• Published 31st Oct 2014
  • 3,452 Views, 192 Comments

Building a Better World: Origins - Cookie_Girl



when their world is on the brink of armageddon the peoples of Equus are moved to Earth

  • ...
15
 192
 3,452

Halloween anniversary special: Nightmare in Shadow

Twas a dark and stormy night. The sky above shrouded in a mass of impenetrable black clouds. Wind howled, lightning flashed, and thunder boomed.

Arceus hath made his announcement to the world. He hath told everyone of the new region, and of the many new species of pokemon that live upon it. Also he hath told the humans not to approach the new region until further notice so that the inhabitants of the land could adjust.

Truly all at first seemed well, but many things are not always what they seem.

Below the storm Spear Pillar sat upon the face of Mt Moon, currently in the region of Johto. Inside the temple a storm of a different sort was brewing.

After her three days of meditation to help Darkrai learn how to control his nightmare powers Luna was mentally and physically exhausted. This still was on top of the stress from the loss of her home, and the attack by Tirek. So it would come as no surprise that she now walked into her room, and collapsed onto her bed.

The chamber that she had received as her temporary bedroom was left plain with no personal decor. So it was that she now rested in a plain white chamber, and slept in a pristine white bed. And lo it was because of this even more unsettling what occurred next.

Deeply sleeping in a bed as soft as a cloud, Luna had not looked so peaceful in days. Her dark fur contrasted with the white sheets that covered her. Her chest rose and fell as she breathed. She stirred slightly as she dreamed, and a smirk came to her lips. Slowly she seemed to begin to wake, and one eye opened.

One draconian slitted eye opened.


Alone in one of the corridors inside the Hall of Legends was a green fairy like pokemon. Celebi was humming a cheery tune as she floated along by herself. She was very happy about what has happened. Her grandfather, Arceus was back and there were all new pokemon that she could play with!

Celebi paused for a moment as the light suddenly flickered into darkness around her. She shrugged when the light came back, though she failed to notice the darkness that still lingered.

So Celebi continued on her way, but she heard someone walking behind her. She turned around and looked into the deep shadows that shrouded the hall. The echo of bipedal steps sounded from beyond her sight. With each step the echoes grew louder, signaling that the one walking was getting closer. As the steps reached their loudest Celebi could see the human who approached her, and she became paralyzed from fear.

How...how d-did you get here? she asked, stuttering with her telepathy in her alarm.

The iron masked man sneered at her. He reached a hand up to his chest and grabbed one of the Dark Balls on his red cloak.

Celebi's little body trembled as she watched him draw his arm back...

Celebi finally screamed with her Psychic voice. The telepathic scream travelling much faster and farther than a regular one could have. It was heard by nearly all who were currently in the temple, but most importantly it was heard by one in particular.

Seventeen feet of blue and gray metal armored Dragon stepped out of a portal and stood protectively over his daughter. Though there was no threat that he could see, not even an illusion, he roared with enough volume to make the Hall of Legends quake.


It took not very long for the Legendaries to track down the source of the dark power that had haunted little Celebi. Luna and Celestia had both denied it at first, but they knew better than to ignore the possibility. So it was that they now gathered in the temple's meeting room.

I still think that I should just go into her mind and obliterate this Nightmare. Arceus stated not for the first time. Celestia and Luna both gave him a deadpan "No." , also not for the first time.

No offense dad, but you aren't very subtle. Mew told him. You would probably make think she's a Torchic or something.

I'm not that blunt. he muttered.

"How shall you be doing this?" Celestia asked Mew.

My sisters and me will go into Luna's mindscape, and get rid of Nightmare. Easy! Mew smiled and gave a thumbs up.

"That will not work." Luna shook her head. "Nightmare may have different motivation than me, but she has all of my knowledge and skill. If you go after her as a group she will only separate you and take you out one at a time. It would be best if only one goes after her, one who is skilled in mental powers but also skilled in combat. Is there a Legendary who fits this description?"


Mewtwo levitated through the darkness of Princess Luna's mind. He watched for signs of any daemon or dream spirits, but for now there was only darkness. He was confused about how this Nightmare could slip passed a seal set in place by Arceus. The only thing he could think of that would explain it is if Arceus had set the seal for something specific, and Nightmare was something else.

Soon it was that Mewtwo came upon a rusted crooked iron gate. On the other side of the gate was what looked like an abandoned village. Run down shacks and falling apart buildings, rotted dieing trees scattered around, a polluted lake, and a cemetery with open graves like they had all just been dug, or like something had crawled out of them. He passed through the gate and noticed that the shadows in the graveyard began to move. Mewtwo heard a slow creak from behind him, and when he looked the gated had slammed shut.

All around him the seemingly abandoned ghost town sprung to life...with ghosts! Ghosts and zombies and other creatures of the night, but they were all ponies. They had all just been standing there, or hiding just inside the shadows like they were waiting for something. Then they all started
singing.

When the song was done the monster ponies had surrounded Mewtwo, though they made no move to attack him. He paid them no attention and turned to face the the one who controlled them. She stood taller than he did, with her horn extending over a foot higher. Her body was black as a lightless void, her mane a flowing astral night sky, and she wore blue silver armor. Her draconian eyes illuminated with a semblance of moonlight, and her mouth pulled into a smirk revealed her shark like teeth.

"Nightmare Moon I presume." Mewtwo spoke, his voice being verbal rather than his normal telepathy sense they were already communicating telepathically. "You're not some simple figment of her mind are you."

"Indeed not." she trotted around him in a circle as she studied him. "Can you guess what I am truly?"

"You are definitely no simpled demon or spirit. Arceus placed the seal on Princess Luna's mind to keep such things out." he said as she continued to stalk around him. "So you must be a representation of some part of her subconscious mind. Am I right?"

Nightmare Moon snorted in aggravation, and her conjured minions adopted a more hostile appearance. "Just like that bearded fool... I am no 'piece' of her mind. I am my own pony, SEPARATE from Luna!"

With that she plunged everything into darkness. Mewtwo could see nothing, not even his own hand in front of his face. Still around him he knew that the monsters she had made were stalking him.

"You see Mewtwo, you are not in Luna's mind." He heard her whisper from everywhere and nowhere. "You are in mine. I have existed for only half of her life, but I have always been nothing but a thought. A living mind that existed on the astral plane, a mind without a body.

"So when you get right down to it, you are not simply in my mind." Nightmare Moon spoke clearly from just behind him, a malicious fang filled grin on her muzzle. "You are in the center of my very being...and I locked the gate when you entered."

Mewtwo's eyes widened as he thought back to the gate he had entered through. Had there been another sound that was muffled by the slamming of the gate? Had he heard the clicking of lock underneath the echoed clang of the rusted iron?

"...Oh pokebal-aarrgg" he screamed in agony as the spike she had formed from her mane retracted from his abdomen. It left no wound in the physical world, but here in her world was more real than any attack he had ever felt.

"I was hoping for something more feminine." Nightmare Moon told him. "But a body is a body, and I shall have one of my own!"

A pained groan escaped Mewtwo's lips as he stood. He focused and the wound vanished. "You will have to do better than that. None of this is real so any injuries I sustain will have never existed as soon as I recover from your attacks."

"I know." Nightmare Moon told him as she raised an eyebrow at him. She then pointed at the zombie, ghost, vampire, mutant, and other monster ponies around him. "That's what they're for."

The monster ponies all swarmed on him. Mewtwo threw himself into the air to escape, but some still clung to him. Lyra had her snake fingers wrapped around his left leg with their fangs biting into his flesh. Spike had climbed onto his back and was biting away at his shoulder. Pinkie Pie held onto his tail with one hoof while the other was trying to keep from dropping her face, she solved this problem by holding her face to his tail and biting it. The sudden pain in his tail made Mewtwo teleport out of instinct and he looked down to see them all plummet to the ground.

The cackling of witches got his attention. Twilight and Trixie were riding after him on their broomsticks, and behind them was Rainbow Dash the reaper. Twilight and Trixie both shot twin balls of green fire at him. He deflected the flames with a Psychic, but then Rainbow Dash zoomed in on him. With a wicked smile on her muzzle she swung her scythe. Mewtwo tried to block with a Psychic shield, but Rainbow Dash vanished in a haze of smoke. She reappeared behind him and he only avoided having his spine severed by blocking with his tail. Unfortunately the blade held a ghostly power within it and it caused him a great deal of pain as it cut into his flesh.

Mewtwo turned with a Fire Punch aimed at her face. The blow sent the undead mare flying off in the direction of the toxic lake with her head engulfed in fire. Mewtwo took the opportunity to focus his form and remove the wound, but this left him open to attack.

The unicorn witches flew around him as they cast fire at him. The flames burned his skin, but they also poisoned him. A rot formed around his burns and began to creep up his body. He teleported next to them and used a Psycho Cut on each of them. Once more Mewtwo restored himself as their bodies and heads fell separately.

"Here kitty kitty."

Mewtwo flinched as Rarity sunk her fangs into his neck and began draining his blood. He tried to teleport, but pony ghosts flew through his body and disrupted his concentration. They also sapped his strength and slowed his thoughts. As blood dripped down his body Mewtwo slowly sank to the ground.

"Your power may be legendary but your brain could use some improvement." Nightmare Moon laughed, her voice booming across her realm. "Too bad you didn't figure it out in time."

Mewtwo looked up at her as she trotted towards the gate. He noticed how her power was retracting into her from around them. He slumped in defeat... Then he realized his mistake, and grinned widely.

"Everything here is a part of you." he raised one arm and clenched his fist. "Even the ground!" Mewtwo struck the ground with an Earthquake and destroyed the minions that Nightmare Moon had created.

Nightmare Moon felt the blow like a physical attack, and fell over from the pain. She clenched her fangs, and turned on him with her horn glowing. From around his feet the hooves of zombified ponies dug out of the ground, and began to pull him under.

Mewtwo fought them off with Fire Punch and Psychic, but as strong as he was the sheer number of undead ponies made it an even match. Eventually though he managed to drive most of them off, and he noticed that they were appearing less and less as he fought. It seemed as if he would win...

A sound like the wind being cut through by a sword greeted his ears, and suddenly Mewtwo could no longer feel his right arm. Rainbow Dash flew around him with her scythe dripping blood, and his severed arm. The sight of his own limb dangling lifelessly in someone else's grasp was very unsettling. While he was distracted the zombies all rushed forward and pinned him down.

Rainbow Dash flew down and held her scythe above his head. "Any last words?" she asked him with a sneer on her burned face.

"Just one." he told her. "Psyshock!"

Nightmare Moon's entire world flickered in and out of existence as bolts of psychic power shot through her. The Earthquake had hurt, but this was a psychic attack delivered directly to a mind with no physical body... It. Was. AGONY! She screamed as her form distorted almost into nothing.

Mewtwo recovered from his injuries, and got a big foreleg to his face. After flying back from the blow he looked at the newest pony monster...a Frankenstein Big Mac!

As the Macenstein monster lifted his massive forelegs up to smash him...Mewtwo pulled his arm back, charged it with Psychic power, and jabbed a Psystrke into the undead stallion's chin. Big Mac's head made a nice whistling sound as it flew through the air.

"Enough of this!" yelled Nightmare Moon. She transformed into smoke, and streaked through the darkness towards the gate.

"No!" Mewtwo focused his mind on the gate, and a blue glowing symbol of his face appeared over it.

Nightmare Moon returned to her normal solid form, and gallopped to the gate. She scratched at the gate with her hooves, but Mewtwo's own seal kept her from even touching it. Her face contorted with rage.

"Too late." Mewtwo said as he floated towards her. "You can't get through that seal. Now how about we finish...this...are you laughing?"

"Ha ha, ha ha ha, Ha Ha, HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHA!" Nightmare Moon looked at him with her fangs showing through a feral grin. "You foal! I was going to just leave you here, but now in order for me to go you must die."

"...You were holding back?"

A wave of darkness flooded the world around them. The town, and all of its inhabitants were swept up in the shadows. When it stopped Mewtwo was left with nothing around him...unless he counted the endless expanse of a galaxy that met his eyes. Planets, stars, and even a nearby asteroid belt.

"Why would you cover this with that horror show?" he asked.

"Oh, so now someone appreciates the night?" she growled at him. "Too little too late."

Mewtwo saw her, and his eyes widened. As she had previously spread herself out to make the town Nightmare Moon had had to focus too much on her illusion for her to be a true threat. She swiped Mewtwo with a backhanded blow from one wing, and sent him flying off through space at the speed of a comet. Before Mewtwo could react Nightmare Moon teleported into his path and hit him with an energy blast.

This time Mewtwo was left to crash into a passing meteor. When he hit the meteor cracked open, and he found it to be hollow.

"What's this?" Mewtwo saw the inside of the meteor was actually a memory. One of Princess Luna's memories. "Hmm..."

He watched as a very young Luna walked up to a door and knocked twice. "Tia? Tia?" she called to her sister. "Does thou want to see the moonrise?" Mewtwo stayed to watch in the hope that he might learn something, but all he learned was that Luna used to cry herself to sleep.

Nightmare Moon burst into the meteor like wrecking ball, and rammed her head into him. He just barely managed to avoid being gored by her horn, but even so she still hit him with the force of a Dragon Tail attack from Groudon.

Sailing through space once again Mewtwo caught sight of another meteor, and in an impulse he changed his direction to crash into it. The inside of this one contained a memory from a slightly older Luna. She was somewhere between a filly and a fully grown alicorn.

Luna was alone in the library of the old castle at night. She was browsing the shelves in search of some specific book. She looked for some time before finding what she seeked. In her magic she pulled a single book from a shelf.

"Spells of the mind, memories, and emotions." she read the title aloud. After flipping through the pages for a bit Luna found what she was looking for. "Here it is. A spell to hide the emotions in the subconscious. This had better work, tis not right to be so jealous of our sister."

Mewtwo watched Luna cast the spell on herself. He knew from the memory that it was only a temporary spell meant for therapeutic use, but he was getting a suspicion about things. Then the floor erupted in an explosion of stone as Nightmare Moon crawled out of some hellish pit with the fires of the underworld following her. Mewtwo was gone as fast as thought would allow.

"This is getting interesting, but I need to see more." Mewtwo came to an asteroid belt, and thought about it. "What the hell."

Being in a world of the mind, and not bound by the laws of reality Mewtwo Mega Evolved. Twice. His combination of the X and Y Mega Evolutions was definitely cooler.

With his power amplified Mewtwo zoomed into the asteroid belt, and began smashing them with his fists. After a series of punches he decided to mix it up, and began to head but, kick, tail smash, and even crushing a few of the massive space rocks between his hands. Each one that he destroyed released a memory.

It took him a moment to sort the images into a linear memory, but he soon had a better understanding of Luna, and of her creation. The memories were still jumbled, and a little out of order, but they we're understandable.

A collection of memories from Luna's foalhood to her banishment. The battle with King Sombra which awoke the darkness fully. The battle with Celestia after her transformation. Nightmare Moon in her and Luna's banishment.

Among it all though was the recurring sight of Luna returning to the library, and recasting the suppression spell on herself. Luna did this whenever she began to feel jealous of, or angry at her sister. As time went on Luna would do this more often. The negative feelings that the spell blocked did not simply vanish, but were put away in the back of her mind. There the feelings and thoughts stayed as fresh as the day she had them, and with each casting of the spell they grew. Finally on one fateful day Princess Luna modified the spell to last as a permanent enchantment.

Mewtwo let his form return to normal. "So she inadvertently created you from her own mind?"

From behind him Nightmare Moon watched the memories herself. "Do you have any idea what it is like to be trapped within someone else's mind? Simply come into existence one day, and find yourself without any companionship? I eventually grew strong enough to push through the barrier that contained me, and Starswirl told Luna that the voice in her head was just some out of control dream magic that had manifested from her subconscious. They thought I was nothing!"

Mewtwo noticed a stray meteor off by itself. He raised one arm, and fired an energy blast that broke it open. The memory inside was of a newly made Nightmare Moon trying to call out to Luna, Celestia, and Starswirl. They ignored her, and placed a mystical cage around the part of Luna's mind where she lived. The young alicorn pounded her hooves on the barrier, and began to cry.

"I just want out!" she yelled at them, but this only seemed to embolden their actions.

"Don't leave me alone." she begged, but they did not listen.

As they were placing the final touches on the seal she lashed out in anger. She summoned a storm of shadow demons, shot bolts of lightning, and screamed vengeance at them. "I shall slay ALL of you for this!"

Mewtwo looked the alicorn in the eye, and thought for a moment. "How willing would you be to compromise?"


Mewtwo returned to his own body, and to consciousness in Luna's bed chamber where the Princesses, Mew, and Arceus had all gathered. Luna was coming out of her trance as well, and she nuzzled her sister who sat beside her on the bed. Mewtwo let them have their moment while he detached Mew from his head.

Why were you hugging my head? he asked after unlatching her nearly unbreakable hug from him.

YOU ALMOST DIED! she shouted, and once more clamped onto him. Though this time she attached herself to his shoulder.

Mewtwo decided to leave her where she was. I was not in danger of death at first. Her goal originally was to replace my mind with hers.

