• Published 4th Nov 2014
  • 2,476 Views, 46 Comments

The Mare Who Fell to Earth - HudsonHawk



An ordinary man meets an extraordinary woman. A woman who both claims to be a unicorn from the land of Equestria, and who possesses a medallion that may attract a great evil to our world.

  • ...
8
 46
 2,476

Chapter Two: Sunday, April 27

“Give it to me.”

“I can't-”

“...just give it to him...”

“NOOOO!!!!!”

“Please, God. No...”

“I love you...”

“Don't go...”

I awoke with a start, drenched in cold sweat. The nightmares had come back with a vengeance. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I saw a familiar, purple-haired woman in my room. The memories of last night came flooding back.

“Rarity...” I said, with all the grace one can muster having been awake for fifteen seconds, “...what are you doing?”

“I got up to use the bathroom... and I heard you talk in your sleep.” She replied. “Who didn't you want to go?”

“Nobody. Just a crazy dream.” I lied.

“Are you sure, darling?” She seemed less than convinced.

“Yes. I'm very sure.” I reached over to my dresser and grabbed my cell phone to check the time.. It was 10:30 A.M.

“How'd you sleep?” I asked, trying to divert attention from the nightmare.

“I had a strange dream, too.” She replied, sitting on the bed. “I was falling in some sort of swirling tunnel, and I was holding that medallion you found me with. There was a voice... no, two voices... one saying that I can't escape, and one saying that they'll find me... I knew that other voice... It was Twilight!”

“Twilight?”

“My friend... one of my friends. I told you about her yesterday, the one who has immense skill in magic? The other voice was hers!”

“What did the other guy sound like?”

“Very dark. Gravelly. Had a bit of a Trottingham accent.”

“Trottingham?”

“It's in northern Equestria. I once had to make twenty gowns for an order from there in one night. It was the longest night of my life.”

“I'd believe it.”

“Back to the topic at hand, I know she's trying to find me... I know they all are. And I know they will.”

“How do you know?”

“Friendship, as life has taught me, is the greatest magic of all. True friendship makes you climb the tallest tower or brave the scariest place to help someone in need. It's capable of making people sacrifice their lives to save others. It's capable of causing people to lie and say the sweater a friend made them was beautiful, and wear it when you know, deep down, that it's just absolutely hideous, just to keep their spirits up. Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, Spike... we're all ready to do those things for each other and more. We're all well-versed in the magic of friendship, and part of that magic is not giving up on a friend when they need your help. They'll find me. I know, deep in my heart, they will.”

I nodded. It sounded too heartfelt to be empty hope. If she had total faith that someway, somehow, her friends would find her, then I did, too.

“Well...” I started, “Since you may be here awhile, I'll be happy to take you around town and show you the sights.”

“I would love that.” She then saw Zar 'Roc. “Oh, my! That's a beautiful sword!”

“Thanks.” I said. “My best friend Matt got that for me for my birthday.”

"I love that sapphire in it! And the blade! It's just gorgeous!”

“It's an imitation sapphire. It's a replica of a sword from a movie.”

“Imitation? No matter, it's still pretty.”

“Never took you for a sword kind of woman.”

“I can appreciate the beauty in everything. Besides, just because I act like a lady doesn't mean I can't kick someone's flank if the need arises.”

Rarity got up and I swung my legs out of the covers and off of the bed. Rarity gasped when she saw my Zubaz.

“Don't worry. They're just pajama pants. I don't wear them in public.” I said.

“Thank Celestia for that! Those are a crime against fashion!” She replied.

I declined to reply. “I'll get that box of clothes out of the attic for you.”

“As long as they don't look like... those...” She said, pointing at my Zubaz, “...I'll be fine.”


Rarity headed to the bathroom while I headed upstairs to the attic. I opened the door and was greeted by the musty, dusty smell one comes to expect from a room used primarily for storage. I pulled the light chain and the room was awash in the 75-watt glow of the bulb hanging from the wall. Said wall had two shelves full of board games, next to which were several boxes. More boxes lined the rest of the walls, all neatly labeled. Located atop boxes labeled “SEWING MATERIAL,” “8-TRACK TAPES,” and “X-MAS DECORATIONS” was one labeled “CLOTHES FOR GOODWILL.” I dragged it downstairs and to the living room just as Rarity exited the bathroom.

“Help yourself.” I said, opening the box. Rarity looked through it. “Too formal. Too retro. No. No. No... Absolutely not...”

