• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 18,901 Views, 1,641 Comments

The Dresden Fillies: Great Power - psychicscubadiver



It was supposed to be a simple vacation. Just a chance to get away from the daily grind, explore a new city, and catch up with an absent friend. But when that friend happens to be Harry Dresden, all bets are off.

  • ...
24
 1,641
 18,901

Chapter Nine

Edited by: SilentCarto
Proofreader: Coandco

Disclaimer: I don’t own The Dresden Files or My Little Pony, that is Jim Butcher and Hasbro respectively. This story takes place between books eight and nine in the Dresden Files and seasons two and three in MLP.


Rarity had not entirely lied to her friends. Visiting a botanical garden truly did sound far more interesting than going to a children’s museum, but neither had she told the whole truth. The Crystal Gardens were beautiful, if somewhat misnamed, as they were enclosed by glass and featured no statues or ornaments of crystal. She was certainly enjoying her walk among the exotic trees and shrubs. However, a faint sense of guilt stained her appreciation of them ever-so-slightly.

Rarity took a deep breath, enjoying the myriad scents of the blossoms around her, and calmed herself. What she was doing was right; it was necessary. Even if it involved a small bit of behavior that might be… less than ideal for a lady, for the future of Equestrian fashion she would make that sacrifice.

One way or another, Rarity meant to secure a cutting of a leather tree.

Thus far she had been stymied in all of her efforts. Fluttershy had assisted her in searching the goggle machine, but ‘leather tree’ had only brought up a store of the same name, and Rarity had not wanted to push too hard and tip her hoof. Mister Dresden had been less than no help, as he had actively avoided her questions anytime she asked something as simple as where leather trees typically grew.

Clearly, there was something going on here. Mister Dresden didn’t talk about leather trees. The goggle machine didn’t talk about them. They seemed to be a precious resource that humans feared to lose. Rarity could understand that to a degree, but to constrain such fabulousity to only one world was surely the greater crime.

A gardener glanced at her and Rarity smiled nervously, resisting the urge to tuck the handbag concealing a small pair of pruning shears behind her back. The gardener frowned quizzically, but only for a second before returning to her duties. Rarity let out a breath. She would much rather simply pay for a cutting, or an immature leather tree if one was available, but if the resistance she already had encountered was any indication then she would simply need to take the cutting on her own and anonymously donate an appropriate amount to the gardens after the fact.

However, it appeared that she would not even have the chance. The Crystal Gardens, while beautiful, seemed to contain only a few types of tree and none of them bore leaves at all similar to the luxurious material of Mister Dresden’s coat.

Rarity sighed. What had she expected? Surely a tree so valuable as to deserve all of this secrecy would not be on public display lest everyone take their own cutting, just as she had planned to. Still, she would make a last ditch effort. If nothing else she could confirm that no such tree had been planted here.

“Georgia,” she said, drawing the attention of the tall girl that accompanied them. “Forgive me if I’m trespassing on some hu- local custom, but is there a leather tree in this garden at all?” Dear Fluttershy glanced over at Rarity, her eyes full of comprehension. She was always such an understanding soul. Georgia merely blinked in confusion, as if she had not properly heard.

“A what?”

“A leather tree,” Rarity repeated patiently, careful to keep her voice low.

Georgia’s mild confusion moved into full puzzlement, accompanied by a mild frown. “Like a tree made of leather? That would be more of an art museum piece than something you’d find in a garden. Not that I can think of any art museums with one of those offhand.”

Now it was Rarity’s turn to be confused. “I beg your pardon? I’m referring to a tree that produces leather. Mister Dresden explained it to me when I inquired about his coat.”

“Why would Harry-” Georgia began, then her eyes went wide in realization. Rarity suppressed her annoyance at this reaction as she was still rather thoroughly in the dark. Georgia, however, was kind enough to continue. “Twilight mentioned that you’re herbivores, right? Like, the entire species?”

