• Published 9th Nov 2014
  • 3,938 Views, 71 Comments

Our New Life - Arcane Archer



(Edited and Improved) When Adagio leaves Aria and Sonata living alone on the streets they don't know what to do, but Sunset Shimmer and the Rainbooms show them that everyone deserves a second chance.

  • ...
11
 71
 3,938

What now?

Until moments ago the Sirens had the entire school under their control, even when the Rainbooms had shown up, the battle was in their favour. It wasn't until Sunset Shimmer had picked up the microphone and started singing, that the siren's song had suddenly become much harder for the three sisters to sing. The Rainbooms took the opportunity to get back on their feet and begin singing with a vengeance, their voices formed a giant alicorn that sent a laser towards the opposition. The three sirens, Adagio, Aria and Sonata looked up just as the huge rainbow engulfed them with the magic of friendship. It burnt their throats like acid, but it caused no visible damage. Singing had suddenly become harder for the three and their ears began to ring. Their hearts and throats felt like they were on fire, hot enough to melt, but determination pushed them on. They used a burst of their remaining magic to attempt to repel the rainbow, causing their eyes to regain the red colour they became during a powerful song. It lasted only a moment before their eyes reverted back and they could feel the powers they onced possessed dissolving in the positive energy, becoming just a dying blaze before their ruby hearts cracked and shattered, forever broken.

The Dazzlings fell to the stage, due to the height from which they fell it was painful, but the pain of their broken hearts was stronger. The three looked at the shards of their ruby pendants and tried to piece them back together, only to become more distressed when the dull fragments just fell apart again. Seeing that their efforts were in vain, they stood up and tried to sing. What would normally have been the voices worthy of angels, was replaced by the awful screeching of banshees, their throats burnt and food from the crowd was thrown at them. The powerless sirens fled the stage with tears pouring from their eyes, only Adagio was still clutching the broken jewel once worn around her neck.

Aria, Sonata and Adagio ran and ran, not once looking back at the disaster they had caused yet suffered from. A hotel came into view causing the three to run faster in the building's direction. With a song the Dazzlings were once able to get whatever they wanted with nothing in return, the hotel room was one of those things, along with everything else they needed. They made for the entrance of the hotel as fast as they could, only to be stopped by two bouncers positioned outside to guard the door. The biggest one lifted his muscular arm and pointed at the three girls.

"You!" he yelled, "You have ten minutes to pack your stuff and get the hell out of this hotel or we will remove you and your belongings by force."

The three looked up and saw the bouncers glaring daggers, urging them to collect their things quickly. No clever comeback. No resistance. No singing. The realization that they were powerless hadn't quite hit the sirens yet, but their commonsense told them that without magic they stood no chance in a fight against two burly guards. The Dazzlings just did as they were told, scared and lost without their powers. Aria, packed her music, clothes and books first, and then went to get her phone and games. Adagio, Got her magazines, clothes and phone, before pulling out a large book from under her bed. Sonata had a book the same as Adagio's, it was full of over two thousand years of memories, things they had all done together, old drawings and photographs; it caused Sonata to give a small smile when she looked at it. The three quickly packed their possessions and left the hotel before the bouncers could come knocking. Tears fell from their eyes as they left the warmth of the hotel and stepped out into the cold night air.

The wind was harsh and frosty, biting at the Dazzlings exposed fingers and faces. Thunder could be heared and lighting flashed from the sky as rain started to pour down, soaking the three sirens. The water normally felt good to them, it reminded them of their home in seas of Aquestria, but that night it only reminded them of everything they had lost, chilling them even more.

None of them really spoke on as they wandered aimlessly through Canterlot, it wasn't until Adagio suggested staying at an old, boarded up cottage they had seen on the way to school one day that sound could be heard from the trio. They continued to walk at a slow, steady pace, each Dazzling feeling sorry for themselves and each other. Not another word was spoken until they entered the rundown building. It wasn't hard getting in as the door was already hanging off its hinges. Aria, took her phone out and used a torch app to shine light inside the dreary, old cottage. The old owner had left nothing except a creaky bed, a moth-eaten fabric sofa and a rotting, empty cabinet. Aria sat on the bed and focused her gaze to Adagio.

"This is all your fault! If you'd have just listened to me in the first place none of this would have happened!" she yelled, no longer crying but the sorrow in her words was evident.

Sonata had started to cry against the ragged sofa, while Adagio eerily stood silently. Aria looked over to where Sonata was sat, the pityful scene caused tears to form in her own eyes, as a siren she grew up learning that showing emotions was showing weakness, but she didn't care anymore.

"I-I'm sorry, Adagio! This is just a shock to me, I-I don't know what we'll do! That's why you're the leader, you've always had a-all the answers, not me. Tell me what to do, Adagio! I d-don't know what to do anymore!" Aria screamed, tears began to stream from her eyes.

Adagio had remained on the same spot with the same spaced-out look on her face.

"Fine then! D-don't help me! I'm going to sleep!" Aria sobbed, her face turned away to try and hide the tears.

She took out her purple, starry pajamas from her bag and changed into them before lying down on the sheet-less bed. The wind blew through a shattered window causing her to shiver. Sonata got off the sofa with tears still rolling down her face, she pulled out her own pajamas and began to put them on before also lying down next to Aria on the old bed to sleep, leaving Adagio alone with her thoughts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Aria, woke up to the sound of more crying. Turning around she saw Sonata sobbing without pause into the tattered mattress, upon further inspection she was still asleep. Aria gently shuck Sonata to wake her from her nightmare, even if it meant she'd wake up to another one. Sonata's eyes shot open and she jumped up to hug Aria.

