• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 8,358 Views, 458 Comments

Where no mare has gone before. - Tobbzn



Rainbow Dash boldly goes where no mare has gone before...

  • ...
14
 458
 8,358

Chapter 4

Despite the community it hosted, the stargazing opportunities at the CERN complex itself were terrible - there was far too much light pollution. Luckily, if you ever tried to look up, the solution would present itself.

Tarry parked his car half-way up the slope of the mountain. That the swiss alps were so close was a blessing, not only for recreational activities such as skiing and messing with the laws of nature, but also his current endeavor.

He had never been much of an astronomer, but Christina had quite an interest, so he ended up chivalrously carrying her telescope. It wasn't strictly speaking necessary - the Pegasus constellation would be quite visible with the naked eye - but she had insisted that going stargazing without a telescope was a waste.

He didn't mind though - he supposed that meant they'd spent more time here than was needed for her proposed experiment.

"This looks like a good spot. Let's set up base here."

Christina had found a small ledge suitable for sitting on while gazing, so they set up the telescope next to it. It didn't take long before Christina had focused it, and got Tarry to take a look and "tell her what he saw." Since he barely knew anything about stars and constellations, he decided to poke fun at his own ignorance.

"Based on my expert knowledge of astrophysics, those are stars."

After a short laugh, somewhat stymied by her palm covering her face, she explained that she meant to ask which stars they were.

"Well, stand back! I think I got this. Betazed, Gallifrey and Betelgeuse?"

If not, he'd have to start using the names of famous musicians, since he had now run out of "real" star names.

"Of those, only Betelgeuse is an existing star, you know." She sighed.

Great! Now I can make a Ringo Starr pun!

"It's actually what we came here to see - the Pegasus constellation," she continued before he could figure out how to tell his brilliant joke.

Oh. Does she want to leave already, then?

"We shouldn't base our conclusion upon just one observation though." She smiled slyly. "That's not scientific. We should keep watching to make sure. That is, if you have the time?"

What a wonderfully literalist, intentional misinterpretation of the scientific method.

"I have more than enough; according to relativity, time slows down in an attractor field." He winked.


Daniel opened his aching eyes to a dark room. He assumed he was at the hospital by now, though his vision was too clouded to verify it.

"He...o?" he whispered with a wheeze. Talking was difficult, as he couldn't feel his tongue, and he had a respirator mask covering his mouth.

No response. Fumbling for his phone, he discovered not only his lack thereof, but also how weak the incident had left him. He also had some problems breathing, which was no surprise considering the time he had spent near a liquid helium leak.

He wasn't afraid, though - he wouldn't have woken up like this unless he was out of danger. Had there been complications, there would have been someone taking care of him. He trusted the doctors to have made the right call.

A few days of relaxation - a week, tops - and he'd be able to function again.

As the hours slowly passed, he pondered what he had found, and whether or not it was still alive. He hoped it was, and that he would be able to see it again soon.

While the events of today hadn't exactly been inherently positive, it was a significant change from his otherwise dreary existence. For the first time in what seemed like forever, he felt like he had been important. He had been the centerpiece of something great. He had made a great discovery. He was sure of it.

Eventually, he fell asleep with a grin on his face. And when he did, he dreamt of what he had seen.


This time, it was noise that woke her.

Her skin still burned, but her nerves had been deadened by the intensity of it, so she wasn't very aware of it unless she tried moving, and her nose had long since become accustomed to the smell. She could now open her eyes, but only by truly straining the muscles behind them could she see anything. Her attention were not on her eyes, though.

It sounded like voices were talking. Had somepony found her? The thought made her wings pulse with joy.

"Help..."

She could barely manage a whisper. It hurt to breathe, let alone talk, yet she had to call out whoever it was, so they would notice that she needed assistance.

"Help... Me..."

The voices kept talking, but she couldn't make out what they were saying. Gathering up her will, she defied her body's refusal and moved her head as much as she could. She barely moved an inch, but she was positive it had made more noise than her futile cry.

The voices stopped talking, and soon she felt something soft push against her neck. Finally, somepony had found her. She would be safe.

She wasn't sure if her tears were caused by pain or joy.


From the pegasus' pulse, it seemed to either be having a seizure or a nightmare - it was obviously very stressed. Somewhat ruining the good mood they had, he barked an order at Christina to prepare some lorazepam, which normally was used to treat epileptic fits in humans, but it was the treatment most likely to work off the top of his head.

As she ran off, he went around to take a look at its eyes. The first thing he noticed was that there was a stream of water trickling to a small pond at the foot of the pillow. He was about to lift its eyelids when they opened on their own.

For a moment, they froze and stared at each other. Gradually, the creature's facial expression turned to shock and fear.