could jump off. He gave her his card and told her to come work for him and she refused…but something made her keep the card. She was starving when she finally gave in and was going to see him, which I’m guessing you must have seen her. She never made it inside to see him though.”

“Sh-she didn’t?” Rainbow hiccupped, a little shocked at the story if it was all true.

“No, she didn’t. Someone found her just before she made it into the place. Sunrise collapsed from malnutrition in their arms and they took her home and adopted her.” Fluttershy explained.

“That sounds a little too much like a fairytale ending to be true. Did you meet this person who supposedly took her in?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Yeah…both of us have. Principal Celestia took her in and even backed up her story if you must know.” Fluttershy said.

The shock was clear on Rainbow Dash's face as she resembled a fish out of water for a few moments, her eyes wide and mouth working as if to say something, but just couldn't vocalize it. After staring at Fluttershy for a few moments, she narrowed her eyes and changed gears by going another directing in trying to prove that Sunset...Sunrise...or whatever was a bad person. Or at the very least couldn't be trusted, though the argument was running out of steam very quickly.

“Okay…then what about her attacking you at the mall?” Rainbow Dash asked making Fluttershy sigh.

“If you didn’t jump to conclusions and start telling me all those things…calling Sunrise all of those things…you would have learned that Gilda was the one attacking me and Sunrise saved me from her and chased them off. She just helped me pick up my fliers when you arrived.” Fluttershy said making Rainbow Dash sigh this time.

“I still don’t trust her…not after everything that she’s done…but I guess I can give her the benefit of the doubt. And…I guess I owe her an apology. I swear though, just one wrong move from her and I’m pounding her.” Rainbow Dash said as she sat up pulling away to look Fluttershy in the eyes. “And I guess I owe you an apology to…I guess I went a little overboard.”

“A little?” Fluttershy asked, arching an eyebrow teasingly.

“Okay, a lot.” Rainbow Dash said as she wiped some of her tears away. “Please forgive me.”

“Oh Rainbow, of course I forgive you. Will you forgive me for slapping you? I…I know that you were only looking out for me, even if you were pushing it a little too far.” Fluttershy said.

“Of course I do, but remind me to give you some pointers later on how to really slap.” Rainbow joked getting a laugh out of both girls.

“I don’t think I need to, not with both you and Sunrise protecting me.” Fluttershy giggled.

“So…you really like her?” Rainbow Dash asked getting a squeak and blush from her friend.

“I’ve liked her for a long time, Dash. Even before she turned good.” Fluttershy admitted as rainbow Dash’s eyes widened in shock.

“No way!” Rainbow Dash gasped out.

“Way…I know she always teased me…but I’ve also noticed how she went after anyone else who did. I kind of always thought…it reminded me of a little boy hitting the girl he liked on the playground.” Fluttershy said, “I kind of think that was what was going on now that I know she has no real experience with friendship…much less love.”

“What about Flash?” Rainbow Dash asked, shocked by it, though she could almost see it.

“She never liked him, not really, and he always wanted…well something Sunrise wouldn’t give him so when he was going to dump her, she just beat him to it.” Fluttershy explained.

“Wow…just…wow.” Rainbow Dash said, shaking her head in disbelief. She still didn’t trust Sunset…Sunrise…whatever…but she guess she would try and give the girl a chance for Fluttershy’s sake. It didn’t mean she would make it easy for the girl though.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

“So honey, are you doing okay?” Posey asked as she drove toward her friend’s boutique. They had some things they said Posey could have for Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo since they couldn’t, or rather didn’t want to go home to get them. It wasn’t a lot, but from what Posey was told they didn’t have a lot to begin with. The only expensive thing being an electric guitar that Rainbow Dash won from some kind of contest.

“Honestly, I’m happy to be away from that man. I’m sorry, but I refuse to call him my dad.” Scootaloo said, as she watched out the window. Posey could see from the slight reflection that the girl wasn’t crying and actually seemed to be getting into a better mood. “I just hope Rainbow Dash will be okay. She’s tried so hard for so long to make him proud, but I don’t think he ever will be proud of us.”

“Why not honey?” Posey asked, driving about half of what the speed limit was so they could talk.

“Because he would rather have a son…the son he’s tried to turn Rainbow into. She’s worked so hard to prove that she could be something…and all he does is point out how she could have been better…more than once telling her she would have been even better if she was a boy.” Scootaloo admitted, clenching her fists. “He usually just ignores me because I mess up all of the time…except when he drinks then my sister sends me to the room to look the door.”

“Why does she do that dear?” Posey asked, already knowing the answer, but wanting to confirm it.

“Because she makes sure to distract him from me and…gets beat up in the process.” Scootaloo sniffed. “I’m glad we’re out of there. I promised not to tell anyone, but I didn’t so she can’t blame me for this, right? She won’t…hate me, will she?”

“Of course she won’t dear, if she loved you that much to protect you in that way, I don’t think anything in the world could keep her from loving you.” Posey said smiling over to her as hey finally reached their destination. “I promise neither of you will have to go back to him and you will be able to stay together.”

“I hope so.” Scootaloo sighed as she looked out the window wistfully.

Author's Note:

The final part to The Worst Day Ever and even though it may look like things may become great between Rainbow and Sunrise, their problems aren't over just yet. Hope you all enjoyed, ciao for now. :twilightsmile:

I wanted to thank BiomasterM2 for all of the help he gave cleaning this chapter up and all of the help he's provided on my stories and helping bounce ideas off him. Without him there would be tons of errors and maybe worse in the story lol. :twilightsmile: