• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 18,358 Views, 659 Comments

Regarding Falling Villains - naturalbornderpy



Given the successful befriending of Discord, Princess Celestia deems that no longer will villains be defeated but instead reformed. Brought back from the dead and stripped of his powers, Sombra only wishes he could have stayed dead all along.

  • ...
41
 659
 18,358

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 19: Regarding White Rooms and Nighttime Mares

REGARDING WHITE ROOMS

I smelled fresh flowers and antiseptic, some dried blood still clinging desperately to the inside of one of my nostrils. My torso had been heavily wrapped in gauze and several types of thick creams and cooling gels had been applied liberally to all of my burns. A thick pillow rested behind me and the bed’s thin covers had been pulled up to my chest.

These were all things I had noticed before opening my eyes, but what I was most interested in was whose leg was wrapped around my neck.

I cracked open a single eye and closed it immediately. The room I had been placed in was too white and sterile and its overabundance of light made my eyes want to water. A gentle breeze silently blew in through the open window, tugging at the parted curtains.

Once my eyes adjusted to the brightness, I carefully turned my sniff neck to see who I was sharing a bed with. It was a pleasant surprise.

“Twilight?” I mumbled, my dry throat making the sound nearly inaudible.

Her small head pressed into the crook of my neck, eyes closed and peacefully sleeping. She kept her legs well away from my numerous injuries.

When I first came to, I had wanted to get up and exit the horribly silent room as hastily as I could. Only now did I feel I could stay still for a time.

Once I dealt with one small issue.

Spike the Less Annoying Dragon sat in a visitor’s chair against the wall, propped up on a claw, snoozing hard enough for a snot bubble to adhere to his nose. Grimacing from the strain on my already pained head, I used my horn to force his chair first to the open doorway and then out into the hall. Once a safe distance away, I shut the door and spun the lock.

Twilight stirred from the noise. “Oh… oh crap.” Blinking the sleep from her eyes, she blushed and awkwardly shuffled off the thin hospital bed, plopping down on a nearby chair. She ran a hoof through her mane, straightening a few wayward strands. “Sombra, you’re awake. I… didn’t mean to fall asleep like that—I’ve just been here for so long already, and—”

I sat up, wincing at the fresh pain in my torso. “You didn’t have to get up, Twilight.”

She couldn’t even look me in the eyes. “The fact that I was in your bed was irregular enough, Sombra. You were only shivering in your sleep, is all. I asked for more blankets a while ago, but I think they’ve forgotten I asked.”

“You should remind them you’re a Princess.”

She waved a hoof at me. “I’ve never been one to wave around a title. Unlike some.”

I smiled, happy despite the throbbing ache in my head and the mild pain in most joints. I took a moment to glance around the room. Three thin tables encircled the room; each one held dozens upon dozens of bouquets of flowers and baskets of candies. Small stacks of cards were piled next to them where there was excess room, although more than a few had already spilled to the floor. There must have been hundreds of them. There was even a third chair on the other side of my bed, occupied by a life-sized stuffed Pinkie Pie. I turned my head from side to side and was alarmed to find its eyes seemed to follow me wherever I went. In one hoof it held a helium balloon with the message, “Get Well Soon!”

I tried to ignore the overwhelming smell of chocolate and roses.

“Whose room did I steal?”

Twilight leaned forward on her chair. “What do you mean? This is your room. You’ve been here for five days now.”

I motioned to the assortment of gifts. “Then why is all this here?”

She appeared surprised by my question, and a little pained. “Sombra, you remember what happened with the dragon, don’t you?”

“Yes. It scorched the town and then left. Along with Discord.”

Twilight paused. “Well, I guess that’s one way of putting it, yes, but don’t you realize that that dragon never would have left if it wasn’t for you?”

I wasn’t sure where this was going. “Someone would have dealt with it in time.”

She shook her head. “But they didn’t—you did. And you suffered tremendously for it. But in the end it was you who saved Ponyville. Don’t you understand, Sombra?” She held a hoof to one of the overflowing tables. “That’s what all this is. It’s a thank you from everyone—practically everypony in town.”

I lazily scooped up an open card on my bedside table. On the cover it had a filly with a bandage around its head sitting at the bottom of a slide. I opened it and found it had come from the Cake family. Its short message read: “After careful consideration, I’ve decided against pressing charges for that foal incident. That doesn’t mean you’re not still banned from Sugarcube Corner. Feel better.”

“How sweet,” I mumbled indifferently, before setting the card back. I still felt uneasy about it all. I turned to Twilight. “So once again, I almost die and suddenly everyone wants to be my friend. I’m started to detect a pattern.”

Twilight chewed on something sour. “I wish you wouldn’t put it like that.”

I collapsed onto my pillow, itchy and uncomfortable in my wrappings. I turned away from her. “I suppose you’ll want to talk about what Discord said.”

A wave of tension seeped into the room.

“We… can talk about that later, Sombra,” she said. “Right now, there’s actually something I need to show you. You might not like it, but a lot of ponies have spent a lot of time setting it up. They were all just waiting for you to wake up.”

I thought bitterly, When was the last time I got to do something that I actually liked? Then I answered myself: one-thousand years ago.

I turned my head to her. “Tell me it’s not another dragon.”

She smiled. “It’s not. But you might wish it was.”

REGARDING KEYS

With her horn, Twilight pushed the back of a wheelchair she had effortlessly coaxed me into sitting in. A moment before that, some nurse with a pink mane and the bedside manner of a stick ordered me to wear some frilly hospital gown that covered my stomach and left most everything else hanging in the breeze. I was so confused whether to feel naked or not, living in a world of completely exposed ponies. Who in Tartarus thought of these rules?

As we approached the entrance to the hospital, I first heard the murmuring of hundreds of others. The bright sun hit the hospital windows and cast the shadows of eagerly awaiting citizens. They sounded happy—too happy.

I turned back in my chair. “I don’t want to do this, Twilight.”

She didn’t stop pushing. “Just smile and wave, Sombra. It’ll be over before you know it. And maybe you’ll remember all this next time you decide to take down a dragon all by yourself.”

Someone from outside pulled the doors open as we arrived, and I shielded my eyes from the blinding rays. Next came the joyful cheer of hundreds of gatherers, whooping and hollering as if I was about to give them all something for free. It was then I was reminded Ponyville specialized in two types of events: disasters, and absolutely any excuse to leave the house.

We love you, Sombra!

Some mare leapt above the throng of ponies and waved her legs insanely in the air. At her sudden wave of elation, I lowered in my seat and murmured, “I don’t even know you.”

A half-dozen guards flanked a thin path to a ready-made stage on the lawn. Try as they might to quell the large mass, more than a dozen eager watchers managed to push through and personally gave me their gratitude for saving their ramshackle town. If only they knew I had unknowingly also been the reason for it…

Some light-green stallion followed my chair. “I’m so sorry I spit in your coffee before! That was when I heard you were a huge jerk that killed ponies for fun, but now coffee’s on the house!”

As pleased as I was about my increased free coffee supply, I could have done without the never-ending armada of hug-happy guests. One after the other, they nimbly trotted past the guards, wrapping themselves around me as I tried to escape my chair. Ribs still fresh from being crushed into dust, I merely grumbled, “Ow,” until they let go.

Twilight stuck her head around my chair. “Isn’t it nice to be loved by everyone, Sombra?” Clearly, she was enjoying every minute of my suffering.

“Knowing me, I’ll get them all to hate me again before the day is through.”

An older mare shot towards me, a leg wrapped around a pleasantly sleeping filly. “Kiss my baby, Sombra!” is what she said, although due to the roar of the crowd, I heard something far different.

I surprised her with a giggle. “Oh, I better not. Too many ponies around, I’m afraid.”

Her enthusiasm died as I rolled past her.

Twilight asked, “Why wouldn’t you give that cute little filly a kiss?”

“Kiss? Oh! I heard something completely different.” I ran a hoof across my moist brow. “Wouldn’t that have made for a terrible mistake?”

Twilight’s eyes widened as she shoved me faster to the stage. Once there, I was allowed to stand again as I took position next to the ruler of Ponyville—or the mayor, or whatever they’d called it. A sharp wind swept across the front lawn, plainly exposing my backside. Oddly enough, I wasn’t even mad. It seemed I had grown accustom to being the joke of the universe.

“Greetings, everyone!” the mayor began, visibly happy despite her declining approval ratings. (I had skimmed Twilight’s newspaper the morning of the dragon attack.) “I will not waste time, because I’m sure you want to hear from the stallion himself, so all I will say before we get on with it is thank you, Sombra! Through your bravery and dedication, Ponyville got through its fifteenth national emergency this calendar year, meaning that only an average of eleven remain until New Year’s. So for your efforts, I hereby award you with the key to the entire city!”

Some secondary official hoofed over a large golden key the size of my leg and I held it to my side awkwardly. When the cheers and stomps dried up a few moments later, the mayor ushered me over to the podium and live microphone.

On rubbery knees I went, throat parched and all at once, missing my hospital bed. I had made speeches in the past—thousands, probably. Only this time ponies wanted to hear what I had to say. What an odd concept.

I said meekly, “Hello…”

Hello, Sombra!” they yelled in return.

I was back in rehab all over again.

“I know…” I started, pondering what possibly to say to every beaming face. “I know your homes have been destroyed. I know many of you are forced to live with others and rebuild once bright and successful lives. I know you may find the task too much to bear or may wish for some simpler solution. I know you must now live in fear of the very real prospect of that same dragon returning and devouring everything it wants. I know your dreams must be haunted by recurring images of fire and blood and carnage. I know you must be suffering even more than I am right now. I know you must be thinking a lot of dark and depressing thoughts right this very moment. So because of this, I will let you in on one very important fact that you should take with you and remember always. And that is to stop hugging me. Stop it right now.”

I held up my new golden key for all to see. “And one last thing, before I forget. I solemnly promise to use this key for good and not evil, and not to break into to all your homes should the urge strike me in the middle of night. Thank you.”

While crossing the stage to the stairs, I tipped Twilight a wink. I could tell by her shell-shocked expression I had said something wrong. Well, I had made it longer than I thought I would this time.

REGARDING NIGHTTIME MARES

It was sometime in the middle of the night and I had a visitor. Given the stringent rules of the hospital—and even the large fact that Princess Twilight Sparkle wasn’t allowed to stay past regular visiting hours—I knew this certain visitor wasn’t one I’d want to see.

Also, I knew for a fact that they were dead.

“Greetings, my King.”

I sat up in bed, the weeks of recovering there turning all my pains into dull aches and my limbs and muscles weak and soft. I rubbed at my eyes more than once from the sight.

“You shouldn’t be here,” I said, before rethinking. “You can’t be here. You’re dead.”

The stallion raised his detached head with one leg, grinning at me with most of his teeth. Twinkling bits of silver shimmered in his coat and I found no blood on him. It would have dried some time ago.

He told me softly, “I know that as well as you do, my King. I’m only here because of you. My spirit is long gone from this world and the only one controlling this illusion is you. You must want me here. That is all there is to it.”

I shook my head. “No matter the reason, I want you gone. You are a relic from the past that I’d rather forget. I’ve… changed since then. I’ve helped others. I’m different now.”

His decapitated head chuckled. “That doesn’t give you the right to ignore those you’ve wronged, my King. Was that what all my life was leading towards, to become some bad memory to be forgotten once you’ve deemed it should be?”

I spat at him, “You stole from the King! You got what you deserved!”

He turned his eyes to the floor. “I stole food from your stocks a single time to feed my family. There was no warning, there was no second chance. I died that same day and my family followed close behind when they had no means to support them. I’m sure I could have stolen from some weaker slave or simply murdered them for all they had—I could have gotten away with it, too. But that was not the pony I wanted to be. And because of that, I died. We all did.”

In the face of one of my dead subjects, I wanted to berate the poor fool—I wanted to conjure up every last ghost of my old self and tell him exactly what a King would say. But I couldn’t find the strength to do so.

I said, “Leave me alone. I don’t want to hear anymore.”

“Obviously you do, my King, otherwise I’d be gone already.” He slipped his head back onto his neck off-kilter, crossing to the side of my bed. “You may have convinced yourself that you have changed. You may have convinced others, as well. But no matter how deep you bury your past, it will remain as ingrained as ever. You have hurt too many. You have destroyed too much. Are you truly deserving of peace and happiness after all that you’ve done?”

I could hardly look into his sunken eyes. “Yes, I am. I wasn’t in control back then. It’s not my fault. I didn’t ask to be this way! Not forever!”

He turned his head from side to side with a hoof and pointed at my horn. “You cannot blame everything on that, my King. You asked for it—you searched for it—and now it’s yours, forever and always. And now you must live with it, as you must live with every horrid thing you’ve done.” He held out a leg to the tables of cards and gifts.

He whispered, “You don’t deserve this. You should have stayed dead.”

I shut my eyes, unwilling to view him anymore. “Go away!” I yelled.

I opened my eyes to find my room empty again, a deep blue shine cast by the window near my bed. I slowed my rapid breathing and tried to quell my hammering heart. Sleep would be hard to find again, I knew.

Then someone tapped against my window.

“Your dreams have become troubling, Sombra. Do you wish to speak of them?”

Princess Luna and I strolled along the outside of the hospital, enjoying the serene silence of the night and the soft breeze that ruffled against the nearby trees. Once I turned and found her outside my room, I awkwardly shuffled outside, happy to be away from the place. I’d occupied it for too long already. Although I had a feeling our conversation that night might not be as pleasant as I would want.

“I…” I began, before something else pulled at me. “Why are you looking into my dreams? I don’t believe you have any business there.”

Luna disagreed. “You would be incorrect, then. I control all dreams and it is my duty to see over them. It only happens that I view yours more often than I should, even if they are more somber than most.”

I ignored the play on words. “So you viewed the one tonight?”

“Yes.”

I hesitated, both wanting and not wanting an answer to my question. “So, do you think they’re right? Do I not deserve to be happy, after everything I’ve done?”

She stopped to look at me. “There was no pony speaking to you, Sombra. What it told you was what you wanted to hear, for better or for worse. These are clearly thoughts you’ve had, but haven’t had the willingness to address. It is a question asked by you and directed to you, and you can have the answer.”

I stared at her blankly. “That doesn’t help, Luna. I wanted an answer from you.”

She shook her head. “You will not receive one. You must make up your mind on the subject. Only you.”

I sighed. “It’s times like these you remind me an awful lot of your sister: vague and unclear. You’re both lucky Twilight’s clever enough to see through all your garbled messages.”

Luna turned to stare at her starry sky, a small smile on her face. “You believe my sister would be asleep by this time?”

I furrowed my brows. “What? How would I know? Probably, I guess.”

She continued to watch the sky. “I know she is. She sleeps soundly, most nights. She rises to greet the day like clockwork and returns to the realm of dreams the same. She is also a very sound sleeper.”

“I… umm…” I was becoming confused, and mildly concerned.

Luna turned back to me, focusing on my remaining bandages. “How fare your wounds, Sombra? Will you be staying here much longer?”

“A few more days, I think. More observation than anything. It’ll be good to move around again. I’m more than sick of that bed I’m in.”

“Do you believe it’s made you weak?” she asked with that damn smirk again.

“I wouldn’t say that—”

Luna cut a leg under all four of mine, toppling me to the grass. By the time I cursed from the mild pain in my chest and spun around, she was already standing over me. She had a look of satisfaction that I found alarming.

She told me casually, “So it has made you weak. And here I was looking forward to another sparring match soon.”

“Luna, what are you…”

She lowered herself to me, warm body pressed against mine. Her face was mere centimeters from me and my eyes darted in every direction but hers. Nearly resting overtop of me, she unknowingly pressed down on my wrapped chest, causing me to wince.

I squeaked out, “You’re heavy.”

My jab did little to sway the mare. “You’re not very good at this sort of thing, are you?”

I gulped. “Luna, before this goes any further, we need to talk.”

I felt her breath on my neck. “Is that not what we are doing?”

I stammered, “No, I mean, this… this isn’t right. I know before—”

She put a hoof to my lips, making my eyes widen. “Before you say anymore, I want to show you something. But you need to be still and you need to be quiet. Do you understand?”

I had really grown to hate surprises.

She nodded. “Good. Now hold tight.”

In a snap of white, we left the lawn for some blackened pit. I could feel Luna still overtop of me and something cool and hard against my back. I was instantly reminded of Canterlot.

I said, “Luna, really, we need to—”

She shushed me. “Let me find a light first, Sombra. Keep your voice down.”

A faint blue aura wrapped along her horn as a single lamp turned on in the corner of the room. Awkwardly, I turned my head to find a richly decorated space. Large, ornate tables sat against the walls, covered in dozens of scrolls and texts. Paintings hung from every wall and each window frame was lined in gold paint, as were the pillars that connected the roof with the floor. It was all very nice looking indeed, and without a doubt it must have been one of the rooms in Canterlot.

I turned back to her. “You brought me to your bedroom?”

She grinned. Not in a good way. “Close.”

With a leg, she angled my head to the side of the room I hadn’t looked over. What ate up most of the space was a four-post bed with light-blue linen. My head was forcible angled a bit further to the right until I noted the bed wasn’t empty at all.

I tried to scream, but there was a hoof already digging deep into my mouth.

Luna whispered in my ear. “You need to calm down, Sombra. It is okay.”

Nope. Actually, it wasn’t. And I could only hope my continued halted screams told her as much.

The sole occupant of the room’s lavish bed was none other than Princess Celestia, snoozing gracefully with a black eye-mask over her face, her ever-flowing mane toppled against every pillow, clearly finished for the day.

I shook my head vigorously, charging my horn to teleport away.

Luna put a hoof to it, cancelling my spell. “I would not use dark magic so close to my sister, Sombra. Such a thing could wake her in an instant.”

We both turned to the bed as Celestia rolled to her side—the one facing us. I felt on the verge of blacking out.

When my screaming became a series of shakes and hyperventilation, Luna took her now slobbery hoof from my mouth.

I told her bluntly, “Get me out of here. If you have any semblance of a soul, you will get me out of here right this moment.”

Her smile only grew. “Do you not find this exciting?” She lowered her head to my chest to whisper in my ear. “Ever since you left Canterlot, there has been such excitement in my life. Fights, clashes with dragons, Discord run rampant once more. I haven’t felt this invigorated in such a long time. And it’s all because of you, Sombra. We both live to search out that which gives our lives joy—sometimes from the test of one’s courage and fortitude.” She kissed my trembling face. “Which is why I knew for our first time together, we would need to do something far more dangerous than most.”

Not like this, I thought. It can’t end like this. There was so much more I had wanted to do—so many things I had wanted to see before I died.

I stared at the ceiling, afraid to move at all. “The only difference, Luna, is that if we’re caught, you’ll only get a stern lecture, while I’ll be castrated and killed and then brought back to life for another round. This is a bad idea. A very bad one, indeed.”

Her breath was heavy on my cheek. “Which is what makes it so appealing to me.”

A book toppled off a desk near the entrance to the room. I choked on air and felt Luna’s warmth disappear from my side. Then I heard the ruffling of covers.

“Sombra?” someone asked sleepily.

Feeling as though I were to faint, I slowly turned and found Celestia sitting up in bed and staring at me bewildered. Luna had clearly exited the room before she’d come to.

The first thought that came to my mind was pretending to be a rug. The only glaring issue with that plan was that I was far too good looking to be stepped on. Instead, I went with something more childish.

I said, “No?”

Celestia edged to the side of her bed, carrying her covers with her. “So it’s true. I had always thought—okay, hoped might be the more apt term—that this was the case, but now it all seems clear.”

And to think, I never had the chance to tell my soft bits how much I would miss them.

She exited her bed and smiled warmly. “We had both pretended to hate each other for so long, but to think, in the end it was all an act. I must have always had feelings for you, Sombra. Maybe that’s why I brought you back like I did. Hoping… wishing you’d see something in me that you’d like.” She smiled. “Now I find you sneaking in here in the early hours of the day… you’ve never been the subtle type.”

I had come back to this life naïve. I should have known there were always worse fates than death.

“Come here, my dark chocolate sweetie.”

In a powerful aura, I was scooped from the floor and placed beside her. Her face came closer to mine as something warm and acidic attempted to climb back up my throat. I hoped Celestia enjoyed the taste of vomit.

“I believe you have had enough for one night.”

Luna’s voice echoed off the walls as they tumbled to the ground around me. The bed I sat on melted to the floor as Celestia vanished in a puff of white dust. The room I occupied disappeared into a blackened void and soon I felt the moist prickles of grass on my back.

I opened my eyes and stared at the sky. I was outside the hospital again, my body drenched and my limbs tense. Luna sat to the side of me, head down with a forlorn expression.

She said, “That was petty of me, I know. But I will not apologize, because I do not believe you would do the same for me.”

I sucked back the cool night air, both relieved and concerned. “That was all a dream?”

“Yes.”

I shivered. “Why would you do that to me? That was horrible.”

“I hope you are referring to the part with my sister.”

I kept silent.

Luna exhaled and ran a leg across the grass. “While you were in recovery, I spoke with Twilight Sparkle. It seemed the pair of you had been getting along much better than I had thought.”

I perked up at this. “What did she say?”

“I will not divulge what she told me, Sombra, I will only say that the look in her eyes when speaking of you told me all I needed to know. There is something between you two, it is clear. At the moment, it is not concrete and I believe it to be a fragile thing, but it is there nonetheless.” She said dourly, “What you’d been searching for all this time, I believe.”

As good as I wanted to feel given that Twilight had spoken positively about me, I knew I had to defuse the situation as gently as possible.

I asked, “Then why give me those dreams, Luna?”

“Because you knew I had feelings for you, and all that time you could have told me I would never receive any in return. You have fallen for Twilight and it seems as though she may do the same. I will not lie and try to deny my bitterness or jealousy, I only do not like being strung along.”

I told her honestly, “Truthfully, I had no idea I was doing such a thing. Events have… been more than odd than I could have possibly imagined since I’ve left Canterlot. But since we seem to be speaking openly now, I want to know why you’d even have an interest in me in the first place.”

She smiled thinly. “You think you are unworthy of affection?”

“Only curious.”

Luna thought for a moment. “I will admit, my interest for you only came after you had left the castle. Before then, you were some pest that wouldn’t leave and the moment you did, you became something else. Truthfully, I see a bit of me in you. You and I had darkness in our past and we overcame it. We are both not of this time and our understandings of it can only improve. We both love the art of combat and the ways of old.” She paused, before adding quietly, “And perhaps the thought of having someone that would never grow old like everyone else placed you in a warmer light than before.”

I wanted to console her—wrap her in my legs and tell her how sorry I was. But that wasn’t the message I had to leave her with that night.

I said, “Then I’m sorry it’s come to this. Only know I did not mean to hurt you or lead you on. The feelings of others are still something I am growing accustomed to. But know that I will always consider you my friend.”

Luna laughed softly. “First I am labeled ‘heavy’ and then a ‘friend.’ I truly don’t know how much more of this relationship I can take.” She stared at me earnestly. “Now answer my question, as selfish as it is. Why her and not me?”

In my head, I went over all my time spent in Canterlot. It didn’t take me long to come away with my answer.

I told her, “Because she believed in me from the very beginning. While you turned your head away from me as I re-entered this world, Twilight stood beside me and took every bit of negativity I could give. She made me feel wanted in this new world and in turn I only wanted to be near to her. Before I left that castle, you had hardly cared whether at all I succeeded or went back into the blackened abyss. Only when I was free and had my powers back did I become something you longed for, perhaps as the means to fill a void. And that is one thing I can’t be for you.”

Luna nodded. “You are correct, Sombra. When you first came to Canterlot, I was merely waiting for you to turn or to escape. The thought of you changing for the better seemed impossible.”

“And have I?”

She glanced me over. “A bit. In a good way.” She smiled again. “At least I’ll always have the memory of when I stabbed you with my horn.”

I winced. “I wish you’d remember me with something a bit nicer.”

“Maybe when I feel a little more myself.”

Luna plucked herself from the grass and outstretched her wings. She watched the sky again before turning back. “Until next time, Sombra.”

I stood up next to her. “When will that be?”

“When my nights are again in peril, I would assume. Try your best not to die before I see you again.”

Effortlessly, she flapped into the air and over the hospital roof, not appearing in much of a hurry at all. I think she needed time to ponder and fly.

Trotting back to my bedroom window, I contemplated what sort of disaster would bring the pair of us together again, and if such an event could ever be worth it.

PreviousChapters Next