“We’ll eat animal byproducts like cheese, eggs, and honey,” Fluttershy said. She must have really warmed to Georgia, because her statement was almost audible. “But otherwise, yes. We’re biologically capable of limited omnivorous feeding, but culturally we would never do anything like that and most ponies wouldn’t be psychologically capable of eating meat unless they were starving.”

Both of the other women blinked and took a moment to process that… interesting tidbit of information. Rarity was the first to recover and put a reassuring hand on Georgia’s shoulder. “To give a shorter answer, yes. But why should that matter?”

“Well… you see, Harry may have somewhat, more-or-less… completely lied about where leather comes from.”

“I don’t understand,” Rarity said. “If it doesn’t come from a tree where does it come from? And why would Mister Dresden lie to us about its origins?”

Georgia sighed. “You might want to be sitting down for this.”

………

Rarity very much wanted to be angry with Dresden. To be sure, Georgia and Fluttershy likely suspected that she already was by the set of her shoulders, facial expression, and the less-than-dainty way she had stormed out of the Crystal Gardens towards the Children’s Museum.

If the full truth was to be told, she was piqued at Mister Dresden and fully intended to inform him of that fact once he could be found, but the lion’s share of her anger was reserved for herself. For a pony that prided herself on being attentive to detail, she had ignored a veritable cartload of clues as to the true nature of Dresden’s coat.

His secrecy and the lack of information on the human’s information system was not due to some ill-defined ‘cultural taboo’, but due to the simple fact that he had lied, badly, about the origins of his coat to preserve her goodwill.

Perhaps he had thought it necessary as a stranger in a strange land. However, the memory of Georgia’s expression of pity as she explained the truth was more than enough to maintain Rarity’s head of steam.

She neared the entrance of the museum with Fluttershy softly ‘eeping’ at her hooves in anticipation of what was to come and Georgia struggling to keep up despite her greater stride. The ticket-taker, however seemed much too taken with some disturbance occurring outside, the sounds of which vaguely drifted into the human bazaar. Rarity tried in vain to garner the attention of the young stallion working the booth. She was moments from venting her considerably swollen spleen upon him when a purely Applejackian turn of phrase from the ruckus outdoors caught her ears. Certain ‘country-isms’, as they could be politely described, were the norm when growing up in Ponyville, and yet the Apple family seemed to have its own secret list of phrases used to identify each other that transcended any town, borough, or regional accent.

The ticket-booth human finally seemed to notice her and, based on the small bits of body language consistent between ponies and human, was almost painfully aware of the fact he had been ignoring her not ten seconds ago. “Sorry about that, ma’am, how can I help you?”

“I don’t believe you can, but thank you,” Rarity replied. She had a new heading, and without a glance back, she made her way towards whatever was occurring outside. There was a considerable crowd present, including an ambulance and several of the human police, but Dresden’s height and the colorful girls surrounding him made them relatively easy to pick out. Although her anger had not yet fully abated, Rarity approached at a slower pace than her temper demanded. The presence of the police suggested that something serious had occurred and her concerns would have to wait.

For now.

“I don’t know what you want me to tell you,” Mr. Dresden said to a police officer with a notepad. “I heard screaming, ran to help, and some kind of junkie was assaulting people so I stepped in.”

The police officer, a rather plain-looking tan human with short hair, looked at him with a sour expression. Applejack wore a similar look. Rarity had seen her more comfortable with a burr under her saddle than she acted right now. She had continually glanced at Mister Dresden as he spoke, and almost opened her mouth to speak once or twice, but closed it again. Which led Rarity to suspect that Mr. Dresden was currently bending the truth rather badly.

Georgia stepped towards her husband and Fluttershy, after a glance at Rarity, followed Georgia. Rarity had her suspicions that Fluttershy only felt comfortable around them because she thought of the couple more as the furry forms they had demonstrated earlier in the privacy of the van. But in paying attention to her, Rarity missed some of the exchanges between the officer and Mr. Dresden.

