• Published 23rd Nov 2014
  • 15,684 Views, 847 Comments

(Mis)taken Identity - MythrilMoth



Twilight Sparkle investigates the strange events at Canterlot High School.

  • ...
49
 847
 15,684

Friend Request Ignored

Seven mares, six humans, and one dragon sat in a spacious banquet hall on the second floor of the castle proper. Spike and the two Pinkies had whipped up tea and snacks for the group.

Twilight remained grouchy as the others tried to engage her in small talk. Even being turned human again hadn't improved her mood—mostly because the second she found out Princess Twilight could've turned her human again at any time, she'd gotten angry.

"I'm sorry, Twilight!" Princess Twilight said. "I just...didn't think it'd be an issue! But then I had two of everypony to deal with, and..."

"Don't be all grumpypants, Twilight!" Human Pinkie said, wrapping an arm around Twilight. "Now that we know you're around, we're gonna be the bestest of bestest friends!"

Twilight glared at her coldly, removing her arm. "You are data to me," she said. "The only interest I have in you is your role in the phenomena associated with Canterlot High School and..." She frowned at her surroundings. "Equestria. Once I've completed my research, I don't expect to see any of you ever again."

"Wow," Human Rainbow said. "I can't believe you're such a b—"

"Twilight," Princess Twilight interrupted, with a reproachful glare at Human Rainbow, "don't shut them out. These girls...they're my friends. They're some of the most special people I know. I'm lucky to have these amazing friends in two different worlds. Please..." She gave Twilight a pleading look. "Please give them a chance."

Twilight gave her a flat stare. "I'm still thinking about all that stuff you told me about how important friendship is," she said. "And...you are right about one thing. I'm too young to live my entire life without friends." She adjusted her glasses. "BUT...that doesn't give you the right to choose my friends for me. Just because these girls are your friends...that doesn't necessarily mean I want them to be my friends." She looked around the table and frowned. "Besides, they're...crazy."

"And you're a jerk," Sunset said with a frown.

"Sunset...please," Princess Twilight said. She frowned. "It's true that this Twilight is...well..." She frowned, then looked at her friends. "Was I ever this rude?"

The five mares looked at one another, shifting uncomfortably.

"Well..."

"You do have your moments..."

"Oh! Like the time you slammed the door in that mailpony's face! On his birthday!"

"You're...usually nice, but...I guess sometimes you can be a little...not as nice?"

Princess Twilight sagged, her ears falling flat against the sides of her head. "Wow," she said. "Just...wow."

"Sorry sugarcube," Pony Applejack said. "You know we love ya t' pieces. But heck, ain't none of us perfect."

"And you've changed a lot since you came to Ponyville!" Pony Pinkie said. "Like, remember that huuuuuuuge fit you threw over my Pinkie Sense? You haven't done anything like that in a LONG time!"

"Thanks, Pinkie," Princess Twilight said dryly. "I feel so much better now."

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "Looks like my holier-than-thou 'better half' isn't so perfect herself," she said.

"Girls! Please," Sunset said. "Honestly! I'm supposed to be the friendship student here, don't make me be the friendship...tutor...person!"

"Whatever is the ruckus here, my little ponies?"

Princess Celestia entered the room. She looked around, blinking in confusion. "And...my little...humans, apparently?"

"Princess Celestia!" Princess Twilight said. "I'm so sorry to have disturbed you!"

"Oh, you didn't disturb me," she said. "I needed to...ahem..." Her cheeks turned faintly pink. "Little filly's room." She frowned. "Apparently, it has been quite an eventful night..."

Sunset frowned. "Hey...Twilight...how come you woke me up to deal with all this, but not her?"

Princess Twilight blushed. "I...figured the two of us could handle it without disturbing Celestia," she said. "I mean, what kind of Princess am I if I can't handle some intruders in my own castle?"

"Right," Sunset said, clearly unconvinced.

Celestia sat down, a politely puzzled expression on her face. "Exactly what is happening here, Princess Twilight?"

"Oh! Well...I forgot to close the portal behind us, Your Majesty," Princess Twilight said. "When me, Twilight, and Sunset came through, I mean. And...well..."

"We wanted to check out Equestria, Your...uhh...Ponyness," Human Rainbow said. "So we went back to Canterlot High after dark and jumped through the portal."

"I see," Princess Celestia said. "Well then, welcome to Equestria." She raised an eyebrow. "I'm curious to know why you didn't turn into ponies upon entering this world."

"We did," Human Applejack said, "but Twilight did some kind of magic that turned us human again."

