• Published 6th Nov 2014
  • 10,768 Views, 245 Comments

My Little Pony: A New Apple - Hopeful Soul



The Apple Family tree gains a new apple as Applejack becomes a mother to a young colt. The only thing is... he's not from Equestria.

  • ...
25
 245
 10,768

Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Not long after the gang arrived at the school class started, and throughout the whole session Gold Bar kept giving Johnny a dirty look. The eight-year old did his best to ignore it but he knew he was glaring at him and it made him extremely nervous. It soon became lunch time and Johnny was seemingly all by himself, sitting outside the school and eating the lunch his mother gave him when someone spoke to him.

“Well, well, if it isn’t the hairless monkey?”

Johnny turned and saw Gold Bar standing close by with a nasty smirk on his face. He then approached him as Johnny stood up.

“I thought I told you that you’re not welcome here,” he said, harshly. “Do I need to beat that into your skull for you? Huh?”

Gold added to this by pushing Johnny with his hoof.

“Sorry, but I live here and I’m not gonna leave!” Johnny said, firmly. “And you can’t make me leave either, ok?”

“Oh? Did the freak grow a spine?” Gold Bar questioned, looming over him. “You gonna make me back off, weirdo?”

“In a way.” Johnny responded.

“Yeah? You and what army?” Gold Bar inquired, preparing to shove him again before a yellow blur zoomed past him. “What the…?”

Before he could finish Orchard Star suddenly teleported next to Johnny while Sunspot zipped around and faced Gold Bar as well.

We’re his army.” Sunspot stated, glaring at Gold Bar fiercely.

“Gah!” Gold Bar said as he backed away to the side a bit before he noticed Wave Crasher close by.

“Hey, how’s it going?” Wave Crasher asked him, casually.

Gold Bar yelped again and then backed away before he bumped into something big and furry behind him, he turned and gulped when he saw Ironhorn looming over him threateningly.

“Boo.” Ironhorn said, flatly, making Gold Bar scream.

“Now you leave our friend alone right now… and we’ll convince our big friend to leave you in one peace.” Sunspot told him as Ironhorn grinned at him very nastily.

Gold Bar screamed at the top of his lungs and ended up running so far away from them that he ended up leaving the school grounds, not that anypony noticed.

“Heh, what a wimp.” Sunspot remarked.

“So, that was the pain in the Kester that was bugging you yesterday?” Crasher questioned.

Johnny nodded. “Yes, he was.”

“He sure runs fast.” Ironhorn remarked.

“He sure does…” Johnny observed.

“Not as fast as me though.” Sunspot boasted.

“On that we have little doubt.” Orchard Star said, smiling.

“Hey, we all make a good team, don’t we?” Johnny pointed out.

“You bet we do!” Wave Crasher agreed.

“Yeah!” Sunspot added.

“Well, I am just glad that event is over with.” Ironhorn said, satisfied. “I am not a big fan of violence.”

“Seriously? You’re as big as a house!” Wave Crasher pointed out.

“I will not address it.” Ironhorn said, stubbornly.

Crasher smirked. “Speaking of ‘a dress’…” he began before he held up a dress next to Ironhorn. “You mind fitting this for my sister?”

Ironhorn then began angered for the first time and bonked him on the head.

“I do not wear girls clothes,” he told Crasher, sternly.

“Hey, I was only joking… lighten up… I thought you needed a laugh…” Crasher groaned.

“And that is why I do not like violence.” Ironhorn concluded, firmly.

“Hmm, noted.” Johnny said.

“At least it’s all over now.” Orchard Star said, relieved. The others nodded in agreement.

“So… what now?” Sunspot inquired.

“Come on, guys! Let’s play a game!” Wave Crasher suggested.

“Alright!” Sunspot cheered, excitedly.

“Ok, so what do we play?” Johnny asked, interested.

“Let’s play horseshoes!” Wave Crasher declared

“Ok, let’s do it!” Sunspot said, obviously pumped.

“Wait, how does that work?” Orchard Star questioned. “Your mechanical hooves can’t hold things. They’re built for walking, not holding.”

“I know, but all I got to do is use my mouth to pick them up and spit them out forward.” Wave Crasher said. “And it helps that my lips are really strong. Pretty cool, huh?”

“Boy, you’re pretty smart, Crasher!” Johnny remarked.

“Yeah, so much so it’s scary…” Sunspot agreed.

Wave Crasher then put a sheet on and acted like a ghost. “Ooh… scary… scary….”

“And… now you’re an idiot…” Sunspot added, deadpan.

Crasher then began to sulk. “That hurt’s my heart…” he muttered, depressed.

“Yeesh, you’d think his puppy died or something…” Sunspot remarked, baffled.

“Sunspot!” Orchard Star scolded her, appalled.

“What?” she asked.

“That’s not a very nice thing to say.” Johnny said.

“He’s right, girls shouldn’t talk like that.” Ironhorn agreed.

“Ah, zip it.” Sunspot grumbled.

“Ok, that’s enough, everypony calm down.” Orchard Star urged them.

“I vote for calm.” Ironhorn agreed.

“Me too.” Johnny nodded.

“Fine…” Sunspot sighed. “Get the horseshoes.”


A few moments later, each of the five kids held a horseshoe on their hoof, though Johnny held his using his claw like appendages and Wave Crasher held his using his mouth.

“Ok… go!” Sunspot told Orchard Star.

Orchard Star tossed her pink horseshoe forward and nearly hit the bolt in the ground in front of them.

“Aw, so close…” she said.

“I’m next.” Ironhorn said as she tossed his green horseshoe forward, though he ended up throwing it too hard and hit somepony on the head.

“Ow!” They exclaimed.

“Sorry, sir!” Ironhorn called out.

Sunspot turned to Crasher. “Ok, fish boy, you’re up, and please try not to get us in trouble,” she said.

Wave Crasher gave her a muffled ‘Uh-huh’ and positioned himself. He sucked his lips in and then spat out the blue horseshoe like a bullet, however it whizzed by its target and hit the door of an outpost.

“That’s not gonna make me go any faster!” The pony inside shouted. Wave Crasher grimaced that that.

“Ooh… that could have gone better…” he commented. He turned to the others. “Think he’s gonna be mad when he gets out?”

“Probably.” Ironhorn nodded. “As will the guy I hit…”

“Ouch… hey, does anypony know the nearest route to the hospital?” Wave Crasher asked them, hopefully.

“If you mean the morgue, then that way.” Sunspot said, nonchalantly while pointing to the right. “I’m up next!””

Sunspot tossed her yellow horseshoe up and caught it with her teeth before tossing her horseshoe forward like frisbee. It landed just a couple of inches away from the bolt.

“Yes!” she cheered, pleased.

“Not bad Sunspot!” Orchard Star congratulated her.

“Yes, well done.” Ironhorn nodded.

“Meh, I’ve seen better.” Wave Crasher said before Sunspot gave him a death glare. “I mean… until you that is… yeah… that’s right.”

“Smooth.” Ironhorn told Wave Crasher.

“Ok, you’re up next kid, let’s see if you can beat that.” Sunspot challenged him.

“Ok.” Johnny said, innocently as he stepped up to the plate.

Johnny pulled his arm back then threw it with just the right amount of force to send it flying all the way to the bolt, it spin around it before slowly hitting the ground

“I win!” Johnny cheered, happily.

“I lost…” Sunspot said, disappointed.

“Aw, don’t be sad Sunspot, it’ll in good fun.” Orchard comforted her.

“I hate losing, almost as much as I hate staying still.” Sunspot grumbled.

“That’s probably why you lost.” Ironhorn deduced.

“Don’t make me hurt you.” Sunspot warned him. The others just chuckled.

“So after school we’re going to go meet this Spike guy?” Wave Crasher asked Johnny, curiously.

“Sure are.” Johnny nodded, smiling.

“Sweet! Can’t wait till that stupid bell to ring.” Sunspot expressed, gazing at the school bell.

“A watched pot never boils.” Orchard Star said, sagely.

“What are you? A fortune cookie?” Sunspot remarked, slightly annoyed. Wave Crasher began to open his mouth. “Crasher, I will buck you in the face.”

The Sea pony’s mouth quickly closed before he lowered himself out of sight while the others laughed in amusement.


Later, after school, Johnny kept to his word and took his newfound friends to the castle of the Princess of Friendship, which hadn’t changed a bit in the years that he had been in Equestria. The Princess herself had also gotten used to her new home, as did Spike, who was just the dragon they came there to see.

“Here we are!” Johnny declared, gesturing to the giant castle in front of them.

“Wow!” They all said, amazed.

“Now this is cool! You must chill out here a lot!” Sunspot said.

“Only sometimes, I usually stay at the farm and do my chores.” Johnny stated.

“That’s nice.” Orchard Star smiled.

“More like boring.” Sunspot stated, eyes rolling.

“To you, since you claim to hate being on the ground.” Ironhorn pointed out.

“Exactly!” The Pegasus exclaimed.

“Please, just behave yourself inside here Sunspot and don’t touch anything valuable.” Johnny begged her.

“Why are you telling me that?” Sunspot asked, genuinely confused.

“Who else would he tell?” Orchard Star questioned, deadpan.

“Uh… good point.” Sunspot admitted, defeated.

“Then let’s go.” Ironhorn said.

“Right.” Johnny nodded as he went up and knocked on the door three times.

When the door opened a certain purple and green teenage dragon appeared, towering over most of them and looking somewhat lanky. He had a deep voice.

“Hello?” The Teenage Dragon asked.

“Hi, Uncle Spike!” Johnny smiled.

“Hey, Johnny!” Spike smiled back as Johnny rushed over to him and they both hugged tightly. “Good to see you, kid!”

“It’s really good to see you too.” Johnny said, happily.

Spike then saw the others. “Are you gonna introduce me to your pals?” he asked.

“Oh yeah, these are my new friends! Ironhorn, Wave Crasher, Sunspot and Orchard Star.” Johnny said, gesturing to each of them.

“It’s nice to meet you all.” Spike told them.

“Nice to meet you too.” Orchard Star, smiled.

“So… do you really work with the Princess?” Sunspot asked him, eagerly.

“Sure do.” Spike confirmed, nodding.

“And is she here?” The Pegasus asked, sounding excited.

“Sorry, no, had to run an errand.” Spike shrugged. “Sorry.”

“Aw…” Sunspot said, disappointed.

“Sunspot’s a real big fan of the Princess, and Rainbow Dash.” Orchard Star told him.

“Yeah, no surprise there.” Spike remarked. “Everypony’s a fan of her.”

“Well, next to that Scootaloo lady I’m her biggest!” Sunspot boasted. “I was just a foal when I first saw her but ever since then… she’s been my hero and I am gonna be just like her.”

Sunspot stood there looking up with her eyes sparkling, while everypony stared at her, baffled.

“Uh… Sunspot? Your drooling.” Orchard pointed out.

Sunspot then snapped out of it and wiped her mouth. “Oh… sorry…” she said, blushing.

“Well, come on in.” Spike said, gesturing to the open door.

“Sweet!” Sunspot said, as they all began to follow him inside the castle.


As they all stepped inside they gazed at the shining hallways and various decorations that Twilight had added over the years. They were all starstruck.

“Wow!” They all said, amazed.

“This place is amazing!” Orchard Star marveled.

“Totally!” Sunspot agreed.

“Very impressive workmanship…” Ironhorn nodded.

“I’ll say! Hope this place is worth more than twenty carrots!” Wave Crasher joked as he held up a carrot and laughed. They just stared at him.

“Uh… Crasher’s a comedian.” Johnny explained to Spike.

“I see. We didn’t actually make it, it made itself after we stopped Tirek.” Spike explained.

“Oh yeah, I heard about that, that must have been epic!” Sunspot said, excited.

“Not much to tell really, I got trapped in a bubble, Twilight and the others blasted Tirek and the Library blew up.” Spike said, simply.

“I… thought there’d be more to it than that.” Orchard Star pointed out.

“Yeah, Ma tells it better.” Johnny nodded.

Spike frowned a bit at this looking annoyed, then quickly decided to change the subject.

“Hey, anypony want a drink?” Spike offered.

“Sure!” Johnny said.

“Ok!” Orchard Star said.

“Yes.” Ironhead nodded.

“Bring ‘em on!” Sunspot said.

“Coming right up.” Spike said before he walked over to the kitchen nearby.

“Ooh, better watch out folks, those drink might be… spiked!” Wave Crasher joked while everyone stared at him with blank expressions.

“Do you have any idea how far left of funny that was?” Sunspot asked, annoyed.

“Yeah, been there… done that…” Spike called out as he poured a drink into six cups and walked back with them.

“Oh… sorry…” Wave Crasher blushed.

“It’s ok, you actually remind me of Pinkie.” Spike admitted, handing them their drinks one by one. They each took a sip before Crasher realized something important.

“Wait a minute… you mean the Pinkie Pie?” Wave Crasher questioned, surprised. “The best party planner in all of Equestria?”

“That’s Pinkie.” Spike shrugged, smiling.

“Oh man! She’s like my comedy hero! Say, has she ever told this one? Why did the yellow dragon cross the road? Because it was the chicken’s day off!” Crasher quipped.

They all stared at him, confused.

“Huh? Chicken?” Ironhorn echoed.

“Encore! Encore!” Wave Crasher cheered. The others just groaned, dismayed.

“Yep. Your just like her.” Spike concluded. Wave Crasher silently cheered ‘Yes!’ to himself.

“So… you know all of the Princess’ friends?” Sunspot inquired.

“Sure do, and they’re also my friends too.” Spike confessed.

“It’s true.” Johnny told them.

“Yeah, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, the very famous Rainbow Dash, Princess Twilight, Johnny’s Mom and… Rarity…” Spike sighed with a lovesick face, which made them confused.

“Uh… what’s wrong with him?” Sunspot asked Johnny, baffled.

“Oh, he has a big crush on Auntie Rarity.” Johnny replied.

Spike blushed. “Johnny!” he protested. “Not in front of folks…”

“Aw! That’s so sweet!” Orchard Star gushed, putting her hooves on her cheeks and smiling.

“Gotta admit it is touching.” Ironhorn admitted, nodding in agreement.

“More like gross, plus no offence, I don’t think you appeal to her in a romantic sense.” Sunspot told him. Spike’s face then went red.

“No appeal!?” Spike exclaimed, agitated.

“No a peal!” Wave Crasher butted in holding a peeled banana. They all groaned in dismay. “Oh, come on! That was a little funny.”

“No it wasn’t.” Ironhorn said, honestly.

“You know why? Because there’s nothing funny about your jokes!” Sunspot snapped. “Next time you’re thinking of sharing one your ‘jokes’ do us all a favor and hold it in!”

“But I can’t hold it in, when you gotta go, ya gotta go!” Crasher proclaimed. That just angered Sunspot more.

“Easy Sunspot…” Johnny urged her.

Spike chuckled in amusement. “Well, you certainly got Dash’s spirit. I’ll tell you that much.”

“Thank you.” Sunspot said, proudly. The others just rolled their eyes, while Johnny smiled, amused. Then they heard a strange noise coming nearby.

“What was that?” Orchard asked. The then turned to the door, where they heard the noise more clearly.

“Outside…” Ironhorn observed.

“Yeah, something’s happening outside…” Sunspot added.

“Let’s go see what it is!” Johnny said as they all raced to the door.


When they all got outside they were all shocked when they saw a bus full of ponies careening out of control down a hill and it appeared to be heading straight for a cliff.

“That bus! It’s out of control!” Sunspot exclaimed.

“At the rate it’s going… it’s gonna crash into a million pieces when it falls off that cliff!” Wave Crasher proclaimed.

“Not good…” Ironhorn remarked.

“Boy… a lot of things sure do fall down that hill a lot.” Spoke remarked.

“Hello! Bus full of innocent ponies about to get smashed to bits here!” Sunspot pointed out.

“Come on! We gotta save them!” Johnny told the others before they all quickly ran off before Spike could do anything.

The kids all raced up the hill, where the bus was heading their way and soon enough it zoomed right by them, just when they reached the half-way point of the hill.

“After it! After it!” Johnny cried out as they began to chase it down the hill, and from the looks of things it looked like it was getting closer and closer to the cliff, every second.

Eventually Johnny and Wave Crasher grab onto the back and tried to stop it but because it was so big and going down so fast it was nearly impossible for them to do so.

“Too… heavy!” Johnny cried, as he struggled to hold onto the bus, which continued to pull them forward.

“Ok, time to step on the brakes!” Wave Crasher declared, as he jumped up a bit and slammed on the ground using his metal hoofs, hoping to stop it, though they ended up getting dragged through the ground as they continued to go straight down. “Well that didn’t work…”

“Sunspot! Ironhorn! Get in front of it!” Johnny yelled out.

