• Published 1st Nov 2014
  • 2,577 Views, 66 Comments

Rainbow Dash OOC - LightningSword



Rainbow Dash seems kinda "out of character" . . . .

  • ...
18
 66
 2,577

Rainbow Dash OOC

“Wow! Isn't it just a beautiful, wonderful, pony-rific day?”

Rainbow Dash skipped through Ponyville—yes, skipped—breathing in the fresh morning air and smiling wide enough for all of Equestria to see. The sun shone brightly, butterflies danced in the breeze, and the birds sang a merry tune. Soon, Rainbow Dash danced and sang along with them, feeling good to be alive.

It was so weird.

Dash stopped when she saw one of her friends crossing a busy street, then hovered over to her. “Hi, there, Applejack!” Dash greeted with a cheery grin, “How are you this lovely morning?”

Not quite paying attention to the way in which it was imparted, Applejack continued pulling her empty cart back to Sweet Apple Acres. “Oh, I'm doin' fine, Rainbow Dash,” she replied, “Just carryin' this here cart back home. Had a big deliv'ry to make today.”

“Really? Wow, that sounds like really hard work! I could help you, if you want.”

“That's mighty kind of you, sugarcube, but—”

Before Applejack could finish, Rainbow Dash slipped underneath the cart, lifted it into the air, and sped off into the distance, reaching Sweet Apple Acres in record time. As amazed as she was by Dash's speed, Applejack was even more amazed by her helpfulness. She had declined, and that was usually enough to lose the lazy Pegasus' interest. This was highly peculiar.

“YAY!” Dash cheered, “All done! Anything else you need, my bestest, most wonderfullest friend in the whole world?”

Now, it had gone from peculiar to bizarre. “Uhh . . .” Applejack tried to answer, “No. But I do appreciate the help, there, Dash.”

“Aww, what a wonderful thing to say!” Dash replied, hugging Applejack tightly, “But remember, if you need me, I'm right here for you, my lovely friend! Ta-ta, and have a beautiful day!” And with that, Rainbow Dash skipped away, humming a tune.

Now, it had gone from bizarre to disturbing.

* * *

Twilight heard a knock on the door, and set down the book she was reading to go and answer it. She opened the door, and her eyes told her that Rainbow Dash was on the other side.

Her ears, however, told her something entirely different.

“Hello, lovely, sweet Twilight Sparkle! It's ever-so-nice to see you today!”

Surprised by Rainbow Dash's uncharacteristic greeting, Twilight replied, “Uh, good morning, Rainbow Dash. Did you need help with something?”

“Why, yes, I did! Gosh, you're so good at being so helpful! You see, I was looking for a special book.”

Twilight nodded, glad that something made sense, “Ah, I see. You wanted to see if the latest Daring Do novel was here, huh? Well, give me one second, and I'll—”

“Oh, no, not that old stuff. I wanted to know if you had a copy of a book called Pretty Prose for the Practical Pony Poet. You wouldn't happen to have it, would you?”

And now, sense was thrown completely out the door. Poetry? This was so unlike Rainbow Dash. And turning down the chance to read the newest Daring Do novel? What was going on?

Twilight felt her librarian's obligations press her, and she invited Dash inside, “Well, okay, if you're sure. I'm pretty sure it's over here.” Twilight trotted over to the poetry shelf and began scrutinizing it for the title Dash asked for. She glanced over at Dash, and she seemed to be passing the time by petting Owlowicious.

“Ooooh, you little feathery cutie! I could just eat you up, you're so precious! Cootchie-cootchie-coo!”

Owlowiscious hooted in a way that sounded almost like a giggle as Dash tickled him under his beak and gave him a kiss on his head.

Twilight's eyes widened, as if she were watching a train wreck. “Uhh, Rainbow Dash?” she asked, almost not wanting to hear her reply, “Are you okay? You seem . . . . . different today.”

