• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 1,684 Views, 28 Comments

Elements - herpyderpy



Looming on the horizon of a modern Equestria is an evil that has come to reclaim this land.

  • ...
1
 28
 1,684

Prologue: Lull Before the Storm

Elements

Prologue: Lull Before the Storm

By herpyderpy

A small pebble tumbled past a pair of legs, rolling across a dilapidated rooftop and falling down to the streets below. The legs’ owner, a stallion, stood peering over the edge, his gaze fixed on the crowd of ponies moving through the market – chattering and laughing and eating – all taking in what the dynamic nightlife had to offer.

The mare beside him paced in a sort of circle, occasionally stopping to kick yet another pebble off the roof. “Where the hay is he? It’s been like... an hour or something!” she said impatiently.

“It’s only been fifteen minutes. And you know what he’s like. Ah... speak of the devil.”

“Hey guys, ready to go?” the newcomer said as he touched down next to the duo.

“We’ve been waiting for you. Why can you never be on time?” the mare asked, exasperated.

“Uh, big sis was going through some stuff with me,” the late arrival said with a shrug. “You know her, always telling me things I already know.”

The mare rolled her eyes. “Yeah, well... who can blame her?”

“Wha... what’s that supposed to mean?”

“You really are a pinhead, aren’t you?”

“Hey! Don’t call me that!”

“But you are a-”

The stallion that had been silent throughout the whole conversation suddenly turned around. “If you two are done bickering, can we please get going? Some of us have a family to return to, you know?”

“Yeah, yeah. Alright. C’mon, let’s go,” the mare said as she took off, followed by the sharper of her two companions.

“I... I’m not a pinhead,” the lone stallion mumbled to himself before rushing to catch up with his fellow colleagues.

---

Just on the outskirts of Ponyville was a small orchard. A simple dirt road connected the farm to the rustic town, and a small sign stood beside the gates at entrance to the property.

Sweet Apple Acres
Home of Delicious Apples and Fine Cider
Family Owned

The farmhouse was old but well maintained. Patterns of vines and leaves danced up the walls, drawing lines of purple and magenta. At the end of each tendril was a single red apple – bright and fresh against the darker tones of the wooden wall. Freshly-planted magnolias grew contently in the flowerbeds underneath the windowsills, and the light from the lantern hanging next to the front door flickered occasionally with the wind.

Inside the house, a large stallion with a red coat sat at the dining table. A pen rolled around in his mouth, back and forth, swaying like the thoughts in his mind as he studied a stack of papers sitting in front of him. The logs in the fireplace crackled as the flames burned fiercely. He appreciated the precious warmth on this cold winter’s night, as did the rest of his family.

Even though it had been a spectacularly sunny day, the nasty chill of winter wasted no time in slithering its way into the lower atmosphere after the sun had decided to retire.

The stallion’s ears perked up at the sound of hoofsteps behind him. He didn’t have to turn around to recognize those soft, light beats against the hardwood floor – a sound that he had grown quite accustomed to from his years of living on the farm.

“Ain’t you supposed to be in bed, Applebloom?” he asked.

“I ain’t goin’ to bed ’til Applejack reads me a story!” Applebloom pouted. “Where the hay is she, anyway?”

“Don’t you go usin’ that language now, you hear?” Big Mac scolded, turning around and looking straight into Applebloom's eyes. “And keep your voice down; you don’t wanna wake up Granny now, do you?”

Applebloom shrugged and walked towards her brother. “But hay ain't a bad word. Everypony says hay…. Everypony eats hay!” she retorted.

“It ain’t the word, it’s the way you’re usin’ it,” Big Mac said, maintaining his stern look. The filly countered by tilting her head and staring blankly – a stare that he knew all too well – which meant that there was no point in continuing this discussion. He let out a soft sigh of defeat before turning his attention back towards the documents on the table.

Applebloom snuggled up close, her mane rubbing against her brother’s hind legs. “Hey, Big Mac, can I stay down here with you ’til Applejack gets back?” She looked towards the fireplace as the logs made another slight crackle. “It’s dark in my room, and it’s warmer down here.”

“Well, ain’t no sense in sayin’ no now, is there?” Big Mac said with a smile. “But you gotta be quiet, alright? I got some work that needs doin’.”

