• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 4,376 Views, 460 Comments

A New World, A New Stage - tdnpony



A Thief and a Cop find themselves in a strange new world. Watch as their game of cat and mouse continues even in Equus.

  • ...
16
 460
 4,376

Thirteenth Heist

Opening theme:

“You know, this was a much better idea on paper…” Rascal groaned. Currently, the Pokemon (Alice included) were busy pulling the carriages, as Sleight and Storm’s servants were all in bed, covered with heat patches to soothe their sore muscles from the exertion their plan had put them through.

“Can’t be helped, they went all out to help us, so its only fair we return the favor,” Alice sighed. “Sides, think of it this way, we’re all not exactly Pokemon built for strength, so the training would be good...most of us at least,” she said idly, their eyes going over to Scep who didn’t seem all that tired.

“Like I said, I’m not a general for nothin,” Scep said with a small smirk, one notably aimed at the rather tired Weavile.

“Right, right, let’s just keep pulling,” Alice sighed, not wanting to let the argument start. “We’ve still got quite a way to go, and we’re trying to get to those woods by noon, if not mid-day.”

“Right…”

And so the group of thieves turned temporary carriage ponies trudged on to the woods in the distance. They were purposely avoiding Canterlot, as with their latest caper, going there now would be suicide.


Meanwhile, back at the abandoned train cars, a certain Lucario scratched his muzzle. “So...do we even know who these train cars belong to?”

Chief Golden Star walked out of the police carriage, two other earth ponies holding papers for him to sign “These carts belong to a stallion in Canterlot that goes by the name of Express Route. His company owns a tenth of Equestria’s available trains. But who he belongs to is not of much importance, but what we need to find is what exactly happened here,” The old officer said.

“...where was this train headed? You might find something if you ask the station this train is on. Maybe someone might know something,” Jonathan mused.

“The train was headed to Canterlot city, the capital. We’re still waiting for the reports of the company, as luggage belonging to Tall Tale citizens that boarded the train are missing. But our dragon back home got sick, and messenger birds usually take a couple of days if lucky. Until now we got nothing to work with,” Golden Star sighed.

But before Jonathan could say anything, a cry was heard in the plains, a cry coming from the skies.


“Pidgeooo!”

The officer searched for the origin of the source, to find a large cream-colored bird with a colorful crest, descending towards them with a long blue ribbon attached to its leg, and a scroll of paper firmly grasped in its claws.

“What in Tartarus is that?” The officer said in shock, as the bird landed on the wooden roof.

“A Pidgeot. A high level Flying-type Pokemon native to the Kanto and Kalos regions. Judging by the scroll of paper, I think its a trained one,” Jonathan answered.

“Greetings. As the Lucario said, I’m Pidgeot. I was hired by mister Express Route to deliver a message to the Tall Tale police department.” The Flying type announced with a dignified tone.

“Jonathan, do you mind? I don’t really speak bird” The officer chuckled awkwardly, admiring the Flying type.

The Lucario nodded, and stepped towards the Pidgeot. “We’re the Tall Tale police department. What’s the message?”

The Pidgeot tossed the scroll to the Lucario’s feet, and flapped his wings, taking to the air once again, “My sole assignment was to deliver the scroll. The contents inside it are unknown to me. Farewell” The Normal type said, before soaring away into the mountains.

Jonathan picked up the scroll and unrolled it as the others grouped around him to see.

“Directed to Captain Green Lead and the Tall Tale Police Department.

We’ve confirmed that luggage belonging to Tall Tale citizens and tourists was lost on the incident surrounding the disappearance of the train carts, and the destruction around the train itself. We also have two witnesses who seem to know what happened, and whose stories fit with the description given by our experts.

Two dangerous criminals seemed to be the cause of the wreckage, one of them being a Canterlot noble who was later discovered to be guilty of illegal artifacts contraband, and is currently being held by the authorities. The second criminal seems to be a Pokémon that goes by the name… Phantom… Thief Fox…”

Jonathan stared for a moment then shook his head. “Must have been collateral damage,” he shrugged.

