• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 1,267 Views, 87 Comments

The Misadventure Of: A Bunch Of Silly Ponies That Just So Happen To Not Be Applejack - OCisbestpony



Colgate has a little problem. That problem would be Berry's fetid breath. But as with all things, there is but one cure: An ever so very serious tromp about the jolly land of Equestria.

  • ...
3
 87
 1,267

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Two: Part Twenty

Chapter Two: Part Twenty

Colgate let out a breath. After everything that's happened, it sure felt good to lie down under the stars again. She was laying on her back with eyes to the heavens. She listened to the sounds of the popping fire nearby. She turned her head to look at it. It was no longer in its prime. Not quite dying, but not roaring with life either. If one wanted, it would be easy to get it back to full size once more, but the night had worn on, and the time for such things had passed. Now was the time to simply let it slowly burn out. She idly stared into the lively embers, and wondered just how much more they would have to go through just for that toothbrush. Granted, the toothbrush would be enough to finally put an end to Berry's breath of unholy horrors, but was that alone enough to merit everything they've gone through? Not only that, they still had a swamp to head through. She shuttered a bit at the thought. What in Equestria was waiting for them there? Giant frog kings? Lumps of moss that wanted little kisses? A living black hole that just wanted a hug? A small smile cracked across her face. That was simply silly. Then again …, she looked up once more. Who would have guessed a giant Pinkie, and a cute mark stealing griffin, to be things that could exist? Not to mention zebras and dragons and ponies and oh my! She let out a small sigh as she rolled the events of the day over in her head.


*****


First, there was the appearance of Twilight. Not long after Zecora left with that adorable little dragon in tow (she-erm-he? even tripped on the way out and landed flat on his/her face!), the princess showed up and demanded to know what happened. Well, demanded wasn't quite the right word, but she was pretty eager to know why a giant maw of madness had suddenly rent the skies asunder. Not to mention the explosions she had heard not long before it. Colgate had opened her mouth to explain the insanity as best as she could, but Bon-Bon pipped up before Colgate could even finish saying her first word. With shocking honesty and straight-forwardness Bon-Bon told her everything. What surprised Colgate even more was how completely flat and dry Bon-Bon managed to make it all sound. Twilight listened with intense interest, apparently not bothered in the least with the large amounts of inane details and lack of any good story-telling. She had managed to make it so boring, that Colgate actually zoned out and found herself daydreaming. A pity, really. Had she been paying attention, she would have caught all sorts of interesting tid-bits about Bon-Bon's and Lyra's jobs that she hadn't been told. But, as it was, she missed the whole thing, and had actually fallen asleep when she suddenly realized that she was being spoken to.

“Um, Colgate?” came a concerned voice.

“Herrggg urggg?” was Colgate's most intelligible reply (there were others, but that one was the one that made the most sense).

“Wake up!” Bon-Bon shouted.

Colgate's head shot up and her eyes popped open. She looked around in shock and suddenly realized that there were three ponies staring at her. She also noticed that her chin was a bit moist and that there was a small puddle on the floor where her head had been laying.

“I-uh, Yeah! And then the cat got it with the salad!” Colgate answered.

“Huh?” Twilight asked, her face full of confusion.

Colgate blinked a couple of times. “I, uh, sorry, what was the question again?” She looked between the three sets of eyes looking at her. There was one set missing. Where was Berry?

A sudden, and very loud, snore from near her answered her question.

“Are you okay?” Twilight asked.

“Y-your Highness!” Colgate's sense of propriety and decorum suddenly came back to her and she shot straight to her hooves and bowed, causing Twilight's eyes to shoot open in surprise.

“Please, just call me Twilight. Please?” she almost pleaded. “To be honest, I've kinda had my fill of royal treatment recently. It would be nice to just be regular old 'Twilight' for a little bit.”

“Uh, okay. Sure.” Colgate was a little confused. Near as she could tell, being a princess was a great thing, and the idea that Twilight wouldn't want to be treated as one didn't make much sense. However, she considered herself something of a friend to her, so she would at least respect her wishes.

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “Thanks. So, are you okay? Both you and Berry just, well, fell asleep. You guys must be so tired after everything that's happened.”

Colgate thought about that. Then it hit her like a mighty buffalo. Her whole body ached and her head felt all kinds of weird. She suddenly wasn't even sure if everything that had happened had actually happened. It all felt too strange, too bizarre; until she thought of some of the calamities that poor Ponyville had been hit with. Then suddenly it all didn't seem so weird anymore. Even so, it was all very strange to take in.

“I, I think so. I'm a little tired I think.” Colgate said, her eyelids gaining a bit of weight.

“Can you walk? Need any help?”

Colgate shook her head. “No, I'll be fine. Thank you princess.”

“So, why exactly are you guys out here?” Twilight inquired.

“Wait, didn't Bon-Bon tell you?” Colgate pointed a hoof at her.

“Yes, but I want to hear your side of it.” Twilight explained.

Colgate begun at the very beginning. She started with visiting Berry's house, told her everything that had happened in the crater after the battle with Pinkie, and she ended with Bon-Bon waking her up. From time to time Lyra or Bon-Bon would speak up and add a detail or embellish a fact, though Lyra did most of the embellishing … most of it. Twilight, for her part, had sat down and simply listened. Occasionally she would interrupt to ask for a bit of clarification, but for the most part had quietly sat there. When Colgate had finished, Twilight put a hoof to her chin to think.

“So, let me get this straight. You say that this griffin, who is now with Zecora, had a cloth that you and he burned that stole cutie marks? And you mean to tell me that you saw Bon-Bon absorb dozens of them?” She asked, raising an eyebrow out of curiosity.

“Well,” she paused, “Pretty much.”

“I see.” Twilight mumbled. “And you said that you're hunting for The Lost Toothbrush of The Royal Sisters so you can finally get rid of Berry's bad breath?” she asked, looking at the very much asleep form of Berry.