By the time she finished, she had settled on a maroon jacket, a black button-up blouse, blue jeans, and a pair of tennis shoes. I loaned her a pair of my socks and a belt for the jeans, and she headed to the bathroom to change.

“You know...” I said. “I said my family won't be back until Saturday night. You can change in my parents' room if you want. I mean, it's got more room and you'll have spaces to set stuff down on. You can also sleep in there until they get back, too.”

Rarity walked back out. “Thank you very much, darling!”

“No problem. You're my guest, it just wouldn't be hospitable if I didn't offer. Besides, their bed's huge and a lot more comfortable than the sofa. Their room's the second door on the left in the kitchen.”

Rarity happily walked off to change.


It was 11 AM before we left the house. I had changed into a blue Hawaiian shirt with white palm trees all over it, jeans with belt, and black hi-top sneakers, over which I wore my dark green trenchcoat. I grabbed my keys and stuffed them into my pocket just as Rarity walked into the room. She initially grimaced when she saw my shirt, but said she'd get used to it, as her father owned several just like it.

She then asked “What do you think?”

“It's you.” I replied. She noticed the ring I was wearing, a silver band with a green jewel set in it.

"Your ring is very lovely." She said.

"Yeah." I replied. "It's quite special to me."

We headed out of the house and into a beautiful Spring day; A little chilly, but not freezing cold. I unlocked the Malibu and opened the passenger side for Rarity. In minutes, we were on the road. Our first stop was Phil's Diner, a quiet little joint on Canal Street, just a block-and-a-half from work. I usually stop in twice a week for lunch.

“You're going to love this place.” I said. “They do a wicked chicken sandwich.”

“You... eat... chickens?” Rarity asked.

“Yeah. Chickens, cows, and other animals.” Then it dawned on me that, as a pony, she may be just a little averse to eating animals.

“Do you eat... ponies?”

“No...” I decided not to tell her what glue used to be made from. “Humans are omnivores: we eat both meat and veggies.”

“It's barbaric.”

“Then get a salad.”

We entered Phil's. There was an old-fashioned lunch counter across from the entrance, behind it was a door that led to the kitchen. There were three booths apiece to the left and right of the entrance, all but one were in use. A jukebox sat at the far end of the room, blaring Olivia Newton-John's "Magic," next to the door that led to the bathrooms. Phil Ioannides, the owner and namesake, was a jolly fat man in his fifties. He had emigrated to the United States thirty years ago and settled in Carney, setting up Phil's around the time I was born. He knew everybody in town, and made it a point to personally greet everyone.

"Ahh! Jimmy Quinn, how are you doing today?" Phil asked, with an infectious joy in his voice.

"Just fine today, Phil." I replied. "How are you?"

"I cannot complain. The sun is shining, I'm alive, my restaurant is still here. Life is good." He then noticed Rarity. "Aren't you going to introduce me to your lovely friend here?"

"Rarity, this is Phil." I said. "In addition to a good chicken sandwich, he makes some damn good cherry pie."

"You spoil me with your compliments." Phil said. "I can see why your parents named you so, miss Rarity. Someone as beautiful as you is truly a rarity, indeed." He then kissed her hand.

Rarity blushed. "Thank you, sir."

"I'll have Susan come out and get you set up." Phil said.

"Thanks." I replied.

Rarity and I took the empty booth, and Susan, the regular waitress here, walked up with menus. Susan was in her mid-fifties, and had been here ever since I was born.

“Hello, Jimmy.” She said.

“Hi, Susie!” I replied. “Nice to see you.”

“Odd seeing you here when you're not working.”

“Well, Audrey's friend came in from out of town, and I promised I'd take her around and show her the sights.”

“Oh. What's your name, sweetie?” She said, looking at Rarity.

“Rarity.” She replied.

“That's a lovely name. Well, welcome to Carney, and I'm sure that Jimmy here will show you all that needs to be seen.”

“I'm sure he will.”

Susan left our menus on the table, and Rarity and I began perusing them. The meal went smoothly: Rarity got a salad and a soda, I got a chicken sandwich and soda. We had just about finished when...