Applebloom nodded and slowly made her way around to the other side of the table, stopping near the fireplace and lying down on her belly. She felt a calm wash over her as she followed the flames with captivated eyes. The way it moved, flickering and disappearing, then suddenly reigniting in an endless cycle – it was almost hypnotic.

Her short attention span soon got the best of her however, and she found herself quickly losing interest. Standing up on her hind legs, she threw her forelegs over the table and looked around. “What’cha doin’?”

Big Mac sighed again, but reasoned that it would be futile to try and keep his sister silent. It would probably only make her mad, and he knew Applebloom was never quiet when she was mad.

“I’m lookin' at our financials,” he answered casually.

“Financials.… That’s like money, right?”

“Eeyup.”

“Do we have a lot of financials?”

Big Mac cringed a little. “That ain’t how you use the word. You wanna say somethin’ like… how’s our financial situation?”

“So?”

“So, what?”

“So... how’s our financial situation?”

Big Mac could see it coming – this was shaping up to be one of those conversations that wasn’t about to end anytime soon. But as he tried to come up with ideas on how to escape this possibly never-ending exchange, the front door swung open with a light creak.

“Applejack! You’re back!” Applebloom exclaimed, tackling her sister with the biggest hug she could manage. Her interest in finance had disappeared like a puff of smoke – much to Big Mac’s relief.

“Shh, you’re gonna wake Granny!” Applejack hissed as she returned the hug. “And why ain’t you in bed, missy?”

“She wants you to read her a story,” Big Mac said with a grin.

Applejack took off her hat and tossed it at a worn, rusty nail embedded in the wall. “So, why couldn’t you read her a story?” she asked, walking towards the fireplace and rubbing her forehooves in front of the flames. “Sure is awful chilly tonight.”

“Big Mac’s voice is too… stallionly for fairytales!” Applebloom interrupted.

Applejack had to quickly put a hoof over her mouth to stop herself from laughing out loud. Across from her, Big Mac’s grin had vanished and was replaced by a look of indignation.

“I think you have a point there, Applebloom.” Applejack snickered, still trying to contain her laughter. Big Mac glared at her before muttering something inaudible under his breath.

“Alright, let me talk to your brother for a spell. Go up to your room and I’ll be there lickety-split,” Applejack said while playfully mussing Applebloom’s mane, who let out a giggle and trotted happily up the stairs, leaving the two elder siblings in the dining room.

Big Mac looked towards the clock on the wall. Its ticking hands and the stallion’s expression made Applejack realize that she had perhaps come in a little late.

“You know how it is. Time flies when you’re drinkin'. And I thought we agreed tonight’s my night off,” the mare said quickly before taking a glance at the pieces of paper that lay in front of her brother.

As her eyes trailed across the table, a colorful brochure caught her attention. Printed across the top in large, bold lettering was a line that read simply ‘The City of Gems’. And splayed across the cover was a picture of two ponies walking down a street, the surrounding buildings lit up by countless lanterns and neon signs.

Applejack furrowed her brow. “Why are you lookin’ at that stupid offer? You’re not still thinkin’ about sellin’, are you?"

“If you hadn’t noticed, we ain’t exactly doin’ too well,” Big Mac said, looking up. “And did you even look through this offer? It’s generous, AJ. They even offered us an apartment in Equinetropolis,” he explained while rummaging through the pile of papers.

But instead of bothering to look at what the her brother had to offer, Applejack sent the documents flying across the table with a sweep of her hoof. “Don’t matter how good of an offer they made! This farm here’s been in our family since Granny Smith was a little filly, and I’ll be damned if we ever give it up – especially to them pretentious Equinetropolis ponies!” She said the last part with a slight tone of hostility. “Besides, what are we goin’ to do up there, brother? Buckin’ apples is all we know.”

Big Mac paused for a moment, staring idly into space before drawing out a long sigh. “I guess you’re right. Even with all them luxuries I’m not sure if I could ever get used to livin' in a big city like that.” He started sorting the various documents on the table. “I’m gonna get some sleep. You should do the same after readin’ Applebloom her story. We got a lotta work to do tomorrow.”

Applejack pointed towards the fireplace. “You’ll take care of that, then?”

“Eeyup.”

“Alright. G’night, Mac.”

“G’night, AJ.”

As Applejack made her way to the top of the stairs, she thought about the conversation she just had with her brother. It just didn’t sit right with her. What the hay has gotten into him? There ain’t no way we’re leavin’ this place. He knows that.