"It was awful!" she sobbed into her sister's shoulder, "You and Adagio left me and I was all alone in this house, starving to death all by myself."

Aria hugged her back reassuringly, something she normally wouldn't do for the sake of her reputation, "I'd never leave you to starve all alone in these ruins, even if you are the worst."

Aria's small smile at the last part showed her sister that she was only joking.

"For realzies?" asked Sonata.

"Yeah Sonata, for realzies," replied Aria before getting off the bed.

She stood up and looked around the room, it all looked different in the sunlight. The pattern on the molting, floral carpet and faded wallpaper was visible, the design of it along with the cabinet made Aria suspect it was once the home of an elderly person. The sofa was also floral print. She was about to leave to look around the rest of the house when she saw a note attached to the rotten cabinet.

That wasn't there last night she thought to herself. Huh, it's from Adagio. Where is she anyway? "Adagio!" Aria called out, "...No answer, whatever. I guess I'll just have to read the note then."

Sonata got up when she could hear her shouting Adagio's name from across the room, so she wandered over to her sister see what was happening.

"What's going on, Aria? Where's Adagio?" she yawned.

Aria turned around, note in hand before replying, "I don't know. She left a note, I'll read it out loud for you."

Sonata nodded, walking over to hear what the letter said.

"Dearest sisters, I am sorry I let this happen to you and I hope that one day you can forgive me. It was me who lead you down the path of evil for my own selfish desires. I'm sorry Sonata, I took advantage of your naivety and innocence, making you sing to hurt people. Aria, I am sorry I never listened to any of your ideas, you can be a bit moody and stubborn but you were never evil." Aria stopped to wipe away a tear before Sonata could see. "I've ruined your lives enough, I think it's time I go my separate way, let you live your own lives. I still haven't changed after two thousand years, but I believe with this chance the two of you can. Good-bye, I will miss you both greatly but I believe it's for the best. You never know, maybe we will meet each other again one day in a more happy time. Your's sincerely -Adagio Dazzle" Aria had reached the end of the letter and turned the note over, only to find it unsurprisingly blank.

The two cried again for a couple of minutes before Sonata spoke, "This is what happened in my nightmare! Now you'll leave me all alone too!" she sobbed.

Aria gave Sonata a serious face, wiping away the last of her tears.

"Don't even say that! Do you really think I'd do that to you? I'm sick of crying, I'm going back to the stage to get back the shards of heart I left there, are you coming or not?" asked Aria, her voice sounded scratchy and her throat felt raw, but she just blamed it on the recent crying.

Sonata slowly nodded and the two got dressed before leaving the house. Aria always tried to act tough to hide her soft side, many people thought she was just being mean to Sonata when she called her the worst, but really they were just joking with each other, Aria was just more skilled at insults and comebacks. Crying made Aria feel pathetic, she needed her harsh side to come back. She blamed herself and what she'd said last night for Adagio's departure, but would never admit it to anyone, she needed to stay strong for Sonata's sake.

Aria and Sonata began to walk around the back of the school to the stage, food had been left all over the grounds and the two sirens had to be careful not to step in anything.

"Oooooo, tacos!" Sonata smiled gleefully.

Aria faceplamed. "Don't eat that, just...don't."

Aria dragged sonata away from the spoiled food and closer to the stage where two short boys were sweeping up rotten fruit and hot dogs. They had learnt their names during the battle of the bands, they were the ones who performed the awful rap Sonata somehow enjoyed, Snips and Snails.

"Well look who decided to show their faces," one said, "If your here for your necklace jewels then you'll never get them back, the Rainbooms took them and there's no way they'll hand 'em over!".

Aria glared at the two angrily, she may have lost her powers, but she had taken many martial arts and boxing lessons over the centuries.

"Ooooh what you gonna do to us now, siren?" they taunted.

Aria jumped what looked like a near impossible height on to the stage, and grabbed the boy round his skinny neck, the other one fled.

"What is going on here?" yelled a demanding voice that made Aria quickly drop the terrified boy, who ran after his friend.

Turning round to face the direction of the voice, Aria saw Principal Celestia with a very stern look on her face.

Sonata also turned to look at the Principal before answering in her cheery manner of speaking, "We came back for our hearts."

Aria facepalmed, shaking her head and Celestia gave a look of confusion, "Your...hearts? I'm afraid I don't quite understand."

Aria jumped of the stage and put her hand over Sonata's mouth, preventing her saying anything else, before talking to the Principal, "She means the pendants that the Rainblossoms-or whatever they're called stole from us."

The Principal gave her another stern look, "Things like what you did are not easily forgiven, but it would be unfair of me not to give you a second chance. If you clean up all the mess you've made here, you can continue to come to this school and ask for your gems back in person, but I will have to find someone to keep an eye on you within the school grounds."

Aria glared, she hated school and she hated work, but Sonata answered before she could turn down Celestia's offer.

"For realzies, because that would be so cool! And then I can have taco tuesday! Of course we'll stay!"

"Great, you can get to work on that cleaning." Celestia handed a broom to each siren and returned to her office.

"Sonata?"
"Yes, Aria?"
"You're the worst."