“Lookie what we have here!” A very familiar and very obnoxious voice bellowed. I turned around to see Jason Burdick, the sole guy in high school who fit the stereotypical jock image. Contrary to what TV and movies tell you, high school football players and cheerleaders are actually fairly nice and compassionate, although it's usually not seen in small towns like Carney. Unfortunately, Jason never got the memo on that, and lorded his status as a football hero over everyone he got the chance to, much to the annoyance of his teammates. Worse, his being the son of the principal gave him a license to get away with murder, as Mr. Burdick could never believe that his “red-blooded, football hero, man's man” of a son could have run the underwear of a member of the AV Club up the flagpole... while the student in question was still wearing them. The jerk had since become a policeman, and my dad shared my opinion: he was a jerk that no one would give two craps about if it weren't for his athletic achievements, once again, like most small towns. I wasn't shocked to learn that the eight years since high school graduation had done nothing to mature him, mentally at least.

“Hello, Jason.” I replied, in the driest, flattest tone imaginable.

“Ahh, if it isn't my dearest friend, Jimmy.” He replied.

“And if isn't Commodore Jerkass. Nice to know that some things don't change.” I waited for a reply, but he spied Rarity.

“Well, well!” He said, excited, “How did someone as fat and as nerdy as you land a babe like this?” I looked at Rarity and saw her giving a “drop dead” look to Jason, who wasn't getting the hint.

“She's a friend.” I replied.

“What, did you ply her with booze?” He asked. “It's only way I could see someone so beautiful hanging with someone like you.” Rarity, by now, was giving him an even sterner glare, one normally reserved for setting someone on fire with their mind. “What's your name, sexy?”

“It's Rarity.” She said, trying to put up a pleasant facade, but some twinges of a “screw off and die” tone remained.

“Rarity?” He said, incredulous. “What, parents former hippies or something?”

“It's a perfectly fine name, I'll have you know.”

“What's in a name?” He said. “How about you ditch this loser and leave with a real man?”

“When I see one, I'll flag him down.” I was mentally high-fiving her for that.

“Oh, he's right in front of you. I bet you don't know that I was quite a football player back in the day.”

“How charming.” Rarity said, in a voice tinged with sarcasm.

“You're not impressed?”

“So you threw a ball around? Lah-dee-dah.”

“I don't think you understand. I'm kind of a big deal around here.”

“I only see a very little man living vicariously through his past. If you're expecting me to be impressed by that, you're sorely mistaken.”

Jason looked at her, dumbfounded. “Stuck-up bitch.”

"Excuse me?" I asked. He could insult me all he wanted. Insulting a sweetheart like my new friend... that was another matter entirely. I got to my feet, only to be roughly shoved back into my seat.

“Shut up, lardass.” Jason said angrily. “This doesn't concern you.”

“When you insult her, that's when it concerns me.”

“I said shut up. Don't make me ask twice.”

“Or what?”

“I'm gonna beat you like a little red-headed stepchild.”

“Big words from a little man.”

This set him off. He took a swing at me and I prepared to block the blow, but Rarity was faster. Before he knew it, Rarity was on her feet. She caught his fist in one hand, and then socked him in the jaw hard with the other, in a perfect right hook. He flew a couple of feet and landed on the lunch counter. Everyone had stopped what they were doing and had been watching the situation unfold. When Rarity slugged Jason, people applauded.

“You bitch.” A dazed Jason started. “I'm a cop, and you're in BIG trouble.”

“What are you going to do, Jason?” I asked. “Arrest her for defending herself and a friend against a jerk with a badge who thought he was entitled to her, AND who tried to take a swing at an unarmed civilian?”

“Besides, there's a whole restaurant full of people who saw what happened.” Rarity added. “I don't think they're going to side with you anytime soon.”

Jason tried to say something clever, but due to either shock, the pain of landing on the counter, or both, he couldn't. He left, but not before saying “Quinn, one of these days, I'm gonna find a reason to bust your ass. Maybe then, when I'm through with you and your friend, you'll treat me with the respect I deserve.”

“Which is absolutely none.” Rarity added, as a parting shot. "See, we were treating you with the respect you deserve already!"

Phil was so impressed he comped our meal, just for the impressive display of “the girl with the megaton punch.”


Back in the car, I told Rarity of how impressed I was.

"It was nothing." She replied. "I just do not suffer fools gladly. I knew someone like him back in Canterlot; Prince Blueblood was his name."

"Bigger jerk, lesser jerk, or about the same?" I asked.

"A different kind of jerk: spoiled, vain, very elitist. He used me as a shield against a flying cake. Long story."

"What happened?"

"It was the straw that broke the camel's back on a night of jerk behavior. I called him out on it, he wanted me to stay away because he'd just been groomed, and I shook chunks of cake onto him asking him if he was afraid to get a little messy."

"Judging by what happened to Jason, he got off lightly. Doesn't make it any less awesome."

"Thank you, darling." She was blushing. "Do you have a napkin or a handkerchief in here? I'm sweating from what happened inside."

"Try the glove box."

Rarity opened it up and grabbed a napkin. A photo fell out, and she picked it up. "Who's this?"

I looked over. Crap. She had found a picture of Jennifer and I together.

"She's Jennifer. She was my girlfriend."

"Ooh... a special somepon-" She caught herself. "Someone?"

"It ended two years ago. I really don't want to talk about it."

"What happened?"

"I said I don't want to talk about it."

"I've learned that keeping things bottled up-"

"I. DON'T. WANT. TO. TALK. ABOUT. IT. Which part of that sentence did you not understand?" I snapped at Rarity.

Rarity looked over at me, a little surprised and a little hurt. "There was no need to be insulting."

I realized how harsh I had been. "I'm sorry. It's just a sore spot for me and I really don't want to talk about it. I shouldn't have snapped at you."

Rarity thought for a moment. "I accept your apology. If you don't want to talk about it, then I should respect that. I'm sorry, too."

"It's okay." I started the car. "Let's see what else Carney has to offer, huh?"

Rarity smiled. "I'm looking forward to it."


We went to the park next, one of my favorite places to go when I'm in need of either a good think or just some time away from home. The park consisted of a few picnic tables with benches scattered around the area, a playground with a giant play area in the center, consisting of a small climbing wall, some monkey bars, a couple of slides, and a fireman's pole to slide down, and finally, my favorite, the swing set. Rarity beamed when she saw the swings.

"I haven't been on a swing since I was a filly!" She said.

"I've found it's one of those things you never outgrow." I replied. "When you get really high up, it almost feels like you're flying."

"I'll be the judge of that." Rarity took a seat on one of the swings. As she started to swing, I sat down on one next to her and started to do the same. Within a few minutes, she and I were whooping and yelling with excitement as we swung higher and higher.

"You're right." Rarity said afterward. "It really does feel like you're flying."

"Given what you've told me so far about yourself, I'm guessing you speak from experience?"

"Yes. My friends and I went to Cloudsdale, the land of the pegasi, to support Rainbow Dash in the Best Young Flyers competition. I volunteered to be atest subject for a spell that gave non-Pegasi wings, because only Pegasi can walk on clouds. Twilight found a cloudwalking spell afterward, and I really got into my new wings. It... didn't end well... but the point is in that last few moments on the swing set, I relived that feeling of flying through the clouds. I actually missed it a bit."


We got back to the house at around 6 PM, and we were exhausted. After the park, we went and saw "Transcendence" at the theater where I work, and had gone to Carney Fest, an annual celebration of the founding of our town (and the site of many laughs between the pair of us as Rarity turned the parade of people in period dress into an impromptu fashion show by adding commentary). I had just locked the front door when I heard a strange hissing noise.

"Did you hear that?" I asked Rarity.

"Hear what?" She replied.

"I dunno. "It sounded like a snake hissing."

"Wait... now I hear it... I think it's coming from under your recliner."

As if on cue, the chair shot up into the air. Rarity and I ran for it as the recliner landed on its side, right where we had been. We turned around near the entrance to the kitchen and saw... well... an it.

A very large and very hungry Venus Flytrap-like plant had shot up from the basement and crashed through the living room floor. Picture Audrey II, and you're right on the money. It roared at Rarity and I. We both ran into the kitchen. "Rarity, stay here. I'll be back."

"What are you doing?" She asked Incredulously.

"Trust me."

I ran into my parents' room and opened up their closet. Tucked into a corner was a large, rectangular case with the word "Winchester" on it. I opened it up and retrieved the .30-06 rifle from it. I then grabbed bullets from the box on the shelf above. I had it loaded as I returned to the kitchen.

"What is that?" Rarity asked.

"A rifle." I replied. Rarity looked at me with confusion, as if she had never seen one before, but chose not to ask further, as we had more pressing issues to deal with.

The flytrap was starting to pull itself out of the floor and trying to move toward the kitchen, letting out another roar for good measure. I took aim and fired. Rarity put her hands over her ears at the loud noise. My aim had been true: the shot struck the flytrap in the middle of its large head. It stopped moving.

Rarity and I walked over to examine the thing. I poked the thing with the barrel of the rifle. It didn't move.

"Well, I think it's dead." I said as we walked back toward the kitchen. I spoke too soon. I felt something wrap around my leg and pull me to the floor. The rifle flew out of my hands and landed on the kitchen floor, just out of reach. I turned and saw that the flytrap was still alive, bleeding from the wound but still hungry. A tentacle was leading from is mouth to my leg, slowly reeling me in. I grabbed the edge of the kitchen entryway in a desperate effort to delay my fate.

"Rarity!" I yelled. "Kick me the rifle, NOW!" She was nowhere to be found. "RARITY!!!" I felt my grip on the entryway loosen as the flytrap pulled harder. My hold gave and I was once again being pulled toward the gaping maw of the flytrap. There was nothing bolted down that I could grab onto. I thought I was done for. My life started flashing before my eyes: my parents waving me goodbye as I boarded the bus for my first day of school, Matt and I building a large tower out of Legos, my first kiss with Jennifer...

I then heard something fall in my room. Rarity then emerged, holding Zar 'Roc in a two handed grip. With a yell of fury she ran into the living room, sword held high above her head. She effortlessly brought the blood-red blade down on the tentacle holding my leg.

SQWILSHH!

The tentacle was neatly cut in two, and the flytrap let out a wail of pain as green chlorophyll sprayed everywhere. I managed to get to my feet and stumbled into the kitchen to retrieve the rifle. I returned to the living room, rifle in hand, and saw Rarity slice off another tentacle as it made for her leg.

"RARITY, MOVE!" I yelled as I took aim. Rarity dropped Zar 'Roc and dashed into the side hall as I chambered another round and fired.

Chambered. Fired.

Chambered. Fired.

Chambered. Fired.

Chambered. Click.

"Darling," Rarity started, "I think it's dead."

"ROARRRR!!!!" Nice job tempting fate, there, Rarity.

Rarity, thinking fast, grabbed the large pole lamp by the couch and shoved it into the flytrap's maw. When it bit down, it started to shake and writhe as the electric current was fed into it. It then began to smoke and spark. With one final roar, it finally died. I ran over to the wall and unplugged the lamp, mentally thanking whoever designed it for giving it a very long cord.

"Nicely done." I said. It was all I could say, really.


A few minutes after Rarity awesomely put down Audrey II, the police showed up in response to the shots fired. One look at what was left of the flytrap ensured our story was believed. After the remains of the flytrap were removed and the police finally left, it was 8 PM and I was staring at the hole in the living room floor, both wondering where the flytrap came from, and just how I was going to explain this to my parents.

"That plant shouldn't be here." Rarity said.

"You're telling me." I replied. "Mom and Dad are never going to believe this..."

"No, I mean, it shouldn't be in this world. That's a plant that's only found in parts of the Everfree Forest." She paused, noticing my confused expression. "The Everfree Forest is located..."

"Let me guess, in Equestria?"

"Yes. As for how I know that plant's from there, when you have friends like Twilight, Applejack, and Fluttershy, you pick up a lot of things you never knew before."

"So, what's it doing here?"

"How should I know?"

"I dunno, maybe it followed you when you came here?"

"Maybe, but like all plants it has to be planted in order to be of any use. Well, obviously..."

"So, I didn't plant it, and you didn't plant it. Who did?"

"I don't know, but I'm starting to think I wasn't the only one who arrived here."

I picked up Zar 'Roc from where Rarity had dropped it, and was about to return it to my room when I was then asked "What was that you used on the flytrap?"

"A rifle." I replied.

"What's a rifle?"

"A firearm. It fires a bullet that injures or kills the target."

"I have the feeling you humans use it on each other."

"Yes, the world's militaries use them. I'm guessing you don't fight with them back home?"

"No. Absolutely not. I mean, before the unicorns, pegasi and Earth ponies came together in harmony, we used swords to settle our differences... I don't really think I can complain, can I?"

"Depends. Do you guys still duel with them?"

"For sport."

"Then you can. Humans can fence for sport, but they can't use guns on each other. That would be murder."

I returned Zar 'Roc (and the holder, which was what crashed earlier) to its spot on the wall, and then went to find Rarity. She was sitting on the couch in the living room.

"I'm guessing that booth in the bathroom is a shower? I just need to clean this icky slime from the plant off me."

"Yeah. I'll go through the box of clothes and get you some pajamas."

She started for the bathroom. "Uh, Rarity?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you... for saving my life back there."