“Yeah, doesn’t sound like Fox to go demolishing trains,” Heat agreed, while Howl and Echo nodded.

Golden Star scratched his head, slightly shocked at the current information, “I don’t really believe in destiny, but if I did, I’d dare to say that yours is firmly tied to this Fox gal. Jonathan.”

“...well...my family HAS been chasing after the various Foxes for generations…” Jonathan admitted, scratching the back of his head awkwardly.

“Do keep reading, we need to know as much as we can about this case,” The pony requested, leaning once again closer to the Lucario.

“Right,” Jonathan nodded, and continued reading. “One of the witnesses explained the situation in detail. He claims to have fought both criminals, and also claims that Phantom Thief Fox was responsible for the arrest of the noble, Gray Hat. The witness, who goes by the name of Steven Stone, says that, and I quote, ‘Fox managed to escape by detaching the two final carts from the main unit, Gray Hat’s loot with her.’ More details were given, yet we considered them to be irrelevant to your case. Any further help is unnecessary, but appreciated if given.”

“...well, that explains the train carts at least,” Jonathan sweat dropped. “Unfortunately, that doesn’t tell us where she went,” he sighed. “So...now what do we do?”

“I don’t know what to tell you, Jonathan. I’d like to have an answer for you, but unfortunately, my detective skills are too rusty. The letter did say that help was unnecessary, meaning that they’re probably going to get rid of these carts soon enough. I’ll call some investigators, feel free to search the cart. If anything happens I’ll take full responsibility over it. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a lead.”

“Right. In the mean time, let’s get back to Tall Tale,” Jonathan nodded. And with that, they all returned to the city.


The sun was starting to set by the time the carriage/caravan reached a small clearing in the woods. Once they stopped, Shade and Rascal collapsed, feeling quite tired from pulling the cart all day. Alice on her side wasn’t faring all that much better as she stood down and heaved a sigh of relief.

“You guys need to work on your endurance,” Scep chuckled again.

“If I weren’t so tired...I’d turn you into a popsicle,” Rascal groused.

“Would it kill you both to NOT take shots at each other every chance you get?” Shade sighed tiredly in annoyance.

“Don’t answer that. Please. I don’t need, or want to know,” Alice groaned as she got up, watching Sleight, Storm, and Toichi coming out of the carriage. “So how are they?” she asked, referring to the servants.

“Still pretty sore. I think we’ll have to set up camp ourselves,” Storm shook her head.

“Well, good news is that at least this is a good spot. We’re not too deep into the woods, but we’re far away enough that nobody is likely to find us,” Sleight added.

“I’ll set up the campfire!” Toichi grinned, before trotting over to a few nearby rocks and started levitating some of the larger ones towards the carriage.

“We’ll help dig the trench...just give us a moment,” Shade volunteered.

“You sure? The dude over there looks ready to…” Scep started, before he was interrupted.

“WE’LL go look for firewood,” Alice quickly said, before pushing him towards the woods.

Scep was about to protest, but stopped short when she gave him a pointed glare and mouthed the words, ‘Quiet you’, as they started to go deeper into the woods.


Shortly after, Alice and Scep were walking through the woods, both carrying a sizeable pile of firewood in their arms.

It was quiet moments like this that one often pondered about many a thing. Like for example, a former human companion. When he thought about Alice right now, his steps slowed just a hair. She was pretty much his only ‘real’ friend after all. Oh the Commander tolerated him and they looked out for each other, but with all the bickering Scep couldn’t tell where to place that at. This wasn’t even the half of it. He actually was taking her orders like a…...Pokemon to a trainer. He should feel disgusted by that, but he wasn’t. This didn’t sit right with him really. He was a free mon, yet he wanted to continue adventuring with her.

Scep stopped walking and glanced at the firewood intently as he lost himself in thought. ‘Does that make her my trainer or something?’

“Something on your mind, Scep?” Alice idly asked, noticing his troubled look.

“I…..” Scep sighed. “Dudette, I gotta be honest. This whole thing, traveling with you guys, it’s….a bit to take in really.”

Alice nodded. “I suppose this is quite a change of pace compared to your norm. Anything I can do to help?”

“You’re doing more than enough, Alice,” Scep said. “I just….never thought I’d be so obliged to help a human before.” He chuckled. “It’s almost like you’re my trainer or something. Silly, huh?”

Alice thought about it for a bit. “Ya know...now that you mention it...it does kinda feel like that. Of course, I don’t have any issues with that, but if it makes you feel better, I never thought of my Pokemon the way...many humans did. If anything, I usually let them do what they want, and if they ever felt like leaving, they were free to go any time.”

“That’s….kind of it though.” Scep frowned for a moment then shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t want to go. I never did feel like this with that little girl all those years ago who picked me, but now? Dunno. Just different.”

“Well, like I said. I don’t own you or anything. Heck, I never felt like I owned any of my team. You’re your own person, and if you ever feel that this team isn’t working out for you, you're free to leave,” Alice simply said as she continued walking.

“....I’ll think I’ll stay a little bit longer,” Scep stated, walking alongside her. “I like the adventure and you don’t whack me upside the head whenever I steal things of yours.”

“I’m a thief. I’d be a hypocrite to whack you on the head for stealing stuff. I only do that when you and Rascal start fighting,” she chuckled.

“Yeah,” Scep chuckled himself. “That was pretty tame though. You should have seen the time I stole some of the Commander’s ‘private’ collection….” He looked around, before whispering. “I think the Commander had a thing for Pike Queen Lucy.”

“It's kinda ironic that the leader of the PLA has a thing for humans,” Alice chuckled. “Oh well, I’d rather he be like that than be like...his dad…” Alice shuddered. “Its a shame I didn’t know about this sooner. I might have thrown in my support with your group if it weren’t for all that conflicting information on you guys.”

“Would’ve loved to have you on the team,” Scep smiled. “Who knows, if we bump into the Commander, he might make you a PLA member….Though, probably best to omit Lucy stuff. When I brought up why the Commander had a vid of her swaying backside he yelled ‘RESEARCH’ and smacked me........He does that a lot.”

“I think I’ll pass on full membership. Sides, as it is now, I’ve got other things to take care of at the moment. And noted. I won’t even mention the name,” Alice sweatdropped at the end. The two started walking in silence for a while...before another thought came to Alice. “Hey Scep,” Alice started.

“Yeah?” Scep responded.

“You know how the PLA’s goal was Pokemon liberation and all that? Actually, in a way, I think you guys already won.”

“Alright,” Scep fistpumped. “....What’d I win?”

“...I’m assuming one of your biggest win conditions would have been Arceus being freed, right?” Alice deadpanned.

“Lame,” Scep pouted and crossed his arms. “Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy for the big guy, but what about little ol’ me?”

“...you know, I sometimes wonder if you and Rascal aren’t related. You two behave VERY similarly to each other…” she sweat dropped. “Anyway, my point is, Arceus is free, Pokemon aren’t on Earth anymore, and considering that Arceus probably left something or someway to deal with the criminals left on Earth, humanity is pretty much finished...at least physically. Point is, the Pokemon have been liberated from the humans...in a way, so yeah, technically you guys won.”

“I’m sure the Commander is jumping in joy right,” Scep smiled…..and then laughed. “Oh boy no, he’s going to be pissed.” He clutched his stomach as he continued laughing.

Alice looked at him funnily for a moment, wondering why he would be pissed, considering a win is a win. Then it hit her. “Ah, I see...true, since you have no idea how Arceus got out, odds are it was a human who let him out. Boy, I hope for his/her sake they didn’t get brought along. I think a LOT of former humans would use him/her as stress relief if they ever found out that he/she is indirectly responsible for all this.”

“I bet he’d prefer them to the Commander,” Scep’s laughter died away. “He wanted to be the one to save Pokemon and free Arceus. He kept saying it was his destiny.”

“Er...not to rub salt into the wound, but do the Elemental Plates and Spear Pillar mean anything to you?” she asked.

“Char would always preach and talk about them,” Scep shuddered. “When he wasn’t….purifying heretics, he was looking for them. Sev gave him that mission...They do sound fancy though. Always wanted to snatch them up.”

“Well...my ancestors got their hands on a few of the plates from time to time. Actually, we’ve stolen a lot of things that were said to belong to some of the Legendaries… But anyway, at least you were on the right track. The plates are more than just fancy items. Aside from giving a boost to any Pokemon of the corresponding type, there are a few old records and legends about them. Our ancestors who sealed away the Legendaries in the first place were a bit sloppy in destroying information, so the legends say that those plates are the key, or at least part of the key in breaking the seal. And all things considered, looks like its true to me,” she said.

“Same here and I don’t even know half of what you’re talking about,” Scep answered.

“Ah...sorry. I’m rambling again. I was studying to be a Pokemon researcher before all this happened, and my interest was our origin. Thanks to my family’s connections, I was able to dig up some of the...classified documents and artifacts found. In fact, I was planning on writing a paper on a possible origin of humans. Your General Char would probably have my head if he ever heard about this, but I think humans were once a species of Pokemon themselves,” she said, getting into what her team had dubbed: Researcher mode.

“You’re right,” Scep deadpanned. “He’d have your head for that...Or burn you in ‘holy fire’. He’s not exactly a fan of humans.”

“Maybe, but there is evidence to support that, though I can explain that later. From what you’ve said, I’m guessing this Char has his reasons...aside from the bad blood that Arceus has with the worst of humanity. Was he abused by humans?” she observed

“His father was a saint from what I hear,” Scep explained. “Thought everyone was equal. He wouldn’t hurt a fly. Still, he did recon missions from time to time and took his son for a spin….There were Team Rocket members in the area….They shot him down with an RPG. Char’s been afraid of heights ever since, which is why he won’t evolve past a Charmeleon. Thankfully, he survived the fall thanks to his father’s bulk and escaped.”

“My condolence. He’s not the only one who’s lost people they cared for to people like Team Rocket. I’m fortunate that I’ve...had it easy, but my family does know the grief,” Alice sighed.

“I’m sorry for your loss,” Scep sighed. “And I’m sorry for bringing it up….I shouldn’t have, cause I don’t know that pain. Both my parents were still alive last time I saw them and I’ve never been that close with anyone. It’s not right for me to hear or talk about others like this.”

At this, Alice sighed and looked away. “Truth is, I’ve never felt that grief first hand either. Last I talked to them, mom and dad were alive and well, mostly cause my dad was VERY good at covering his tracks from the time he was Fox. But... I have seen it. Do you know why Fox steals, yet always returns what is stolen?”

Scep shrugged. “Dunno, I never return what I steal…..Okay, I do, but that’s after the Commander beats me upside the head for it.” He rolled his eyes.

Alice sweatdropped for a moment, before continuing. “Its a long story, but it started from the first Fox, 500 years ago. If I’m not mistaken it was in Orre...before it became the wasteland it is today. Even in those days life was hard, and people horded what little they had. My ancestor was a penniless orphan, and with how things were at the time, he had all but resigned himself that he was going to die. However, at the brink of it, a kind family aided him, a stranger and outsider. For the first time, he experienced true kindness,” she said, a distant look in her eyes. “However, once again, humanity’s ugly side reared its head. Another family, one who was high ranked, yet greedy and jealous of what they saw, hated how that family was happy despite being poor, so they decided to take the only thing they could think of. They took everything the family owned, and because they were highly ranked, they were able to...cover up their tracks. My ancestor, angered by that injustice, and wanting to repay their kindness, sought a way to help them. He tried talking to the people, yet they were afraid. He tried talking to the authorities, yet they turned him away. After a while, he came upon his answer. If the right way wasn’t going to give him his answer, then maybe the answer was in the wrong way. Taking a big gamble, he did the only thing he could think of, he stole what he could, initially intending to give it all to the family that helped him and tell them to run, but in the middle of that heist, he stumbled upon something else. Documents of the family’s dealings. That was when he realized another alternative. Taking the documents, he leaked them to the authorities, and shortly after, that family was exposed, and everything they had taken was returned.”

“That...sounds...awesome!” Scep smiled. “That guy was a bro if I ever heard of one. Man, I wished I could have chilled with him.”

“And that was just the beginning,” she chuckled. “Seeing what his actions had done, my ancestor for the first time felt like he had found his calling. At first he wasn’t a Phantom Thief. He was just a thief who would sneak in, steal what he needed to expose his target, then give it to the police anonymously, while leaving a trail right back to his targets,” she explained with a small smile.

However, he wasn’t quite good enough at hiding his tracks. A few years later, a group of bandits, hired by one of the people he had ‘ruined’, managed to trace him back to the family who had helped him in the beginning, and took them hostage, threatening to kill them if he did not show himself. Naturally, he had been ready and willing to give his life, but he knew that if they killed him, nothing would stop them from killing his dear friends anyway. Desperate, he prayed for an answer. What he got, was a glimpse of a creature whose image would forever be burned into his mind. A creature who could melt into the shadows, appear as anything it desired, a Zoroark.

Inspired by it, he began planning his very first heist as the Phantom Thief that would become a legend. A heist so crazy and complicated, that only a mad man would think of putting it into action, yet he had something that would aid him greatly,a bond of friendship with many of the Pokemon that lived in that area. Donning an outfit modeled after the creature that inspired him, and with the help of his Pokémon allies, he managed to save his dear friends, all the while creating a spectacle that the people at the time would remember for generations. It was in that heist that he announced himself as Phantom Thief Fox, right before he and his friends fled the town. After that, time passed, he fell in love, married, had a child, and inspired by the tales, his child followed in his footsteps. This happened again and again with each generation, and before long, Phantom Thief Fox became a legend, even if each of them was a different person. But in the end, we all followed his footsteps, his desire to right the wrong that couldn’t be corrected by the so-called ‘right’ ways. And I’m proud to be the latest in this legacy,” she finished.

“Whoa,” Scep said. “You’re the most epic family I’ve ever heard of….Got any sisters?”

At this, she couldn’t help but laugh. “Sorry, but no. I’m an only child. Of course, I do have a few cousins, but they weren’t all that interested in being Fox. Help Fox? If needs be, they’d do it. But actually be Fox, they didn’t quite feel up to it,” she said. “Who knows, as far as I know, all of them led pretty honest lives, so I don’t see why they wouldn’t have been brought here. We might just run into some of them,” Alice chuckled.


Back in Tall Tale, Jonathan sighed slightly as he speared another piece of litter and put it into the bag he had.

“Remind me again why we’re doing this,” Heat idly commented.

“Its just Jonathan being overly responsible again,” Echo jabbed as she carried a similar bag, to which Heat and Howl placed bits of litter that they had speared.

“Maybe. But remember, I DID nearly beat Green Lead to death,” Jonathan frowned as he looked down at his paws. Even now he sometimes jumped when he saw himself and didn’t see a human in the mirror. “Even if he was a criminal, a police officer’s duty is to arrest them and let the law decide their fate. What I did…” he shivered at the memory. He wasn’t deluded. He knew full well that if they and Fox hadn’t stopped him, Green Lead wouldn’t only be in a full body cast. He’d be in a coffin. Quickly shaking off the thought, he simply said, “Even if I’m an officer, I am no more above the law than anyone else. I’m just lucky that considering the circumstances, the penalty was greatly lightened.”

“True, but even Golden Star said you didn’t have to do this,” Howl pointed out.

“...how can you expect the people to follow the law, if the enforcers don’t follow them as well?” Jonathan simply shot back. “Besides, its a nice change of pace…”

“Well....I guess you got a point there,” Heat sighed. Having known Jonathan the longest, he understood what Jonathan was trying to say, and he couldn’t help but feel a little guilty. He remembered that he had promised Jonathan that he’d help him control his new powers...but so far all he ever did was just help him get a basic feel. Heck, as he was now, Jonathan was probably the worst Lucario ever with how he could barely use his Aura...or any non-physical moves for that matter. Sighing, he walked up to his partner and patted his shoulder. “Look, Jon...what happened...wasn’t fully your fault. You saw Green Lead about to kill Golden Star, and you reacted like anyone would if they saw someone trying to kill their friend. And its kinda my fault too for not helping you get better control.”

