• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 3,746 Views, 162 Comments

Diary of the Dead - AppleTank



Sometimes, you want to live just a little bit longer. And longer. And longer

  • ...
14
 162
 3,746

22: Diary 4/ Lich and Life Extension [2] Regeneration: Addendum

Thanks to Agatha, or rather, Trestine at the moment of writing this, a pseudo loophole has been found to the Restoration process. As one may recall, trying to Regenerate an object causes defects to slowly appear upon each successive casting, like entropy. Casting this on melted ice would require more energy than the amount needed to melt it to refreeze it, and result in a chunk of ice alarmingly brittle. Casting this spell on a weathered box would only remove most of the damage, and also leave micro-imperfections that weaken the structure as a whole.

Casting this spell on living beings causes minor damage to the target’s cells, which accumulates rapidly upon successive castings due to the larger amount of stress a living creature endures.

However, it appears that substitutes can subvert the failing/defective bits. In Trestine’s case, raw magic from a laboratory accident mixed with the spell while the spell was just about to finish, somehow binding it with her form. She is currently about 5% magic by volume, which is apparently enough to substitute for genetic damage, at least temporarily. A few weeks after the incident, Gladas estimated that Trestine should be able to have an at least a few decades before the magic burns out, time that can me done to find more reliable substitutes.

Some modifications have been done to the rune circle to take in this development, and to make it less on random chance. Gladas had speculated that the issue may be similar to those from inbreeding: that trying to copy the same thing over and over again and expecting perfection just wasn’t feasible. However, adding a little bit of something unique reduces the need for perfect accuracy.

This data point reveals a possibility we had never considered before, and may give us options in improving the spell’s efficiency. Combinations may boost, or change the composition of an object. This may allow more unique alloys, and a fairly simple way in forging them.

Though doing it improperly would also create a very simple spell to kill, therefore much testing and time would be required before we can even begin to test how this can affect the Phylactery systems.

If it improves, or even perfects the Phylactery, then I will be able to raise my home from its grave, and protect my new family. Forever.

Author's Note:

I can't decide whether Cycle is the narrator for these things or not.