• Published 27th Apr 2012
  • 3,905 Views, 107 Comments

Deadliest Pony - NightmareDash

  • ...
8
 107
 3,905

Prologue: What's On Tonight?

Discord, strung lazily about his couch, flipped through channels on his TV. It was a new plasma-screen, with surround sound and HD picture. Of course, his powers gave him interdimensional reception with no blackout dates and free On-Demand movies. These same powers had also allowed him to remodel himself, or rather his petrified body, into the ultimate draconequus-cave for his miniaturized consciousness. He had struck upon the idea a few centuries after his initial imprisonment. After all, staying frozen in one pose for several millenia was both too boring and too orderly! Of course, he had to remodel after the Cutie Mark Whatevers accidentally freed him, but he considered the trade-off more than worth it.

So, now that he was back to his old, stone-sealed self, locked in seclusion in the mines below the royal palace, he had more than enough time to kill. Occassionally, Pinkie came by to visit, and they played Call of Duty. But today was not such a happy day. Somehow, despite having access to millions of channels from across the space-time continuum, he could find nothing to watch. It was a frequent problem: there were just no decent shows these days! Not to mention the good ones always got canceled. The only solution here was obvious: channel surfing. He jumped from Man vs. Food (he could gorge on the chaos in that fool's stomach!) to some endless show about a man named Truman. Apparently, people were actually entertained by just watching him live, even though he had no idea his life was scripted from the start. Discord jumped at the word scripted. All that could come to his mind after that was the DVR: his collection of ever-enjoyed classics he could always turn to in such a situation. Of course, it's contents were entirely random.

As he irrritatedly ran down the list, a small orange dot caught his eye next to a show. It meant he had a recording unfinished, and he recalled just how it became that way: It was what he was watching the second he absorbed enough ambient chaos to free himself. He had thrown the episode aside to focus on old plans for revenge, but he now realized that he was ignoring success as it stared him in the face. He just had to rip a page from this show's playbook (more like play-pamphlet) for his own use. It would pit friend against friend, sister against sister, and start a free-for-all of chaos across Equestria. And he would reign supreme in just such an environment. All he needed was a chance.

Discord turned quickly through the programming guide, looking to Canterlot Today. All of the afternoon was filled by a single block, labeled Royal Wedding/Changeling Invasion. Just perfect, he thought to himself. Equestria was being invaded on the same day his high-school sweetheart was getting hitched. Unless it's Luna, he reminded himself. Wonder who the lucky stallion was? Maybe some Griffanian king, or another diplomatic union. How petty, if it were the case. She deserved better. She deserved him. But as he pulled up the description, he found both of his assumptions incorrect: Princess Cadence was marrying Shining Armor. No international politics, no old wounds from childhood, just the overblown union of two ponies he'd never heard of. A few years ago it could've been just the same for him. A princess and her stallion, nothing but true love between them. Until the accident. Until she decided to spurn him. He had yet to make her regret that decision, but when he did, he would make her pay dearly. But Discord had to snap out of that train of thought before it wrecked at the station of his opportunity. His broken heart would have to take back-seat to his need for freedom. An invasion meant the chaos of war, especially with those shifty, gimmick-stealing changelings. It meant escape.

Yet the thought of her, an idea came to his mind. He could avenge some old heartache and watch his recording at the same time. As he flipped over to Canterlot Today, he got a clear shot of changelings smashing through the palace's shields. How convenient. After returning to his unfinished recording, he looked down to his remote, finding a button he had been just dying to press: Export show. He raised his claw up dramatically, extended his index finger, and dropped it straight on the button. Pure chaos energy charged through his body, forming a pathway between the TV, him, and the outside world. His draconequus-cave began to warp, as did the rest of Equestria. The image on the screen expanded incessantly, focusing on a small group of letters with a bright orange dot next to them. It was the recording title. It read: Deadliest Warrior.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the royal palace, Celestia, Chrysalis, and the Mane 6 were all feeling the effects of the recent reality-warping. Armies of changelings disappeared as quickly as they had arrived, as did almost all other ponies. The ground beneath them began twisting downwards, spiraling into a huge funnel to oblivion. All remaining (except Pinkie) slid down the grade into the depression; Rainbow could not muster any propulsion from her wings, nor could Twilight generate a single spark of magic. Pinkie was unaffected, however, and casually watched her friends' descent. She bent down on her knees in midair, and took off toward the center of the room in full gallop. Right as she crossed over the pitfall to nowhere, she lept up off her back hooves, bringing her front hooves together and pointing them straight down. Diving as gracefully as a Pinkie Pie could, she dropped into the hole, entering a much larger group of ponies. She splashed at the bottom as if impacting an invisible liquid (a sensation none of the others had encountered), and promptly surfaced and climbed back onto solid ground. Rarity and Applejack turned around to see the disturbance, only to find large white signs, labeled 10.0 on the front, clamped in their mouths. Both spit them out, and glared at Pinkie with absolute confusion. Their lines of sight were soon cut off, as walls of darkness rose from the ground and sealed each of them off from the others. Inside each of their tight, cubicle-like cells, a large image appeared in front of them, similar in appearance to a TV screen. The only light to be found, it quite clearly showed Discord, wearing a snazzy business suit. Their reactions to this were quite varied, but his message to them was all the same.

"Greetings, my little ponies. I want to play a game. Each of you is now on your own, so forget about all of this magic of friendship nonsense. Forget family, forget relationships, and by all means, forget love! There's no room for that if you want to survive. I am going to send you all at each other in a tournament of 1-on-1 combat. No rules, no safety, no mercy; it'll be a duel to the death every time. Thus, we will decide who is the Deadliest Pony!"

A shrill scream broke even the confinement of darkness with its shear volume, and everypony could quite easily identify where Fluttershy was in the group. This knowledge was short-lived, however, as each of them simultaneously keeled over on the ground, unconscious.