• Published 21st Dec 2014
  • 7,128 Views, 126 Comments

Rainbow Reflections - Bookish Delight



Can Twilight Sparkle realize the true nature of her friendship with Rainbow Dash? The answer lies beyond a magic mirror...

  • ...
34
 126
 7,128

6: Life Lessons

Following the map on Rainbow's phone — which Twilight was told contained something called a "global positioning system" — it didn't take long for the two to reach Rainbow's destination.

Once they did, they descended from cloud cover. Sure enough, the area was deserted, and not nearly as well-kept as the city at large. Few people walked the littered streets, none of whom noticed the two girls. They flew over gates surrounding a large lot, then touched down in an open lot.

Rainbow looked around. Aside from the gates and a large warehouse, emptiness and decay greeted her everywhere.

"Oh, no," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "It really did close down. The news said they were going to make a bigger one, but this..."

Quick as a shot, Rainbow flew inside the warehouse. Twilight followed as fast as she could. Once inside, she concentrated, and her crown glowed, bathing the surroundings in violet light so both girls could get their bearings.

It also let the two see the room for what it truly was.

Rusted planes. Broken models. Some built to scale, some lifesize. Ripped pieces of posters and paraphernalia littered the walls amidst layers of dust and cobwebs. Only now did Twilight notice the building's dust and musty smell, and she cast a spell on herself and her friend to ward off any ill environmental effects.

Twilight looked around for Rainbow and found her standing, stock still, in front of a wall. She flew over and joined her. "Rainbow?" she ventured.

Rainbow sniffled.

"I don't care if they're building another one. This one was mine."

Twilight followed Rainbow’s gaze.

A room-sized relief of Rainbow Dash's cutie mark adorned the wall in front of them, cracked and broken.

---

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic x Equestria Girls:

"Rainbow Reflections"

Chapter 6: Life Lessons

by Bookish Delight, 2014-2015

All characters and referred properties belong to Hasbro.

---

"Oh my gosh," Twilight whispered upon seeing the dilapidated symbol.

"Yeah," Rainbow said, with a long sigh. "That's one way to put it."

Twilight put a comforting arm around Rainbow Dash's shoulder. "Rainbow, what... what is this place?"

She looked at Rainbow again. Once more the blue girl was wearing a wistful expression. Not only was she staring into space, but it looked almost as if she was staring through the wall in front of her.

"Y'know, your Rainbow's really lucky," Rainbow said, her voice soft. "She's got all her dreams laid out already. Heck, some of 'em were built into her. And on top of all of that, she's got you."

"Rainbow, please," said Twilight. "Don't put yourself down like that-"

Rainbow shook her head, cutting Twilight off.

"Nah, it's not like that. It's just that now that I have these wings, I finally get it. If I knew how to fly like I have been tonight, from that early, I'd still be going at super-speed. I'd never slow down, for anyone or anything. Sound familiar?"

Twilight gulped.

Rainbow turned to Twilight. "I hope I can meet your Rainbow someday. Betting she's got a lot to teach me. But I had my own awesome flight experience when I was young, too."

Twilight stayed silent, letting Rainbow gather her words.

"When I was little, my parents and I took a trip to Cloudsdale. It's a mountain city, so it takes a while to get here by any way but flying. It's not really a thing someone living in Canterlot can do all that often. I figured I'd love Cloudsdale, and I totally did... but I didn't know how much I'd love its Aviation Museum." Rainbow chuckled. "'Cause my folks kept that a surprise."

Twilight looked around, recalling the picture on Rainbow's nightstand. "And this was it?"

"Heh, yep." Rainbow nodded. "I climbed over all the planes, and went in all the sims, and learned about how all this stuff was made, and how flying worked, and about the Wonderbolts and their school, and even met one of 'em, and it was all kinds of sweet!"

Rainbow looked lost in her smile for a few precious moments before it faded.

"We took a bunch of pictures. Almost all of them are in the family album, but they let me keep and frame the one in my room. A picture of the happiest day of my life. The day when I knew what I wanted to do, who I wanted to be, more than anything."

She looked at Twilight, the forlorn expression having returned.

"I don't get days like that anymore."

Twilight shook her head. "Rainbow, that can't be true."

"It is!" Rainbow threw up her hands. "Those companies that I told you kept getting bought up? My parents worked for one of them. Now they work for NorthTech, and those guys’ve been running 'em ragged on business trips left and right! So even when they're home, they're too tired for us to do anything as a family. They can't make my soccer games, we haven't taken any trips... heck, we're lucky if we get a night of TV to ourselves!"

She took a deep breath.

"It's been like that for over a year now. Which was also when all the arguments happened with Applejack and the others, and we all split up. I joined a whole bunch of clubs. Tried to surround myself, tried to replace 'em. But it didn't help! And I... I didn't know what to do. I didn't know why the people I wanted to be around... why they didn't..."

Rainbow trailed off, and for several moments, Twilight could feel the desolate silence of the warehouse closing in on them.

