• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 8,359 Views, 458 Comments

Where no mare has gone before. - Tobbzn



Rainbow Dash boldly goes where no mare has gone before...

  • ...
14
 458
 8,359

Chapter 6

Dropping off the biologist at her destination, Fauna drove on towards the control center. She didn't have time to reprimand the secretive doctors yet - the engineers had finally come to their senses and entered the accelerator tunnel after a slow night of ventilation, so there should finally be a damage report in the works.

That should be quickly handled, though, so she'd be back soon enough. Most likely, the helium leak was the reason for the experiment's failure, so she'd just have to order some more and get someone to plug the hole and fix the damaged electronics.


Flora found her way to the lab, and rung the small bell at the reception. Despite waiting a few minutes, there was no response, so she decided to walk in and have a look around. She soon found a man lying in bed, sleeping, but no doctors or animal. She didn't want to wake the man, but she seemed to be a little lost.

"Uhm, excuse me, but-"

"Can I help you?" a voice interrupted her.

Turning around, she found an elderly woman looking at her, suspicious. She still wore outdoor clothing, so she had probably just come in.

"Oh, yes, do you work here?"

"I do, and I don't think you do, so what are you doing in here? Got a medical problem?"

Sure enough, she was changing to a lab coat. Flora was a little fluttered, since the nurse had obviously misunderstood her reason for being there.

"Oh, no, I don't. I was called yesterday to help classify an animal you found here? I think the one I spoke to was called Christine or something."

"Christina, actually, and she should be at work, so if you go wait in the lobby, I'll tell her you're here."

Flora did as she was told, and after about fifteen minutes, two people came through the entrance. They were talking to each other, but as soon as they noticed her, they went silent. Eventually, as they closed in, the female one broke the silence.

"Hello, can we help you with something?"

Flora got up from her seat before replying.

"Yes, I'm looking for someone called Christina?" she explained. "I'm Flora Randell, veterinary and evolutionary biologist, and I was contacted about an interesting animal."

"Ah. Yes, that's me. I mean, I'm Christina, not the animal."

With a short laugh and a couple of handshakes, she was also introduced to her companion, Tarry, who then invited her to join him in taking a look at the animal. As they left Christina at the facility, he explained that they had moved it from the medical bay to his personal lodging in order not to spread the knowledge of it until it was healthy. Flora could understand why they wouldn't present it to the general public, but surely there wouldn't be a problem if some engineers or physicists knew?

She hoped it was just an example of nerds being eccentric, so she wouldn't have to keep everything hushed down.

Tarry turned out to live quite close to the medical station, and though the apartment wasn't very roomy, it was as clean and sanitary as his workplace. She didn't feel comfortable entering his bedroom immediately - especially since it smelled terribly of antibiotics - so she stood outside, observing. There was a small bundle in the bed, covered by a blanket which Tarry soon removed, revealing the animal underneath.

Flora couldn't help herself. In one fell swoop, she stormed in to take a closer look.


Once more, Rainbow Dash's sleep was taken from her, this time by someone pulling on her wings. She felt stronger after eating, but she barely managed to turn her head enough to have a look at what was happening.

What was happening was shocking.

One of those creatures was stroking Rainbow's pin feathers. Pin feathers? Taking another look, she noticed how her wings were featherless, her tail and coat were hairless, and her naked skin was covered in blisters.

Maybe I crashed into a really high volcano or something...

She was pretty sure the one who was pulling on her small patches of tiny, growing feathers wasn't one of the two she had met earlier, but it looked really fascinated by her. It was idly talking to the one behind it, who looked sort of familiar.

Rainbow wished they could understand each other, if only so she could tell it to let go of her bucking wing, since it hurt. Failing that, and being too weak to kick it away, she had to accept her fate as unwilling playdoll.


The veterinary had already made many discoveries about the creature that had slipped Tarry completely by.

He hadn't noticed the tiny blue pin feathers growing in patches on what had now been verified as wings, nor the fact that the skull was remarkably large for such a small animal, nor that the bones were all intact. Tarry felt a little disappointed in himself for not being able to conclude the last one by himself. He supposed he had been a little thrown off by it not being a human, and, as he recalled, the x-ray scanner in the lab had, as well.

She had been even faster than him to conclude the species of the animal, but she rejected the latin classification name Equus Pegasus, which he had suggested, saying that this animal set a precedent for a new Equidaean genus. Her reasoning was that this animal was about as similar to a horse as a rhino would be - other than the hooves and tail, it was far less related to horses than, say, donkeys were.

Clearly, it was a prime example of a Pegasus pegasus.

She also concluded that the reason the animal was so light was that it had hollow bones, like a bird. She surmised that in its natural habitat, it would just use the wings to jump like a grasshopper and escape predators, not fly - otherwise, it wouldn't have needed four legs to stand on.

At least he had gotten the part about it being a herbivore right, so the bowl of apples and water he had set forth wasn't completely wasted effort. Flora did, of course, have a better solution. She was steadfast in that the animal would need proteins to rejuvenate, just like a human would have needed after injuries such as these. With that in mind, she prepared all the beans - one of the vegetables with highest protein content - she could get her hands on, and replaced the apples with them.

The pegasus didn't seem too joyous about the substitution, but it ate nontheless.

"We found it in the remains of the ALICE detector after an explosion happened there," Tarry informed her. "We have no idea where it came from or how it got there, though. How do you think it got there?"

The biologist bore a content smirk. After a dramatic pause, she revealed her grand hypothesis.

"Magic."

Unfortunately, the moment was ruined by the pegasus farting.