• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 367 Views, 0 Comments

The cards of Equestria - LGHeart



Twilight has found a simple card, or at least that's what she thinks. This one card will change so much in the coming month, but will Twilight and/or spike be able to figure out the riddle to save all of Equestria?

  • ...
 0
 367

Chapter 4S: Pinkie sense FAILS?!

With a sigh, I sat at my table off to far side of Sugar Cube Corner with one of Miss. Cakes newest creations for dragons 'raspberry ruby muffins'. The muffin was sitting on the table little bits of berries and rubies poking out of the bread. It looked great, amazingly delicious even. But for some reason I just couldn't seem to find my stomach.

“What's wrong Spike?” came the bubbly voice of Pinkie Pie. She looked her usually self, big, pink, and bouncy, but today she had a somewhat concerned look on her face. She sat at the other side of the table from me. Thankfully I had come into Sugar Cube Corner not long after the lunch rush so pinkie was mostly free to just sit down and talk to me.

“I'm just stressed out, I guess.” My claw slowly moves over to the bag I was carrying with me. Today Twilight had told me stop studying and take some time to relax. I knew she had a point, Twilight usually did. But I just couldn't get my mind off of that card. Nearly four days of constant research had taken it's toll on me.

Celestia had sent me nearly 6 full carts of books. Each book talking about at least one of the topics I had asked her to send to me. I immediately went to work and forgot about almost everything else. Before I knew it four days had passed and Twilight had to pull me out of my research. 'Spike your almost obsessive about finding out what this card is, you hadn't even talked to Rarity when she came over the other day.'

Twilight pulled the books away from me, forcefully gave me a bath, and handed me some money. She had talked to me a little about the fact I needed to take a break and eat something, surprisingly I hadn't eaten for nearly two days.

She had handed me this bag and said that the card was in there along with enough money to pay for some food. The card was with me simply because she had wanted me to hold on to it for a while because she was going to be out of town and the card was starting to put off some type of odd magic vibe. The bag had a spell on it to prevent the card from sending out that feeling, and she felt better keeping the card in Ponyville because it was less likely to get stolen when compared to Manehattan.

“Maybe a party will help!” yelled pinkie, suddenly bringing me back my scenes.

“Uh . . . Maybe . . .” I say suddenly feeling a little confused, but Pinkie was smiling like her usual self again.

“Hm . . .” hummed Pinkie as she tapped a hoof to chin. “Maybe a simple party, or maybe we can get you a spa day with Rarity and have a little party here at Sugar Cube Corner. What do you think Spike? Do you think either of those will help you have a good relaxing party?”

Pinkie looked to me again with a smile on her face, and expecting glint in her eyes. “Oh.” I say finally realizing what Pinkie was asking me. “Uh, not really Pinkie.”

Pinkie's eyes got really wide, her mouth somehow dropping to the floor. She was staring at me as if I had just said Nightmare Moon was returning and teaming up with Tirek and Discord, and they were suddenly wielding the power of the tree of harmony.

I nearly fell back in my chair at the sight of Pinkie face. My heart was racing and fumbled to try and keep myself balanced. “What's wrong?” I ask, trying to lower my heart rate.

For a moment Pinkie didn't do or say anything, she looked almost statue like as she at me.

“I'm just surprised.” is all she said.

Wait, Pinkie Pie, surprised by me? That was a new one, I can never surprise her. She always seems to just . . . know things.

“Surprised? Surprised by what?”

Pinkie blinked at me. “You barely acknowledged my idea of you and Rarity spending time together. At a spa. Alone.” She said enunciating carefully so I got the point.

Biting my lip, I knew she had a point, that was seriously not like me. Why would I ever turn down an opportunity to be with the mare I love. Maybe I was taking this whole thing with the card a little to seriously.

With a sigh and gentle smile I looked to Pinkie and told her I should be fine, I would just need to take a couple steps back. Heck even Twilight has never been as bad as I have been over the past few days. I was being way to obsessive about this one little thing, and it was getting bad.

My stomach growled and suddenly that muffin was looking all that much more tasty. Grabbing the muffin I took a bite from it. The wonderful crunch of the ruby combined with the taste of the raspberry muffin to make it an amazing treat.

“I think I'll be fine, Pinkie.” She smiled at my words and I could tell she seemed a little relieved to here that. “I could at least use a couple more of these though.”

Pinkie smiles at me and nods. “Okie Dokie Loki.”

She gets up and bounces around to the back of the store.

After a few moments I could hear the clatter of some metal and some voices. What was going on back there?

Finishing my muffin, I hopped down from my chair and made sure my bag was carefully slung over my shoulder before going around the counter, and into the back.

As soon as I opened the door a slight cry of pain and the feeling that the door hit something solid got my attention. Immediately I knew I had accidentally hit someone with the door.

“Ow.” Cried Mr. Cake as he clutched his muzzle. “Why didn't you warn me Pinkie?”

I could see Miss. Cake standing next to Pinkie with a questioning look on her face. But what really caught my attention was the look of surprise on Pinkie's face, her eyes were wide, her mouth hung open slightly, her hair looked deflated, and for some odd reason she was covered in either flour or sugar.

After a moment Pinkie said something under her breath that I never would have caught had Miss. Cake not asked what she had said.

Pinkie said it again, louder this time, but still nopony heard what she said. Mr. and Miss. Cake exchanged a worried look at each other before looking to Pinkie again. “Come again?” Asked Mr. Cake.

