• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 3,086 Views, 63 Comments

The Last Days of Parrsboro - Eakin



An unusual earthquake may be the end for a little coastal town, and the start of something new for the world beyond

  • ...
11
 63
 3,086

1/5/2012

1/5/2012

I should never have come here.

It was supposed to be fun. Come see the little town that inspired the show, maybe do some snowshoeing or something. Not this.

Started out fine, checked into the same bed and breakfast she stayed in while she wrote the pilot. Even got the same room. So with ponies on the brain, it’s no surprise I dreamed about them, right? Wasn’t the first time.

Not like this though. This was too real to be a dream even though I know it was a dream because things like this don’t happen except in dreams but this wasn’t a dream. Luna was just sitting there and smiling and letting me stroke her mane, and she whispered. I just stared into the window to the inky abyss of space and let her whisper to me. I could reach out and touch the very stars she was talking about, telling me all about which ones were coming into alignment just right. But there’s so much she needs me to do first. So much to do but they’re things I don’t want to do. And I tried to look up at her and tell her that I won’t do such awful things, but when I met her eyes I just couldn’t. She had this patient smile but the eyes were just so hollow and lifeless. Like a paper doll glued to a popsicle stick distracting a child while the real grown ups told them what they should do in this falsetto, pleasing voice to make the message more palatable. I don’t know how long I stared, or how long I let her whisper, but I woke up and... I wasn’t in my room anymore. It was sundown and I was in the middle of the woods freezing my ass off. I don’t know how I got there. I don’t know how I found my way back. I only hope I drank enough that the dreams won’t come again tonight. I need to just pass out and wake up tomorrow and start driving. I don’t care how much the changeover fee is, I’m going to be on the next flight out.

Writing this helps me focus, helps me stay awake, but I can feel exhaustion creeping up on me. Exhaustion and something else. Those whispers are already beginning to come back, even though I’m not asleep. Unless I actually am, and I’m imagining all of this. But if I’m not, and you somehow manage to read this letter, get out of Parrsboro. Just get back in your car right now and go. Before it’s