• Published 1st Nov 2014
  • 2,417 Views, 114 Comments

The Adventures of Derpy, Lyra, and Octavia - IsabellaAmoreSirenix



After a dorm room mix-up, Derpy, Lyra, and Octavia find themselves living together for one month at Princess Luna's Academy for the Fine Arts. Chance of survival? 1 percent. Chaos took the other 99.

  • ...
2
 114
 2,417

PreviousChapters Next
Movie Night at Room 305! The Advent of References!

Author's Note:

Besides the obvious reference to Transformers and the comment-mentioned Pride & Prejudice & Zombies that made up the movie's title, there are five references in the movie itself. Four of them are from anime. The non-anime one should be easy. But for the anime ones, here's a hint: They were first aired in Japan in 2013, 2014, 2011, and 2009 (in order of appearance in the chapter). Guess them, and you get an internet cookie! :pinkiehappy:

"Octavia Elizabeth Melody! Explain yourself!"

"Can't I just remain an enigma of existence or some other existential nonsense?" grumbled Octavia, squinting as bright rays of sunlight streamed through the windows. "What is it now?"

After banging its horn on the underside of the bed, Lyra's face emerged triumphantly from the dark depths of Octavia's suitcase. With her kind of smile, that day could have been Hearth's Warming Eve, summer vacation, and her birthday all rolled into one.

Naturally, Octavia was stricken with terror.

"How long have I known you?" Lyra demanded.

The musician glanced at the wall calendar. "Er... roughly three weeks?"

"Exactly! And not once, not once ever, did you stop to mention this?!" She held up in her magic a glossy set of packaged film reels.

Octavia's eyes widened like a mouse trapped in a corner. "Oh come on, I haven't watched those in ages!"

The cat threw back her head in laughter. "But you like them enough to bring them to the academy! Out of all the ponies I've met, I'd never have expected you to own a full set of Zombies and Transformers™ action movies!"

"Hey, you can't say that!" scolded Octavia Melody™. "That's copyrighted!"

Lyra Heartstrings™ gave Octavia a pointed look. "Not for those under the Hasbro gods."

"Hi, girls!" greeted Derpy Hooves™, climbing through a hole in their dorm room wall. "What's up?"

Lyra gave Octavia a devious sneer. "Oh, it's good that you're here, Derpy!" said the unicorn. "We were just about to watch some of Octavia's film reels!"

"Wait, no we--!"

Derpy's eyes could have lit up Los Pegasus. "A movie?" she nearly squeaked. "That's so amazing! Are we having popcorn, too?"

"I don't know, Derpy," said Lyra, swiveling around to face Octavia. "Are we, Octavia?"

Octavia sighed. There's no way to win in this world. "I'll be back in two minutes."


"And on that day, ponykind received a grim reminder: They lived in fear of the Megapoids."

Lyra almost toppled off the bed. "Oh my Celestia!" she cried - with actual tears leaking from her eyes as she laughed. "Is that really how it starts off?"

"Shh!" reprimanded Octavia, blushing furiously. "Be quiet, it gets better!"

Still grinning from ear to ear, Lyra wiped away her tears of mirth. "Oh, I don't know if it can get much better than this. This is going to be fantastic, absolutely fantastic!"


"Alright, prediction time, everypony," said Lyra. "Which one in this lot is going to die first?"

Derpy's eyes widened. "Oh, I don't think that anypony's going to die--"

"That dude with the purple eyes," said Lyra.

"Mauve eyes," said Octavia.

"Yeah, him. He's going to die first."

"And why exactly is that?" asked Octavia.

Lyra shrugged. "His hair is styled weirdly."

"That's it?" Octavia asked. "Hairstyles determine life or death in your world?"

"Well yeah, of course!"

Octavia smiled and shook her head. "You're impossible."


"A storm's coming, Twelve," said a shrouded figure standing on a balcony. "Do you think Cherry Blossom will make it back alright?"

"Of course she will, Nine!" said another stallion. "Cherry's made of far tougher stuff than a little wind and rain."

"Nine and Twelve?" Lyra scoffed. "What kinds of names are those?"

"They're code names, idiot," Octavia replied, "so they can't be traced by the NLR."

"Pretty stupid code names, if you ask me," commented Lyra. "I mean, imagine walking down the street and hearing about somepony called Nine. It'd raise some heads, wouldn't you think?"

Octavia shrugged. "Maybe, I don't know, ponies can be pretty oblivious. More popcorn, Derpy?"

"Yes, please!" she said, offering Octavia her bowl.

"That's the first time I've heard her talk all movie," whispered Octavia to Lyra. "Do you think she's okay?"

Lyra turned to see the little pegasus quietly munching on popcorn as she stared intently at the screen. "We're only five minutes in," she said. "Maybe she's just trying to focus on the setup."

"Or bidding her time," suggested Octavia.

"Says the evil demon alien changeling."

Octavia threw a kernel of popcorn at Lyra's face.


"Oh my gosh!" squealed Derpy as a tiny cat-rabbit animal came on screen. "That's so cute!"

"It's the devil," Octavia said simply.

"What? But it's so adorable!"

"It has red eyes," said Octavia, "and a creepy smile. That is a textbook devil."

Lyra grinned. "You would know all about that, wouldn't you, Octavia?"

Octavia slammed her face into her popcorn. "I set myself up for that one."

"Yeah, yeah you did. Good job!"

Octavia buried her head once again.


"Okay, now that's totally, one hundred percent, without a shadow of a doubt, blatant fan service."

"No it isn't!" Octavia protested as she watched Azre use her hybrid powers to transform into a skimpy metal fighting skirt. "It's part of her abilities as one of the Transformers!"

"I'm sure that's what every stallion over ten is thinking when they watch this scene," said Lyra. "Absolutely."


"We have a serious problem on our hooves," said Nine, seated at the head of a long oakwood table. "Now that Five's shown up murdered, the NLR has found us. They know our operations, our locations, our very identities. Now," he continued, standing up to pace behind his nervous companions, "the information that was leaked to them was of the highest security. Security that cannot be hacked. Security that only the ponies in this room have the ability to override." He gave each pony a pointed look before folding neatly into his chair. "Need I say any more?"

"It was Twelve," said Lyra, pointing a hoof slick with butter at the screen. "It had to have been Twelve. That guy is mental as hell."

"No, it's Azre," said Octavia. "She's way too serious, and she doesn't communicate at all with anypony. She's really sketchy, if you ask me."

"Hey, I thought you had seen this movie already," Lyra said.

"I haven't seen this one in so long; I've actually forgotten the ending."

"Well, at least that's our guard against spoilers," said Lyra before taking another hoof full of popcorn.

"I think the traitor's Cherry Blossom," said Derpy.

"Really, kid?" asked Lyra, raising her eyebrows above her mane line. "I don't know. I mean, Cherry's smart and all, but come on, we all know she's pretty useless in a fight."

Derpy just shrugged and kept watching.


"Well, I'm off," whispered Azre, looking to the distance, where a giant robot towered over Manehattan. "I suppose this is goodbye, then."

Cherry Blossom grabbed her hoof just as she was about to walk away. "No, it's not," she insisted. Tears were poured into her eyes, as if her face had two shimmering hazel teacups that were just about to overflow. "You're the strongest, bravest pony I know."

"Sometimes in life, that's just not enough."

"But it is for me," said Cherry Blossom with a smile. "Just promise me that you'll come back to us your brains safe and sound, alright?"

Azre remained silent for a moment, her fiery red hair blowing in the empty wind. "I don't want to become a liar," she whispered.

"Then let me make the promise instead: You're going to come back to us, Azre."

Lyra covered her mouth with both hooves, lest a snort bubble up to the surface. "There's no way around it," she said. "Those two are gay, right?"

Octavia smirked. "Oh, absolutely."


Tch-tch-tch-tch-tch!

Munch, munch.

Heavy panting. A desperate cry for help. More lasers. More flashing lights. More gunshots.

Munch, munch.

Tch-tch-tch-tch-tch-tch!

Munch.

Octavia rolled her eyes. "You don't even care, do you, Lyra?"

"Not at all!" Lyra replied cheerfully. "This whole scene is far overdone. I mean, having the Megapoid dispatch rounds of flaming spikeballs from its eyes in order to zombie-fy ponies? Come on, that's straight out of a cheesy 920's flick."

"Have you ever heard of just going along with the flow of the movie? It would make everything--shh!"

"Finally, she learns to shut up!" cheered Lyra before nearly choking on a grey hoof roughly slammed into her mouth.

"Shh!" repeated Octavia, eyes glued to the screen, where Azre was hovering above the city via a hovercraft surfboard. "Listen!"

Then slowly, an orchestral piece built like rolling waves, first with the booming drums, then a solitary flute, then heralds of brass instruments, and finally a cello wailing before fading into silence.

When Octavia finally removed her hoof, Lyra started laughing once again. "Haha! Is that why you like this movie, Octy? For the soundtrack? Ha, if I didn't loathe you with every fiber of my being, I'd find that so cute! Haha!"

Octavia rolled her eyes.


Nine closed his eyes as he stood above the Megapoid's head, now riddled with holes just big enough for a pony to fit through. "It's all up to you know, Azre. Protect Cherry Blossom; she's just a civilian. Solve the mystery of who killed Five. And... And if it turns out to be Twelve, then you know what to do."

"You can't!" Azre screamed. "You can't just die!"

"Azre... no, Number Thirteen... you don't yet understand what it means to fight the Megapoids, what it means to be a full-fledged Transformer. This..." He gestured to the buildings sleeping in smoldering ashes. "...this is nothing to me. Life, it doesn't mean anything once you start fighting Megapoids. But you have to still stay alive, understand? You need to fight."

Azre stepped forward, tears brimming in her violet eyes. "I love you," she said, clear and strong.

Nine opened his eyes a sliver. They were the color of breaking clouds. "I know." Then he jumped into the Megapoid.

Azre winced as she felt the metal creature she was standing on shake horribly as Nine tore it apart from the inside. Then with a suddenly blast, she felt herself being propelled for miles before crashing into a crumbled wall.

As fire from burning metal rained down around her, what power was held in a few tears?

"Oh my Celestia..." A wailing like an elephant could be heard as Lyra blew her nose.

"Why?" sobbed Octavia. "Why does it have to end for him like that?"

"I know, I know!" said Lyra. "Oh Celestia, I can't do this..."

"I-I thought you were fine with Nine dying," said Octavia. "You said so in the beginning."

"That was before I knew how amazing he was!"

"Wait," said Derpy, her eyes dry as could be, "isn't Azre supposed to be gay?"

Both Octavia and Lyra looked up from the tissue box simultaneously. "Shoot, that's right," said Octavia. "Great, now Megapoids destroy ships, too."

Lyra grinned. "Still shipping it," she said.


"You truly were foolish enough to believe that you could trust in such a silly thing like friendship?" mocked Zero, pacing around the three captives, while his army of zombies stood guard. "I bet you would be surprised to learn the truth. One of your comrades has betrayed you. And I know who."

"This is it," said Lyra, leaning in. "It's going to be Twelve."

"Have you not been watching the movie?" demanded Octavia. "Twelve would never side with the NLR, not after his battle with the Megapoid. It's Azre; she's too cold about everything."

"Come on," said Lyra to the screen, "it's the crazy one."

"It's the aloof one," said Octavia.

Zero sneered. "It was a pleasure working with you, Cherry Blossom."

What followed next was a good five minutes of screaming "What?!" in varying pitches and levels of volume. Meanwhile, Derpy calmly chewed the rest of her popcorn.

"I told you," she said simply. "It had to be Cherry Blossom. She was too good."

At that, Octavia shook her head and patted Derpy's shoulder. With a smile, she said, "It's always the quiet ones."

PreviousChapters Next