• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 2,631 Views, 68 Comments

Forsaken - Beware The Carpenter



Twilight takes the train to Alkzum Mental Asylum to visit her younger brother.

  • ...
6
 68
 2,631

13 - The Dark Side of the Moon

Clinging to the quiet lunar air over and around them, was the sound of a foal, weeping as only a child could; a child who had given into complete and utter despair. True to nature, Shining Armor’s first thought was to huddle protectively next to his sister who, true to nature, abandoned herself to curiosity. “Is that Enigma?”

Luna winced as the crying suddenly stopped. It heard her. From inside a nearby crater, Luna heard the sound of someone shuffling to their hooves and a voice, suspended half-way between male and female, “Luna? I-is that that you?”

“Run.”

“Luna where have you been!?” Luna didn’t wait for the unicorns to respond, the seconds it would have taken them to overcome curiosity may have proven too great, she turned them in her magic and hurled them away from the sound; both of them catching themselves as she joined them in a headlong flight. Twilight tried to cast a curious glance behind her as she ran, but Luna spread her wing, blocking her vision and forcingher head to look straight ahead; meanwhile the voice gained speed behind them.“Luna come back! I’m sorry!”

Keeping her wings spread to block both Twilight and Shining Armor’s vision would have slowed her down too much, so Luna struck the dust behind them with a cyclone, enveloping their pursuer from view yet doing nothing to impede it’s pursuit as it came after them on short, desperate legs. “Luna come back! You promised!”

Enigma's phantoms were nowhere to be seen. “Shining Armor,” She breathed, “The apparition of Vinyl Scratch, call her back.”

“How?”

“Do it!”

Shining Armor's horn glowed momentarily and Vinyl Scratch appeared, twenty paces ahead of them; looking very pleased with herself for being there until Luna shot a bolt that burned a hole into her right leg, causing her to fall to the ground screaming, unable to run.

“LUNA YOU PROMISED!”

When the unicorns slowed down when they neared the writhing figure of what might be a part of their brother's mind, Luna shot small bolts of lightning at both their fetlocks to kill any ideas they had about stopping. She then redoubled the storm behind them into a impenetrable blizzard of dust and listened, but the pursuit had ended where Vinyl Scratch had fallen.

One hot tear of shame dripped down her face, as she silently vowed, ‘I will sing to you later, Nightmare Child.’

Author's Note:

Wow, short chapter.

Normally I would attach this to the chapter before or after it, I expected this one to be bigger, and I just figure I'll let this sit for a little while before giving explanations.