Something about his behavior was bugging her, like a splinter caught in her hoof from bucking too many trees. She knew Big Mac enjoyed working the farm; she also knew that he was the kind of pony that was content with the simple pleasures in life.... What could possibly make him even think about leaving?

Perhaps it had something to do with that unicorn who came over a week ago: the one that looked far too pretty to be running around prospecting land and delivering contracts. No, Big Mac would never succumb to such impulses, especially when it came to decisions that affected the family. Perhaps he just needed a break, a change of scenery to cheer him up. Maybe I should let him go on a little holiday. He did seem rather taken with Equinetropolis.

Applejack decided that was exactly what she would tell her brother tomorrow: that she would take over the duties on the farm for a while so he could take some time off. He deserved it anyway; he was usually the one picking up the slack when she needed to blow off some steam.

She slowly trod down the hallway after reaching the top of the stairs. It was almost completely pitch black, and not a thing could be heard except for the sound of her hooves meeting the floorboards below. She moved past the first set of doors – Big Mac’s room on the left and her own on the right – and gently pushed open the door to her little sister’s room.

Applebloom’s room was much like the exterior of the house: plain, yet homely. There was a homemade chair with a pink pillow sitting next to the table in the far corner. And the dim light pulsing from the lantern on the nightstand illuminated the room, causing the shadows to constantly shift, dancing hand-in-hand with its counterpart. There wasn’t much else in the room except for a few tattered books and worn-out toys scattered across the floor.

“Finally, sis! I was about to go get you!” Applebloom said impatiently.

“I’m sorry, sugarcube. Had to talk to your brother ’bout somethin’. So, what story do you wanna hear tonight?” Applejack asked, looking down in search of a storybook among the clutter.

“I borrowed this from Twist. She said it’s a good story. It has pictures too!” Applebloom said, holding up a book in her hooves.

“Where’d your friend get this dusty old thing from?” Applejack asked, noticing the antiquated suede used for the cover of the book.

“I dunno,” Applebloom said, scooting over on her bed to make room for her sister. “I didn’t ask.”

Applejack sat down next to the filly, who handed the book over and replaced it with the plush pony that was next to her pillow. The toy was shabby and timeworn: its once-radiant red coat was now more of a murky brown. One of the buttons serving as its eye had detached itself from the socket and dangled loosely on the end of a string. This doll had been Applejack’s when she was a filly, and although most would have thrown it out long ago, it was still one of Applebloom’s most treasured possessions.

Applejack gave her sister a loving smile before reading the title of the book.

‘The Alicorn Princesses’
Based on the Ancient Tales of Starswirl the Bearded

The picture on the first page immediately caught her eye. It was a beautiful illustration of two mares, with intricately-drawn labels identifying the duo as ‘Celestia’ and ‘Luna’. At the bottom of the page was a description that read ‘Sovereign Monarchs of Equestria’.

Applebloom sat up so she could get a better look. “They’re pretty.... Hey, they both have a horn and wings!”

“That’s what they call an alicorn,” Applejack explained. She had heard of these mythical creatures before, but this was the first time she had actually seen a depiction of one.

“Wow! Are they real?” Applebloom asked, eyes lighting up with delight at the possibility.

“’Course not!” Applejack scoffed, rolling her eyes. Based on what little she could remember from history class in school, there hadn’t been a monarchy in Equestria for over five hundred years. And unicorn-pegasus hybrids certainly didn’t exist. Those were the stuff of fairytales, dreamed up by quirky artists and over-imaginative authors.

Applebloom sighed, slightly disappointed, but then she remembered the reason her sister was here. “Start readin' already!” she said eagerly, slumping back into a lying position.

Applejack chuckled. “Alrighty then.”

Once upon a time, two goddesses known as the alicorn princesses ruled over Equestria. They were very powerful ponies, each possessing both a horn and wings.

Princess Celestia, the elder of the two, was the guardian of light. Her sister, Princess Luna, was the warden of darkness. Celestia and Luna ruled with love and ardor, and everypony lived in prosperity and harmony.

Applejack flipped over the page and found herself again entranced with the drawing before her – this time with a lot more intrigue. It was of a malicious looking creature like nothing she had ever seen. The label read ‘Discord’, with the description ‘Lord of Chaos’.