Colgate looked at Berry as well. She was curled up, with her face buried into the end of her tail. Colgate had actually expected to see her sprawled open and lying on her back; that's how she normally slept. She only ever curled up like this when she was really, and truly exhausted. Colgate wasn't sure why, but she did have to admit, she did look kinda adorable all curled up like that. Now that she thought on it, perhaps that cuteness was a natural defense mechanism to prevent other ponies from waking her up. If that was so, it was effective.

“Yeah.” Colgate answered simply.

“Why?” Twilight looked at her quizzically.

“Well...” Colgate paused for a moment, unsure if she should tell. It was actually kind of embarrassing for Berry. You see, everypony in Ponvyville (as well as a few other places) knew about Berry's bad breath. What they didn't know was that her breath was so bad that it actually melted any toothbrush she tried to use (or any piece of dental equipment for that matter, as Colgate found out one very expensive afternoon). While Colgate found this quite fascinating (and a bit horrifying), Berry found it to be rather embarrassing, if not a little humiliating. “I, uh...” her eyes shifted a bit from side to side, and she began to rub one foreleg with the other.

Twilight, getting the hint, smiled slightly. “It's okay. You don't have to tell me. If you two have been through this much trouble for it, it must really be important to you.” She then paused for a moment. “And you two,” she looked between Lyra and Bon-Bon, who were standing to either side of her at this point, “Why are you two here?”

They looked at her, a bit surprised at the question, then at each other. “Well,” Bon-Bon began, “I was mostly following her.” she answered, pointing at Lyra.

“And I was following Colgate and Berry mostly for the fun of it.” Lyra shrugged.

“WAIT, WHAT?!” Bon-Bon roared.

“What, you didn't know?” Lyra said, looking at her.

“NO! YOU TOLD ME IT WAS BECAUSE WE NEEDED TO GET THAT DRINK OUT OF BERRY'S HOOVES!” Bon-Bon bellowed.

“When did I say that?” Lyra asked, raising an eyebrow.

“RIGHT AFTER THEY LEFT PONYVILLE! YOU TOLD ME THAT WE NEEDED TO FOLLOW THEM AND TO MAKE SURE THAT DRINK DIDN'T FALL INTO THE WRONG HOOVES!” Bon-Bon screamed, the veins on her face, neck, and forehead all pounding and protruding like there was no tomorrow.

“Oh yeah, I did say that, didn't I?” Lyra said, putting a hoof to her chin and looking up at the ceiling. “Uh, well...” she suddenly looked rather nervous, “um … uh … ha, ha? The joke's on you?” she said, laughing awkwardly.

“LYRA HEARTSTRINGS, WHEN I GET MY HOOVES ON YOU-” Bon-Bon began.

“Bon-Bon, please, calm down.” Twilight said. Bon-Bon looked at her, an inferno raging in her eyes, and smoke shooting out of her nostrils and ears. Twilight recoiled a bit at the sight. Bon-Bon began to take deep breaths and the fiery depths of her burning hatred began to cool down.

“Y-Yes, Twilight...” she breathed.

“Now then, what's this about you absorbing dozens of cutie marks?”

“With all due respect Princess Twilight, you should ask Princess Celestia about that.” Lyra suddenly said, with a formality and urgency that caught Colgate, Bon-Bon, and Twilight all completely by surprise.

“What?” Twilight said, a bit dumbfounded.

“I'm afraid I can't discuss this matter in public. That's all I'm allowed to say.” Lyra said, her face even and rather serious. In all honesty, Colgate had no idea Lyra could be like this.

Twilight, a bit stunned, looked between Lyra and Bon-Bon. Bon-Bon's face was much like Twilight's. “W-what are you talking about Lyra?” Bon-Bon said, suddenly a bit nervous.

Lyra simply shook her head. “I'm afraid I can't discuss this in public. You'll have to ask Princess Celestia.”

Both ponies looked at her, jaws agape. “O-okay then...” Twilight finally said, “I, uh, guess I'll ask her about it. So...” she turned back to Colgate, “would you girls like some help looking for this thing? From the sounds of it, you could use all the help you could get.”

Bon-Bon held up a hoof in protest, “But, Princess-”

“Twilight, please.”

“Princess Twilight,” Twilight facehoofed as Bon-Bon continued, “You're under royal orders to be on vacation, correct?”

Twilight thought for a moment. “Well, that is true. But I could always ask my frie-”

“Princess Twilight Sparkle!” twin voices boomed as the air suddenly filled with the crack and sizzle of teleportaion magic. Behind Twilight, about half-way across the room, Colgate suddenly saw two unicorn guards appear. “By order of the Royal Counsel, you are to return to your vacation, immediately!”

Twilight turned around quickly, and looked right at them. “Wait, right now?!”

“Yes!” the two guards boomed, their voices echoing through the air and the gully (or what was left of it).

“Like, right now, right now?!”

“Yes! Right now, right now!”

“But I'm in the middle of something important! Can't you wai-”

“No! The Royal Counsel gave us authorization to escort you directly back to Vanhoover immediately! Now please, come along!” they boomed with even more booming boom.

“Well, at least let me finish talking to my friends here.” She said, turning back to the four now very awake ponies.

“I'm afraid the order was to take you in-erm-escort you without delay!” They saluted confidentially, as both of their horns began to glow.

“Ahhh!” Twilight let out a startled cry as she was suddenly wrapped in magic. “Lyra! Bon-Bon! Hel-”

And in a flash, Twilight was gone.

The two guards saluted once more. “Operative Heartstrings, Operative Bon. You have new orders!” one of them said, his voice not quite as booming as before. Both Lyra and Bon-Bon exchanged a shocked/surprised look, then saluted back at the guard. “Your orders are to assist Ms. Colgate and Ms. Punch with their mission to retrieve The Legendary Toothbrush of the Royal Sisters! This order is effective immediately!” And, with that, their horns let out a bright flash, and they were there no more.


*****

Colgate rolled over. Did that mean that she and Berry were under orders too? And what in Equestria was Lyra keeping from them? Why did those guard ponies call them 'operatives'? She didn't like that there were even more secrets that they were keeping from her and Berry. Still, ponies are entitled to their secrets, right?

And not only that, from the sounds of it, they would have to go about it alone. Goodness knows that Colgate would have loved to have Twilight helping them. What about her friends? She could always ask them for help, right?

She thought about each of them, and, in turn, thought about how each one would be fantastic to have. There was Applejack. She was strong, and had a good head on her shoulders. She'd be great for being able to talk things through. Next was Fluttershy. Colgate giggled. She didn't know Fluttershy very well, but she always seemed so nice. And she always had a way with animals. Colgate bet that she'd be great for walking through a swamp with, provided she could muster the courage to do it. Pinkie Pie would certainly keep things in high spirits, though Colgate admitted that things would be a little awkward considering recent events (not that would bother Pinkie Pie in the least of course). Rainbow Dash would be rather helpful to have along. Her never ending bravery (if not brashness) would help Colgate be able to keep moving forward. Not to mention her ability to fly (and hopefully pull them out of any sinkholes they might step into). Rarity however, might not be as helpful. But that was mostly because Colgate was pretty sure Rarity would sooner roll around in cow pies then set hoof into a swamp. Though, she admitted, she's probably not giving the girl enough credit.

So, from the sounds of it, Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Now, if only there was a way to get a message to them! She let out a painful groan. They seemed so far away. They were at least two days walking (as Colgate assumed that the teleporter was destroyed in all of the chaos) and roughly a day's (or so) train ride away. Well, perhaps Twilight could get a message to them. She found the four of them after all, so it shouldn't be too hard for her to tell her friends how to get here. Then again, those guards seemed awfully serious. Would they even let her send a message to her friends? Colgate giggled. Of course they would. It would be silly if they didn't!


*****

It took a few hours after all that happened for the questions to begin. Prior to that, the little group had simply left the gully, only talking to discuss where they should set up camp for the night (while the gully would have been fine, only Lyra liked the idea of staying there. The rest of them didn't like the idea one bit. After all, they did just enjoy a fair bit of danger there). They had also had a short talk with the remaining ponies in the observation deck, in which the four of them had decided that there was nothing else they could do. Colgate felt rather bad for just simply leaving them there, but Bon-Bon had been right. There wasn't much the four of them could do. The dragons had left (and had even apologized for what they had done, much to everypony's surprise. When asked why, they had simply pointed at Bon-Bon), and all the ponies had gotten their talents back. Even the Pegasus Ponies in the observation deck had simply waved good bye and flown off. So, the four of them had left.

They walked for a good while, the only sounds being the soft crunch of the cracked dirt under their hooves. When they started, it was roughly mid afternoon. It wasn't until the sun had begun to set and turn everything orange that somepony had finally said something.

“Colgate?” Berry softly asked.

Colgate looked over at her. They had been following Bon-Bon, as she knew how to get to the swamp from the gully (though she was a bit tight-lipped as to how and why she knew that). Colgate remained silent for a moment, pausing to appreciate the beauty of the sunset and the feeling that silence had finally been broken. She then let out a tired sigh (with the hint of a smile), and spoke, her voice sounding almost strange in her ears after such a long silence, “What's up Berry?”

“I,” she paused a moment herself, and looked down at the ground. She sighed, “I wanted to say that, I'm sorry.”

Colgate cocked her head slightly in confusion. “Sorry for what?”

“Well, I-” Berry paused once more, her voice catching, “I broke my promise to you.”

Colgate's brow furrowed as she tried to recall what Berry was talking about. “I can't … I'm sorry, Berry. Which promise?” She hadn't meant it to sound like she was insinuating that Berry had a habit of breaking promises, but … she totally had a history of breaking promises. Though, to her credit, she kept her promises more often then when she broke them. And she rarely ever broke them on purpose. So, for the most part, Berry was usually pretty trustworthy … provided she wasn't too wasted.

Berry looked at her, rather surprised. “I promised you that I wouldn't drink that thing again, remember? It was right after the whole thing at the castle. You knocked me over and shouted in my face.” Colgate blinked several times, still not quite recalling. “I was still a stallion?”

Then the bells rang. And they rang hard. “Oh wow, you're totally right! I, I forgot. I'm sorry Berry!”

Berry shook her head, “It's alright. Anyway, I'm sorry. I broke my promise. After I saw that griffin take you, I...” she paused, almost not able to say what came next, “I tired to throw the bottle away. I really did! But, I drank it. I drank the whole thing...” she dropped her head low, and Colgate thought she could see tears forming around the bottom of her now-shut-eyes.

“Good thing too.” Bon-Bon suddenly said, prompting a surprised response from both Berry and Colgate. “If she hadn't, your rescue would have been impossible.” The two of them looked at each other, then at Bon-Bon, who was looking back at Berry. “Sorry, I shouldn't butt in.” She turned her head around and looked ahead.

“Wait, what happened?” Colgate asked, looking at Berry.

“She basically destroyed one of the passenger cars trying to rescue you.” Bon-Bon said.

Berry's flushed and her face filled with a crimson mix of shame and shock. “I-I...”

“Wait, wait. Let's start over. Berry, why did you drink it?” Colgate asked.

Berry looked once more to the ground, “Because I was scared. And I knew that if I did, that … that I might...”

“Be able to help?” Colgate ventured. Berry simply nodded. “Berry, I forgive you. I always have. I know that you never mean to break your word, most of the time. And, in this case, I think...” Colgate paused, not wanting to say what she wanted to say next. “I think you did the … right … thing. Well, I don't know if it was the 'right' thing, but I think you did the best thing that anypony could have done.”

