• Published 4th Dec 2014
  • 747 Views, 4 Comments

The Reconciling of Outcasts - Shadowsciver



After being exiled from equestria, a strange pony is sent to a mysterious parallel world. Can he learn what he must, of friendship and love, before returning becomes nothing more than wishful thinking?

  • ...
5
 4
 747

Masks

Sunset Shimmer

"Hey, have you heard about the new guy?" Scootaloo asked as she walked with her friends.

"What, the one that just joined the fencing club?" Sweetie Belle inquired back, shouldering her backpack.

"I heard he's a natural, even though he's only been with 'em fer a few days!" Applebloom exclaimed. "You guys think he can show us a few things? Maybe its something we'd be good at!"

Sunset Shimmer glared at the three young girls as they raced off, probably back home. It was the end of the school day, but she couldn't care less. At the moment, she was too busy seething. How dare they talk about someone else in her presence - and some nobody at that! She didn't work her shimmering butt off just to have the attention taken away from her, and she'd be damned if she let it happen right after her victory at the fall formal. Getting the other girl to step down from the running was easy enough; she just hoped the emotional scars wouldn't last. She may be manipulative, but she wasn't violent. But alas, that wasn't her problem anymore; He was. Sunset began to make her way down to the gymnasium, where the fencing club had just started its after-school sessions. Time to see who she was dealing with this time.

As she walked into the gymnasium and took her seat at the top of the bleachers, the small class of fencers, about eight or nine of them, plus the teacher, were just coming out of the locker rooms. They were all laughing amongst themselves, slapping each other on the back, but one of them caught her eye. One fencer seemed to stand out more than the rest. He was hanging near the back of the group, between two other students, talking politely. A few passing remarks got him to grin at the others, but that unmistakable air of solitude hung around him like a disease. Him. It had to be him. So, he was the one taking her rightful attention.

Well let's see what I can use against him, Sunset thought to herself, smirking and leaning back into the shadows. I shouldn't have to do anything more than tell him how horrible all his precious work is. Then i can go back to ruling this school of pathetic losers.

The young men took up positions, beginning their practice maneuvers and stretches, but her attention barely wavered from the one, and as soon as they were finished, the coach began calling out sparring partners.

"Fleetfoot, you're up against Caramel, Spitfire, you've got Lightning Dust - and please try to keep the trash talking to a minimum this time, Soarin' you and Dusk are next.." Sunset Shimmer stopped listening as she saw that one from earlier perk up. Her suspicions were correct, the one named Dusk was who she was looking for. He was bumping fists with another student at the back of the room. She recognized Soarin' - he'd spent years at the school already - but Dusk.. he was much newer. "So he is the one huh..?" she muttered to herself. "He isn't that bad-looking... Maybe ill just take him for myself... If he's useful."

As the third match rolled around, Sunset Shimmer could see the two of them pulling their masks on and readying their foils, taking up their positions in the middle of the mat that had been set out for them. Right as the start was called, Dusk launched forward in engagement, instantly getting a point to Soarin's chest and retreating back to where he had started, his movements a blur. She glanced around and saw that all the other people in the room were watching with almost rapt attention, watching that man attack his opponent with parries and ripostes, his blade dancing around Soarin's guard. After not even a minute had passed, Dusk was only one point from winning, and his opponent only had gotten a couple hits on him. A moment later, the match was over, the point of Dusk's foil resting on the ground, shaking hands with the other man. Well, she thought, a wicked grin beginning to creep across her cheeks, He's certainly, talented, ill give him that. I think i can work with this.

Sunset Shimmer waited until the class was over and everyone was on their way home before confronting Dusk, her fingers itching to have him twisted around them. She caught up to him as he walked out of the school his bag around his shoulder.

"Not a bad match in there, huh?" She commented, standing behind him, smirking. Time to do what she was good at.

He shrugged, looking back at her. "Yea, it was alright." Not a man of many words it seemed. She would have to try harder to find something she could exploit, so testing his pride would be a good start.

"Although you were pretty sloppy."

"Hmm. Well, thank you for the criticism. I'll have to try harder next time," he said nonchalantly, nodding politely and continued walking. Alright, so pride was out. Time to try something else.

"I'm Sunset Shimmer by the way. Of course you've heard about me, haven't you? I did just win the fall formal."

"Can't say i paid much attention to it. Not a huge fan of social events. Dusk Spinner by the way." He held his hand out politely, to which she refused, grinning to herself when he awkwardly turned away after a few moments.

"Well get used to hearing my name. I'm the most important person in this school, so you better be careful how you talk to me. I'm the one running things around here, but i might just have room for an..assistant. I'll make sure no one ever stands up to me or looks down at me.. or us, if you're in." She flipped her hair, looking down at him self-righteously.

"Well, alright then. And I'm sorry, but you don't have much to offer me anyway, Ms. Shimmer." He suddenly turned his piercing eyes on her, the colors in them melting together, as if they were looking deeper into her own. She could feel herself withering slightly, recoiling inwardly at the depth of his gaze. Just what were those eyes seeing, what was he hiding behind them? "And if you didn't notice back in the gymnasium, I'm not really the type to have all that many friends." His voice was low, but calm, and firm. "So trying to turn me on to whatever side you think you're on is probably not going to work." To which he walked away, turning down a side street and leaving her at the school gate.

What was that? How had he noticed her back in there? She had been sitting in the back, in the shadows, where no one was ever noticed. And what the hell did he mean by that 'side' comment!? She was fuming now, her fists clenching and her knuckles turning white as she stormed back the other way on her way home. She had EVERYTHING to offer him, and he turned her down!? She would have to try even harder to make his life a living hell, until he came crawling back to her, begging her to make him worthy of even looking at her. Those eyes of his would be weeping by the end of the week.

Author's Note:

Much thanks to Abraman for helping proofread this chapter