“Uh-huh, and that’s why your friend Mr. Carpenter slammed a length of rebar into her head?” It was technically a question, but the officer made it more a statement of accusation.

A well-built human man with a short brown beard and blue eyes – to whom Rarity had not had the pleasure of an introduction – looked uncomfortable. “I saw her attacking my friend and reacted,” he said. A look of guilt crossed his face. “I did hold back a bit.”

The police man glanced at a long piece of metal on the ground as thick around as Rarity’s thumb. Halfway along the bar it bent at a small angle. “And still bent it?”

“Come on, it must have been a faulty piece,” Mr. Dresden cut it. “Otherwise that kind of force would’ve caved in the girl’s skull, right?” Rarity felt her gorge rise at the mental image that brought forth. The officer didn’t even blink; he just looked doubtful. Mr. Dresden stared back at him. “Believe me, I’ve had my bells rung enough times to know that you don’t just walk off a hit like that.”

Rarity glanced at Applejack. She imagined that asking her what had happened would be akin to opening the floodgates of a rather strained dam, and so instead she made her way over to Twilight and put a gentle hand on her shoulder.

Twilight started in surprise, but smiled as she realized it was Rarity. Rarity smiled in return. “Goodness darling, just what has happened in our absence?”

The smile disappeared. “Something was hurting the people outside so Dresden and I came out to deal with it. It looked like a human woman, but it was stronger and heavier than biologically feasible, and I could feel some serious magic coming from it.”

Rarity put a hand to her chest. “How horrible, but why is the officer so intent upon Mr. Dresden in such a case?”

Twilight winced. “Mostly because it looked like Dresden, Michael, and Rainbow Dash were severely beating a lone woman without mercy. Dresden said we couldn’t tell the officer it was a monster, because it’s unlikely he would believe us.” Rarity could hear a note of frustration in Twilight’s voice at that last bit and she could certainly commiserate.

“So that’s what has Applejack so disconcerted.”

“That,” Twilight agreed, “and the fact that she arrived too late to help with the fight. Rainbow Dash rushed ahead, but the creature was gone by the time everyone else got here.” She frowned. “Although that could be for the best. In all probability her ribs are still cracked from the fight with the ghouls.”

Rarity scowled at the mention of those beastly things. “We have had rather poor luck, haven’t we? Two monster attacks in as many days? At least in Ponyville they have the courtesy to wait a week between bouts of terrorizing the town.”

“Psh, luck,” Rainbow Dash said, waving a hand dismissively. “As if. Dresden’s clearly in the middle of another adventure. Come on; shadowy case he ‘doesn’t want our help with’, two goons try to kidnap his apprentice, another monster shows up where he’s hanging out with his friends? Totally an adventure! It’s like a Daring Do novel mixed with those ‘film nar’ movies you like.”

“Film Noir,” Rarity corrected.

“That’s a reasonable hypothesis,” Twilight said, thinking it over. “But we don’t have any proof that this incident is at all connected to Dresden’s current investigation.”

“Au contaire, ma soeur!” Pinkie said, popping up behind Twilight with no warning. “I have proof positive that it does!”

“Truly, darling?” Rarity asked. “Don’t hesitate to share, then. Oh, and I wasn’t aware that you spoke any Fancy, but I must commend you. Your accent was spot on.”

“Il y a le poisson dans la bibliotheque,” Pinkie said with a smile and a wink. “But, let’s get back on topic. Feast your peepers on this, recovered at the scene of the crime by none other than Master Detective Pinkie.” She whipped a photo out of somewhere in her dress. It was a small polaroid printed on the super glossy picture paper that humans seemed to use. It depicted Mr. Dresden stepping out of the police station with everypony gathered around him. That particular scene could have only be captured two days ago and it chilled Rarity to think that they had been followed and photographed without their knowledge.

It was a small mercy that their stalker had caught her good side.

“So that’s what it was showing to those guys before it knocked them out!” Rainbow exclaimed, thumping a fist into an open palm.

“Quite likely,” Rarity agreed. “I’d say Mr. Dresden is certainly involved in something more risky than he has let on.”

“And for all its power, that creature is unlikely to be the ringleader or even familiar with human society,” Twilight said. Her violet eyes narrowed, and Rarity felt as if she could almost hear the low whir of her friend’s mind working. “It came prepared with a photo, yet wore no shoes and had no idea how to blend into human society, demanding to get its way with violence rather than just search the crowd for us.” She winced slightly. “And we tend to stick out as a group so it couldn’t have been that difficult. And yet it had the correct location, meaning that it was directed here by someone or something that is better able to keep track of us.”

That thought made Rarity start with surprise and she hastily glanced around. There was still a crowd and few humans were noticeably staring at the group, but was that caused by their presence at the crime scene or due to… more sinister reasons? None of the humans looked particularly villainous, but Rarity supposed they would have made a very poor spy if they were, for example, wickedly twirling a waxed mustache.

Rainbow, for a change didn’t appear all that enthused at the prospect. “So, that thing we fought isn’t even the one in charge? Cuz, if I’m being honest? It was tough. Like, seriously tough.”

“Dashie, of course that wasn’t the final boss,” Pinkie said with an exaggerated eye roll. “What kind of story would throw the party against the real big bad only half-way through? She was just the mini-boss, or at best the bad guy’s top lieutenant. He’s gonna have at least twice her HP, and maybe even a second form.”

Rarity blinked at some of her friend’s …interesting terminology, but Twilight didn’t bat an eye. “Not necessarily. The leader of whatever group is coming after Dresden might hold his position because of lineage, appointment by someone higher within a hierarchy, proven skill in commanding, meritorious service, seniority, disc-”

“We get it,” Rainbow Dash said sourly, cutting off Twilight before she could list every possible reason.

Twilight coughed into her hand with a slight flush. “Right, anyway. The point remains that authority does not always equate to fighting prowess. Nonetheless, we need to tell Dresden about the picture and what we’ve gleaned from it and the actions of the attacker.”

“Detective Chapman?” Dresden stated loudly with a slight air of confusion. Rarity turned to look and found that he was talking to a new detective that had replaced the other gentleman at some point in their discussion. “Detective Preston Chapman?”

Detective Chapman had been smiling as he extended a hand, but at Mr. Dresden’s response, his hand fell and his smile withered. His pale skin turned slightly sallow in his apprehension. “Yes, although I’d like to ask how you know me. I don’t remember meeting before.”

Mr. Dresden grunted, then he carefully schooled his scowl into a more neutral expression, eyebrows steady, eyes lidded, and jaw squared, but not tense. “I planned to swing by your precinct later today. I had some questions about a missing person case that you closed.” He paused for a moment. “It’s strange because I thought you were based around the University.”

Some tension breathed out of Detective Chapman and the smile returned. “Oh, well that explains things. I am, but this was big enough that they pulled anyone nearby in on it. Five people attacked at Navy Pier, and two in critical condition? The top brass want a quick response and solution so the city doesn’t look bad. Can’t let the tourism take a hit, am I right? I happened to be in the general area following up on another case.”

The dam broke at last.

“Oh, fer cryin’ out loud!” Applejack exploded, sweeping the hat off her head and waggling a finger at the detective. “Of all the hooey I’ve listened to today that has to be the biggest load of–”

“APPLEJACK!” Mr. Dresden roared, killing the imminent tirade in its tracks. Applejack’s look of fury vanished in an instant, replaced with a wide-mouthed, shocked stare. Mr. Dresden’s violent tone disappeared as swiftly as it had arrived. “I’m sure you weren’t about to insult this fine officer to his face, but even so I’d be grateful if you’d let him speak and listen carefully instead of interrupting him.”

An apple-red flush spread over Applejack’s cheeks, but her fist tightly clenched the edge of her Stetson. She appeared ready to open her mouth again and say something even more inflammatory than what she had intended the first time, when Rarity laid a hand atop her own.

“Dear, clearly we should hear out the fine officer before jumping to any conclusions. I’m certain he has very good reasons for being here and it would be remiss of us to treat him rudely.” Rarity looked her oldest friend in the eye, the only other daughter of Ponyville present, and willed her to understand what Mr. Dresden had been implying.

Yes, Applejack had doubtlessly caught him in a lie, but accusing him of it and provoking a confrontation would do little good. It was far more beneficial to let him talk further and see what else he would lie about. Applejack slowly seemed to grasp that fact, or at least she decided that if two of her friends were suggesting that she keep quiet it must be for a good reason.

It was a mercy to all of Equestrian high society that Applejack had not stayed with her Aunt and Uncle Orange. A mare with a keen ear for the truth and the social training to take full advantage of it? She could have had all of Manehatten under her hoof before she turned fifteen.

Instead, she mumbled “sorry ‘bout that” in a rather unconvincing tone.

Detective Chapman raised an eyebrow at the behavior, but seemed willing to dismiss it. “No harm, no foul. Now, if I could get all of your statements?” They obliged him; largely repeating what Mr. Dresden had already said. Even so, it took some time to get through, time that thankfully allowed Applejack to calm herself.

“So, about that missing person case,” Mr. Dresden said once Spike, the last of them, had given his account. “I was hired by Mr. Belfast to look into his son’s disappearance. He indicated that you had been assigned to the case. I didn’t see any sign at the son’s apartment that he packed up and left, but I wanted to know if you caught anything I missed.”

Detective Chapman frowned. “I didn’t visit the apartment, actually.”

Mr. Dresden’s eyebrows rose in a way that was a touch theatrical. “Really? Did you find a lead somewhere else?”

“Yeah, I investigated the University first and heard from a classmate of his that he had spoken about leaving town for good.” Applejack stiffened at the statement, but she didn’t react further. “His mom’s in California, he’s estranged from his dad, and he wanted out from under the debt. Pretty open-and-shut case.”

Mr. Dresden nodded. “And I imagine you’ve got a desk full of other cases that need your attention. That’s understandable. Do you have the name of the classmate, offhand? I’d like to follow up on that. Either get a trail or at least find something to report to the dad.”

“I don’t recall it off the top of my head,” Detective Chapman said with a frown. “I’ll have to check my case notes and get back to you.” Applejack stiffened again.

“Thanks. I’ve been spinning my wheels trying to find a lead. It’s almost like the poor kid just vanished off the face of the Earth.” Mr. Dresden’s voice was still technically friendly, but there was an angry undercurrent to it. A fierce sort of protectiveness that held the subtlest promise of a threat. “Incidentally, did you find anything about the kid’s job? His dad mentioned it but there’s no record of it that I can find.”

Detective Chapman frowned. “Mr. Belfast mentioned that to me as well, but I never found out any proof of it either. Probably something off the books for someone shady.” To Rarity’s surprise Applejack didn’t react to that in the slightest.

“Okay, thanks. One last thing,” Mr. Dresden said. “Did you come over just because I was involved? Sometimes it feels like the regular cops don’t have all that high of an opinion of me.”

This garnered a laugh from the detective. “No,” Applejack tensed up once more, “It was just a pleasant surprise to find you here. But given all the rumors about you would it be a surprise if I said ‘yes’?”

Mr. Dresden chuckled darkly. “Not really, I guess. Thanks for your time, Detective.”

Detective Chapman shook hands with each of them, although Applejack was clearly having to hold herself back from crushing his hand. Even as it was he winced after she was done and rubbed some feeling back into his hand as he walked away.

“Sorry for yelling at you, Applejack, but accusing him of lying was the last thing we needed. Now when else did he lie? I need all the details.”