“And now Heat’s acting responsible? Is there something in the water here?” Echo playfully jabbed, earning an annoyed, yet amused look from the Combusken. “But he’s right though. You’ve probably been having a hard time getting used to being a Pokemon, and we really haven’t done much to help.”

“Yep. So its settled then. Once we’re done with the trash today, let’s all do a little training. Sides, how long has it been anyway since we did training that didn’t immediately involve police work?” Howl said.

“True,” Jonathan conceded. “Guess it would be fun to act like a normal trainer again...as normal as a human turned Pokemon can be at least,” he joked, as they all shared a small laugh and continued with the work.


A few hours later, Jonathan and his team were at the Guard Station, with Golden Star and Silver Star. “Was there something you wanted to talk to me about?” Jonathan asked.

“Well, we have good news and bad news. The bad news is that we were unable to find anything related to Fox on the wrecked carriages. The good news are that we received reports from a town nearby about a suspicious looking group roaming around in the woods. Nothing certain, and it may just be simple adventurers. We’re investigating further, meaning that you may get a lead soon enough, maybe in a day or two.” Silver Star explained.

“Sounds good. I’ll be done with my community service by then,” Jonathan nodded.

Golden Star chuckled, and patted the Lucario on the back. “I told you already, no one’s asking you to do that. You’re free to go whenever you want! You did a great job back there, and Green Lead is getting better.”

“Its fine. The fact is that criminal or not, I nearly acted like I was his judge, jury, and executioner. As an officer, I am no more above the law, and how can you expect others to follow the law if the enforcers don’t follow them,” he said simply.

"You're an honorable pony... er, Pokémon, Jonathan. This town is in debt to you." Golden Star chuckled softly, "Things have been out of control ever since Pokémon arrived her, the Aggron, the Mayor's betrayal, the current electoral season. Without your help, I would have gone nuts by now!"

“Oh, you’d have managed. You’re a good leader, Golden. You’d have come out on top,” Jonathan chuckled.

Golden Star let out a friendly laugh, and softly bumped the Lucario, "Don't praise this old machine, my friend! I know my limits, of course I would have tried my best, and maybe you're right, but you made things so much easier for us ponies."

“Maybe maybe,” Jonathan chuckled at his modesty. “Anyway, I think I’d better get back to work. My sentence is based on time, so maybe I can shave off some more before the day is over.”

"Then go, my friend. You don't want to miss dinner back at my place. Silver Star is making his town famous casserole."

“Oh we are there!” Heat and Howl grinned, while Jonathan just chuckled at their antics, though he himself was mentally agreeing to it. That casserole was GOOD.


Later that night, in the forest that were on the border of Fillydelphia, Sleight Hoof’s carriage was parked as all the inhabitants were sitting around a merry campfire they had going on, while a hot pot of soup bubbled slightly over it.

“Say what you want about this world, but the grub is way better than on Earth,” Rascal grinned as he polished off his third bowl.

“Hate to say it, but I agree with him,” Scep admitted as he downed another bowl.

“You two really aren’t dropping it, are you?” Shade chuckled.

Alice on the other hand didn’t say anything before putting her bowl (which had been polished up as well), and moved over to where their host was sitting.

“So, where are we headed next?” she asked.

“With our current route...our best choice is Fillydelphia,” Storm said. “Hey, isn’t that where White Ink lives?”

“Why yes, I do believe he’s currently living there,” Sleight nodded.

“And old friend of yours?” Alice asked. When they nodded, she chuckled. “Interesting. Let’s see what show Fillydelphia can yield for us next,” she grinned.



Ending theme:

Author's Note:

Next chapter done. Another breather chapter between towns.

Special thanks to ThatOneVolcarona and Evowizard for helping me to fine tune this chapter.

Enjoy