“But, you said that you were scared, and mad at me!” Berry objected. This time, Colgate's head dropped. It was true. Now that she thought on it, she had screamed right in Berry's face. Not to mention cried and pleaded and told Berry just how scared she had been. The whole thing at that castle had been too much, and she had taken it all out on Berry. And even this whole thing had been a major overload, but at least this time she had several hours to sort it all out.

“I know. Look, Berry, I have to say I'm sorry too.”

“Why? You didn't do anything wrong.” Berry said, confused, and still not far from tears.

“Yes I did. I couldn't handle was was going on when I did all of that, so I took it all out on you. I was scared, confused, and I didn't know how to deal with it all. So … I let it all out on you.” It was now time for Colgate to close her eyes and feel the sting of tears in her eyes. “I feel awful, simply awful. I made you make a promise because I was scared. And I'm sorry...”

“Colgate...” Berry said, reaching out a sympathetic hoof.

“No! I put us all in danger!” Colgate suddenly bat Berry's hoof away as unbridled guilt flooded her. “All of this happened because I was selfish! I was the one who made us leave Ponyville! I was the one who made us stop at the castle! And if it wasn't for me, we would have never had to deal with these awful bandits! It's all my fault!” Colgate cried, as she fell to the ground and covered her weeping eyes.


*****


Bon-Bon and Lyra exchanged worried glances as shades of Berry's breakdown passed over their eyes.

“Lyra, let's set up camp here. I think it would be best if-” Bon-Bon began.

“-we let them work this out?” Lyra finished. Bon-Bon nodded. “Yeah, I think you're right. I'll go see if I can find some firewood or something.”

“I'll set up camp.” Bon-Bon said, more to herself than anypony else, as Lyra headed off.


*****

As Colgate sat there, weeping, Berry's own mind began racing. What just happened? She was the one to blame for all of this, not Colgate! If anything, Colgate's the one that she should be apologizing to! Berry's mind was in a bit of a fog. Still, on some level, she understood what was going through Colgate's mind. She understood all too well the feeling of blaming oneself, despite whether or not one was actually at fault. She knew well the crushing guilt that poor Colgate was feeling. And, she knew there was only one thing to do about it.

Take a drink.

But Berry refused her impulse. Yes, Colgate had forced her to make that promise, but even Berry realized that Colgate was right. Not just about the brew that Berry now seemed stuck with (which, at her thought, conveniently popped into existence right next to her hoof [she glared at it and gave it a good kick]), but her life in general.

“Colgate,” Berry began, “it's alright. None of what happened was your fault.” She laid on the ground in front of Colgate, and placed a hoof on her shoulder. “Look, you're only trying to help. And nopony's perfect, but your heart is in the right place. You didn't know that getting the toothbrush would be so dangerous, and neither did I. And even if I did … if we did, I'd still want to do it! And I'd still want to do it with you!”

Colgate stopped crying for a moment, and peeked at Berry through her forelegs, “W-why?” she sniffed.

“Because you're my best friend!” Berry smiled. “And this is really important to me, and you. Colgate, I know now why you really want me to get this thing. You just want me to be happy, and I can't be happy if I don't change. I mean, the toothbrush won't be the fix-all that changes everything, but it's the first step, right?” Colgate meekly nodded. “To be honest, if I had known that this would be so dangerous, I woulda asked more ponies to help out, but I still wouldn't want anypony else by my side. So...” Berry paused a moment, “Thank you Colgate. Thank you for everything. Even if we don't find the brush, at least you've helped me finally see why I needed to change. And that, more than anything, has made this trip worth it. So, thank you.”


*****

There were times Colgate hated Berry. Particularly when Colgate wanted to feel terrible. Granted, she never really WANTED to feel bad, but you know, there are times when one just wants to wallow in guilt and sadness as penance for one's wrongdoings. But Berry was one of those ponies who simply wouldn't have any of that. Oh no, she was one of those ponies who breaks down the door, throws open the windows, tears off the blinds, and drags you out of the house and into the bright, happy sunshine; all to cheer you up (the one day, the ONE DAY, Colgate finally let herself have a few too many cocktails, Berry did exactly that. Those were expensive blinds too!).

And this was one of those times.

And that was exactly why Colgate liked Berry so much. Well, okay, one of the reasons. Berry was actually a ton of fun to be around, and an excellent host. And, if she had only a few drinks (that is, before noon), she was lovely to talk to. Truth be told, she was an awesome pony to know. And she was the pony that Colgate needed at that moment more than any other. And this was the very reason why Colgate did what she did.

She hugged her. She hugged her and refused to let go. And she hugged her back.


*****


So. Much. Hugging.

That's what was passing through Lyra's mind when she got back. Her haul had been pretty decent, what with finding what must have been somepony's old stash (the poor chap, though neither he nor Lyra knew that she had run off with it before he was done with it) of firewood. It was even chopped up and sorted into nice piles by size and type of wood (though that was more by chance then choice, as the maker of said piles was woefully undereducated on the subject of tree biology). That aside, Lyra's eye were wide when she saw the two of them hugging like that. It also conjured conflicting feelings. On the one hoof, it brought a small tear to her eye, and made her want to join. On the other, she knew that hug was meant for two.

So, doing her best to ignore the two of them, she walked over to where Bon-Bon was busy finishing up their camping sight. She dropped the wood pile next to the fire pit Bon-Bon had made, and began placing small sticks into the pit itself.

“Sooo,” Lyra began, as she struck a match (one of the many provisions Bon-Bon had [more or less] purchased from Dodge before they left) and began a small fire, “how long have those two been like that?”

“For some time.” Bon-Bon shrugged. “I stopped paying attention after it became clear that they weren't gong to move anytime soon.”

“Do you think we should do something?” Lyra asked as she carefully placed a few slightly larger sticks on the budding fire.

“Like what?” Bon-Bon looked at her with an inquisitive look.

“I dunno. Pull them apart?” Lyra shrugged.

“Why?”

Lyra blew slightly on the base of the fire to give it a bit of a boost, “I dunno. I mean, what if they fall asleep like that? I mean, falling asleep while sitting up like that doesn’t feel good come morning, I can tell ya that.” The fire was coming along nicely, which fact pleased Lyra.