Applejack’s frustration drained away and she scratched the back of her head sheepishly. “Aw shucks, that’s what you’n Rarity were on about. I s’pose that does make more sense.” She began to share with Mr. Dresden, but Rarity had already seen her reactions and had a fair idea of what she would say. Instead, she moved to another conversation where Mr. Dresden’s friend appeared to be in dire need.

“So then he turned himself into crackers?” Pinkie asked in confusion.

“Not quite,” the tall, well-built man replied with only the lightest touch of frustration. He was shorter than Mr. Dresden, but still taller than Twilight and a good number of other humans. His work clothing was depressingly utilitarian, but his brown beard was tidily trimmed and blue eyes had many laugh lines around them. “You must und-”

“Well, I hope not!” Pinkie declared. “If I had that kind of power I sure as sugar wouldn’t waste it on crackers. Now brownies, or biscuits, or even biscotti maybe. Any of those would make for a better supper by far!”

“Pinkie, darling, could I impose on you to make introductions?” Rarity asked, hopefully cutting short whatever food rant she was about to embark on.

“Of course! You haven’t even meet yet, have you? Oh, oh! Mr. Carpenter, this is Rarity the fanciest, prettiest, most poised poooooopinjay.” Both Rarity and Mr. Carpenter stared at Pinkie as she gave a rare frown “What? It’s not like there’s a ton of ‘po’ words that I could’ve switched to. Would you have preferred ‘poseur’?” She shook her head rapidly, as if to clear it, and lost the frown. “Anyway, and Rarity this is Mr. Carpenter, Knight of the Cross, slayer of monsters, rescuer of damsels, and Dad of Molly.”

“Charmed,” Rarity said, offering her hand. He bent over it and kissed the back of it like a true gentleman. Age and speaking preferences aside, he seemed to be a human equivalent to Big Mac.

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Rarity. Harry has told me little, but I gather that all of you are from further afield than his typical associates.” His eyes slid to the pink girl at his left – “Some more so than others.” – but it was said with a smile and sense of fondness.

Rarity nodded. “Indeed, and it is a pleasure to meet you as well. How is Molly faring? She seemed terribly shaken by that awful ordeal the other night.”

A flash of righteous anger darted through his eyes and was gone only a moment after Rarity noticed it. It still gave her something of a chill, and she would not wish to be the brute that laid hands upon Mr. Carpenter’s daughter should he ever catch them. “She was upset, but a good night’s sleep did much to fix it and now she’s more embarrassed by her reaction than scared.”

“It was the sucker that helped, wasn’t it?” Pinkie remarked cryptically. Mr. Carpenter blinked at her, but let it slide. He did appear to be getting quite used to her.

“I’m glad to hear that she is recovering, but she shouldn’t feel any shame at her reaction. It’s entirely reasonable given the circumstances. It took some time before I became accustomed to conflict myself.” And if she were to be completely candid, Rarity would admit that she still wasn’t comfortable with it. But she had accepted it as part of bearing an Element. There were things that mattered more than one pony’s preferences.

A sad smile graced Mr. Carpenter’s features. “I told her something similar, but I fear she thinks I’m just trying to console her.” He self-consciously frowned. “Having both a father and mentor experienced in fighting the forces of darkness may have given her unrealistic expectations. If you could say something the next time you meet…”

Rarity gave the dear man one of her more dazzling smiles. “Of course, I would be glad to help your daughter in whatever way I can.”

“Michael! Will!” Mr. Dresden called. “Twilight’s figured out some stuff and I want to move the whole group somewhere a bit more private.”

Oh, yes. And there was that bit of unfinished business.

“Please excuse me,” Rarity said. She spun on her heel and moved unerringly towards Mr. Dresden. He blinked in surprise as she moved towards him well into his personal space without any sign of halting. “Rarity? What-”

Her open palm caught his cheek with enough force to make her hand sting in an unpleasant manner. A decided disadvantage over having hooves, in her opinion.

Mr. Dresden, for all of his wizardly prowess, gaped at her with an open mouth as a red imprint softly spread on the side of his face. “That is for lying to me about the origins of leather,” Rarity declared. “A lecture might have been more lady-like, but time is short and I doubt it could have appropriately conveyed the depth of my pique at being played a fool for so long.”

Silence reigned for a moment among their little group.

“What’s leather?” Spike asked in utter confusion.

“I’ll tell you later,” Georgia muttered, having been drawn to the conversation by Mr. Dresden’s call.

“I suppose I deserved that,” Mr. Dresden said, rubbing at his injured cheek. Then he shook his head and laughed. “Honestly, it’s an improvement over a lecture. Okay, everybody, let’s get moving. Michael, you still on lunch break?”

The large man frowned. “It’s been over for a while, but my crew can continue without me for a time.”

“Groovy,” Mr.Dresden said. He led the group towards the parking garage where the van had been parked. It was away from the crowd and noise, but Rarity tried to keep an eye out to see if they were still being followed. It was not something she had a wealth of experience in, but by her limited reckoning they had not been tailed.

Once they were in the van, Mr. Dresden spoke up. “Okay team, we’ve got news to share. It’s safe to say that Detective Chapman is bought. Somebody not only paid off an investigation, but sent him out here to get the details of the attack. Either he’s on the take for multiple people or the attack is connected to my case.”

“Looking for that guy who’s missing?” Rainbow asked.

“Exactly. I think the second is more likely, but it’s not like we can squeeze the detective for more info. I’ll set somebody else to watch him. Right now I want everybody to fort up in case of another attack. The hotel isn’t safe enough if they’re willing to attack Navy Pier in broad daylight. You girls divvy up between my house and Michael’s.” He paused for a sec. “Uh, assuming that’s okay with you and Charity?”

Mr. Carpenter nodded. “I’d be glad to have them.” He paused and glanced at Pinkie. “But no more sugar for you, young lady, if you wish to return.”

Pinkie stuck out her tongue at him. “Fine! I’ll go to Dresden’s house and watch TV there!”

Spike poked her in the side. “Uh, hate to break it to you, Pinkie, but I can tell you from personal experience that Dresden doesn’t have a TV.”

“GASP!” Pinkie exclaimed. “So I have to choose between my old love of sugar and the novel allure of cartoons? Oh, how could fate be so cruel!”

“Anyway,” Mr. Dresden continued, “while you’re doing that I have some more investigating to do, then I’ll join you.”

“Investigating?” Twilight asked, her tone skeptical. “Alone? Just when you’ve said we need stick together because of the attacks?”

“She’s got a point, Harry,” Will said.

Mr. Dresden scowled. “Thanks, Billy. I’ll take it under advisement.” Then, his eyes darted suddenly to left, as if affixed on something only he could see, and his scowl deepened.

“Be reasonable, Harry,” Georgia said, echoing her husband. She had put a hand on William’s shoulder when he bristled at the ‘Billy’ comment. “The only reason you’re sure about half of that is because Applejack was there to hear the detective talk. Are you really that devoted to a ‘lone wolf’ investigation when she’d be a huge help?”

“I’d be more’n willing to help ya out, Dresden,” Applejack said. “It don’t sit right with me lettin’ them monsters do what they want when I could be helpin’.”

“I just… fine,” Mr. Dresden bit out, like he was swallowing a curse. “In for a penny in for pound. If either one of you newlyweds can spare the time I’d be grateful. We could swing by the kid’s apartment and let you get his scent.”

Will and Georgia traded a look. “I can do that,” Will offered.

“Then, our plans are set,” Rarity said with a flourish. She turned to Georgia. “However, I would be grateful if we could stop at a fabric shop before returning home.” After all, she hadn’t brought any spidersilk thread from Equestria with her, and if things turned ugly, it behooved a lady to be well prepared for action.

And if that preparation should involve a shopping spree, why, that was only a bonus.