“I said 'I didn't know'.” Pinkie replied finally able to speak at a level we could all hear.

“'Didn't know' what?” I asked speaking up and letting my presence be know.

“I didn't know Mr. Cake would need to watch out for a door opening.”

At first I didn't really get what she was talking about. Pinkie was acting strange even for her. But as soon as I looked to the Cake's I knew they understood what Pinkie was talking about. And I was about to ask what was wrong, but Miss. Cake spoke before I could.

“Pinkie.” She said, “Are you telling me that your Pinkie sense didn't warn you about the door?”

With as simple nod of conformation Pinkie looked at her hooves. “I didn't know the flour was going to fall either.”

Suddenly everypony was looking at each other and at Pinkie, who seemed the most surprised of us all. Her Pinkie sense failing? That had to mean something was very wrong. The air in the room started to become thick with tension as we all just looked at each other.

*Sniffle*

We all watched as Pinkie slowly began to cry and fall to the floor. Nopony seemed to know what to do, normally Pinkie was the one who knew how to cheer others up. But this time Pinkie was the one need to be cheered up.

Without thinking, I walked over to Pinkie as she hid her face behind her hoofs and hear tears were falling to the ground, and pulled her into a hug. Pinkie wrapped her Hooves around me and she continued to cry on my shoulder. Speaking softly I did my best to reassure Pinkie that it would all be okay, it would just take some time.

After a while Pinkie calmed down enough that she finally stopped crying, of course I was partly covered in both flour and tears. So I tried to make a quick joke about being ready to be the tasty spike cake I was meant to be. That got pinkie to laugh a little and you could tell she was feeling better because of the fact her hair was puffy again. But she still looked a little upset.

Mr. and Miss. Cake helped me and Pinkie get cleaned up and closed the shop for the rest of the day. After some more time comforting Pinkie and carefully helping her into bed I walked out the front door receiving thanks from the whole cake family.

As I look to the sky I can see Luna's moon high in the sky. Oh great I'm late getting home. I guess I'll just have to hurry.

The cool night air felt nice against my scales but my bag felt heavy and warm. I didn't bother to look at anything as I ran back to the castle. I just ran as fast as I could trying to avoid have a worse punishment from Twilight.

Finally the castle came into view and in the moonlight it looked way more ominous, almost foreboding. Steeling my nerves I walked up to the doors and slowly opened them up.

The first thing I see as I walk through the door is Twilight walking towards me with a very angry look on her face.

“Where have you been?” Twilight demanded as she stopped only a couple inches from my face. I was backed up against the door, feeling trapped.

“Helping the Cake's take care of Pinkie.”

What ever Twilight had been expecting, she obviously wasn't expecting me to say that. She backed off a little with a confused look on her face. “What?” was all she could say.

I began to explain the events of the day to her and as I went on Twilight's eye seemed to get bigger and bigger, by the end you would think her eyes would be bulging out of her head. We stood there for a little while as Twilight processed everything.

Finally, Twilight sighed and pulled me into a hug. “You did good Spike.”

“Thanks Twi.”

Twilight broke the hug and looked me in the eye. “just try to make sure I know if your going to do something like that again. I almost thought someone attacked you because of that card or something.”

The card. . . “The card!” I yelled as something dawned on me.

Twilight was surprised by my outburst and had to step back as I ran past her. Pulling the bag up to my face I opened the flap and reached into the bag and pulled out the card. I could hear the sound of hoof falls not far behind me, but I didn't care to look back. There was something I had to take a look at.

The card was held firmly in my claw as I ran towards my destination. Turning the corner I ran into the room where Twilight kept all the books we had. By passing the books Celestia sent me I went straight to the spell book section. I quickly pulled a specific book and started flipping through the spells.

“Spike?” Twilight called out. Soon enough I could hear Twilight coming up behind me, her breathing shortened. “What are you doing Spike?”

Finally founding the spell I was looking for, and with a quick turn I showed Twilight the pages. “I think the card can use spells!” I say.

As soon as I said it Twilight looked to the book and her eyes got wide with shock. She immediately the book in her magic. As she read the spell her eyes got wider and wider. When she finally looked back up to me the realization hit her like a ton of bricks.

“Spike.” She said as her eyes drifted to the card. “This spell is advanced even for me. 'Control base' is a spell designed to manipulate not only creatures, but also take away and duplicate some of there natural abilities.”

“I know.” I say causing Twilight to look at me strangely. “I've been reading a lot more material then you realize Twi. But that's no the point!”

pointing to the book I bring the card up into Twilight's view. “That spell can still work on ponies if done right. It would explain why Pinkie's Pinkie sense stopped working. She was hanging around me for quite a while before the incident in the kitchen. I'm thinking this card used that spell and it affected Pinkie!”

“Spike if that's true-”

“I know Twilight.” I say interrupting her. “This is dangerous if it can use such a complex spell.”

With a gulp Twilight looked back to the spell book, “We may need to talk to Discord again too. This spell requires at least the power of three unicorns normally, and that's just for the average slightly dangerous creature. To be able to affect a pony would require the power of at least Princess Luna.”

Both of us looked at the card as if it was toxic. Only the most dangerous artifacts I had read about over the past couple of days had that much power.

Author's Note:

Finally I get the next chapter out.:yay: This is where things are starting to get interesting.:twilightsmile:

I hope you all enjoy this chapter!:pinkiehappy:

If you have any questions comment them below! I will try to reply as soon as I can.:pinkiesad2: