• Published 24th Dec 2014
  • 2,940 Views, 57 Comments

The Legacy of IceHeart - MineLittleDashie



A human becomes the prince of the windigoes, but what will he do when he is banished from his kingdom.

  • ...
7
 57
 2,940

Chapter 1: A deal with a spirit thing

*Note to readers* Assume that Jonathan's normal speaking is monotone.*

The Legacy of IceHeart

I stand on my balcony, the wind and snow swirling around me. I stand there....and remember.
----------------------------------------

"No! Don't do it!" I screamed, trying to push my way through the crowd to the execution platform. "They're innocent!"

"Shut up boy!"

A guard grabbed the back of my shirt and pulled me backwards, throwing me into one of the many mud-filled potholes gouged into the street. I coughed and stood back up, dripping.

I made another run at the platform, but Baron Sarrenden must've been prepared for an incident, for I was instantly accosted by two more guards, both with their swords out.

"That's enough out of you." One of them snarled as he smashed the hilt of his weapon into my gut, causing all the air to whoosh out of my lungs.

I dropped to my knees in pain, but was soon hauled to my feet by the other guard, who then proceeded to half-drag me towards one of the empty prison carts. After a few moments, I had recovered and attempted to fight back, but being a skinny, physically weak kid, I wasn't able to break free. A quick cuff to the head dazed me.

The guard who wasn't holding me unlocked the cart door and held it open while the other shoved me in.

"I know it may be hard, but you'll thank us when this is over." He said, trying to sound sympathetic as he closed and locked the door. Then both guards turned away and went back to the crowd.

"No." I gasped, still slightly groggy from the blow to my head.

Using the bars as supports, I attempted to stand. My legs were shaking and my head was spinning. Exhausted, I gripped the bars even tighter and laid my head against them, breathing slowly and deeply.

"Thomas and Carren Farmer," the voice of the baron rang out over the shouts of the townspeople. "You have been tried and found guilty of crimes against both the king and kingdom of Heradiom! These crimes include, but are not limited to: witchcraft, the worship of hethen gods, conspiring with hostile nations against Heradiom, and espionage for these same hostile nations! Having been found guilty of these crimes, you have been placed in the hands of the law! As judge of this case, I am the law! And the law sentences you to death!"

I looked up in horror to see two people, a man and a woman, being escorted to the steps of the execution platform by several soldiers, The crowd jeering at them.

As I watched, I began to feel tears slide down my face. I tried to shout, but my voice failed me. Instead of watching, I closed my eyes and bowed my head, gripping the bars even tighter.

It was all over.

"You must feel horrible, don't you?"

I started in surprise and twisted my head this way and that. What was that?

"Oh yes, I'm really here. There's nothing wrong with you."

There was no way.... That voice was coming out of thin air!

I licked my lips nervously. "Who are you? What are you? Why are you even here?"

The surrounding area became noticeably colder.

"Why, does a girl need a reason these days?" the voice laughed. "But let's get back to you. You look like you need help, and that is something I can offer."

Now, despite my age, I knew that making a deal with something you couldn't see was a bad idea, but I was desperate and began nodding. "Yes, help me, please!" I cried desperately

"Oh, so young and so eager." the voice laughed again. "But you'll need to do something for me in return."

I glanced nervously back at the execution platform. The baron was having the two poor souls paraded around the parameter of the platform, allowing the other townspeople to throw fruit at the prisoners. Good, there was still some time.

"Yes, anything!" I shouted in excitement, with a little bit of hope.

The air seemed to twitch with anticipation.

"Anything?"

"Anything," I confirmed.

There was a moment of silence. I shuffled in concern.

"Very well, I will grant you the power to save the two you have feelings for, but don't go forgetting our deal now."

Suddenly, I felt a chill. It started at the top of my spine and worked its way downwards, branching off as it went, until my fingers and toes were tingling from the cold. Then it stopped. Nothing seemed to have happened, so curiously, I reached out and touched the bars of the prison cart.

Nothing.

I sighed in exasperation and defeat. Maybe I had imagined the whole thing, but if I hadn't, then I would be able to get out of the cart! I was snapped out of my thoughts by a quiet crackling noise. I looked down, and nearly died from surprise, for the bars I had been gripping, were slowly turning to ice! I continued to watch curiously until the bars were completely covered in ice, then a thought struck me, and I pulled at them.

*SNAP* *SNAP*

Both bars broke away from the frame. I dropped them in surprise and stared at my hands. Was this all real? Wait! I stretched my arm through the window, reaching around for the lock. My fingers scratched against the wood, before feeling the cold metal padlock, the only thing keeping me in.

I made sure that I had a solid grip on the lock, then willed for freedom. Sure enough, the faint crackling noise reached my ears. A smile began to grow on my face as the magic, what I figured this was, took effect.

Within seconds, there was another snap as the now fragile lock broke apart, freeing me from the cart.

I inched the door open and peered around cautiously. No one seemed to have noticed me yet, but that's not surprising, considering how loud the crowd was.

I emerged completely from my prison and raised my eyes to the execution platform. My blood froze. (Not literally.) The two prisoners had already been forced to their knees. The burly executioner stood above them, his axe raised in the air. I watched in horror as the weapon began to descend.

"No!" I screamed, stretching out my arm as if I could reach out and stop the axe.

Suddenly, my arm began to tremble and a beam of light-bluish energy exploded out of my palm, aimed directly at the executioner. I closed my eyes and fought the force that threatened to throw me back.

Eventually, the force lessened, then stopped altogether. I carefully opened one eye, then both eyes popped open and I gasped. The executioner was no longer flesh and blood, but an entire ice sculpture, his axe merely inches from the neck of the first prisoner.
What had I done?

It was then that I registered the stares.

I looked around to find everyone staring at me. Many were looks of horror, but there was disbelief and even some anger present on their faces. The baron himself seemed shaken, his face pale and sweaty, but he soon composed himself.

"The boy is in league with these two!" He pointed at the prisoners onstage. "Guards, seize him!"

I heard the clanking of metal, and turned to see the same two guards from before moving towards me, swords drawn. Not wanting to take the chance of close combat, I reached out my arm again. The guards must've put two and two together, because they sped up to a run, trying to get to me before I could get them. But my magic was quicker.

The beam of ice shot out and insta-froze them. A metal hand gripped my shoulder and I reached back and grabbed the it. Almost instantly, I could hear the crackling of ice. The man cried out in fear and released me, pulling out of my grip as if getting out of contact with me would stop the magic. I turned and was surprised to see that the ice was still spreading. It had already claimed the guard's hand, and was now starting on the arm.

The other guards surrounded me, but kept good distance away, afraid of what might happen to them if they approached.

It was a stalemate for a few moments as both me and the guards stared at each other. Despite having been scared earlier, I felt better now, less afraid.

But my fear returned when one of the guards had the bright idea to adjust his spear until it was in a throwing position. I might've been able to freeze things, but I couldn't keep something sharp from piercing me. In fact, covering the spear with ice might've just made it worse!

The rest of the guards followed the example of the first one.

I had to save myself...

Every guard was ready to throw.

In order to save my parents...

The spears flew from the guards' hands, all aimed at one target.

I HAD TO LIVE!!!

Suddenly, there was a loud noise and my vision blurred, before everything turned white for a minute.

I waited, not sure what had happened, and then I heard the exclamations of the crowd. I opened my eyes (which had somehow closed), and found myself standing on a raised platform near the execution platform! I could see over the crowd to where I must've been standing merely moments before, a place marked by several spears sticking out of a large pile of snow, despite us not having recieved any, and surrounded with many surprised soldiers.

Wait, a raised platform? I turned to my right and saw the very one who had caused all this trouble. The Baron was not six feet away, his face as pale as a ghost.

Suddenly, a flood of anger welled up inside me and I let out a scream of hate. I spun around and grabbed his neck firmly in my hand.

I suppose it was only natural, but he began to sputter like a child.

"P-please don't kill me! It was only a misunderstanding! I promise that I'll right this wrong at once! Just let me go!"

Oh, how I wanted to end his miserable life there and then, but a glance towards my parents, and the horror on their faces, told me that if I did such a thing, I would no longer be treated as family.

I brought my face closer to the baron's. "You do not deserve to rule over anyone, but I can't command you not to. However, I am taking the prisoners and leaving. If you try to stop us, or send people after us, I will return. Is that understood?"

The baron was too afraid to speak, so merely nodded his head.

I scowled, but released my hold on him. I then turned and, using my power, created an ice bridge over to the execution platform.

I mad short work of the ropes that bound my parents, then led the shaky couple back to the house so we could pack.

Once we had gathered our essentials, the three of us left town.

But little did I know how short of a time I would spend with them.

Author's Note:

Hey everypony!
Guess what? I'm not dead!
I apologize for the lack of updates, but I didn't have the time.

Anyway, i hope you enjoy this more winter themed story in honor of the holidays.

-Minelittledashie