• Published 8th Nov 2014
  • 9,158 Views, 740 Comments

Tell Us That You Want Us - Summer Knight



The sirens' hearts, the gems that housed their magic, were shattered. Powerless and starving, the Dazzlings turn to the Rainbooms for help.

  • ...
28
 740
 9,158

A Second Chance

"Sonata Dusk?" A guard stallion entered the small room where Sonata was being held.

Upon returning to Equestria, Twilight had immediately used her cute little dragon to send a letter to Celestia explaining what was going on, and why she'd soon be arriving with Sunset Shimmer, somepony who had died centuries ago, and the three sirens. Then, with help from Sunset Shimmer and Star Swirl, they'd all teleported to Canterlot.

Almost immediately upon arriving, they'd been intercepted by a group of royal guards. With reassurances from Twilight and Sunset, the unresisting sirens had quickly been separated and led away to different rooms.

"Yeah?" Sonata asked the newcomer. She was a bit nervous to hear what was in store for her, but overall she felt rather good about the situation. She'd finally won over her sisters, and it looked like everyone was all set to be friends as soon as this official stuff was over. Twilight's certainty that they'd be pardoned as long as they promised to be good didn't hurt, either.

"I'm just here to tell you that you're free to go," the stallion said. "Your, ah, heart, will be returned to you as soon as you're outside."

"Wait, just like that?" Sonata asked. Reassurances or not, this was way too easy.

"Just like that," the guard confirmed with what was probably meant to be an encouraging smile. It looked more like a grimace. "Your sister Aria Blaze explained everything, and Adagio Dazzle confirmed it when we asked her."

"What do you mean?" Sonata leaned forward. This didn't sound right. She unconsciously tried to grip the table to steady herself, but of course her hooves couldn't do any such thing.

"Aria told us how she'd enchanted you and Adagio, and that the crimes you committed were done at her command," he explained.

"What? Sonata yelped.

The guard spoke right over her outburst. "Per Equestrian law, you can't be held responsible for what you do under magical compulsion. Therefore, there's no case against you or your sister, and you're both free to leave. Aria will face the princesses' judgment, but as long as you stay out of trouble, you should never hear from us again."

There were a dozen things that Sonata wanted, needed to tell this guard, so many things that her thoughts tangled and tripped up one another. Why was Aria doing this?

"It's not true!" Sonata shouted.

"I'm sorry?" The guard tilted his head.

"I was never under anyone's spell," Sonata protested. "You can't just punish Aria for what we all did!"

The guard reached into his barding and pulled out a sheet of paper, quickly skimming the contents. "Ah, here it is," he said. "According to Aria's statement, you fought particularly hard against the compulsion, so she had to use more powerful magic on you. She warned us that you might still feel a sense of loyalty to her for a while. That's why we confirmed with Adagio first." He tucked the paper back where he'd gotten it from.

Sonata's jaw flapped uselessly. Aria had trapped herself perfectly. Anything Sonata said would just be waved away as the aftereffects of the "spell." Why?

"Please come with me," the guard said, "I'll lead you out."

Feeling dazed and strangely numb, Sonata nodded and followed the armored stallion. She took no notice of the beautiful surroundings inside the royal palace in Canterlot, and paid no heed to the murmuring nobles or imposing royal guards. What was going on? Why was this happening? Nothing seemed to make sense anymore.

A surge of hope broke through the haze when she spotted another guard leading Adagio down the hall just ahead. Paying no attention to her own escort's cry for her to wait, she galloped up to meet them.

"Adagio!" she cried out as she ran. "Aria—"

"Not here," Adagio cut her off. "We'll talk outside, okay?" Her face was deadly serious. She already knew the situation.

"O-okay," Sonata stammered uncertainly, coming to a stop beside her sister.

The royal guard who had been leading Sonata quickened his pace to a trot to catch up. They weren't prisoners anymore, so there was no need to keep them on too short a leash, but he still had a job to do. Under the watchful eyes of the two guardsponies, Adagio and Sonata walked down the cavernous main hallway of the royal palace to the large doors at the front. Another unicorn in royal guard armor stood there with a small, gilded wooden box. He opened it as they approached.

"These are yours," the unicorn stated, holding Adagio and Sonata's hearts in a magical field, "and your bags are against the wall there. Everything that was in them was put back. You had no other possessions with you, correct?"

"That's right," Adagio said quietly.

"What about Aria?" Sonata asked.

"You are certainly welcome to take her bag as well," the unicorn answered, perhaps deliberately misunderstanding the question, "but I'm afraid that we will need to hold onto her amulet."

"That's not—!"

"Not now, Sonata," Adagio murmured.

The two sirens gathered their belongings, and Sonata took Aria's saddlebag as well. With the guards' permission, they stepped through the doors and into the open air of freedom. A freedom that Aria might never know again.

"This way," Adagio said, jerking her head for Sonata to follow. She led the other siren around the side of the palace toward the royal gardens. They found a relatively private place under a small stand of trees, and at last Adagio turned to face her sister.

"Aria's lying!" Sonata burst out as soon as Adagio looked at her. "We have to tell them. We have to—" she broke off as she noticed the tears, real tears, gathering in Adagio's eyes. She hadn't seen her sister cry in centuries.

"She's taking the fall for us," Adagio answered. "She's giving herself up so that we can have a second chance."

"But," Sonata sobbed, "but Princess Twilight said that everything would be okay!"

"If we agreed to live the way the ponies want us to," Adagio replied. "You're alright with that, and maybe I can learn to live with it, but can you really picture Aria devoting her life to friendship and harmony?" The scorn in Adagio's voice said quite clearly what she thought of that idea.

"But..." Sonata couldn't find anything else to say.

"Look," Adagio said, turning abruptly away, "they're going to let us see her once more before her trial. Why don't you just ask her?"

"Adagio," Sonata croaked. Her remaining sister was closing herself off again. She was going to lose both of them. "This can't happen. Please don't let this happen."

Adagio's head lowered. "Shut up, Sonata," she muttered through gritted teeth. "Just shut up." Sparkling tears fell from her cheeks, and her shoulders shook with repressed sobs. "You need to get away from me."

Sonata took a step backward. An emptiness was opening up inside her that was worse than anything she experienced while starving and unable to feed. Adagio blamed her for what was going to happen to Aria, and that hurt a thousand times more than Aria's fist had. No amount of magic could make Sonata strong enough to withstand those damning words.

Sonata whirled on the spot and galloped away, her own tears beginning to fall.

This isn't how it was supposed to be! Twilight paced around the main hall of the palace, her thoughts whirling. The sirens were supposed to apologize for what they had done, promise to use their magic for the good of all ponies, receive a pardon, and everyone would live happily ever after. That was what always happened!

"Twilight?" Sunset asked uncertainly.

Why had Aria done that? There was no need for her to take all of the blame. Under Equestrian law, a creature who mind-controlled someone else was held responsible for any crimes their thrall committed, as well as facing the penalty for using illegal magic. She'd be banished at the very least!

"Twilight," Sunset repeated.

Twilight's hooves were tied. As far as the official records were concerned, everything that Adagio and Sonata had done had been done under magical compulsion. They had no way of disproving it, especially after Adagio had corroborated the story. As the sirens' creator, Star Swirl might be able to convince them that it wasn't true, but he was being strangely silent about the whole affair. What was his game? Why was he letting this happen to one of his daughters?

"Twilight!" Sunset reached out and caught Twilight's chin, forcing the princess to look into her eyes.

Twilight blinked and brought herself back to the present. She shook her head to clear it, then pressed herself up against Sunset. She desperately needed some comfort. "I don't get it," she said.

"I'm not sure I do either," Sunset admitted, reaching up with a foreleg to hold Twilight closer. "Obviously Aria thinks that this is for the best. I mean, can we even be sure it's a lie?"

"You told me that Discord once made it so the sirens affected themselves with their own magic," Twilight answered dully. "That would imply that they normally don't."

"But it also means that there was a time when Aria actually could have enchanted the others," Sunset pointed out.

"Even if she did, that spell should have broken after the Battle of the Bands," Twilight answered. "I've got no evidence, though, and the only testimony we have all supports what Aria said." She sighed. "You're right, maybe she's telling the truth after all. I can't make a judgement based on what I want to be true."

Twilight and Sunset looked up at the distinctive sound of golden horseshoes clicking on the marble floor. Sunset dropped into a bow, but Twilight trotted straight over to the other princess.

"Princess Celestia," she said, her voice strained, "isn't there something we can do?"

"Something we can do?" Celestia asked in surprise. "Twilight, I thought you would be pleased. Your actions over the last two days have saved both the sirens and the human world."

"It wasn't supposed to be like this!" Twilight exclaimed. "I thought they'd be reformed, like Princess Luna and Discord. I thought we could pardon them."

Celestia exhaled softly. "I'm afraid it isn't that simple. Come, I was just about to meet with Luna to talk this over. Please join us. Sunset Shimmer, of course you are welcome too."

Twilight and Sunset looked uncertainly at one another, and followed the princess into a small, private room. Luna was already there, and to their surprise, so was Star Swirl. Tea had been set out for five. They took their places around the small wooden table and looked to Celestia for an explanation of why they were all there.

"Aria Blaze has confessed to everything," Celestia said. "By her own testimony, she is personally accountable for the crimes of all three sirens, as well as the use of illegal magic on her sisters. We are here to decide on a suitable punishment."

"We have to give her another chance," Twilight said urgently. "I mean, even Discord reformed himself once he learned the value of friendship. And, no offense to the ponies here, Princess Luna and Sunset Shimmer were both pardoned for their crimes."

"It is not the same, Twilight Sparkle," Luna answered evenly. "I myself was banished for a thousand years. Discord was imprisoned in stone for even longer than that, and Sunset Shimmer risked her life in your defense, saving an entire world in the process. One way or another, we all earned our forgiveness. The sirens have not."

Oh. Twilight hadn't thought about it like that. "So what do we do?" she asked miserably.

Celestia draped a wing gently over the smaller princess. "I can see that this is painful for you," she said gently, "but justice is not always easy. All we can do is make the best and fairest decisions that we can. You are the only one of us who had direct contact with the sirens, so what would you suggest? Sunset Shimmer, Star Swirl, your input would be appreciated as well."

"Star Swirl," Sunset chimed in, "is it even possible for the sirens to be affected by each others' magic like that? I mean, wouldn't they just keep enchanting each other every time they sing?"

"They should be resistant to their own powers, yes," Star Swirl answered, taking a small sip of tea, "but Aria found a way around that. Why do you ask?"

"It's nothing," Sunset sighed, her ears drooping. "Never mind."

"You're awfully calm about all of this," Twilight said to Star Swirl. "I thought you considered the sirens to be your daughters?"

"They are my daughters. There is no 'consider' about it," the old unicorn answered sternly. "And yes, of course it saddens me that one of my daughters must be punished like this. On the other hoof, I am very proud of her for owning up to what she has done and taking responsibility, and for giving her sisters the chance that they deserve."

Twilight was silent for a moment. She was starting to get it. Star Swirl had understood what she was only just coming to realize; one way or another, punishment would have to be meted out. By going with Aria's ploy, he was ensuring that at least two of his daughters got another chance. She sighed heavily.

"The sirens have spent the last thousand years living like royalty, at the expense of everyone around them," Twilight said. "At the very least, Aria would be guilty of grand larceny and the use of illegal magic. That's not even taking into account all the trouble they caused."

"She tried to kill us, Twilight," Sunset reminded her. "Multiple times."

"Yeah, I guess you should probably add 'attempted murder' and 'attempted regicide' to that list," Twilight admitted.

Celestia nodded. None of this was news to her. "And what would you deem a suitable punishment for those crimes?" she asked.

Twilight groaned. "Attempted regicide alone carries a penalty of either lifetime imprisonment or banishment from Equestria, left up to the princesses' best judgement," she said, reciting from her legal studies. "Although, given that Aria Blaze is effectively immortal, we could follow the precedent set by Nightmare Moon and sentence her to... a thousand years?" Twilight suggested. The very idea of confining a living creature for such an unthinkable length of time made her nauseous.

"An excellent ruling, Princess Twilight," Luna said encouragingly.

"A thousand years where?" Celestia prompted her.

"Banished from Equestria," Twilight answered quickly. She knew what Celestia was getting at, but no, that was just too horrible. "It doesn't matter where she goes, as long as she remains outside Equestria's borders until the sentence is up."

Celestia shook her head. "By that ruling, she could simply return to her home in the human world, with easy access to Equestria through the mirror portal. Even if she stayed in this world, we'd just be inflicting her upon another innocent kingdom. It wouldn't be viewed as any sort of punishment."

"I don't care how it's viewed!" Twilight burst out. "I know what you want me to say, but there's no way I can condemn her to a thousand years in... in..."

"Our ponies must know that we are protecting them, and appropriately disciplining those who try to do them harm," Celestia said. "You have a beautiful heart, Twilight Sparkle; one that yearns for everyone to be happy, even our enemies. Unfortunately, that is not always possible. First and foremost, we must ensure the security of our kingdom and the safety of its inhabitants. With that in mind, what sentence do you suggest for Aria Blaze?"

Twilight lowered her head, defeated. Even now, Celestia was teaching her, but she didn't care for the lesson at all. She closed her eyes, unable to even look at her loved ones as she said the fatal words. "A thousand years in Tartarus."

"Aria!" Sonata wailed, clutching at the bars that separated her from her sister. The iron felt so thin, so feeble, and she had so much power stored up. She could bend them with her bare hooves.

"Hey Sonata," Aria drawled from the far corner of the cell. "Good timing. They just said they're taking me to the princesses soon."

"It doesn't have to end like this," Sonata cried. "I can get you out!"

"Don't even think about it," Aria answered. "You do that, and they'll be sending us all to the moon, or whatever they do these days."

"But... but..." Sonata leaned her head against the bars. "Aria, why'd you do it?"

Aria exhaled heavily. "Look," she said, "all that stuff about happiness and friendship and whatever... maybe that worked for Sunset Shimmer, and maybe it'll work for you, but not me. I like being powerful. I like having people falling all over themselves to see who can adore me the most. I'll never be what these ponies want me to be, and I don't want to." She looked down and away from Sonata. "I had a good run, but one way or another, I'm going down right now. At least I won't be taking you and Adagio with me."

"Aria," Sonata sobbed, reaching through the bars, trying helplessly to connect with her sister. If she could just hold her once more, maybe somehow things would be alright. To her surprise, Aria stepped forward and nuzzled her hoof.

"You know something?" Aria asked.

"What?"

"Back then, when you said you loved me," Aria said almost wistfully, "I think that was the first time anyone ever told me that."

"What do you mean?” Sonata forced a giggle. “Lots of people have said that to you."

"Sure, because I made them. I think you're the first one who ever meant it."

Sonata bit her lower lip to stifle a fresh wave of crying. "Adagio loves you, I'm sure of it," she said past her tightening throat. "Star Swirl too. Maybe even the Rainbooms, now that it's all over."

Somepony cleared her throat behind Sonata. Sonata and Aria both looked to see a royal guard in full armor.

"Aria Blaze," the newcomer stated.

"That's me," Aria drawled.

"It's time."

"No!" Sonata wailed. "You can't take her yet! Please, just give us a little more time."

"Forget it, Sonata," Aria said. "Let's get this over with."

"Please stand back, Miss," the guard instructed Sonata, who obediently took a step backward. The guard unlocked and opened the cell door, and Aria stepped out.

"Aria," Sonata whispered, "I'm so sorry."

Aria snickered at some internal joke. Without warning, she reached over and flicked Sonata's mane with a hoof. "You're the worst, Sonata," she said. One corner of her mouth quirked upward.

The old, familiar insult brought an unwilling snort from Sonata. She mussed Aria's hair in return. "Nuh-uh. You are."

As the guard led Aria away, Sonata knew that those were the last words they would say to each other for a very, very long time.

Adagio and Sonata stood at the front of the small crowd that had gathered in the throne room to witness Aria's sentencing. Celestia had taken her usual place upon the throne, with Luna beside her. More unusual was the purple alicorn who sat on Celestia's other side; Twilight Sparkle tried to maintain a regal bearing, but her glazed eyes and sagging ears told anypony who cared to look that her heart was elsewhere.

"Aria Blaze," Celestia stated, "you are accused of crimes against both Equestria and the human world. These crimes were committed over a span of more than a thousand years, and include but are not limited to: use of illegal magic, use of magical compulsion, thievery, attempted murder, and attempted regicide."

The list of Aria's wrongdoings, particularly the mention of regicide, brought a wave of condemning murmurs from the crowd. Sonata tensed angrily.

“You have already confessed yourself guilty,” Celestia’s voice washed over the noise, instantly silencing it, “so I ask only this: do you have anything to say in your defense?”

A hush fell over the room. Aria easily met Celestia's eyes as she tossed out a single, carefree word.

“Nope.”

Celestia nodded and was silent for a time, allowing everypony to feel and appreciate the weight of the moment.

“Then, Aria Blaze, you are hereby sentenced to one thousand years of imprisonment in Tartarus.” Her horn began to glow. “You may make a final statement, if you wish.”

Aria tilted her head in thought. “I don’t think there’s anything to say,” she finally replied. “I just want my sisters to know that I don’t regret anything I’ve done.”

Celestia exhaled. “So be it. It is my honest hope that a thousand years in isolation may teach you the true value of love and friendship, and that you will return as a better pony. Farewell, Aria Blaze.” She lowered her horn.

Aria was covered in a golden glow. Chains appeared on her forehooves, trailing back before fading into nothingness. Her body became translucent, then transparent.

“Aria!” Sonata lunged forward, only to stop as Adagio placed a hoof warningly against her heart. She was prepared to rip the magic from Sonata’s heart if need be, as Sonata herself had done to stop Aria.

Aria turned to face her sisters. Her body was already mostly gone. She lifted a forehoof in farewell and flashed her trademark smirk.

“See ya later.”

She was gone.

Celestia allowed a moment of silence, then lifted her voice above the rising buzz of the crowd. “This session of the Day Court is dismissed.”

Adagio immediately stalked away, but Sonata held her ground as the crowd dispersed. A few others stayed behind as well. The princesses, of course, had to hold their positions until the room emptied. Sunset Shimmer was there as well. She half-expected to see Star Swirl, but he seemed to have followed Adagio from the room.

As the doors slammed shut behind the last of the ponies leaving, Twilight’s mask finally crumbled. She sank to the ground and buried her face under her forehooves, her heart breaking for the one she’d been forced to punish.

“Princess Twilight,” Celestia said softly, heedless of Sonata and Sunset slowly approaching the dais, “are you upset with me?”

She was. She was furious that Celestia had made her do something so horrible. But… no, Celestia had merely pointed out the flaw in what Twilight had wanted to do, a flaw that Twilight herself had recognized even before she proposed it. She could always have gone through with the sentence of banishment anyway, but she had come to the final decision on her own, based on the available evidence and her own knowledge of Equestrian law. This wasn't Celestia's doing.

“I guess not,” Twilight answered. “I feel like I should be. I want to be. But I’m not.”

“It was the correct ruling,” Luna said to her. “I would have come to a similar conclusion.”

“As would I,” Celestia added.

“Then why does it feel so wrong?” Twilight asked. “I—“ She looked up and gasped as she realized that Sonata was at the foot of the dais. Her wings flared in alarm, prompting the royal guards who were present to step in front of her protectively.

“No, I'm sorry, it’s okay,” Twilight said to the guards. They glanced around uncertainly, but stood down. Twilight wanted nothing more than to flee, to teleport out of that awful room and fly someplace far away, someplace where she’d never have to see Sonata’s sad, angry eyes again. Instead, she stepped forward.

“Sonata,” she said, “I’m so sorry that it had to come to this.”

“Why?” Sonata asked. “Why did it have to come to this?”

“Aria had to face justice for her crimes,” Twilight explained sadly, “and the ponies of Equestria needed to know that they would be safe from her.”

“You told me that everything would be okay!” Sonata cried. “You promised!”

Sonata’s sorrow cut Twilight like a razor. She opened her mouth to say something else, but there was simply nothing to say. Thankfully, Luna stepped forward to fill the space.

“Sonata Dusk,” she said, “Princess Twilight has had a very trying day, as have we all. You have my deepest condolences. If you would like to talk to somepony, I would be happy to send for some tea for us.”

Sonata gritted her teeth, tears running unchecked down her face. She considered the offer, then shook her head.

“Never mind,” Sonata said. “Sorry.” She wiped at her eyes, then turned her back on the princesses and left the room.

“I’ll take my leave as well,” Luna said once she was gone. “I should get at least some sleep before the Night Court. 'Tia, Twilight, Sunset, good afternoon.” Her horn glowed blue, and she vanished.

“Twilight,” Celestia said sadly. “I understand if you don’t wish to speak to me right now. I hope that, when you’re ready, you will write to me. In the meantime you should be with your friends. Farewell.” When Twilight didn’t respond, she, too, teleported away.

“Twilight?” Sunset hesitantly climbed the first step of the dais. “Are you okay?”

Twilight shook her head and turned away, hiding her tears from the unicorn.

“You did the right thing,” Sunset said, coming up beside her. “You did the best you could with what you had. That’s all that anypony can do.” Twilight didn’t answer, so Sunset gave her a gentle nuzzle. “Come on,” she said sadly, “our friends are waiting for us.”