• Published 1st Nov 2014
  • 1,255 Views, 98 Comments

The Adventures of Spectrum Slash - CCC



Rainbow Dash tries to write a story. Discord decides to lend a helpful paw...

  • ...
1
 98
 1,255

Applejack/On

"You sure you got all you need?" asked Applejack.

"Eeeyup," said Big Mac, firmly.

"Fireproof boots?"

"Eeeyup."

"Lion-tamer's chair?"

"Eeeyup."

"Snake-charmer's flute?"

"Eeeyup," replied Big Mac, sounding a little bored.

"Ricotta cheese?"

"Eeeyup." Big Mac's boredom mixed with a little irritation.

"Pies?"

"Eeeyup."

"Hey, Applejack!" called out Rainbow. "You going someplace?"

"Nah, Big Mac's just got a pie delivery t'do," said Applejack, turning to greether friend. "An' who's this?"

"Applejack, meet Spectrum Slash. Spectrum Slash, meet Applejack. And here's her brother, Big Macintosh."

"Eeeeyup," said Big Macintosh, dreamily. He leaned slightly towards Spectrum Slash with a silly grin on his face, and one could alsmost see little hearts in his eyes.

"You are Apple Horse," said Spectrum Slash, firmly.

Applejack blinked. "No, Ah ain't, Ah'm Applejack," she said, with equal firmness.

"This world's Apple Horse, then," said Spectrum Slash. "Discord brought me to a world surprisingly like my own, but... different."

"Ahhhhh," said Applejack, nodding. Discord was involved. That explained everything.

"What is strange is that I have not yet found the other me," said Spectrum Slash.

Applejack glanced between Spectrum and Rainbow. "Are y'sure o'that, sugarcube?" she asked.

"I have not yet met anypony with sufficient levels of awesome to be considered my counterpart," insisted Spectrum Slash.

"Ah see," said Applejack.

"But perhaps you can help me track her down," continued Spectrum. "Is there a pegasus who regularly harvests all your apples in ten seconds flat because there's too much for just you?"

Applejack shook her head. "Nope," she said. "Me an' mah brother do all the applebucking necessary."

"Maybe there isn't a Spectrum Slash in this world, then," Spectrum mused. "Maybe everypony else is doing so many things because there never was a Spectrum to help them. Or maybe this world's Spectrum Slash is just really lazy. Maybe Discord's trying to show me what my world would be like without me."

"Eeeeeeyup," said Big Macintosh, dreamily.

~~~~~

"What I don't understand," said Discord, "is if nopony but Spectrum can touch the weather, then how was the weather run before Spectrum was born?"

"Oh, the pegasi did that," said Celestia. "I don't - I don't like to think back to those days."

Discord raised an eyebrow. "Why not?" he asked. "Did you have lots of disasters?"

Celestia winced. "Not... not so much," she admitted. "It went... smoothly. But things are better now, really! Now that Spectrum Slash is here, she can handle everything!" She gave Discord a nervous grin.

Discord, for his part, offered a very flat look in exchange. "Everything," he said.

"Yes!" said Celestia. "Everything! Spectrum Slash has to be the one to handle everything! Stuff goes wrong if anypony else tries!"

Discord raised his left eyebrow. "Are you saying that the very laws of the universe are conspiring to make sure that Spectrum Slash is the only pony permitted to partake of particularly positive action of any persuasion?"

"Yes!" squeaked Celestia, nodding rapidly and somewhat nervously. "Only - Spectrum Slash - is allowed to do - anything!"

"I see," said Discord. "So, if I am ever going to help anypony, I'd need to find some way around that rule..."

Celestia winced. "Don't!" she said. "It... it only gets worse, if you try to fight back against it... and then... and then it's other ponies who bear the brunt of it..."

"Oh, don't worry," said Discord. "I wouldn't do a thing to harm any ponies. Nonetheless - breaking the rules is rather a speciality of mine."

He cracked his knuckles.

"It. Is. On."