• Published 25th Dec 2014
  • 3,741 Views, 162 Comments

Diary of the Dead - AppleTank



Sometimes, you want to live just a little bit longer. And longer. And longer

  • ...
14
 162
 3,741

17: Reminiscence

“What!?”

I looked up desperately at the black crow angrily ruffling its feathers. Blackbird had followed Gladas through most of her young adult life, almost constantly by her side. In the chaos of Gladas’s “accident”, everyone all but forgot about keeping track of him. By the time they thought to check up on Gladas’s remaining possessions, his cage was cracked open, and the bird never to be seen again.

Of course, the truth was he still remained by her side. He was getting fairly old by the time Gladas disappeared from griffon society, frankly it was a bit of a miracle he could still fly as well as he did then.

Gladas almost immediately delayed her Phylactery bonding to work out a ritual to bring Blackbird with her. The modification was fairly simple, and now Blackbird was directly connected to Gladas’s soul. As long as the griffon lived, so would he.

“You’re our best navigator,” I pleaded. “I don’t know who else would be able to find the town my friend’s in.”

“And how would I do?”

I grinned and pulled out a soggy brochure. “I got his place marked down right here. The cold doesn’t bother me anyways.”

“Yes, yes,” the bird rolled his eyes. “But fly-ing? Nooo. Ice crystals. Slow wing. Slow thrust. No flight speed. Keep me out.”

“Uh. Um.” I furiously wracked my brain. “I could ... carry you in my cloak?”

Blackbird squinted down at me dubiously. “Tied down, barely sight? Wonderful.”

I felt phantom sweat crawl over my back. “Please. If there’s anything you need, I’ll do it for you, no questions. He’s all I have left."

Blackbird stared at me for a long time. "I ... consider." He spread his wings and disappeared down the halls.

I followed his flight, then groaned, clutching my head. "Please. Don’t die. Just a little longer. Please..."


Blackbird gave Agatha the stinkeye. "Well, it happened, like you said. Why interest?”

Stuart-5’s tail waved menacingly besides Agatha’s paw, one that the griffon happily ignored. “Oh, if his friend turns out to be dead, Cycle will still be operational. Might~ be a bit unstable.”

“Would be better to hide friend,” Blackbird groaned.

Agatha tapped her chin. “Not necessarily. An unfortunate result of his haphazard phylactery installation is that his emotional balance is permanently altered. In a bad direction. All hiding would do is delay it.”

Blackbird cawed unhappily. “Will think,” he muttered.

“Teach him navigation himself, perhaps?” Agatha suggested. “Take the load off you, pass on some skills, and you don’t need to leave.”

Blackbird paused in his turn, then nodded.

“Oh,” Agatha added, raising a claw. “Recall when I mentioned the stability of our ... little operation is quite linked to Cycle’s?”

Blackbird took off, looped around, and landed on Agatha’s cheeks, his talons digging into her face. “She is right. You are not to be trusted.” He flipped off her face and flew away.

Blood dripped down Agatha's face as her grin faded into a grimace. Crawling out of her room to intercept Gladas's pet was necessary, but her body was in full out revolt.

Gladas's surgery could only do so much against a body that was falling apart.

Maybe... one more life? she asked the empty corridors. She slumped onto the wall, sliding down. Stuart had already vanished. "Brat," she muttered.

Look at you, genius. Queen of a single house, and now barely able to move. Dammit! I escaped from the royals grasp, but even now time threatens to claim me. Agatha gripped her brow in frustration. But ... Harmony. You're hiding something, you piece of compost. I will not take the easy way out and just install a Phylactery. As long as you fear me I refuse to lie down and die! I will give Honeycomb the best chance they've got with what time I have.

Agatha forced through pin and daggers to get to her feet, shuffling back to her quarters. Just you wait.

Author's Note:

1) Some of you may have noticed the Berry Punch tag there. No, that is not an accident. She's coming. Eventually. Just not in the way you might think.
2) So... It's kinda quiet down there. Comments? Something? Anything? Really, only 2 people so far have actually said an opinion on the story itself.
3) I don't have editors. I don't know if I'm screwing anything up, besides my own abilities. I'm also bad at long term planning, and I may or may not secretly reorganize the timeline. Sorry.

...Halp.