Rainbow looked into Twilight's eyes, and Twilight could see Rainbow’s were watering more by the second. She took a deep breath, her next words escaping with a quiver.

"Twi? I... I-I'm awesome... right?"

Without hesitation, Twilight placed her hand on Rainbow's cheek. The tears were running freely now.

"Always and forever, Rainbow," Twilight whispered.

Rainbow gripped Twilight's raised arm. Twilight could feel Rainbow's whole body shake as her next words uttered in a weak whimper:

"Then... why does nobody want to be around me?"

Those were the last words to escape Rainbow's lips before she fell into Twilight's embrace, and silent sobs took over. Twilight lowered them both to the floor, cradling Rainbow, who poured out her sadness to an empty warehouse and a single friend.

---

Several minutes later, courtesy of one last transport spell from Twilight, she and Rainbow reappeared amidst the clouds hovering over Canterlot High School.

"Will you be okay?" Twilight asked, with a worried look.

"Yeah, it's out of my system." Rainbow looked away sheepishly and took a deep breath. "I'd, uh, ask you not to tell any of the other girls..."

Twilight placed a gentle finger on Rainbow's lips.

"...but we both know that won't be a problem," Twilight finished. "It's alright, Rainbow. Things will get better. I promise."

"They already have. You brought my friends back, remember? I'll..." Rainbow gave one last sniffle in spite of herself. "I'll take care of the rest. Now that you're about to go back, though, do me a favor?"

"What is it?"

"When you get back to your pony world? Pay attention to your Dash. Decide for yourself if I've been right about everything or not. The rest is totally up to you."

"I can do that." Twilight gave a pause for thought, then asked, "Can I consult the cheat sheet one last time?"

"Mmmmm..." Rainbow smiled. "Alright. One last time."

"If I pay attention, and then I do decide you've been right — about everything — what then?"

"Oh, is that all? That's easy."

Rainbow grasped Twilight's hands.

"Tell her how you feel. She's not gonna laugh at you, that kind of stuff's even tougher for her 'cause you're someone she respects. But she'll be glad you went for the direct approach, 'cause it's always faster, and it instantly lets her know that it's okay — that it's safe — to open up to you, too.

"Pretty sure she's dying to tell you everything I just did, and more. So give her the chance. And if you like what she's got to say?" Rainbow gave a sly smile. "Well... now you know what kissing her is like. You won't have to be afraid to try."

Rainbow looked up to meet Twilight's eyes. Twilight cupped Rainbow's cheek with her hand, watching her friend's usual confidence melt into blushing shyness.

"It's true," Twilight said, radiating her own confidence. "I'm not."

Twilight brought her face forward. Rainbow quickly understood, and accepted, the kiss. She wrapped her arms around Twilight, both girls enjoying the warmth of their bodies and affections as their lips slid against one another.

Several moments passed, and when the two finally parted, Rainbow lapped her tongue across Twilight's lips, quickly, but firmly, making sure the gesture couldn't be missed.

"Aaaaand class dismissed," Rainbow said, her smile having returned. She raised her eyebrows in realization. "Hey, you never did kiss Flash tonight, did you?"

Twilight winked. "He never convinced me it was worth the risk."

Both girls giggled, then turned when they heard Twilight's name being called. Looking down, they saw Spike, Rarity, Fluttershy, Applejack and Pinkie Pie, all waving up to them.

"Guess this is it, then." Twilight exhaled. "It's time I left."

"Looks like. Hang on a sec, though." She flew down and into the school, then returned a few seconds later.

"This is for her," Rainbow said, presenting Twilight with an envelope, and then a much smaller, metallic item. "Aaaaand this is for you."

Twilight looked at the items. The envelope was nondescript save for its sky blue color. A letter, Twilight surmised. She looked at the second item — a barrette in the shape of Rainbow's cutie mark.

"I had some time to write during the dance and all, so... yeah, there you go. And the barrette's from the Aviation Museum." Rainbow said. "I want you to have it."

"I'm flattered," Twilight said, "but wouldn't this be an important keepsake for you?"

"'Course it is," Rainbow said, "but I've always had two of 'em." She gazed into Twilight's eyes. "Now we'll have more connecting us than just memories."

Rainbow hovered closer, wrapping her arms around Twilight's shoulders.

"I learned a long time ago to value every moment you can with the people close to you. You gotta tell those people you love 'em, and want 'em to stay in your life, while they're actually around. 'Cause if you take them for granted, then..."

Rainbow gave an embarrassed shrug.

"...well, you might get me. So if I can help someone who's just like me learn that lesson the easy way, to say nothing of her best friend in the world, then it's all been worth it."

Rainbow pulled Twilight close, shifting into a tight hug.

"Stay awesome, Twi. Always and forever."

"Same to you, Rainbow," Twilight said, hugging back and resting her head on Rainbow's shoulder. "I'm going to miss you so much."

"I'll miss you too," Rainbow replied. "But I'll never forget you. Don't worry, though."

The two slowly descended to the Canterlot High statue, the base of which could already be seen shining with portal magic.

"All that happens from here is that I'll see you on the other side."