“Why, of course I'm okay!” Dash replied with a huge smile, “I'm just being my old, cheerful, giving, helpful, loving, tolerant self today! Why would you ask, Twilight, my dear friend?”

Twilight was right; she did not want to hear that.

Finally finding the book Dash had asked for, she pulled it off the shelf with her magic, and it hovered in midair before her as she walked back to Dash. “Here you go,” she said, extending the book to Dash, “I'll put you down for the usual checkout rate. Just remember the checkout date, okay? You haven't been good about checking in your books on time.”

“Oh, don't you worry, Twilight! I'll have your book back promptly by this time in exactly one week! In fact, what's the time?” She looked over to the nearest clock, “Ah-ha! Ten-thirty-seven! Expect your book back by ten-thirty-seven in the morning exactly seven days from now! Oh, this is for all my overdue fees.” She pulled a large bag of bits from under her wing and sat it on Twilight's desk. “Keep the change, 'kay, pal? See you later, and have a perfect day!” With one last tickle for Owlowicious, she tucked the poetry book into her wing and skipped—yes, skipped—out of the library.

“But . . .” Twilight mumbled, unable to comprehend what just happened, “The book's due in two weeks . . .”

Standing stunned in the library for a good few seconds, Twilight finally broke out of her stupor, rushed to the reference shelf, ripped a book off the shelf, and dove into it: Common and Severe Neuroses of Pegasi.

* * *

“And when Gilda yelled at you and hurt your feelings, I'm sorry about that. Oh, and when I gave you a hard time on that trip to talk to the dragon? Yeah, I'm sorry about that, too. Oh, and remember the jousting event during the Crystal Faire? Yeah, I'm really, really sorry about that, too . . .”

Rainbow Dash had been shelling out apology after heartfelt apology for the last two hours, and although she didn't want to admit it, it was driving Fluttershy crazy. She continued apologizing even as they walked through town; not even leaving her house to see Rarity had stopped Dash from atoning for every single little thing she'd ever done to Fluttershy, from the time they met as fillies in Cloudsdale to this very moment.

“And the time I practically forced you to train to help with that tornado just so I could beat some silly record? I'm really sorry! Gosh, that was so selfish of me! And the time I made you walk into the Everfree Forest, and that phantom pony scared you? I'm sooooooooo sorry! I was such an inconsiderate bully—”

“Rainbow Dash, please!” Fluttershy spoke up over her, but recoiled quickly, “Oh, um, I'm sorry for interrupting . . . but, you've said enough, really. You're my friend, and I forgive you, I really do.”

“Oh, but it's just not enough!” Dash fretted, “I've been so mean and hurtful to you, and you've done nothing but forgive me, or brush it off, every single time! You're my friend, we came from the same town, and we're both Pegasi! We're practically sisters! And I've been a terrible sister! You don't deserve to have a meanie like me as your friend! And I don't deserve to have a sweet, kind, caring, compassionate, sympathetic pony like you as a fr—”

“RAINBOW DASH!” Fluttershy squealed as they both stopped, finally feeling it unnecessary to account for her rudeness, “Please, you don't have to do this. You've done bad things, I know. But you're still my friend, and I forgive you, honest. Just please, stop feeling so bad about this. It's all in the past, okay?”

Dash's eyes widened and misted upon hearing this, and she pulled Fluttershy in for a hug so strong, she felt several joints snap. “Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!” she cried out joyfully, “You're the sweetest pony in the whole, big, wide world! And I will never be mean to you again, Fluttershy! I promise!”

If that promise was any indication of Dash's unusual behavior, then Fluttershy was inclined to miss the old, rude, lazy, pushy, selfish, tactless Rainbow Dash.

They finally reached Rarity's boutique together, and when Fluttershy knocked, Rarity let them in. “Fluttershy! Glad you could come, darling!” the Unicorn greeted her, and was surprised to see her company, “And Rainbow Dash! What a surprise! Did you want to review my latest project, as well?”