"How interesting," Princess Celestia said with a smile. "Of course, you will have to cancel this spell before you send them back home. We don't know how your transformation magic will interact with the portal."

Princess Twilight nodded. "Don't worry, I've already thought of that. I'll turn them all back before they go through."

"May I ask a question?" Twilight asked, looking directly at Celestia.

"You may."

"I've been told that you raise the sun in this world. I'm having difficulty believing that; it goes against every scientific principle I know. I'm curious: is that little show you and your sister put on some elaborate tribal ritual?"

The Equestrian natives gasped in shock and stared at Twilight.

Celestia gave her an odd glance. "Let me tell you a little story.

"A very long time ago, when my sister and I first came to Equestria, we were simply two alicorns, chosen as mediators between the three pony tribes. Back then, we had no connection to the sun or the moon.

"In those times, it was the unicorns who raised and lowered the sun and the moon. The wisest and greatest of all unicorns led the team of powerful unicorn mages who ensured that all the ponies of Equestria had light in which to work and play and to grow the food they ate, and quiet, peaceful moonlit nights in which to sleep.

"But what neither I nor my sister knew is that those very unicorns were sacrificing everything that made them who they were for the good of all ponykind. For you see, it took the combined might of a large number of unicorns to raise the sun, and the task was so great that every unicorn who volunteered for this task was completely drained of their magic in a few short years.

"I was aghast when I learned of this, and this is what led my sister and I to take charge of the sun and the moon, for our alicorn magic is powerful enough to control the heavens without draining our power, and in turn, the very heavenly bodies we move sustain and rejuvenate us."

Celestia smiled. "So to answer your question: to suggest that my sister and I are charlatans who merely put on a performance, day after day, night after night, to ease the minds of our subjects...is to dishonor and disgrace the sacrifices of generations of unicorns who sacrificed the very essence of their beings for the good of Equestria."

Twilight shrank into her chair, suitably cowed.

Celestia looked out the window. "It won't be very long until morning," she said. "Would you girls like to have a look around Ponyville?"

"We'd absolutely love to!" Human Rarity said, starry-eyed.

"Uhh...don't you all have school?" Sunset asked. "I mean, I do too, but...I was pretty much counting on at least one of you to tell Principal Celestia I'd be absent today..."

"Oh yeah," Human Pinkie said, wilting.

Celestia raised an eyebrow, a thoughtful look on her face. Princess Twilight noticed this and tensed up. "Princess Celestia...what are you planning?"

Celestia smiled. "You'll see..." Her eyes twinkled.

* * * * *

Principal Celestia pulled her subcompact electric car into the faculty lot, locked up, then dug out the keys to the school. As she approached, she saw two people standing outside the locked entrance. One, she recognized as Twilight Sparkle.

The other...was herself. She stared, slack-jawed, at the other Celestia.

"Ah, good morning!" The other Celestia said with a smile, walking down the steps. "You must be Principal Celestia."

"Y-yes," Principal Celestia said. "And...and you are...?"

"I am Princess Celestia," Princess Celestia said. "The ruler of the world Princess Twilight Sparkle and Sunset Shimmer hail from. I believe you know the general details?"

"M-more or less," Principal Celestia said, staring at this unfamiliar familiar woman.

"It is delightful to meet you," Princess Celestia said. "I'm afraid I can't remain for long. I've simply come here to tell you that several students will be absent from your school today." She smiled. "Sunset Shimmer and her friends are visiting Equestria for the day. I assure you they'll return tomorrow." She tilted her head. "Well...except possibly Sunset Shimmer. I may ask her to remain an extra day."

"Please keep this quiet, Principal Celestia," Princess Twilight said. "I...don't think any of their families know they snuck through the portal last night, and I don't want them to be in trouble. It's...it's my fault for leaving the portal open in the first place."

"You...left the portal open?" Principal Celestia asked, confused. "I...don't entirely understand..."

"Sunset Shimmer ran into the Twilight Sparkle from this world yesterday," Princess Twilight said. "It's...a complex situation. We, uhh...took her to Equestria yesterday afternoon."

"And the rest followed at some point during the night," Princess Celestia said, smiling. "It's quite a confusing scene at Twilight's castle."

Principal Celestia swallowed. "I, uhh...I'll be sure to let their teachers know, then," she said.

"Excellent. Well, happy day to you!" Princess Celestia and Princess Twilight walked to the horse statue and, with a final wave, disappeared.

Vice-Principal Luna walked up, a confused frown on her face. "Tia? Was that...?"

"You know what, Luna? Don't ask," Principal Celestia muttered as she unlocked the school doors. "I need more coffee..."