"Why would she want to do that?" Luna asked him with a confused expression.

Long ago you began to use a spell to suppress the negative thoughts and emotions that you had whenever the ponies favored the day over the night. This spell was only temporary, and did nothing more than put your problems away for a while. he reminded her.

"I..remember that yes, but what does it have to do with Nightmare Moon?"

When your bad thoughts would not stop you abused the spell nearly every day, and then you corrupted the spell by applying it to your mind permanently.

"Luna! Tell me you didn't." Celestia scolded her.

"...We may have." Luna mumbled. "But so what? It has nothing to do with her."

"Luna..." Celestia rubbed her right temple with her wing. "You placed a spell on your own mind as a permanent fix to something that we could have just talked about. You know that changing an established spell into something it is not meant for can have serious unexpected side effects."

In this case the unexpected side effect was the creation of a whole other being as a result of Luna's magic containing so many of her thoughts, memories, and emotions. Basically all of the magic combined with the repressed parts of her mind in a way that created the personality known as Nightmare Moon. Mewtwo explained to everyone.

Celestia and Luna both stared at him for a bit blinking their eyes. Nobody else moved or said anything while the information was being processed. Finally Luna asked a rather obvious question.

"What?"

You accidentally created a twin sibling by dividing your mind into two parts, and you both share the same body. Mewtwo told her. He then levitated himself up and stretched his surprisingly sore muscles. Starswirl then mistakenly advised you that she was a part of your subconscious that had been animated as a side effect of Sombra's curse, but truthfully that had only awakened her. You all then locked her in a cage when she had only the mind of a young teenager.

The Princesses could have chosen to not believe him, but they had always known that there had been something odd about how the Nightmare had just appeared. Starswirl had tried to find the truth before he had died, but he left little information on it. Celestia herself had tried to search for the answer, but after Luna's banishment there was no way to test her theories. Then there were the Elements. If she had not been banished or otherwise dealt with as Discord had been, then she was not evil.

I'll save you the trouble before you start blaming yourselves. Mewtwo got their attention as he levitated next to the bed with Mew still clamped onto his shoulder. While she is still angry she does not want to continue where she left off. Even if she did somehow manage to take over your body she would now find herself at odds with the Legendaries. So I have arranged for a meeting between her and Luna, so that they can negotiate a fair way of managing who gets to do what.


Once more in a trance Luna walked through her own mind, guided by Mewtwo. Luna was still unsure about facing her other half like this, but she knew that it was the best option. Mewtwo led her through the gate that separates the two minds, and Luna immediately wished that they could just battle and be done with it.

Luna found herself not in the nightmarish land that she had expected, nor in the endless beauty of the night sky that she would have welcomed. No, instead she found everything to pink. Not just pink, but bright pink with lots of frilly girly patterns that Cadence would love. And in the middle of it all was her twin sitting at a table set for tea with a sly grin on her muzzle.

"Won't you sit down?" she invited Luna to join her.

"...Can we by any chance just fight instead?"

"No."

Luna grumbled a little, but sat at the table anyway. Though she refused to drink out of the flowered teacups. "Well, let us get on with it."

"Agreed. First order of business, my name."

Luna blinked a couple of times as her darker counterpart fixed a cup of tea with ten sugar cubes. "What about your name?"

"Oh come on. You're the one gave me that name when you first heard me talking to you. Would you want to be named for a grown mare's moment of childish fear?"

"Ah, well...good point." Luna blushed a little as she remembered running into Celestia's room one night, as a teenager not a grown mare, and telling her about hearing a voice in the dream realm. "Fine then. Any suggestions?"

"I've put a good bit of thought into that actually. Do you take ten cubes of sugar, or twelve?" she pointed a hoof at one of the two cups that floated between them.

"Twelve please." Luna answered politely. Mewtwo dropped the cookie that he had been sneaking from the table.

"See we are not so so different." the darker alicorn said as she dropped twelve sugar cubes into her tea. For some reason Mewtwo started floating slowly away from the table. "You just got to walk around whenever you wanted while I was locked in a cage for my entire existence."

"Well maybe if thou had tried communicating with me about something other than terrorizing ponies that may not have happened." Luna countered as she levitated her tea to take a sip.

"Tis hardly our fault! Twas thee that created us from thy dark thoughts!"

"Thou still should have explained thyself! Least we would not have feared thee!"