“Right!” Ironhorn and Sunspot both said as they sped ahead of it until they were right in its path. When it came in contact with them, Ironhorn attempted to use his big body to slow it down while Sunspot used her hind legs to do the exact same thing also. The wagon then began to slow down but it wasn’t enough they needed a little more.

“Orchard! Your magic!” Johnny cried.

“On it!” Orchard nodded, as she stopped and lit up her horn. The rest of the cart became enveloped in her magic as she tried to stop it, though because she was a beginning it was very difficult for her. “Ugh… it really… hurts…!”

All five of them tried as hard as they could on both sides of the wagon and eventually it began to slow down and then finally come to a halt just before it reached the cliff. They breathed a sigh of relief when it was over while all the ponies in the bus cheered before getting off and kissing the ground. One of the bus passengers approached them.

“You saved us, thank you,” he bowed, respectively.

“Um… you’re welcome?” Johnny said, unsure of how to respond to such a level of respect.

“We’re just glad nopony was hurt.” Orchard Star said.

Sunspot then cut in. “But if any of you want our autographs we’d be happy to…” she began to say. Ironhorn nudged her.

“Please, there’s no need to thank us.” Ironhorn said.

“Yeah, your all ok, that’s all that matters.” Johnny added. “Ma always said to lend a helping hoof every now and then.”

“Well, whatever the case may be, we owe you kids our lives.” The passenger expressed.

“Yeah, your heroes!” Another one added. The other passengers agreed and started cheering, along with everypony else that happened to be nearby them. The kids all smiled at this while Ironhorn looked a bit uncomfortable.

“Maybe we should go…” he told the others. Then some ponies with cameras appeared and began to take pictures of them.

“What’s your hurry, big guy?” Crasher asked, smiling as the five friends all stood close together while the grateful ponies cheered for them and took their pictures.


Later, back at Sweet Apple Acres, Johnny and his new gang of friends were all drinking Apple cider in the Apple family household while they told Johnny’s mother about their exploits, which she had also heard herself through the social grape vine.

“So, I hear you kids saved a whole bunch of ponies today,” she remarked

“Yeah, we just worked together and we were able to stop it.” Johnny said.

“We sure did.” Orchard smiled.

“Yes.” Ironhorn nodded.

“Totally!” Wave Crasher agreed.

“Personally, I think I could have done it without you all, but it did help that you guys were there.” Sunspot admitted, smiling.

“Good to know.” Johnny beamed.

The kids all laughed in amusement while Applejack looked at them all with a rather nostalgic look on her face and a smile as well.

“You know… Rainbow once did something like in the past… in fact we all did… and looking at you kids… I see a lot of myself and my friends. You kids… are the next generation and as long as you stay together ain’t nothing can beat you, nothing.” Applejack stated.

The kids all smiled, inspired by Applejack’s words. Then something clicked inside of Johnny’s mind.

“Hey… you know I think I just figured out what my special talent is!” Johnny realized.

“What’s that?” Applejack asked.

“Helping other ponies, and that’s what I’m gonna do when I get bigger!” Johnny declared. He looked to his friends. “That’s what we’re gonna do.”

“Darn right.” Sunspot agreed.

“Yes.” Ironhorn nodded.

“Sure, I’m happy to give whatever help I can offer.” Orchard Star smiled.

“Me too! By the way did you ever hear the one about the singing flower?” Wave Crasher asked them.

“Don’t you even start.” Sunspot warned him.

“Oh, the singing flower…” Wave Crasher began before Sunspot promptly bonked him on the head.

“I warned him.” Sunspot said.

“Boy… coming up with a joke is a lot harder than people think…” Crasher remarked.

“How about just stopping the comedy routine all together? Does that sound good or do I need to turn your head into a punching bag, funny boy?” Sunspot asked, looking annoyed.

Johnny just laughed. “Well, let’s all promise to stay together from now on, sound good.”

“Absolutely!” Orchard nodded.

“Rock on!” Sunspot cheered.

“Are ducks funny?” Wave Crasher quipped. Sunspot shot him a glare. “I mean yes!”

“Yes.” Ironhorn nodded again.

Applejack gave him a look. “Boy… and I thought Big Mac was quiet,” she remarked. Ironhorn just shrugged.

“Alright! The gang’s all here! Pile in!” Wave Crasher exclaimed as he held out his metal hoof. The others exchanged looks and one by one put their hooves forward, with Johnny putting his multi appendage hoof last on top of theirs. They all smiled brightly.