• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 18,369 Views, 659 Comments

Regarding Falling Villains - naturalbornderpy



Given the successful befriending of Discord, Princess Celestia deems that no longer will villains be defeated but instead reformed. Brought back from the dead and stripped of his powers, Sombra only wishes he could have stayed dead all along.

  • ...
41
 659
 18,369

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Regarding Battle Garments and Fire

REGARDING BATTLE GARMENTS

As the others stood shocked, I hurriedly trotted back inside Twilight’s castle. If this was to be my first time squaring up against an opponent on the side of good, I wanted to fit the part. Although the garment I was searching for by no means gave me any increased strength or extra speed or anything of the sort, I knew it would give me the resolve I would need.

The first room held a few passable cloths while the second had nothing at all. Realizing time was of the essence, I made my choice and ran back outside. While most eyes were still on the sky and the slowly approaching dragon, Twilight’s eyes went to me and my new garment.

“Sombra, is that a towel on your back?”

I shook my head. “No. It’s a cape.”

“I really think that’s one of my towels—one of my good ones. Did you stick a pin through it?”

I closed my eyes. “The word is ‘cape,’ Twilight. That’s the word we’ll be using—”

“Is that one of your bed sheets, Twilight?” Rarity gave me a look over. “I had no idea you got new ones recently.”

“It’s a cape!” I screamed at them.

Rarity paused. “Are you sure it’s not a curtain?”

Exhaling loudly out my nostrils, Luna came up to put a leg around me. “Wear whatever you believe will help you in the fight, Sombra. Because I’m sure the large, fire-breathing, earth shaking dragon will show less resolve once it clearly sees you’ve just exited from the bath.”

“Fine! No cape, then!” I tore the reddish cape bordering between cerise and cardinal and flung it to the ground. “I hope you know you’re all being very unsupportive right now.”

Twilight came over. “Sombra, you really don’t need a cape. That was the old you, and this is the new you. And I think the Sombra without a cape is the one ponies prefer.”

Luna tried to add helpfully, “You will fight valiantly, I am sure. Make sure to protect yourself and try to not get in our way, and perhaps try a little harder than when you were sparring with me.”

Twilight stared at her. “When did you two spar?”

Sensing a topic I’d rather not get into at the time, I divided the pair with a leg and addressed the group. “All right, since I’m new to all this saving-the-day stuff, I’ll let the rest of you take the lead. Do we… do we talk to it first, or go right into the ‘hug’ portion of the fight?”

Luna spat, “This beast will receive no such treatment from me.”

Twilight shook her head. “I don’t know where you’re getting that information from, but that’s not how we work.” She thought. “Actually, I’m not sure if we honestly have a surefire way of dealing with these types.” She turned to Luna. “But one thing we do not want to do is hurt this thing. If what Sombra has told me is true, this creature is here because of Discord and his animosity towards him. We need to end this as peacefully as possible.”

Narrowing her gaze, Luna glared at me. “This is Discord’s doing? Why would you not inform me about such a thing? Why does Discord wish vengeance against you?”

I said quickly, “I just spent all day explaining that to Twilight, and when we have the time, I’ll tell you. Right now, we have a dragon to deal with.”

I knew Luna wanted to say more, but held her tongue.

Then we left to greet our guest.

In the time it took to run to the head of town, the mammoth beast boomed into the air once more to call out for its “unicorn thief.” We were only fortunate it had paused long enough to be potentially answered, and hadn’t gone straight for the slaughter.

On the way over, dozens and dozens of panic-stricken citizens galloped in the opposite direction, some screaming while others appeared tired and bored. It was then I was reminded this sort of thing tended to happen in this town on a semi-weekly basis. The only difference this time was the Lord of Chaos’ more vengeful attitude and the fact he appeared more out of his mind than normal. I guess my presence, too, was something new—whether that would prove helpful or the exact opposite.

Rounding the last building at the edge of town, I scanned the thickening smoke and stared in awe at each tall meter of hard-scaled dragon. Its yellow and red eyes pulsed with a haunting glow somewhere high above, the beginning of its torso starting at the tip of Ponyville’s tallest building, while the tip of its head remained somewhere in the smoke and out of sight. Its spread wings spanned half the length of town and its tail twisted against the ground, snaking halfway up a street. It fidgeted in place, peering between rooftops for a sign of anyone approaching. I doubted it would wait much longer.

I’m not proud to admit my limbs became tingly at the sight. I asked the group, “You’ve fought one of these before?”

Following us a meter off the ground, Rainbow Dash said, “Once. This one looks a little bigger, though. Or maybe I’m remembering it wrong.”

“But you won, right?”

She exclaimed happily, “You’re darn right we did!”

“Did you end up killing it?”

Her excitement faded. “What? No, we—”

“Did you mortally wound it?”

“What? Sombra, no!” She flew closer to me. “I mean, at one point, yes, I did try and fight it, but that was different. And when that didn’t work, we then tried to talk to it. We didn’t jump straight to killing it!”

I thought for a moment. “Whose words?”

“Fluttershy’s.”

I exhaled nervously. What Discord had been saying about her staying in that night—the fact that she wasn’t there right now—they were all things I should have picked up on earlier. But then again, how could I have predicted my evening would have been filled by a disgruntled dragon that only Fluttershy could have quelled?

The same thought seemed to occur to Rainbow Dash. She shouted, “And she’s not even here! Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh! Should… should I go back and get her?”

“I have a strong feeling you wouldn’t be able to get to her in time.” Or at all this night, I thought dismally. Then I thought of another reason Discord was trying to keep her out of this: to keep her out of harm’s way.

There were indeed benefits to being the Lord of Chaos’ favorite.

We came to a halt and formed a half-circle in front of the dragon’s gigantic clawed feet before staring upward, most expressions hardened and tense. I was used to combat—in some ways, I loved it. But that was when it was only me versus one of my inferiors. If my kingdom needed to defend itself against invaders, I would unleash battalion after battalion to win my battles for me. Between fights, I would pour my spare magic into their armor—not, of course, for their protection. If I could tell one group of fighters would not be enough to defeat our enemies, I always found it made a satisfying bang when I detonated them. True, I often ended up killing every one of my stallions in the field, but each one could take out fifteen enemies with them or more. And to think I used to laugh as the severed pieces bounced against the dirt…

Maybe tonight I could earn a bit of my soul back.

Rarity glanced at each of us. “So, who wants to speak to—”

You! Vile creature!

It seemed that Luna wanted to speak first, already hovering several feet in the air.

Halt this nuisance upon my land at once and vacate this place immediately! You are not welcome here and are destroying my beautiful night sky with your unnecessary fire! I’m sure that more than a few ponies here wish to bask in my wonderfully painted sky, and now you are keeping them from that! If you continue to scare the populace like you are, I will not hesitate in showing you the full wrath of the Princess of the Moon! This will be your only warning!

Luna returned to the ground, her thin funnel cloud dissipating as her voice stopped ringing across town. Once balanced, she smirked at me. “That should settle this.”

The blue and purple dragon above the smoke lowered its head down to us, its long and thin neck allowing it easy mobility. Each exhale from its tightly clenched jaw was like steam. Its narrow head whipped from one pony to the next, seeming to halt the longest on those with a horn—perhaps longest of all on me. Its red and yellow eyes burned like clear crystals illuminated by fire.

“Who dares speak to me in such a way?”

Luna took a step forwards. “I did, dragon. And I hope you took the time to hear each word I spoke, for they shall not be repeated.”

The sides of the dragon’s jaws pulled up into a tight grin, displaying the first few rows of sharp teeth. It giggled joyously. “Of course it was you. You… unicorn! Let me count how many you’ve brought to me tonight.” It swung its gaze sharply over the rest, causing several to take a hesitant step back. The dragon’s smile widened. It said softly, “Four unicorns… and two with wings, as well. How greedy you must be. The art of magic was not enough for you, so now you’ve forced a set of wings onto you to help you traverse in the sky. That is all right. It is still something that can be undone. And all it would take is one little bite!

It twisted its neck and snapped its large mouth centimeters from Luna’s head, causing her mane to flip back. Luna continued to regard the dragon sternly, not even flinching.

She said, “Now that sufficient taunts have been traded, tell us what has brought you here so we may deal with you and send you on your way.”

The dragon snarled at her. “You know what you’ve done! You know what you’ve taken! Even now I smell it in this town—its scent calls to me. No doubt you’ve hidden it away—now I only wonder who will become the traitor in your little group.”

Twilight walked over to Luna, putting herself in clear view of the dragon. “If you don’t tell us what you think we’ve taken from you, we can’t help give it back. What is it you’ve come here for, exactly?”

The dragon lowered its head to the dirt and slowly slid it towards them, carving a thick gash into the earth. “So you plan to deny it, do you? Stealing from me?” Once its head was a few feet from Twilight, Luna wrapped a leg around her and cocooned them in a shield. The dragon huffed out its nostrils, its breath pushing against the smoke as it bounced against its surface. “Fine, then. We shall play it your way, if that is your wish. I have always wanted to know what your flimsy magic could do against real fire.”

While the dragon was preoccupied with Luna and Twilight, I tried to dive into its mind—to pull back all those thin layers that hid what it feared most. The only problem was that this creature was a lot larger than any I had mentally broken apart before, and the only way inside were through the eyes—ones that, at the moment, moved around with snake-like precision.

Ones that now stared at me with avid interest.

“You,” it growled. “You seem out of place, do you not? Yes, yes you do.” It sniffed at the air. “A stallion surrounded by mares? Do you believe they will be capable enough to help you, should I decide to bite off each one of your legs?” Then its venomous eyes found my horn and widened. “Oh, my! Are you not the most special of all? Not only must your compatriots don both wings and a horn, but you… you must have traded something special for that horn, didn’t you? And here I thought all those stones were gone—and was it worth it, in the end?” It grinned at me happily. “Of course it wasn’t! It never is! That’s the way it works, you fool! Just how old you must be to lay claim to one of those? Could that have been you all those years ago?”

I couldn’t take my sight from the beast. Both pulsating eyes seemed as though they wanted to devour me whole, along with all my dark secrets.

Twilight yelled to me, “Sombra, get back!”

The dragon’s mouthful of burning fire came close enough for me to sweat.

It said, “Old unicorns are the greediest of unicorns, full of tricks and illusions. You probably want to die already, don’t you, given that horn of yours? Fine. Then let me cleanse what’s left of your tortured soul in my healing flames.”

Then it opened its jaws, and I glimpsed the brightest light I’d ever seen.

REGARDING FIRE

I am not new to pain. I have lived in it and I have caused untold amounts of it and since reentering this world I’ve died and died again and almost died a third time. But fire is different.

Fire hurts. Bad.

If I had to think of some torment for Discord to live through for the rest of his never-ending days, it would be to set him on fire—perhaps a single hot poker shoved in a place that isn’t exactly a pocket. I’m sure he would transform himself into a marshmallow or an ear of corn, but still, the sight alone would be enough. As long as he agreed to scream for at least a little while, that is.

So where was I again, before we started talking of pain? Oh, yes. I was on fire.

Arrraaghghghhhhh!” I informed anyone in Ponyville whose ears I could bend, as I galloped directionless up some random street in the opposite direction of the group.

A second before the dragon incinerated everything around me, a magical force had shoved me to the side as I, regrettably, could hardly stare away from its gaping jaw. While my torso was flung free from the flames, my tail was not; the burning embers licking at my posterior tempting to bring tears to my eyes. I know it was an odd thing to think of at the time, but it was almost as if my tail was trying to tell the rest of my body some secret—some very hot and painful secret. So with that in mind, I ran and ran and made sure my flaming body part never had the chance to stop swaying in the breeze.

Obviously, it wasn’t the most coherent of plans.

I rounded another corner and heard a window slide open a few houses down. As I ran and screamed I could hardly concentrate on anything at all. That was up until a small pool of water fell over top of me, extinguishing my poor scorched appendage. Now soaked through, I stopped and panted for a moment, before turning up.

“How’s the battle going?”

It was the carrot mare from earlier in the day, an uneasy smirk on her face as she held her overturned bucket aloft.

“It’s…” I could smell burnt, wet hair. “It could be better.”

She nodded. “If it’s not too much trouble, could you try and not destroy my house this time. Last time…” She thought for a moment. “I really don’t want to move again.”

“What house is this?”

“Twenty-four Cherry Street. The pink one.”

“There’re lots of pink ones in this town.”

She sighed. “It’s not my fault they all copied me! But did you know this house used to belong to Royal Duke Shimmering Isles?”

“I have no idea who that is.”

“That doesn’t matter, because this house also received fourth place in last year’s most structurally sound raingutters.”

“So you’re saying there are three houses I should be protecting above yours?”

She blanched. “What? No! Just don’t destroy it this time! I just had the movers reset the piano in the upstairs den and that cost me thirty bits!” Then she slammed the window down and waved me good luck from inside.

Now my list of objectives for the night had grown:

1. Don’t die.

2. If you do die, don’t die in some idiotic manner.

3. Don’t let anyone else die.

4. Don’t destroy 24 Cherry Street—the first of the pinks.

Seemed simple enough.

An immense shadow passed over the street and I glared upward. Luna, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash followed the dragon’s irregular path in the sky, circling and weaving around its massive frame. Rainbow stayed closest to it and somehow looped around the large creature in an apparent effort to confuse it. Second closest was Luna, trying to keep her flight as smooth as possible. Twilight flew furthest away, and even from that distance I could hear her yelling to the beast, still trying to defuse the situation before it got any worse. Having just been set on fire by the thing, I personally thought the time for words was over.

Rarity and Applejack came to a stop nearby, gasping for air.

“Sombra! You all right?” Applejack asked.

I ignored my smouldering tail for the moment. “I’ll be better once that dragon stops breathing.”

She pointed a hoof at me. “You know that’s not how we do things, Sombra!”

I spat at her, “That dragon tried to kill me!”

“Only because Discord made it!” She took a slow breath. “And didn’t you make a promise to Twilight that you would never kill again?”

“I did, but I hardly think now’s the time to—”

“Don’t kill it, Sombra,” she interrupted. “You do, that ain’t somethin’ that just goes away.”

Sensing the mare had already made up her mind on the subject, I held my tongue while keeping my own thoughts to myself. If the dragon could be dealt with peacefully, I would have no problem with that. If it decided that slaughtering everypony in town as its best solution, I would make the hard choice for everyone and live with it. I had killed thousands before—I was sure another body atop the pile would not affect me all that much.

All three of us watched the aerial display in the oddly colored sky as the dragon sent forth another swirling tunnel of golden fire, missing Rainbow Dash by several meters. Luna and Twilight still trailed behind.

I turned to the pair on the ground. “It’s not fair. They have wings and I don’t. How can I help them if I’m stuck down here?”

Both of their eyes widened as I felt a rush of heat behind me. As Rarity turned and scrambled away, she shouted, “I don’t think you’ll need to worry about that!”

Taking the obvious cue, I ran with them as I heard a rumble followed by a quick inhale of air. The wave of crushing heat rushed in behind us, and as the flames nipped at my backside, I realized none of us would be able to outrun the inferno. Using my horn, I shoved both Rarity and Applejack with a forceful push of magic in-between the thin crack of two houses. Knowing I had no hope of diving in next to them in time, I cocooned myself in the thickest shield I could muster and slammed into the ground.

I grunted as I continually forced more and more energy into the barrier, the twisting and turning and consuming flames barely centimeters from my body, wanting so desperately to get in and to devour. Just as the outside of the shield begin to weaken and bend, the fire dissipated, and I was left staring at a blackened and scorched street.

4. Don’t destroy 24 Cherry Street—the first of the pinks.

I wasn’t off to a good start.

Someone landed to my side and spun me around roughly.

“Sombra! Are you wounded?”

Luna’s lowered to me with an expression of concern as I tried to steel myself. As often as I seemed to be on the receiving end of physical punishment, it still irked me horribly to appear weak in front of others. As I got to my hooves, my face flushed and my legs shook violently beneath me. I nearly collapsed again. The energy I had expended to protect me from the fire had been more than I’d thought.

Luna helped me up with a leg. “Maybe this fight is not meant for you.”

I tried to push her aside but she held on. “No. It’s because of me that it’s here to begin with, so I will help fight it. I’ve done enough damage to this town—I don’t want to see it burned more than it is.” I sucked in the heated night air, trying to steady myself. “I’m only useless down here. You all have wings. I have a horn. If that creature remains in the sky, I won’t be able to help.”

Luna nodded. “I understand what you’re saying. The task may seem difficult, but I would not underestimate our combined resolve. That dragon has yet to realize who it’s dealing with.”

It was nice to hear someone who actually thought this might all turn out okay.

I said, “All right. So we need to find a way to bring the dragon down—”

Pointing her head in my direction, Luna wrapped me in an aura and clumsily placed me on her back. Still winded from the magical outpouring, I collapsed on top of her with little more than a grunt. A second later, she started galloping up the street.

“What are you doing?” I yelled into her ears.

Luna jumped and flapped both powerful wings, catching the air as we sailed high over the newly blackened houses. “I’m bringing you to the fight, obviously. That was your plan, was it not?”

“Well, actually…” As we climbed higher and higher and the ground became further away, I frantically tightened my grip on her sides. Heights were still something I could have done without.

She laughed. “You might want to ease your hold, Sombra. If I fall from the sky, you will be accompanying me.”

I released her as much as I was willing to and tried to find a better position on her back. As we got higher into the sky, I tried to take in my surroundings, as well as ignore the ever-present acrid smell in the air.

I told her, “Sorry, but I’m not used to riding atop alicorns.”

She turned her head to me. “Maybe we’ll have to change that tonight.”

I gulped dryly. I had so few problems when I had no friends. I wish someone had explained this part of friendship to me before I started all this—maybe in the fine print in a brochure.

Luna playfully bucked in the air, causing me to nervously clamp down on her again.

“Stop that!” I yelled.

“Only making sure you are not becoming drowsy on me. We are nearing the creature now.”

The immense dragon flapped lazily in the air as Rainbow Dash continued to circle its head, dodging easily each time it tried to clamp its jaws around her. As far as I could tell, Twilight had stopped trying to reason with the creature and was now following close behind it. Knowing her, an idea must have been forming in her head.

Steadily, we crossed over the dragon’s back, trying to keep in sync with its unnatural movements. I yelled above the wind, “What are you planning on doing?”

Luna answered sincerely, “I’m going to ride it.”

“The dragon?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I will try and force it from Ponyville. And because it is an act I’ve always wished to try. I believe it will be fun.”

And here I thought Discord was my biggest enemy. He only wanted to kill me or banish me forever. With Luna, she would end up accidentally killing me, either in some attempt at ‘fun,’ or, when she told Celestia I had no feelings for her, her sister would rip me apart, starting with my most prized possessions. I could only imagine such a thing would inadvertently cause the Princess of the Sun to reopen that dungeon she deemed too ‘evil’ and ‘horrible’ for most. Celestia’s Horror-topia: Population—Sombra the Heartbreaker.

When the dragon’s path straightened for a few seconds, Luna gently touched down on its narrow, hardened back. Despite my tight grip, she plucked me off her back with ease and set me aside. The first time the dragon changed directions, I lowered to its greasy scales and held on until my legs ached. So far I wasn’t enjoying this plan.

As she made her way up the neck of the creature, I asked her, “Why, exactly, did I need to come here with you?”

She didn’t turn around. “You would want to miss out on something like this?”

I didn’t say my next statement loud enough to hear. “Maybe.”

As Luna reached its head, she unfurled a long, thin magic band that burned pure white against the darkness. Extending it above her head, she turned back to me.

“Hold on to something.”

I wrapped myself around one of the dragon’s protruding spines and told myself next time I touched the ground, I’d stay there for good.

The next time the dragon opened its maw, Luna hastily looped it inside and pulled back as hard as she could. The creature thrashed, its neck whipping in all directions as it tried to shake loose, although Luna held on too tight to allow it much movement. She tried to angle its head to the left, the closest area out of Ponyville.

She yelled to it, “Creature! You did not heed my warning, so now I am forced to deal with you! If you continue to struggle, I—

In one swift motion, the dragon spun around until its belly faced the sky. As tight as I had been holding on before, the harsh rotation caused me to lose my grip on its spine and latch onto the one behind it. Now the only thing keeping me from sailing towards the earth were two shaky hooves.

“Luna!” I called.

Already she was trying to readjust the creature, gasping from the strain. “One moment!”

On its own, the dragon flipped again—this time much harder. Before I had a chance to grab hold of something else, I was flung right off its back, watching Luna similarly forced to hover near its neck. While that was all well and good for her, for me…

“Oh, Celestia!”

As I fell towards the earth, I covered my mouth with a hoof. I hadn’t meant to utter such disgusting words, but considering I was about to die again, I felt I could say anything I damn well pleased. The wind rushed through my mane and I glimpsed the dragon writhing in the sky. Then a set of legs grabbed hold of me.

“My apologies for that.”

I glared up at Luna as she continued onward, some of that original elation clearly chipped away. The realities of the fight must have been starting to take hold. Then I realized how this odd scene must look to someone watching below.

“First I can’t have a cape, then my tail’s set on fire, and now I’m being rescued by a mare. This is officially the worse battle I’ve ever been a part of!”

“I beg to differ,” she said. “Remember how readily my sister and I defeated you?”

“I do. This is still worse. I’m useless up here! We need to bring it to the ground.”

“How would you do that?”

I pictured an image and snorted. “Throw a rock at its head, perhaps.”

Luna laughed. “You would need a fairly large rock, then.”

“Have you seen Twilight? Is she still near the dragon?”

Luna’s laughter faded. “No. She flew off a few moments ago. I think she must have a plan of some sort.”

Something around the back of Luna’s head caused me to panic. “Luna! Stop—”

That was when the dragon’s whip-like tail collided into her side and ripped me from her grasp. Again I tumbled away, the town still hundreds of meters below—only this time, I knew Luna had no chance of catching me.

And this time, I knew the ground would not be the one to finish me for good.

As swift as a raging current, the dragon dived towards the earth before looping back, its massive jaws opening directly below me. Would I be chewed, or would I live in the stomach for a while, I wondered? Luna got to ride a dragon that night. I got to be eaten by one. All in all, it had all made for one very interesting evening.

The creature’s mouth opened as wide as it could, and I glimpsed the its slick tongue, as well as the hundreds of sharp teeth lining either side. I concentrated with my horn. As it came up to greet me, the beast closed its mouth with a snap—only after I had teleported two meters to its left.

Sailing fast by its thin torso, I conjured together a curved sword made of raw energy and slashed into its side. My blade sunk a few inches into the creature, but not enough to cause much internal damage. Its scales were too tough and too hard. Still, I thought the roar of pain from the towering beast would help ease my mind, as I splattered against the road.

When I cleared the rest of the dragon and found nothing else to stab at, I closed my eyes and giggled in the wind. I doubt it saw that coming! I thought, perhaps in madness. Then something large and warm snapped shut around me, cutting my conjured blade in two. I opened my eyes again and found nothing but darkness, and a smell that could have only meant one thing.

I had still ended up inside the dragon’s mouth.

PreviousChapters Next