The depiction of this beast made Applejack raise a brow. What in tarnation is this... thing supposed to be? She squinted as she further studied the creature’s strange form.

The first thing that she focused on was the gnarly, oversized fang that stuck out of his mouth like the remains of a skeleton poking out of the ground. She then looked up towards the asymmetric horns on top of his pony-like head. Is that... a deer antler? And a goat horn?

Applebloom – noticing her sister’s pause and expression – sat up again to look the drawing. “Whoa... what is that thing?” she asked, but received no reply. Applejack was far too distracted by her attempt to process this monstrous beast.

Discord’s limbs were also a complete mess, and only added to the mare’s confusion. Each one was vastly different from the others, making him look even more bizarre. She saw a typical equine hoof and a grotesque reptilian looking claw, among other things. They were joined to a long, snake-like body, all of which combined to form a truly strange and exotic creature. Applebloom was so mesmerized that she instinctively reached up to touch the page – as if hoping she could feel it for herself.

Her hoof appearing on the page snapped Applejack out of her trance. She cleared her throat and looked towards her sister. “Let’s keep goin’, sugarcube.”

Applebloom gave her a nod, and the mare started reading again.

But there was an ancient creature called Discord, a draconequus who reveled in chaos and disharmony. He despised the princesses for teaching ponies to love and tolerate, for it was hate and anger that fueled chaos.

Frustrated, Discord came up with a plan. He would turn the ponies against each other.

He knew the best way to destroy somepony was to corrupt the ones they loved.

Greed was Discord’s greatest weapon. He plagued the ponies’ minds with cravings of power, money, and status.

Equestria quickly fell into pandemonium.

Applejack flipped to the last two pages and angled the book so that her sister could see without sitting up. This time the picture consisted of all three of the introduced characters. The two alicorns were crouching down, eyes closed tightly in concentration, their horns firing what she assumed were magical spells at Discord.

Discord’s expression was one of disbelief and horror. It was clear from the changing tones of color that the spell was transforming him somehow.

After a few seconds, Applejack continued reading.

The princesses tried their best to reason with the ponies, but the seeds of greed sown by Discord had grown into insatiable avarice. It seemed that the lord of chaos was victorious.

But one thing Discord did not understand was the unconditional love the sisters had for their subjects, and the sacrifices they were willing to make for them.

Celestia and Luna combined their magical powers and cast an immensely powerful petrification spell on Discord – one that would last eternal.

However, the spell was not without its consequences. The goddesses had given up their immortality in order to save Equestria from total anarchy.

With Discord defeated, Celestia and Luna lived the remainder of their lives continuing to teach ponies about love and friendship. And the importance of kindness, loyalty, honesty, laughter, generosity and magic.

“The end.” Applejack closed the book and turned towards her sister, who was now snuggled tight in her blanket, still clutching the plush toy to her chest.

“That was such a cool story!” Applebloom exclaimed. “Celestia and Luna are awesome!”

“Heh, yeah,” Applejack replied, nodding in agreement – even she had been immersed in the fairytale. “That was quite somethin', alright.”

“Now, time to go to sleep.” She leaned in and kissed Applebloom on the forehead before walking towards the door.

“G’night, sis.”

“G’night, sugarcube,” Applejack said with a smile before exiting the room. She made sure not to close the door all the way and left a small gap – just how Applebloom liked it.

Some ponies and their imagination… Applejack thought to herself as she entered her own room. She had heard a fair number of fairytales in her years. The cliched plot of a damsel in distress, waiting to be saved by a hero before living together happily ever after... she never did like those stories. But this ‘Alicorn Princesses’ book was something new, it was the kind of story she could enjoy. Maybe I should check out some more books from the author.... Starswirl, was it?

She flopped onto her bed ungracefully with a quiet thump and yawned; the weariness had snuck up on her. She pulled the covers over her body and shifted herself into a comfortable position. With another yawn, she closed her eyes and quickly fell into a deep slumber.

Through the window of her room – beyond the stacks of hay, and over the picket fence – three pegasi descended from the night sky, stopping just above the front gate. The dust stirred beneath them, and the flimsy wooden sign creaked slightly as the shadowy figures gathered around it.

“This the place? Sweet Apple Acres?”

“Yep. This is it.”

“Ugh. I hate these backwater towns.”

“Let’s get to work then. The quicker we do this, the quicker we can get out of here.”

-END OF PROLOGUE-