………

Ourobouros licked her wounds and pondered upon the scent, as she ate. It was eerily familiar and yet she could not place it. The constant distraction from the yammering of the False-man did not help.

“Nothing! Not so much as bruise on the damned wizard for all your flailing around and attracting the notice of the mortal police!”

She ceased her attempts to pin down the scent for the moment and turned her attention to the creature berating her. “I was constrained by my human form and set upon by multiple attackers. The wizard is more clever than you let on, and the young mage with him possessed considerable power. Neither were brutes in the ways of the mystic arts, for all their power.” She scowled and her thin tongue lashed out to wet her lips. “To say nothing of the Reverent One and the strange-smelling female that joined them.”

The False-man still scowled at her, his anger unabated. “You knew you would be outnumbered. I still expected better from you.”

“Then give me a place where I can use my real power!” Ourobouros replied with a snarl. “I will not expose my true form where word of it could reach the Fae. There is no point in obeying you if it has the same effect as disobedience. Maybe if you had fed me better I could have accessed greater strength even when disguised, but I am a shadow of my former self. I do not consume out of mere gluttony, but out of a need to restore myself.”

Before he could reply again, one of his underlings rushed forward from elsewhere in the building. “Master, I have the detective’s report. The wizard is yet ignorant to the source of his troubles, but he suspects the detective. He asked questions about the disappearance of the mortal boy that interfered.”

The False-man grew still; his pinched face was pensive.

“Very well. No matter. Destroy your burner phone and drop all connections to the detective. He is a compromised asset. Rearrange your flesh-mask so that he cannot recognize you even if the wizard turns him. And Marcone?”

“Still assaulting the ghouls at the lakehouse. Still confused by the traces of Fomor magic we have allowed his witch to sense.”

“Excellent. Continue on.”

The underling bowed and hurried to do as his master commanded. Ourobouros snorted in amusement. “Does the wizard truly scare you that much? He is stronger and more canny than you implied, but he is still just a mortal.”

The False-man stared into the distance for a moment and his reply was curiously unheated. “Do you believe in Fate, beast?”

“No.” Yes, and mine is to devour this entire world no matter how long it takes!

“Neither do I, and yet that wizard would seem to challenge that. He has faced impossible odds and survived, even thrived, when his betters have died. The Fae think it is proof of his worthiness, my colleagues believe it is merely luck, my mother believes his grandfather manipulates the circumstances in ways we cannot trace, but I see it differently.

“He is a living font of chaos and he brings ruin to everything he touches. Should I focus all my energy into killing him I have no doubt it would only end in my own destruction. Instead, I will do all I can to keep him distracted, keep him at a distance, until I can grind this entire forsaken city into the dust.”

Ourobouros fell silent at that. The False-man clearly hated this wizard deeply, but it was no real concern of hers. That he would so laughably overestimate the mortal was a source of quiet amusement, however.

The False-man glanced over at her again. “Were you being serious when you said, you need more food to recover your power?”

“Yes,” she said cautiously, wondering if he meant to starve her into submission. She would take her chances with the Green Lady before she would allow that to happen.

Instead, the False-man pulled out a chunk of dark material the mortals called a ‘phone’ and spoke into it. “Yes, this is he. Re-route the next train of beef cattle to the following address. I don’t care what favors you use or lines you cross to do it. Understood?” The voice on the other end affirmed and the False-man slid it back into his pocket.

“You’ll get exactly what you want, creature. I hope you don’t disappoint me again.” Without another word he walked out of the abandoned slaughterhouse, leaving the dragon to her own devices.

Ourobouros lazily grinned as she finished off the last of the pig that had been awaiting her return. If the False-man truly provided her with a herd’s worth of cattle, then disappointment was the last thing he would feel when she was through with him.

Now, if only she could identify that mysterious scent…

Author's Note:

It's a bit late for a Christmas present, but here's one last bit of Dresden for all of the fans before 2018 gives up the ghost.