“No, I think they'll stop soon enough. Besides, they've had a tough couple of days.” Bon-Bon said, casting glance at the two.

“Wait wait wait wait, what did you just say?” Lyra asked, one half surprised, one half rather pleased.

“I said I think they've had a rough couple of days, so we should just let them be.” Bon-Bon shrugged.

Lyra cracked a huge grin. “Bon-Bon, was that,” she paused, her grin becoming slightly devious, “sentiment I just heard?”

Bon-Bon blushed slightly, then gained an indignant look. “W-what? N-no! I'm just thinking practically, that's all! They need some rest, and they won't be going any further like that.” Bon-Bon nodded firmly, then let out a sigh.

“Uh huh, and that's all there is to it?” Lyra asked, not buying it, but clearly amused.

Bon-Bon's blush disappeared as she looked once more at the two hugging friends. “You know, I think I finally get what Princes Twi-” she paused, “Twilight and her friends have. I mean, I never really got it before. But, looking at how those two have been acting through all of this, I think I finally get it. I mean, you and I go way back, but our relationship is, well, different.”

“Well, when you've been assigned to spend all your time with another pony, I guess that kinda affects how you look at things like friendship.” Lyra mused.

“How long has it been Lyra? Feels like forever.” Bon-Bon said, looking off into the distance.

“At least 7 or 8 years, if not 10.” Lyra said. It had actually been 12 years, but Lyra knew that Bon-Bon wouldn't know about, or at least remember, the first two years they knew each other. Then again, that was a very different Bon-Bon.

“Lyra,” Bon-Bon's tone suddenly got serious, making Lyra suddenly a little nervous, “what happened to me? Why did all of those cutie marks fly into me?”

Lyra knew this was coming. She had been filled with dread ever since they left Deadmare Gully. Despite all of her training, her oaths of silence, and conditioning, she knew that saying no to Bon-Bon might prove to be too much for her to do. “Bon-Bon, I...” Lyra trailed off. She didn't what to say what she was supposed to.

“Lyra,” Bon-Bon's tone changed slightly, she was still serious, but there was an understanding in her voice, “I understand. You're under orders to not say anything, and you've always been good at keeping your word, but...” Bon-Bon shook her head slightly. “I just … this is personal. I mean, You've been there, with me, since the very beginning. And I respect you and your job. But...”

Lyra could see the conflict in Bon-Bon's face. She really wanted to know what happened, if not why, but she also understood that it was important that Lyra say nothing. Well, she understood that is was important, but not quite how important it was. After all, they were both professionals, and both of them had been sworn to many a secret. But this particular secret was, well, Lyra had been taken to a separate chamber and, under the words of the Princess Celesita herself, swore that she would never speak about it. The only pony that was allowed to, was the Princess herself (and later Princess Luna, as well as Princess Cadence as Lyra found out one costumed-covered night in Ponyville [that was a rather awkward conversation, as Princess Luna didn't know who she was at first {she almost got thrown in prison for mentioning it (It was, or rather, is, an important secret after all)!}]).

“Bon-Bon, you'll have to ask The Princess about that...” Lyra almost said. Almost. What came out was a bit different, and made Bon-Bon's eyes shoot open, and her head to suddenly jerk and look at Lyra. What she said was: “Bon-Bon, you're not the pony you think you are, in fact, you're not even a real pony...”

Lyra had said that with a tone that was far too casual for such a statement. In fact, she had shrugged as if to say, 'no big deal', or some such thing as she said it. One would think that something as serious as that would merit a bit more reverence, but, sadly, Lyra and reverence didn't always come hoof-and-hoof. Still, perhaps it was this very lack of reverence that caused Bon-Bon's reaction to be surprisingly calm. Not that it was the very definition thereof, but it was much more so then one would have expected.

“L-Lyra, what are you talking about?” Bon-Bon asked, her voice unsteady, with a fair bit of fear in it.

Lyra's eyes shot open in surprise. Did she really just say that to Bon-Bon? Oh no, this was not good. Nope, nope, nope. This was very, very, very, very bad. How bad one might ask? Bad enough for Lyra to suddenly be very, very afraid of what might happen if Princess Celestia found out she just said that.

“Uh, well, I mean, you are. That is, you are a pony,” Lyra said attempting to cover her tracks with an awkward smile, “just … well … I mean...” Lyra had to choose her next words very carefully. “You're just not a pony in the traditional sense...” Well, THAT certainly wasn't the wisest thing she could have said.

“Lyra...” Bon-Bon's voice was rather shaky, but Lyra could tell she was trying her best to keep it together, “please...” despite Bon-Bon's best efforts, Lyra could see tears beginning to form in her eyes. “I-I need to know, what are you talking about?”

Lyra bit her bottom lip. She had just messed up, big. What could she do? What should she do? Should she just tell her? No, she wouldn't do that. However, there was one thing she could tell her... “Bon-Bon, do you remember when we first met?”

She seemed taken aback by the question. “Wha? Why are you asking that?”

“Do you remember?”

Bon-Bon shook her head. “No, not really. I remember...” she trailed off, trying to remember something.

“Well,” Lyra began, “to be honest, you can't. That part of you...” Lyra braced herself, for she was not expecting this to end pretty, “That part of you, the part before we, um, 'first met', well … it doesn't exist anymore. I mean, it does, but I knew you before we 'first met', and that Bon-Bon, the Bon-Bon I knew then, doesn't really exist anymore.”

To say that Bon-Bon's face was confused (as well as scared) would be a bit of an understatement. “W-Wha-”

“What do I mean when I say that?” Lyra finished for her. “Look, I won't, and can't, say much more. Just that you're not really the Bon-Bon that you think you are … or were...”

Bon-Bon swallowed hard. Lyra knew what was going on through her head. She knew Bon-Bon wanted answers. Lyra couldn't blame her. However, more then she, Bon-Bon knew well the importance of keeping one's mouth shut when one's job demanded it. It was a terrible struggle, and Lyra could read each moment of it on her face. Finally, Bon-Bon asked, with great difficulty: “What should I say to Princess Celestia?”

“Tell her...” what to say to her? That Lyra screwed up? That the biggest secret she had ever been entrusted to keep just slipped out? That she had just one job, JUST ONE JOB, and she- “Tell her: You no longer remember our first meeting, or that you can't recall...” Lyra had hoped that she would never have had to say these words to Bon-Bon, “That you can't recall the details of your birth.” Lyra winced as she said that.

“I don't under-” Bon-Bon began, but stopped when something dawned on her, “I see. It's a code phrase, isn't it?” Lyra nodded. “I see. Very well. I shall send a report as soon as I can, and I will say just that.” Bon-Bon's professional demeanor came back, and Lyra felt a bit of regret that Bon-Bon was forced to bury her feelings. Still, they were both professionals, and they both understood the price that said (part-time) profession came with.

Still, Lyra was glad that was over with, for now. She knew Bon-Bon would never bring it up again, but she knew that the Princess would have a few words for her, if not a dungeon cell or two. It was a pretty big secret. Big enough that Lyra had even spoken out of line when she had been told about it. She had objected to it, and thought the whole plan far too risky. But still, she was in no position to argue, and The Princess had brought up a really good point.

Lyra shook her head. It was a good idea to stop thinking about it, or else something else might slip out. “But yeah, it's been awhile, hasn't it?” Lyra said with a bit of a grin.

Bon-Bon's lack of enthusiasm killed it. It was clear that she was not in the mood for such talk anymore. Lyra let out a sigh. It was a shame. Lyra actually rather liked reminiscing, and she and Bon-Bon had a lot to reminisce about. She turned to the now dying fire. In their talk, she had kinda forgotten about it, and it was nearly dead. Calmly, she picked up some small sticks, stacked them carefully over the embers, and blew gently.


*****

That was one long hug, but they had both needed it. They had both needed to know that the other had been there for the other, and that they both were going to be there come what may. They both needed to say so much to the other, but neither quite had the words. And where words failed, friendship filled the silence. Goodness knows that life ain't easy, but it's much easier when you have somepony you can share that with.

Though, to be brutally honest, Colgate coulda done without the slight whiffs of Berry's breath that she got from time to time. It didn't kill the mood per-say, but it didn't exactly help either. Still, after all this was over, hopefully such things would be a thing of the past.

At least, she sure hoped so. Colgate looked over at the sleeping form of Berry. She had been right. The whole reason they were doing this was because Colgate had seen how unhappy Berry was, and wanted to help change that. She knew that one magical toothbrush wasn't going to change everything at once, but like Berry had said, it would be a step in the right direction.

She smiled. As the events continued to roll along in her head, she thought of the conversation she and Berry had after that very, very long hug...


*****


As they let go of each other, they held each others hooves and smiled. They then let go, and stood up. Berry looked over to where Bon-Bon and Lyra sat, both staring into a campfire. “So, I guess we're camping for the night?”

“I guess so.” Colgate replied.

“So, I guess we're both sorry for everything, huh?” Berry giggled slightly.

Colgate smiled despite herself, “Yeah, I guess so.”

“So, wanna know what happened?” Berry asked, somewhat excited to relay the tale. After all, it wasn't everyday she got to be a badflank!

“Sure. So, what happened?” Colgate asked as the two of them picked their resting spots for the night. Berry didn't know how Bon-Bon and Lyra did it, but somehow they always knew how to make sleeping on the ground only mildly uncomfortable.

“Well, let me tell you...” Berry began. She wasn't the best storyteller in Equestria, but she knew how to tell an entertaining story. After all, having a skill like that was invaluable at parties! Though, it was a bit harder without having 'primed' herself as it were. Still, she loved to spin a good tale, and she skipped no detail as she told Colgate all about how she had been yanked out of a window, or how they had made a train fly through the air, or how she had run for hours straight without even feeling tired. At first, she had been a bit self-conscious about her being a stallion (and the destruction she had caused while like that), but as she got swept up in her tale she found herself describing the experience almost like a superhero transformation, and she didn't stop when they met up with Colgate. Oh no, she kept on going. She described in heroic detail their brave rescue of her, only to have her whisked away from under their hooves! She recalled the long journey back to Dodge, and their reunion with Lyra. With grand overtures and gestures she told of how they had been ambushed by Cherry Jubilee’s army and how Lyra, master negotiator that she was, not only convinced them that they were friends, but to join forces in putting an end to the foul forces of the great, evil, pony-enslaving griffin! Colgate did have to admit, she did find that part impressive, though she did look at Lyra and Bon-Bon to see if they would react one way or the other to her claims. Oddly enough, the two of them simply sat there listening to Berry. Not a word was said. Not even when Berry began telling about the great battle upon the plains, nor did they react when they were ambushed by a songstress who's music wove magic most foul. So, Colgate had to more or less take it on her word. Though she couldn't help but notice that Berry had begun to take a few liberties when they had finally met up with her. After all, she didn't recall engaging in a personal duel with Cherry to prove who was worthy of leading her mighty army, while the very earth behind them erupted from the force of the mighty battle that raged in the treasure chamber. Thankfully, she finally took a breather when they had flown from a cave that higher then an armada of Pegasus Ponies could fly.

“I, uh, think we got it Berry. I was there for everything else.” Colgate said, raising a gentle hoof.

Berry's breath was cut short by that, and a pang of sadness hit as she realized that she wouldn't get to finish the story. Oh well, perhaps another time. Or, at least, it'll make for a great story for the next party she'll end up at! “So, yeah. I guess that pretty much sums it up.” Berry had been careful to omit the part where Bon-Bon had basically blown her and Lyra's cover. She realized that it had been a mistake, and figured that they were hoping that they could trust her to keep quiet about it (a hope that they did indeed have and, by the looks of it, a hope they had well placed).

“So, let me get this straight.” Colgate began, “You can just make that bottle appear out of nowhere? Just like that?”

Berry grimaced, but nodded. “Pretty much. I mean, I didn't know it could, or would do that. And I have no idea how it happens. I mean, I just kinda think about it, and-” **pop** “-it just kinda appears...” she looked down at it, it having appeared on the ground in front of her as she spoke.

Colgate looked at it curiously. “Is it getting easier and easier to do? I remember you kinda had to really think about it last time you did that.”

Berry thought about that. “I don't think so... You know, what I think it is, is it pops up when I'm not really thinking about it, but if I want it, then I kinda have to think really hard. I mean, I'm not a unicorn, so I have no idea how this summoning thing works. All I know is that I just have to think about it, and there it is.” She picked up the bottle and held it in the air for emphasis.

“Huh. And you said you don't get tired while you're a stallion?” Colgate asked, her face furrowed in thought.

“Doesn't look like it. I also feel really, really freaking strong, like, I could have lifted that train kind of strong.” It was mostly true. While like that, Berry felt a good bit more aggressive, as well as more of a prankster. And sure, she didn't really get tired while she was like that, but afterward, she felt dead on her hooves. As for feeling strong? Well, she didn't feel strong per-say, but she did recall that slamming the ground hard enough to make a train jump into the air seemed as easy as picking a flower or something like that. And if it was easy to do that, she could only wonder what else she could do...

No. She was not taking another drink of that thing so long as she liv-

“Berry, I think you should drink it.” Colgate said.

Berry's jaw dropped. “What?!”

“I don't like the idea, and I can't force you, but, to be honest, I think it would be a good idea.” Colgate said, looking at the ground, looking as though she had just eaten something sour.

“W-why? When?” Berry couldn't believe her ears. Sure she could see perhaps Bon-Bon or Lyra saying that, but Colgate?! If anything, shouldn't she be the one telling her to not drink it?

“Think about it. The past two places we've gone to have been really dangerous, right? And if it wasn't for the fact that you were a stallion, we might not have made it out okay. And we're about to head into a huge swamp. If our luck holds out, we'll need you to be a stallion more then ever! Not only that, now that I think about it, we'll need you two to take a drink as well.” She said, pointing at Bon-Bon and Lyra, who simply exchanged a glance with each other. “Lyra's ability to shapeshift and Bon-Bon being a commando-”

Bon-Bon let out a snort and rolled her eyes, “I've told you, and every other pony out there, I'm not a commando! I'm not one, nor have I ever been, and if I have any say in it, I never will be!”

“Uh, pretty sure you were one back in that gully.” Lyra said, “Just sayin'.” She cracked one of her famous grins as she pointed that out.

“Doesn't count!” Bon-Bon shot back, crossing her forelegs and giving an indignant snort.

“Uh huh, suuure.”

“Uh, anyway, with Bon-Bon becoming whatever that was, I think our best chances for getting through that swamp will happen if we bring everything we've got to it.” Colgate said, pointing a hoof at the bottle.

“I-that kinda makes sense...” Berry said. “But...” she did not want to be like that again. Colgate may have had a point in what she said, but the fact was, Berry didn't want anything to do with this horrible bottle anymore!

“You know, Lyra,” Colgate turned to her, “How did you know that Bon-Bon here would turn into that?”

Lyra simply chuckled. “I didn't!”

A gurgling noise suddenly erupted from Bon-Bon.

“Huh?” came both Colgate and Berry's response.

“I guessed that's what would have happened!” Her famous smile showed all of them just how white and clean the whole lot of her teeth were (Berry noticed that Colgate couldn't help but stare at them, her eyes wide in admiration). “That bottle makes you into the opposite of what you really want to be, right? So, since I know how much Bon-Bon here HATES,” she leaned in closer to the two of them, “(spoilers: she really, REALLY hates it!) being called a commando, and wished ponies would stop saying that about her, I figured the drink would turn her into one. And if I was wrong, well, I guess we'd all be cutie markless right about now.”

“You wagered our welfare on a guess?!” Bon-Bon said.

“Pretty much.” Lyra shrugged. “You have any better ideas?” Bon-Bon got quiet. “Sorry to have done that to ya, but I figured that it was our best chance out of that jam.”

“I suppose I can't blame you...” Bon-Bon said. “Still, forcing a drink into a pony's throat? That was reckless!”

“Bon-Bon, it's me we're talking about here.” Lyra said, casting a side glance at her.

Bon-Bon let out another snort, but said nothing more.

“So, wait, you're basically telling us all to get drunk off of a magical transformation brew before we walk into a dangerous swamp that's probably full of monsters?” Berry asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Well, when you put it like that...” Colgate said, trailing off.

“I agree.” Bon-Bon said, much to the surprise of everypony else. “Given that each of us, minus you Colgate, gains some kind of useful ability from this drink, it might indeed be a good idea if we use it to prepare for the worst. Not only that, I doubt we will be getting any back-up, so I think we'll need all of the help we can get.”

“So, are you saying that Colgate should take a drink as well?” Lyra asked.

Berry saw Colgate suddenly recoil at the idea. “You know, I think if we can avoid it, we should. I mean, we don't know what this thing really does, and I think it'd be best if we stuck to what we know, ya know?” Berry said.

“Aww, no fun.” Lyra kicked at the dirt.

“Fun is not something we need to consider right now. But I think that is also a valid point. Since we don't know how Colgate would react, we should avoid it, if at all possible. And if it should come to that, I think it would be best to do it in a controlled environment.” Bon-Bon explained.

“So, like right now?” Lyra said, rather hopeful.

Berry saw sweat beads form on Colgate's forehead. On the one hoof, she totally wanted Colgate to do it. She was dying to see what would happen. On the other... “Well, it's my drink, right? So I say, Colgate,” Berry turned to her, and with all the air and pomp of a selfish child said, “You're not allowed to drink it! Because it's mine and I say so!”

