• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 590 Views, 1 Comments

An Underground Mission! - tmz112



Ponies versus Diamond Dogs, who will win!

  • ...
 1
 590

Chapter 4: Dreaming

Truestrike gazed at the blazing fire as she lied down, something she found doing everyday in the cave. It gave her peace from all the fighting and the fear that engulfed her mind. However, the comforting warmth from the fire was slowly losing its ability to calm her. Images of the vicious Diamond Dogs slaughtering her comrades forced themselves into her head. She furiously shook her head trying to reject them but they wouldn't disappear. A tear ran down her cheek and she let out a quiet plea to seemingly to herself.

"Please...go away."

Truestrike heard a familiar voice behind her respond to the comment, disappointed.

"Aw, but I just got here."

The unicorn quickly looked behind her and saw Ravenheart, a disappointed frown on her face. She felt her heart skip a beat as she looked at the beautiful pegasus. Her mane, usually in a pony tail, was let loose and her breathtaking purple hair was draped over the left side of her face. She had never seen her commander look so...free.

The black-furred mare blew the hair out of her face and let it hang loosely. She turned her slightly in confusion at the unicorn whose mouth was hanging open and her ruby eyes wide open.

"Are you okay, Truey?"

Truestrike let her look linger on Raven for another second or two until she realized she had asked her something. She quickly looked away from the other mare, trying to keep her from seeing her blushing face and responded quietly.

"Y-yeah, of course. Why do you ask?"

Ravenheart was oblivious to the unicorn's blushing and she spoke back with concern in her voice.

"Well, I saw you laying down over here and you seemed kind of depressed. Also since everypony else is sleeping, I thought now would be a good time to talk."

Truestrike laid her back down, looking at the fire as a smile came to her face. She could hear the caring in her voice and it warmed her heart. She responded back, still looking at the fire.

"Thanks Raven, I could really use somepony to talk to about...stuff."

Truestrike heard walking behind and watched as Ravenheart laid down close beside her. Truestrike looked away from her as she blushed. She had never been this close to anypony else. She felt Raven scoot more towards her until their sides and flanks were touching. Truestrike felt the warmth of Ravenheart and it made her blush even deeper. She wasn't exactly sure if she wanted her this close, but she couldn't deny the pleasure she had from it.

Truestrike felt something nudge her face and looked at Ravenheart who was giving her a warming smile and care glistening in her eyes.

"Well, I'm here so let's talk about 'stuff'."

Truestrike and Ravenheart giggled in unison at the statement. However, Truestrike remembered what that 'stuff' was and she lowered her head back down and gazed into the fire once more. Her smile slowly sunk down and she sighed heavily. She really needed to talk and of all the ponies to confess her fears to, she felt the most comfortable with Raven. She did her best to sound confident as she spoke.

"Raven, do you feel a little...scared by this whole situation?"

Truestrike her Raven mutter a 'hmm' before she spoke.

"To be honest, Truey, not really. In my years of experience, this is probably one of the least dangerous missions I've been on.

'Oh.' Truestrike thought. Maybe she was alone in the fear of the Diamond Dogs. Before she could respond, Raven spoke again.

"Than again, this is your first real mission. Everypony gets scared their first time."

Truestrike felt Ravenheart drape her body with her wing. She looked up, blushing and slightly suprised at her. However, on Ravenheart's face was a warming smile and understanding in her eyes.

"No matter how much training you receive at the military academies, it doesn't even remotely prepare you for the real thing. Sparring with a fellow comrade doesn't compare to fighting a bloodthirsty creature with the intent to kill you in its eyes."

Raven pulled Truestrike closer with her wing until their faces were only a few inches away from eachother. A playful grin appeared on Raven's face as she spoke in a low, seductive voice.

"All it takes...is experience."

Their muzzles inched closer to eachother's as a word echoed in Truestrike's head.

'Experience...'


Truestrike's eyes shot open. She was breathing heavily from the intense moment that was about to happen...in a dream sadly. She was drenched in sweat from the fantasy her mind concocted.

As she calmed herself down, she finally noticed that she was in a world of darkness. She slowly shuffled around and felt a soft, wool blanket draped over her. She began to move her head so she could poke her head out and gaze at her surroundings but stopped as a sharp pain pulsed through her mind. She had an incredibly painful headache and she put a hoof on both sides of her head, clenching tightly. Oh sweet Celestia, this was worse than any hangover she had before. She wished the painful ache was from a hangover but as she came down from the pain, she remembered her life now as a military pony.

This time, she slowly poked her out from the blankets and glanced around carefully. She concluded she was in a tent but it was not hers. There was no light in the tent and it made it difficult to see. She made out a weapon rack in the tent with two light swords held in it. Saddlebags were scattered around the tent with the belongings from them on the ground.

Of all the things scattered about, however, her gaze was drawn towards a book right by her. Out of curiosity, she picked up the book and looked at it. There was a title on it and she squinted her eyes to read it in the dark.

"Ravenheart's Jorunal"

Her eyes widened as she realized where she was. She slowly looked to her left and saw the black-furred pegasus curled up beside her, sleeping peacefully. Her mane, like in her dream, was let down. Even in the darkness, she could make out the beauty of Ravenheart.

Wondering why she was there and at the same time feeling a little uncomfortable, she slowly began to rise in an attempt to leave. However, as she began, she felt a sharp pain in her side. She looked at where the pain came from and found the middle part of her body fully bandaged.

Suddenly, she remembered what happened. A Diamond Dog attacking an exhausted unicorn, sinking its claws into her side and leaving a gash. Images of the same vicious creature flashed in her mind of it standing over her, ready to deliver the fatal blow. However, a black blur saved her just in time and she remembered her commander, Ravenheart, weeping over her unconscious body. She smiled as the memories flooded back into her mind but she didn't know why.

She let the memories linger for a second before she slowly got up, ignoring the pain. She felt like she overstayed her welcome and began to make her way out of the tent. However, curiosity got the best of her as she turned her head slightly and gazed at the book. She knew it was wrong to but she couldn't help it. She quietly picked up the journal with her magic and walked out of the tent. She didn't know why but she desperately wanted to see what Ravenheart wrote about.

She glanced around and noticed the familiar environment. It was the room where she was knocked out in. Of course, it was now void of Diamond Dogs and filled with the tents of sleeping military ponies. There was no fire and she didn't know where her tent was so she decided to walk to a corner of the room that was secluded from the tents. There was a somewhat large rock in the corner and she sat on it, wincing in pain as she lowered herself down upon it.

With no light from a fire, she dimly lit her area with magic from her horn and held the journal between her hooves. She considered putting the book away but she couldn't. She sighed, somewhat disappointed in herself as she opened the journal.