"It was nothing. Thank you for trying to stand up for me at the diner."

"As I said, he can mock me all he wants. He starts on you, that's too far."

'And he shouldn't have mocked you. You're a really sweet guy. Otherwise, you wouldn't have taken me in, loaned me clothes, or taken me out for a really fun day. That girl you were talking about earlier, Jennifer? She must not know how lucky she was, otherwise she wouldn't have left you."

The words cut a bit deep. "Yeah... otherwise she wouldn't have... left..."

Rarity went to clean up. I got her a set of purple pajamas out of the box and another new pair of boxer briefs. I handed them to her through the door when she asked for them. I got my iPod out of my room, slipped on the headphones, and hit random. Rarity came out fifteen minutes later, and noticed my iPod.

"What's that?" Rarity asked, slipping off my headphones.

"It's an iPod. It's a music player..."

"Ohhh... we have those back home. They're called NeighPods."

I was reeling from yet another bad horse pun when Rarity asked "Can I listen?"

"Sure," I said, passing her the headphones. I looked at the display to see what song was up next. It was Lauren Christy's "The Color of the Night," the awesome theme song to the serviceable thriller "Color of Night."

"This is nice." Rarity said. "It sounds like a nice slow dance song." She then looked at me and motioned for me to pause the song. "Fancy a dance, darling?"

I balked. "I... really can't dance."

"Oh, come on. Everybody can at least slow dance."

"I'm not one of those people."

"Can you at least try?"

"I don't know..."

"Please?" She asked, flashing me her best puppy-dog eyes.

How could I resist those eyes? "Alright."

After hooking the iPod into the stereo, I restarted the song. Rarity reached out and grabbed my hand. "Shall we dance?"

I walked over to her and she instructed me. "Okay. I'm guessing here, based on human anatomy, but here we go. Put your right hand on my left hip, and hold my hand up at about your shoulder level."

I did so, she then put her left arm on my other shoulder. "Okay. Now, just sway in time with the music."

We started just as Miss Christy began to sing, her smooth, lovely voice telling about two lovers moving through the dark.

I was beginning to enjoy myself, and I could tell in Rarity's eyes she was enjoying it as well. As we hit the chorus, she had me spin her.

Miss Christy promised everything she was if the man would only open up to her.

Rarity moved her hands to around my shoulders, and I, in turn, moved mine to around her waist.

All she wanted was to see him in the light, but he hid behind the Color of the Night.

We started moving around the room as the music continued, careful to avoid the hole in the floor. Rarity had me dip her.

She couldn't keep running from her past, as the mask had been torn away by love.

We continued until the song ended, our gazes held until the very end. After the song ended, I stepped back and kissed Rarity's hand.

"That was great fun." I said.

"I told you. Everyone can at least slow dance." She replied.

Rarity yawned. "Thank you for the dance, darling, but I'm going to go turn in now."

"That's fine." I replied. "I'll be heading off myself in a few minutes."

"OK then. Good night, Jimmy."

"Uh, Rarity?" I suddenly felt like telling her everything. About Jennifer. About what happened. About why I was short with her back in the car.

"Yes?"

I paused. I had lost my nerve. "...nothing. Good night."

Rarity blew me a kiss and headed off to my parents' room, leaving me alone in the living room. I thought of Jen. Of how we used to dance like that. I felt bad lying to Rarity about not being able to dance, but I felt worse about enjoying the dance with her. However, I saw how much fun she was having, and I didn't want to hurt her or make her upset.

"Jen..." I quietly said after I heard the door close, "I miss you."

Author's Note:

Soundtrack:
Jerry Goldsmith - Hold On (from "Matinee"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yW0HHQAcJhk (Jimmy gets box of clothes, Rarity chooses wardrobe, leaving the house)
Olivia Newton-John - Magic (from "Xanadu"): http://grooveshark.com/#!/s/Magic/2Nnen?src=5 (Jukebox music)
Harold Faltermeyer - Ave Maria (from "Kuffs"): http://youtu.be/Pe3_bjiypGU (Conversation in the car, park trip)
Ernest Troost - Zombie Attack (from "Dead Heat"): http://youtu.be/NQk6JdsqQH0?t=12m58s (The flytrap attack)
Lauren Christy - The Color of the Night (from "Color of Night"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cv_j6BXeNGg (The dance scene)
Dave Grusin - The Goondocks (from "The Goonies"): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRW7LPuuOCo (Rarity goes to bed, Jimmy alone)