• Published 13th Nov 2014
  • 1,380 Views, 7 Comments

Nightmare In Rainbow - IndiBrony



A short story wherein Rainbow Dash's worst fears are realised.

  • ...
1
 7
 1,380

Fear (n); a feeling of anxiety concerning the outcome of something or the safety of someone.

Author's Note:

I read this mlp writing prompt on Reddit, challenging us to write a story on one of Rainbow Dash's fears.

To make it harder, it couldn't be a common phobia, and to make it even harder, it had to be something that even Fluttershy wouldn't be scared of. This is what I came up with:

The day was already hot, yet the sky was still covered in cloud. Rainbow Dash had her work cut out for her today. She'd spent a lot of the day already bucking clouds in the west, and she had to move a cold weather front to the east before the end of her shift. Alongside her were Cloudchaser, who was busy chasing clouds, and Flitter, who was busy lining up the weather front ready for the move.

Dash's cloud-busting team made light work of the final few clouds which were lingering in the west and everything was in place to move the cold front. Her team lined up, and with collective flaps of their powerful wings, the cold front began moving east. Thunderlane, who had started a light breeze in the south, rejoined the rest of the team, giving the clouds a firm kick which started the rain pouring out, teaming down to reinvigorate the soil and plants.

With the hard work finally over, Dash congratulated the others on a job well done before dismissing them and shooting off back to her home in Cloudsdale. Rainbow was exhausted. The day had been tougher than most; creating cold fronts were always difficult. She figured she'd have a bit of a power nap before heading down to AJ's farm to chug down some Sweet Apple Cider.

The blue pegasus glided gently back to Cloudsdale where she was greeted by the familiar sight of gigantic, soft, brilliant white sheets of fluff, a breath-taking spectrum of rainbow falling between the gaps in the clouds, and the ever-present Rainbow Factory looming far above the great city.

Dashie drifted into her humble abode, rolled right into bed and fell into the land of nod without a moment's notice.

The rainbow-maned mare woke up a short time later with a gleam in her eye and a taste for cider in her mouth. She sprung out of bed, quickly admired herself in the mirror, and flew off down to Sweet Apple Acres.

However, when she got there, the whole farm was unusually quiet. There was generally much more activity down there at this time of day. Big Mac would be working the fields, AppleJack would be bucking some apple trees, even Granny Smith was absent from her rocking chair on the front porch.

Confused, RD flew a few quick laps around the farm in hopes of finding somepony, and she thought her search was in vain until she saw the door of AJ's cider cellar had been left open. She swooped down, slamming the brakes on just before entry, gliding gently, but swiftly, down the flight of stairs.

The scene which was presented to her left her horrified. Her heart slammed into her throat, her breath quickened and her muscles tightened. Her brain was working overtime to comprehend the sight laid out in front of her eyes. Her mind told her to flee, but her body was frozen in shock. She refused to believe it. It was gone. The whole lot was gone. Not a single drop of cider was to be found in the cider cellar!

Rainbow held her head in her hands, hoping that the sight would disappear, but when she lifted her head once more, the scene hadn't changed. There was no cider. Not a keg, not a barrel, not a bottle nor a jug. RD sealed her eyes shut in sheer horror and made for the stairs which lead back out, but she was stopped when she ran into something. When she opened her eyes, she was on her bedroom floor.

'Damn it', she thought. She was sleeping the whole time! Such a horrific nightmare had left her in a cold sweat, panting. She gathered her thoughts, got her bearings and peered out her window. It was getting dark; she'd overslept!

The blue mare darted out of her house with a blinding flash of colour, aimed squarely at AJ's farm. The velocity at which she flew made it difficult for her to catch her breath. She arrived at the farm in 10 seconds flat and thundered straight to the cider cellar.

The door had been left open, just like in her nightmare! Dash stopped herself in mid air, her heart had started beating harder and her eyes began to dilate. She proceeded with utmost caution; she didn't want to have to suffer the same fright twice in the same day!

As she clopped down the stairs, her shadow of doubt had been lifted, revealing her worst nightmare. The cellar was empty, completely bereft of any cider! This cellar did, however, contain an AppleJack. Panicked by the sight, she turned and grabbed AJ by the collar of her neck.

"Where's the cider?" Dash bellowed.

"Oh, uh, hi Rainbow!" AppleJack replied, startled. "The cider's been taken fr-"

"Taken?!" RD cried. "Where is it? Who took it? I need that cider, AJ! I demand to know where it is! Was it Pinkie Pie?! She's always taking all the cider! Was it Twilight? She says she doesn't drink it, but she carries a hip flask! Oh, she says it's for 'research', but what kind of res-"

AJ cupped her hand over Rainbow Dash's mouth, interrupting her. "If ya let me finish! Ah was gonna say, the cider's been taken from the cellar to th' barn 'cause somebody accidentally dropped one of the barrels in here. We moved 'em temporarily until we got the mess cleared up, an' now that th' cleanin's all done, we were just about to move 'em back down here. Fancy lendin' a hand?" AJ enquired. "I'll even let ya take one of the barrels. Harvest's been real kind, we've got plenty a'cider this year"

"Thank you, AJ. Thank you!" Rainbow Dash's tears had advanced into fully flowing water-works. "AppleJack, you are just the best friend ever!"

AJ smiled. "Ah know, RD... Ah know"

Comments ( 7 )

Cool story but...
Rainbow Dash doesn't live in Cloudsdale, she lives in a cloud house just outside Ponyville, look it up if you don't believe me.

5266029

Fair point. I'll give you that one.

I could make up a hundred reasons for why she might live in Cloudsdale in this story; be it that the story isn't canon, it's anthro, could happen either before or after show continuity... but I'm quite happy to concede my knowledge of the location of RD's house slipped my mind on this occasion, hah.

5266049 In other nit-picking news today, Applejack is only one word with one capital letter.:ajbemused: So unless you are talking about a special brand of apples carved into jacks, the name is Applejack.

But I love the story. Very well done with that.

Not gonna lie, I didn't think I'd like this because it was anthro. I gave it a shot though, and really liked it. Good job.

6173978 In all honesty, the fact it's anthro has no bearing on the story, really.

To explain; this story was done in response to a writing prompt on Reddit. At the same time, I was in the process of writing a short and badly-written AppleDash clopfic for someone else on Reddit.

The two stories weren't related to begin with, but I thought I'd cheat and use this little story as the lead up to the clop. I don't link the clopfic on this story because I find it's quite nice on its own (and many don't like clop, which might have had a negative impact on how people see this particular story), but I do link this story in the clopfic, because it doesn't quite have the build up on its own.

The clopfic started as a stupid comment to the aforementioned Redditor - involving two humans - which he took to being quite the erotic piece, prompting him to ask me to write one for real. I have no experience with writing pure pony clop, so I decided to go with human and morph both of these stories into anthro.

I don't usually write clop, and I don't think I'll be writing any more unless it's requested. The one I wrote is nowhere near my highest standard of erotica, anyway.

So yeah, this wasn't originally written anthro (and there's not much alluding to it being anthro other than the picture and the category), it just ended up that way. :duck:

And thank you for liking the story! :derpytongue2:

You write somepony earlier in the story, but you switched to somebody later. Pick one and stick to it.

6246187 I do try to stick to using 'somepony', but hell, even the show has slipped up a few times with that. It can be quite difficult to use it consistently...it can also be quite difficult to not accidentally say 'somepony' IRL, too, hah! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment