• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 18,890 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Dresden Fillies: Great Power - psychicscubadiver



It was supposed to be a simple vacation. Just a chance to get away from the daily grind, explore a new city, and catch up with an absent friend. But when that friend happens to be Harry Dresden, all bets are off.

  • ...
24
 1,641
 18,890

Chapter Eight

Edited by: SilentCarto
Proofreader: Coandco

Disclaimer: I don’t own The Dresden Files or My Little Pony, that is Jim Butcher and Hasbro respectively. This story takes place between books Eight and Nine in the Dresden Files.


“Dresden!” Twilight barked, her pencil scribbling quickly across the notebook she clutched in her other hand. “Did you know that you can extract electricity from geothermal sources?!” She was staring wide-eyed at one of the more wordy displays on the wall, away from most children. “This diagram suggests that with the proper construction we could turn hot springs and magma flows into natural powerhouses! We’ve barely begun to explore hydroelectric power, but this could open entirely new possibilities!”

“That’s cool and all,” Dash said, pressing buttons on another display, “but I dunno how much you can trust it. This thing is telling me that lightning actually starts from the ground and moves up.” She scoffed at that and shined her knuckles on her shirt. “I’ve generated more than enough thunderbolts at work to prove that’s not true.”

“Huh,” Spike said, looking at a mural of Benjamin Franklin. “Kite-flying is fun, but somebody should really tell him that a thunderstorm isn’t the best place for it.”

“Well now, ain’t this neat?” Applejack had found a display that told kids to ‘turn the wheel to make the bulb glow’. She was spinning it fast enough to make the bulb pulse and shudder with brightness, and she didn’t appear to have even broken a sweat doing it.

I glanced over at Will, and he got the message. “Culture shock or not, I didn’t figure you were being serious when you called this babysitting,” he complained, but hurried over to her anyway.

It was a tough time keeping everyone on track with just the two of us, but I imagine Georgia was having an interesting enough time of her own. She was riding herd on Rarity and Fluttershy next door at the Crystal Gardens while Will and I managed the rest at the Children’s Museum. Rarity had flatly refused to visit a museum for children, but her shifty expression left me wondering what kind of mischief she could be planning for a garden. Fluttershy’s reaction had been even stranger. She had looked downcast, murmured something about keeping Rarity company, and then even quieter, added something like, ‘the children are too adorable to chance it’. I don’t know if giving the other five the run of the place was a good idea or not, but I will say that it was entertaining.

While Will made sure the others didn’t break anything, I stepped over to “Electric Animals!” where Pinkie had somehow acquired a group of children and was deeply involved in a philosophical debate with one little boy.

“Did not!”

“Did to!”

“Did not!”

“I did to see an eel this big!” Pinkie said stretching her arms out. “It wasn’t an electric eel like that one in the picture. It was a quarry eel, and they’re huge.”

“You made that up!” a girl with twin pigtails declared, pointing at Pinkie.

Pinkie gasped and stuck out her tongue. “Did not!”

“Did to!”

An old lady, the guardian of some kid from what I could tell, came over and patted me on the arm. “It’s nice to see that they let the special people out and about these days. You keep a good eye on them, young man.”

On one hand I wanted to defend my friends and tell her she was wrong. On the other hand…

“Electricity makes yer heart run? Now, that’s just silly!”

“Thank you, ma’am. I will,” I told her. We had just about explored all of the ‘Amazing Electricity!’ exhibit, so I signaled Will to start herding the group on to the next one.

I was trying to keep my distance from the exhibits, given my effects on technology. It was surprising that Twilight hadn’t caused any outages just yet, but then, she was so busy writing that she hadn’t really gotten ‘hands-on’ with anything.

Despite all the chaos, I was having fun.

It surprised me to realize that, but Spike and the girls had an energy and simple joy for life that was infectious. When we had first arrived at Navy Pier I had been on guard, still looking over my shoulder and waiting for the other shoe to drop at any moment. But that wasn’t easy to keep up when they were having such a great time.

Spike and the girls had loved the Ferris wheel and fairground rides. Pinkie had spooked everyone in the mirror maze, by appearing here, there and everywhere, including one point where Will swore that she stepped out of an actual mirror. Lunch had been nice, for a vegetarian restaurant. They knew better than to put bean sprouts on a pizza, at least.

I wasn’t exactly ignoring my instincts while we in the museum, but I had relaxed just a bit.

As we moved to the ‘Wonderful World of Ants’, I noticed Twilight was lagging behind, her expression nervous.

“Hey what’s wrong? Bugs creep you out?”

Twilight shook her head. She fell into step with me, but we were still a fair distance from the rest.

“No. As interesting as it might be to see the differences in ants between our worlds, I’ve got something more important on my mind. I was hoping we could have a talk…”

I took another look at her and realized that the nervous expression was less fear and more of an awkward anxiety.

Hoo boy.

Back when I last visited her world, she’d turned me into a unicorn to better blend in with the pony populace. Apparently, I had been a choice piece of beefcake as a unicorn for God-only-knows what reason, and she along with most of the other mares in Ponyville had crushed on me hard. I hadn’t seen much of that since she come to Earth, and I had hoped that between the time gap and me no longer looking like her dream boy, that Twilight had gotten over it.

If I was reading the situation correctly, that was not the case.

I suppressed a sigh and waved Will to go ahead. She deserved to be heard out; I owed her at least that much. The last thing I wanted was to hurt her, which is why I had to turn her down. I just hoped I wouldn’t need to dump a pitcher of ice water on her head, like I’d done to Molly.

“Thank you,” Twilight said once the group was out of earshot. Pinkie and Spike seemed unaware that we had left them behind. Rainbow looked like she was about to speak up when Applejack put a quick hand over her mouth and dragged her into the exhibit, giving Twilight a simple nod and supportive smile.

I steered us to a bench in a quiet hallway that ended in an emergency exit and sat down, waiting for Twilight to speak. She had a couple of false starts, but eventually said. “There’s something I need to tell you, Dresden.”

“I figured that when you said you wanted to talk.” I should have resisted, but be a wiseass for too long and it becomes a serious habit.

Twilight blinked at that for a moment, then laughed, some of the tension draining out of her. “I suppose I deserved that. It’s just not something that’s easy to say.”

I was about to tell her – gently – to just say it when the screaming began somewhere outside.

There are a lot of different kinds of screams.

Screams of anger, joy, surprise, pain, frustration, and many others. Go to a scary movie or haunted house and you’ll hear screams that mix terror and amusement. For an awful, alarming sound there is a lot of nuance to screaming.

These screams were from people terrified for their lives.

I leapt to my feet and Twilight was only half-a-second behind me. I glanced briefly back into the museum, but there wasn’t any disturbance further inside the building. Most people didn’t even seem to have heard the screams. Whatever the action was, it was coming from outside. Still, I wouldn’t be surprised if the noise outside was just a distraction while someone or something tried a quiet snatch-and-grab on the girls inside the museum.

“Go grab your friends and make sure they’re okay,” I told Twilight, already up and quickly walking, not running, toward the emergency door. I didn’t know what was out there, and I’d eventually figured out that charging into something at a dead run was a good way to get, well, dead.

“And let you go out there alone?” Twilight retorted. “Not a chance.” Her hands flew down to her notebook again as she followed me. She quickly scrawled a note and it vanished in a puff of lavender fire tinged with green. “Spike can collect the rest of the girls.”

I tried not to scowl, but from the way her jaw set in stubborn determination, I wasn’t successful. “Okay, fine. Rules of engagement are simple: keep the magic subtle unless our lives are in danger. A convenient gust of wind is a lot easier to explain than a fireball.” I’d been known to play fast and loose with that rule and use some pretty obvious magic, but never with as many witnesses as we were likely to have here. It wasn’t peak tourist season, but it was a nice day and there were plenty of people at the Pier.

“Got it,” Twilight said, her expression serious. I hexed the door alarm and hit the crash bar.

We burst out of the museum and into the bright sunlight. Nobody was screaming bloody murder anymore, but there was plenty of yelling and cussing coming from the landward end of the pier.

The disturbance was on the patio outside a restaurant with a big smiling shrimp on the sign. One of the few perks to being the better part of seven feet tall was that I could easily see over the crowd surrounding two overturned tables and a scattering of spilled shrimp and fries. Three people were down already, moving weakly or not at all. In the center of the chaos was a woman that looked like she’d spent most of her food money on meth for the past few months. She was gaunt and dressed in ragged, stained clothing without any shoes. Her skin was a sickly pale and her wild red hair looked brittle and greasy. And she was holding a fourth man by the throat, forcing him to his knees and shaking a photograph in front of him. I started pushing my way through the crowd and heard a few of them speculating that she was hopped up on PCP or cocaine, but I didn’t buy that for a second. Adrenaline and drugs can bring out some insane moments of strength, but she was 5’4 tops and looked to weigh a hundred pounds soaking wet. She flat out didn’t have the mass to toss people around like this, and that meant she walked on the spooky side of the street.

Several people were already on their phones calling the police, and few with fancier phones were recording her. One guy was yelling at her to drop his friend, and a couple more were chiming in, trying to resolve this with words. The woman in the center was ignoring them.

Just before I could break through the ring of people, the guy yelling at the fake junkie finally charged. She paid him little attention even as he wrapped an arm around her throat and tried pulling her off his buddy. Without releasing her grip on the other man’s throat, she bent her head down and took a bite out of the guy’s arm.

I don’t mean she bit him the way most people would when struggling. I mean her teeth went through his skin and muscle like it was a ripe peach. When he screamed and scrabbled away from her, there was a bite-sized chunk of his arm missing. The crowd screamed again and backed off further, which made them miss what I saw all too clearly. The fake junkie didn’t spit out the piece she’d bitten off him. She swallowed it.

“Now,” she said to the man she still had by the throat. “Tell me where the man in this picture is or I’ll start taking pieces out of you as well.”

“I think I can help you with that.”

She turned her head at my voice and ran straight into my punch.

Newton had a pretty good grasp on physics. I might be thin, but I’m tall, so I pack a good deal of mass. I had the drop on her so I had been able to put my whole body into the punch and give it some serious acceleration. All that meant I had a good amount of force behind the blow and given her appearance of slight mass it didn’t matter how strong she was, that punch should have done quite a number on her.

Unfortunately, appearances can be deceiving.

The moment my fist made contact with her I discovered that in addition to super-strength, she had way too much mass for such a small body. She wasn’t a waif by any means. She wasn’t even dense like a bear or a horse. She was dense like a boulder. There was a split second where her head continued to turn despite my punch and I got a look at her disturbingly reptilian eyes.

Then I flipped Newton the finger and triggered one of my rings.

Higher mass or not, my force rings pack more wallop than a major league batter and her whole body went sideways, letting go of her victim in the process. Twilight, slightly behind me, grabbed him and started to pull him to safety as Miss Dense skittered a few feet away to better assess me.

I had been really hoping that surprise hit would put her down, but it didn’t shock me that she was still up. At least I’d proven myself to be the biggest threat. If her actions earlier were any indication, she should focus solely on me.

“You,” she said with a start of recognition.

“Are very handsome?” I asked, squaring up to fight. The crowd was still around us and if possible, I wanted to disguise my magic as a fist fight. Not like fireballs or windstorms would be a good idea with this many bystanders around anyway.

Miss Dense’s expression darkened. “Make your peace with whatever gods you worship, ape.” Her voice was husky and ancient-sounding. Like an eighty year old that only stopped smoking three packs a day a few weeks ago. Then she gathered herself and darted in faster than I would have expected from something that heavy, cracking the bricks underfoot. I summoned my shield with a quiet word, trying to make it as colorless and clear as possible. I leaned my shoulder into it make it appear that I was simply taking the blow there.

I almost did.

Her fist shot out and slammed into my shield, making my shoes slide a few inches back. I almost lost my footing, but I hung on. I replied with a punch to the stomach that included another triggered ring. It turned out that she could take a body blow a little better than a shot to the head, because she stayed up and took a swing of her own.

I worked to get the shield back up quickly, but Twilight had me covered. A slight purple glow, barely perceptible in the afternoon sun, caught her fist and pulled it to the side, making it look like Miss Dense had swung wide and just missed me.

The woman growled, sounding more like a predatory cat than a person, and her attention immediately went to the tall girl at the edge of the crowd. Twilight’s hands had a similar glow, but my dance partner had figured out where the magic was coming from a little too quickly to have detected it just by sight.

Whatever this thing was, she hit like a truck, and I didn’t want her getting anywhere near Twilight. I went to give Miss Dense a solid uppercut, but she was learning to respect me a bit more as a threat. She leaned backwards out of range, until another purple glow violently forced her head forward. I connected solidly and triggered another ring. Some buried part of my youth, from back when I didn’t have enough magic to short out arcade machines, surged forth.

“DRAGON PUNCH!”

The punch did briefly send her airborne, but as she went Miss Dense struck out with a kick to my chest. She didn’t have the proper leverage or form. Despite what movies and video games will tell you, midair is no place for a successful kick. And yet it still packed enough force to send me flying backwards and knock me on my ass.

Miss Dense landed, bloodlust in her expression. Another purple glow grabbed her right foot just as she was coming down and swept it backwards, but she rolled with it. Miss Dense caught herself on her hands, in a way that by all rights should have broken her wrists given all the weight she was putting on them, and skittered forward. She moved quickly and easily with an insectile grace.

I scooted backwards, still on my ass, in a dignified and manly fashion, trying to get my feet under me. I had no intention to get in a wrestling match with this thing, as I had no doubt it would take me apart.

“Incoming!”

Miss Dense may have been able to catch her own weight on all fours, but it was something else to deal with someone landing with their full body weight on the small of your back. Rainbow smashed her to the ground and hopped quickly off before the retaliatory swipe could catch her.

“Hey Dresden,” Rainbow said, grinning breezily. “Everyone else is on the way, but I rushed over. What’re we fighting?”

I got back up and eyed Miss Dense warily. “I don’t know, but she hits hard and takes punishment like nothing else. Don’t let her catch you.”

“Catch me?” Rainbow said, sounding incredibly insulted. “Just who the hay do you think I am?”

With that she darted forward landing a couple swift jabs on Miss Dense’s face. They may as well have been love taps for all she noticed. She swiped at Rainbow, but the girl dodged easily. Then, she went for a move she must have learned from Murphy, ducking in under the attack, grabbing the arm and attempting to flip the woman over using her own momentum. Against most opponents, even some huge guys, it would’ve worked great. Against something as small and heavy as Miss Dense, not so much so.

Which left Rainbow within easy range for a hold that even she wasn’t fast enough to get away from. Miss Dense recognized that and the arm Rainbow held moved to pin her. But Miss Dense had forgotten about me. She was just barely too far for my fist to reach, but I don’t actually have to touch something to trigger my force rings, as she was about to find out.

Or not, because as I lunged she shifted Rainbow directly into the line of fire and I had to pull the punch quickly. I could see Miss Dense grin as her grip on Rainbow tightened and she opened her mouth, no doubt about to bite into Rainbow’s neck or shoulder like she had that luckless guy at the start of the fight. Then, surprisingly, she paused and took a deep sniff of Rainbow.

Once again a strange emotion flickered across her face: recognition. She looked like she was about to speak when a three foot length of rebar slammed into the side of her head and sent her sprawling.

“Strange to see you here, Harry,” said Michael Carpenter, wielding a section of steel rebar like it was a sword. “Although, the circumstances are familiar.”

“No sword?” I asked. Michael was a Knight of Cross, and he owned an actual Holy Sword that kicked some serious ass when it came to the darker side of the supernatural.

Miss Dense was on her feet again, but suddenly she was having a hard time keeping them as one purple glow after another took them out from under her. I heard a growl behind me and realized that Twilight was done playing around after how close Rainbow had come to being hurt.

Michael grimaced, noticing the way his rebar had slightly bent after hitting Miss Dense. “I’m afraid not. I’m on a job. We’re renovating one of the shops here, but after I heard the fracas I had to investigate.” Yes, Michael could not only use the word ‘fracas’ to describe fighting the powers of darkness, but say it with a straight face too.

And, of course, this was just one more in a disturbingly long line of ‘coincidences’ that put Michael exactly where he needed to be at just the right time.

Miss Dense attempted to fix Twilight’s assault by stomping her foot down to plant it beyond Twilight’s ability to interfere. Instead, the bricks underneath flashed purple and Miss Dense easily drove her foot down through them, trapping one of her legs.

Never one to let an unfair advantage go, I moved in with Rainbow and Michael at either elbow. We surrounded Miss Dense and all took shots at her. She couldn’t focus on any of us and none of us made the mistake of staying inside her reach for more than a second. After about twenty seconds of that, the crowd’s mood started to turn against us. I’ll admit it sure as hell didn’t look like a fair fight, but whatever Miss Dense was, she wouldn’t go down. I’ve seen ghouls that could take less damage than her, and they’re about as difficult to kill as a cockroach.

Whatever we were doing it must have gotten through at least a little, because Miss Dense stopped swiping at us for a second and with a grunt of effort wrenched her foot out of the ground. Twilight once again used a little telekinesis to make her other foot slip, but she went to all fours without hesitation and started hauling ass northward. The crowd parted for her with another scream, and Miss Dense was out of there like a shot.

I followed at a run, but I might not have been as fast as could have. I practice running for situations like this, or more usually, for situations where I’m the one getting chased. But combat is cardio intensive, and whatever she was, Miss Dense had energy to spare.

Rainbow was fresh and she looked like she was only keeping pace with me so I didn’t get left behind. I heard the wail of ambulance and police sirens as we went, which was probably what had scared off Miss Dense. Monsters might mock human authority, but when people showed up with guns and the ability to call for even more people with guns, most of them split.

Although, I’d like to think that having her hands full with the four of us had been a deciding factor too.

Miss Dense hit Grand Ave and made a sharp right, heading further out onto the Pier. I had been expecting her to cross the park that borders Navy Pier and head for the city, or maybe even jump straight into the lake. Instead she skittered down the road that separated the Pier and the lake, faster on all fours than I was on two feet, opening the distance between us. A block or two further and she reached the parking garage underneath the Pier.

Miss Dense charged in without hesitation, but I threw out a hand to stop Rainbow. The garage was dark and full of angles that broke line of sight. If Miss Dense wasn’t truly out of the fight this would be a good spot to ambush us. I pulled out my slightly-less-than-legal concealed .44 and nodded to Rainbow. She got the message, and we advanced quickly, but cautiously.

After ten minutes of sweeping the top three levels it turned out that all my caution had been wasted. Miss Dense had wrenched the grate off three foot wide storm drain and I could still hear her shimmying her way through it in the distance.

We stared at it for a moment. “Y’know,” Rainbow said thoughtfully, staring at the tunnel. “I bet I’m thin enough to get through there.”

I shook my head. “Doesn’t matter if you could, since I can’t, and there no way any of us could take her alone in tight quarters.”

Rainbow bristled at that, but she took a deep breath and nodded. “Yeah, but I don’t have to like it. We had her!”

I wasn’t so sure that was completely the case. Miss Dense had looked no worse for the wear despite the beating we had given her. But before I could say anything to that effect a distant voice echoed down the tunnel to us.

“- you, kill you, kill you, wizard. Make you suffer. Eat you slowly.”

It more than a little chilling, because I had no doubt that Miss Dense could make good on that threat given the chance. But one of best ways I had to deal with fear was to stand up and kick it right in the balls. So I aimed as straight down the dark tunnel as I could and unloaded all six rounds.

There was a scream of pain and rage, though mostly rage if I judged it right, and the voice died off.

Rainbow and I backed off, but kept our eyes on the storm drain in case Miss Dense was angry enough to poke her head back out. After a minute of silence I figured she was gone for now. Either in the regular sewers or straight into Undertown, the twisting maze of passages underneath the city.

“Crazy,” Rainbow said, shaking her head. “So what did she want?”

“I have no idea,” I told her truthfully. I gave the culvert one last look as we started to drift back towards Navy Pier. “But I expect we’ll all find out one way or the other.”