The relief on Colgate's face was instant, and made Berry feel good. “Thanks Berry.” she said.

“No problem.” Berry replied, with a smile.

“Spoil sport...” Lyra grumbled.

“So then, are we agreed? Are we going to head into the swamp under the drink's power?” Bon-Bon asked, looking between Berry and Lyra.

“I'm cool with it.” Lyra said.

Berry looked at the ground. “I-I need to think about it...”

“Alright. That's fine. If you don't want to, we're not going to force you.” Bon-Bon said. Berry smiled as she saw the other two nod in agreement (even if Lyra's face had 'Drink it!' written all over it). “That said, I think it would be best if we waited until we actually reach the swamp tomorrow. I don't see any point in drinking it right now.”

“That's boring, but makes sense.” Lyra said, lying down to fall asleep.

“Then it's agreed then?” Bon-Bon asked once more. All three of the other ponies nodded. “Good. On that note, good night everypony. We'll need it.”

“Not just yet Bon-Bon, Lyra.” Colgate said, “I want to ask you guys a question if I can.”

Both ponies looked at each other, then at Colgate. “Uh, sure, what's up?” Lyra asked.

“Why did those guard ponies call you guys 'operatives'? And what's this about you getting orders? And lastly, what happened to Bon-Bon back there?”

Welp, so much for Berry trying to keep what they told her under wraps. Oh well, at least she tried.


*****

She still couldn't believe that she had suggested that. Of all the ponies to say that, her? She sighed. Well, hopefully the bottle won't actually be necessary, and the four of them will be able to get through the swamp just fine. After all, seeing each of them like that was scary in its own way. Watching Bon-Bon single hoofedly battle 6 dragons, in addition to taking out a small army, was pretty scary. Awesome, but scary. And sure Lyra's transformation abilities came in hoofy, but it very was disconcerting to watch it happen. Not to mention actually seeing that really weirdly shaped thing she changed into was all kinds of offsetting. It was all rather unnerving to be honest about it.

Then there was Berry. Or rather … what name did she tell Zecora again? Oh yeah, Wheat Brew, or something like that. Berry being like that was the most disconcerting of all. Not only because her best friend became a dude, but the stallion of her dreams. Everything about Wheat was perfect. He was big, handsome, brave, and had such a magnificent coat. She even really liked his mane. Not only that, his voice was deep, and all kinds of coltly. Even his movements were memorizing. She could recall watching those mighty muscles moving, rippling, under his skin.

She shook her head. 'Get a grip!' she told herself. She had been under the influence of mind control before, and she could feel much the same kind of magic when she looked at Berry while she was like that. It was the drink playing games with her. It was the drink that made her look at him like that, right?

She slid her head along the ground to look at Lyra and Bon-Bon. While she was very happy to have those two along, what they had told her about being spies had very much unnerved her. Sure they were only part-time spies, but that didn't make the fact much better in Colgate's mind. Nor had the fact that they hadn't been fully honest with them. Though Colgate at least understood why. After all, one doesn't go around announcing one's profession when one's profession is a spy. Though, to their credit, they didn't tell her who they worked for, or exactly why they were ordered to assist them (not that they had any idea anyway). And when Colgate asked about what happened to Bon-Bon? Lyra simply shrugged and said 'You'll have to ask Princess Celestia about that.'

It wasn't long after the pause in the conversation that had caused, that the other three had finally fallen asleep. Colgate envied them. She wanted to fall asleep, but her mind was far too busy to allow that. Now, she did know a useful spell for putting ponies asleep (after all, it is much easier to yank teeth out of the head of a sleeping pony then it is an awake one), but it required a separate spell to awaken them. And since Colgate doubted that Lyra knew said spell, she felt it wise to not use it on herself (last time she did, she slept for three days straight. Though she did feel amazing after she finally woke up [we'll just ignore that fact that the only reason she ended up waking up was because Twilight learned the spell in order to pull poor Colgate out of her magical slumber!]!).

She also didn't want to fall asleep (well, okay, she did, but at the same time she didn't). So much had happened, and she wanted to sort it all out in her head. Hard to do while one was sleeping. She turned once more, this time back to the stars. She began to list the names of the constellations she could think of, but, alas, she could think of none.

And what about that map? Didn't somepony say something about it working like Berry's drink? Colgate couldn't quite recall. She placed one of her forelegs across her forehead. If it does, does that mean it changes ponies? Or was it that she could summon it? Was it basically indestructible? She didn't know. Then again, there were a lot of things she didn't understand about this trip.

“Hey, Colgate...” came a voice that she was very familiar with, and one that she shouldn't have been surprised to find still awake.

“What's up Berry?” Colgate asked, still looking up.

“So, you're not mad at me?”

Colgate yawned as fatigue finally began to set in. “Not at all.”

Colgate heard a happy sigh, “That's good. I was really worried that you would be.”

“I'm not. You're okay, and that's what matters most.”

“Thanks. And, well, I'm not mad at you either.”

Colgate sat up and looked at her confused. “Why would you be angry?”

Berry turned over to look at her. “Because you said that all of this was your fault, and because, like you said, you forced me to make a promise. We both know everything that's happened isn't your fault, and, I kinda get why you did it now.”

“So, you forgive me?” Colgate asked.

“Yeah. And, to be honest, I don't want to drink it again.”

Colgate let out a happy sigh, and laid down once more. “Thank you, Berry, that means a lot. But, I have to ask, why?”

There was a pause. “Because...” there was another pause, “Because I don't want to go through being a stallion again! I'm a mare and I'm happy just the way I am.”

Colgate smiled. She knew that wasn't the real reason. But it didn't matter. What did was that they finally put this whole thing behind them, and, if all went well, it would stay that way.

Sadly, fate, as it turns out, had other plans for poor, poor Berry...

PreviousChapters Next