“Oh, I don't think so, Rarity,” Fluttershy said passively, “Rainbow Dash just came with me to . . . umm . . . say a few things to me. I, I didn't even tell her about—”

“OOOOOOOOOOH!” Dash squealed, fawning over a cute, pink, frilly dress hanging on one of the mannequins, “This is sooooooo adorable! I so need something like this for our trips to the Crystal Empire! Could you resize it a little for me, Rarity? Maybe add a few ruffles to the skirt? Ooh, and a big pink bow right on the butt! Oooh, I could help you make it at least 20 percent cuter!”

Rarity was dumbstruck. It helped that Dash had found another garment to go gaga over, for she knew she had to have answers. Slowly, she leaned over to Fluttershy and muttered, “What did Discord do to her?”

“I thought the same thing,” Fluttershy mumbled back, “But, Discord's in Canterlot, doing community service for Princess Celestia. He's been gone for three days.”

* * *

“Yay! A wonderful little get-together with my bestest friends in the whole wide world! So, what are we celebrating, my sweet, lovely friends?”

The group had reunited in Twilight's library, waiting only for their sixth friend to arrive. Applejack guarded the door, Fluttershy and Rarity stood on either side of Dash, and Twilight stood in front of her, almost as though she were interrogating Dash.

“This isn't a celebration, Rainbow Dash,” Twilight told her, “This is an intervention. We need to figure out why you are behaving so strangely.”

“Why, whatever do you mean, Twilight?” Dash smiled, “Is it really that strange to be fun, friendly, and helpful?”

“It is fer you!” Applejack interjected from the door, “You're a nice pony, sugarcube, don't get us wrong. But this is way too much, 'specially for you!”

“Absolutely!” Rarity agreed, “You aren't nearly this sickly saccharine any other day! You consistently compliment us for no reason, you apologize for every single little thing you've ever done wrong, and you just . . . well . . . you just aren't the same tough-as-nails pony we all know.”

Dash looked back at her friends, looking as though she wanted to cry. “But . . . why?” she asked, her voice breaking slightly, “Why do you want me to be that way? I was mean and selfish. I was childish and immature. I was so unkind and self-centered and egotistical and pushy and obnoxious and rude. Why would you want me to be that way? Don't you like me better when I'm sweet and selfless and encouraging and gentle and unobtrusive and nice?”

There was a pause in which Dash's friends glanced at each other. It seemed as though she had pointed out her own flaws very effectively, and had even gone to the trouble of deliberately casting them aside. But they had always agreed to love their friend Rainbow Dash in spite of her flaws, however many and however annoying they were sometimes. It was her strength, character, and loyalty that they respected and admired, and admittedly missed.

Which was better? Decent-yet-annoying Dash, or disgustingly nice Dash?

There was a knock at the door, and Applejack answered it, “Well, it's about time! Pinkie Pie, we've been waitin' for ya—” she cut herself off when she saw who was at the door.

It closely resembled Pinkie Pie, but her coat was darker and coarser than usual, and her mane and tail were straight and limp, completely devoid of their distinct puffiness. Her eyes were blank and soulless, and had an even more lackluster feel to them than her sister, Maud's. Then she spoke, and the contrast between old Pinkie and new Pinkie was even sharper:

“Life is pain. Cruel, unending pain. There's no way out of the torture of your pitiful, meaningless existences. Agony and misery will infect your sad, deluded souls for all eternity.”

Author's Note:

Okay, consider this whole story as one big joke. But I just saw one dislike too many, and an idea was born.

Sorry. :pinkiecrazy:

Comments ( 66 )

Wait, What!?:rainbowhuh:

pfft :rainbowlaugh: This is awesome

CCC
CCC #3 · Nov 1st, 2014 · · ·

...interesting ending. So Dash took Pinkie's cheerfulness, it seems.

OOC-ness is infectious, I see

Ooh, and a big pink bow right on the butt! :rainbowlaugh:

Something seems wrong with Rainbow Dash. She's acting nice, caring, considerate, loving, helpful, bubbly and sweet.

For some reason I instantly think of this.

Aww, your first dislike! You've officially made it, "RD OOC". I'm so proud of you!! :yay:

5213456 If I'm being honest, it was a last-minute decision. I'm so glad it worked out. :pinkiecrazy:

5218347 Me too, I mean, G3 RD is something like this... I think. :rainbowderp:
Anyways, good story, it made me laugh a little at the beginning and crack up completely at the end.
Oh Pinkamena... you always make me laugh. :pinkiecrazy: :pinkiecrazy:

5311249 I'm glad you enjoyed it. :pinkiehappy:

:rainbowlaugh:
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this story. You, dear author, just wrote a story that made my day. From Rainbow Dash wanting a pink frilly dress to apologizing to Fluttershy to every single thing that she has done... this story was just perfect! :raritystarry:

5433643 I never thought in a million years that this story would be so well-liked . . .

Thanks so much. I'm glad you enjoyed it! :pinkiehappy:

5433710 Yeah, I think that this story belongs in my So Awesome! folder. :rainbowkiss: Also, at the end, are you considering writing a sequel featuring the extremely gloomy Pinkie Pie? I'm really curious on what's going to happen next. :pinkiehappy:

5433715 If I'm being honest, I never really expected to continue this story. It's basically a trollfic. :trollestia:

But now that I know so many people love it so much, I might make one or two more. Maybe . . . :pinkiecrazy:

I love it!

Rainbow is both hilarious and downright adorable in this. Have a like and fav. :rainbowkiss:

5474651 Thank you kindly! :pinkiehappy: And in exchange, have a follow!

5474730 and you too! :heart:

That was great, Ultra happy sweet Dash would become pretty annoying very quickly.
She kind of reminds me of Rainbow Dash from Gen 3 lmao :rainbowlaugh:

5541195 I have been told that. :pinkiehappy:

Hi there! Just wanted to say I thought this was hilarious and wanted to ask if I could read this for my next "let's read" on my youtube channel. Credit and story will be linked back to you of course.

5542453 Wow, really? :raritystarry: I'm flattered. Absolutely! Go for it! :pinkiehappy:

I loved the scene with cheery, bright, and happy Rainbow Dash so much. The scenes were hilarious and forced me to recover whenever I laughed really hard, especially when RD wanted a dress to be 20% cuter instead of 20% cooler. :rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh::rainbowlaugh:

5546649 I'm glad you enjoyed it! And thanks for the fave! :pinkiehappy:

Uh oh. Considering the way Rainbow was behaving and the way Pinkie was, I think i know where Rainbow got her (Cough) "cheerfulness' from.

5570208 Hmmm . . . . . you might just be on to something, there . . . . :pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy::pinkiecrazy:

You made this. You should be proud that you did.

5696140 Hardly. It's basically a trollfic. :trollestia:

But thanks for reading anyway. :raritywink:

Finished reviewing the story for the goodfic bin. I'm afraid since in my opinion, most of the jokes fell rather flat, I'm not really able to overlook the lack of actual story, and will be rejecting this from the submissions folder.

Decision is here.

5759937 It's all right, I understand. That's been happening a lot lately. :ajsleepy:

Why were people complaining about The Gentle Dark?

5786758 Not sure if you've read it, but . . .

In the beginning of the first chapter, Dash basically coerces Fluttershy into entering Everfree Forest to help her assert herself. People said that the way she did it was "out of character" for her, even though I found it pretty accurate. So I wrote this trolly trollfic to make her nicer. :trollestia:

DISCORD WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?!?!?!:flutterrage:

5992385 Makes sense that it would be him . . . . .

“But, Discord's in Canterlot, doing community service for Princess Celestia. He's been gone for three days.”

So, not him. :trollestia:

5992490 I still bet you it was him.

5992495 It's a conspiracy, man . . . . :pinkiegasp:

5992515 I bet it is, but I'm still sticking my guns towards Discord.

I love the part where rainbows just like, Don't you like the new me? And everyone's just like .....

5993910 Glad you liked it. Thanks for reading! :pinkiehappy:

5541195

More like G3.5, if I must say.

Literally after reading the first part I was like,

"She's no longer egotistical!"

I got down on my knees and said, "OH THANK YOU, um... LIGHTNINGSWORD GOD!" And bowed down.

This story would be a dream come true if it became canon.

6463735 LoL, I do love answering the "what-ifs". :rainbowlaugh: Thanks for reading, and for the fave!

6464065
It's my pleasure! I like writing stories kinda based around real life situations I've been put in, like my BSPTP Shipfic, I made it after going to a theme park. But most other fics? Random ideas that come to me.

6530764 I don't really have an explanation for it. :twilightsheepish: This was written after I'd gotten complaints about how I wrote Dash in another story. This is basically a trollfic that says, "There. Better?"

Thanks for the fave! :twilightsmile:

Let me say this now: this is not a bad idea for a story, ok? The idea of having a character be purposefully OOC and having the others react to it is actually not a bad idea for a comedy, and I think this could've been something fantastic. Unfortunately... I felt that it fell painfully flat. Why? Well, there's a couple of reasons.

First off, I didn't feel the comedy was very strong. A majority of these jokes had little to no build up, and as a result, next to none of the jokes made me laugh.

Second, the apologizing scene. The other scenes were... okay, I guess, but the apologizing scene with Fluttershy really rubbed me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, RD has done some terrible things to Fluttershy in the show's canon (Dragonshy, Trade ya, Crystal Empire, etc.). My problem with it is that some of the things that she's apologizing for don't make any sense, or worse, feel completely incorrect.

Let's start with the Gilda apology. Why is she apologizing for that? Rainbow had no idea that Gilda would do that, she wasn't anywhere near Gilda when it happened, she never encouraged Gilda to do that, and the second she learned about it, she ended up siding with her friends against Gilda. How is what Gilda did Rainbow's fault? The only thing I can think of is that she's apologizing for not keeping Gilda on a tight enough leash. However, if that's the case, then by that same logic, she'd also be apologizing for the events of Too Many Pinkie Pies because she didn't stop Pinkie from cloning herself. It just didn't make sense. But that's small potatoes compared to this scene:

“And the time I practically forced you to train to help with that tornado just so I could beat some silly record? I'm really sorry! Gosh, that was so selfish of me!

:facehoof: She wasn't making her do it just to get a medal, she was making her do it because it was a civic duty. Her primary goal in that episode was to make sure that Ponyville had enough wing power to get the water to Cloudsdale so they could have weather. If they failed, then not only would hundreds of Pegasi be out of a job, but Equestria would have no way to change seasons, no clouds, and no rain, which would make growing crops a nightmare, and could potentially result in famine for the entire nation. Fluttershy was trying to weasel out of her civic duty. Rainbow wasn't forcing her to do it for her own gain in that episode, she was forcing her to do it so that if a disaster caused a number of Ponyville's best fliers to be absent (like what happened in the episode), they'd still be able to get the job done. In this case, you're having Rainbow apologize for doing the right thing!

Finally, my biggest problem is the portrayal of the OOC Rainbow Dash. A good OOC portrayal of a character would show both the positives and the negatives of the character completely reversed. This story, on the other hand, focused almost exclusively on the negative traits that no longer exist in RD, which unfortunately soured it for me, as it made it sound like the only traits the old Rainbow Dash had were negative ones. I'm not about to say that the old RD is perfect (She's not. Far from it), but the way it was described painted the old RD as a complete a-hole with zero things redeemable about her (in all honesty, because of this, it made it feel more like Sombra OOC than Rainbow Dash OOC). If this portrayal showed a positive trait she had flipped on it's head for more than one moment near the end, I feel it would've made for a much stronger portrayal that wouldn't have left me as disappointed as this one did. As it is though, it honestly felt like your disdain for RD got in the way of making something truly special.

However, I will give you some credit: the joke at the end was really well done. The build up for the ending was solidly performed, and I found it to be quite funny. If the rest of the story was like that, then this could've been a pretty entertaining story. As it is though... it didn't hit any of the right notes.

That's why I didn't like it. The entire thing is basically one joke: Rainbow Dash is now the exact opposite of what she was. Problem is, the way it's described paints the old her as the worst thing ever. I suppose if one dislikes the character of RD, then this would probably do it for them, but for me, it really failed to impress.

I'm sorry if I sounded harsh. I've just wanted to get my opinions out on this story for quite a while. Good luck in your future writings.
Cheers :pinkiesmile:
Charles Spratt

6621668 I never understood why comedy fics are taken so seriously. It's a comedy. There's basically no point to it but to be funny. Maybe it's not the best story in the world, but there's no need to scrutinize it as if it's up for a Pulitzer. :applejackunsure:

I wrote this as a response to trolls who told me I messed up Rainbow Dash's character in "The Gentle Dark". This was basically me saying "There. Better, now?" That's where the humor lies. Yes, it's really specifically for my enjoyment, but I didn't even really put that much effort into it. It's just there to be there. No big deal.

6621668 Besides, I remember Dash calling for every Pegasus in town to do it, and Fluttershy wasn't even required. All they needed was enough fliers to get the water from Point A to Point B. They didn't need every flier. Therefore, they didn't need Fluttershy. But Dash wanted to break some stupid record, and she tried to force Fluttershy to do something she wasn't comfortable with, and certainly wasn't required to do (until later, when Pegasi started getting sick). Fluttershy wasn't trying to weasel out of anything. She didn't want to be humiliated unnecessarily just to satisfy her friend's unquenchable ego.

So, yes, Dash's fault in this case.

6622373

I never understood why comedy fics are taken so seriously.

Honestly, the only reason I take them seriously is for the same reason I take any fic seriously: It's because I'm really passionate about this hobby.

There's basically no point to it but to be funny.

True. The problem was, I personally didn't find this story funny. And when a comedy doesn't make me laugh, then it's issues start jumping out.

Yes, it's really specifically for my enjoyment, but I didn't even really put that much effort into it. It's just there to be there. No big deal.

Indeed. It's not a big deal. It's just me stating a discerning opinion. As long as you enjoyed it, that's really all that matters. Don't let me stop you from enjoying your work.

6622425

Besides, I remember Dash calling for every Pegasus in town to do it, and Fluttershy wasn't even required. All they needed was enough fliers to get the water from Point A to Point B. They didn't need every flier. Therefore, they didn't need Fluttershy.

I look at it in the same way as a team for, say, the Olympics training more individuals than will be participating in the actual events: it's so in the case of injury or illness, they'll still be able to complete the goal regardless. If they only trained the ponies they needed to get the job done, then they'd be screwed if one of them got sick or injured. Sure, they could theorectically grab some of the less trained Pegasi as replacements, but those Pegasi would be much weaker as a result, which could result in them not having the necessary wingpower to get the tornado up. By training everypony, they'd be able to get the job done even if some of their better fliers got ill.

6622952 Even so, Dash knows how sensitive Fluttershy is. She has no excuse for coercing her into doing something she didn't feel comfortable doing. And I know you'll probably say "Well, she needs to get out of her comfort zone every once in awhile". When your friend needs to get to the bottom of a staircase, and the lights are out and he can't see, do you guide him down one step at a time, or do you kick him down the stairs and tell him to walk it off? Dash kicked Fluttershy down the stairs, and she had no right. Hurricane or no hurricane, you train ponies when they're ready. Not before.

Fortunately for Dash, Fluttershy was able to recognize her flaws on her own and train herself. Her way, and on her terms. And it is because of that determination towards self-improvement that makes Fluttershy my favorite character, and it makes "Hurricane Fluttershy" one of my favorite episodes.

Login or register to comment