"Thou should fear more our hoof upside thy head!"

The literal lightning storm that had manifested from the flaring tempers of the twin night alicorns was enough to remind Mewtwo that he was supposed to be the peacekeeper of this meeting. He imposed a Psychic aura over the area, and got their attention by lightly smacking a hand on the table. "Enough! This is a negotiation, not a battle. Now you two-

They both turned on him with a pair of cold dark stares that silenced him instantly. Mewtwo took about a millisecond to think about it before he removed himself from their minds and retreated to the real world.

The alicorns looked back to each other, and burst out laughing. After a minute or two they calmed down, drank their tea.

"He had a point." Luna said after finishing her drink. "This is a negotiation, or at least it is supposed to be."

"True. We were talking about my name I believe." Luna nodded for her to continue. "I would like to be called Artemis."

Luna narrowed her eyes at her. "Why?"

"Luna is an old Stalliatin word that means moon and is also the name of a forgotten deity. She was later forgotten in favour of a new goddess. Artemis was her name, and it translates into 'Hunter in the night'."

"So...you want a name that is younger than mine, and more badass as well?" Luna asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Locked in a cage for thousands of years without having done anything to deserve it." she calmly sipped her tea.

"Ah, ahem...yes fair enough." Luna nodded in agreement. "Well then, Artemis, what is the next order of business?"

"Only one I can think of is how to decide who gets to control our body and when." Artemis told her.


It was a few weeks later before the newly christened Artemis could walk the world in her own. It had been agreed that the night Alicorns would swap out control of their body as the moon traversed in its monthly cycle. So as the sphere became full Luna would take control, and as it left the sky dark Artemis would stalk the earth.

Upon a balcony at the top of the Hall of Legends stood Luna. Beside her were her sister Celestia, Arceus, Mew, and Mewtwo. These immortal beings waited for the moon to finish its cycle into its 'new moon' state, and watched as the last remaining sliver of moonlight was swallowed up by shadow.

Luna looked to her sister, but there was nothing to be said. She stepped forward away from the others, and changed. It was similar to, but still very different from her transformation into Nightmare Moon. Luna was swallowed up by a sphere of shadows yes, but there was no quaking of power. When it ended, Artemis was revealed.

"Mmm, good to be back." she said as she stretched her body. HER body, for a month at least. "Fresh air feels SO good on my fur."

A small noise got her attention. Artemis turned around to see Mew slightly trembling at the sight of her. "Oh, umm, Hello-

BYE NOW! Mew yelled, and she teleported away.

"...I see..." Artemis turned her deadpan look to Mewtwo, and was impressed with him. Her eyes scanned over him-

Don't you even think about it! Luna told her from within their mind.

A little too late for that. Artemis replied. But I promise that my first time out will not be for that.

"Luna?" Celestia took a step forward, and looked at her with a confused expression on her face. The dark alicorn before her looked like Nightmare Moon, but there was something off.

"No Celestia, the name is Artemis...and..." she paused before trotting up to Celestia, and looking UP into her eyes. "...Why the Draconequis are you taller than me?"


All around them there was nothing but war. Three sides all against each other. Earth erupted around the battlefield as the combatants fought with each other. It was their fault that this happened. They placed the blame on all of them. Team Eternity was to blame for creating the Forever Balls. Team Rocket was to blame for even thinking that they could, let alone actually trying to catch them. The Rangers were to blame for not going after the real criminals when they had the chance.

Now they were all fighting, and ignoring what had just happened. Finally the so-called heroes were trying to stop the villains, and all it took was for them to attack during the Indigo League.

In Luna's body they gazed down at the Forever Ball at their hooves with a heartbroken look. They. Had. Seen. Enough!

Like a fury they leaped their body into the air, and slammed back to the ground with the force of a comet. The expanding shockwave knocked even a Tyranitar off its feet. The battle ceased as everyone had to recover, and what they saw after was Luna rising from the ground as a swirling mass of black energy.

The energy turned red, and the outline of a much larger alicorn could be seen. Nightmare Moon, the true Nightmare Moon burst forth like a sudden hurricane. She scooped up the Forever Ball with her mane, and gently held it close. With her cargo safe Nightmare Moon cast her gaze upon the mortals who had done this.

They cowered away from her as she unleashed a wave of shadows. "YOU WILL ALL PAY FOR THIS! YOU WILL ALL PAY WITH YOUR LIVES!"

Mew and Celebi returned from their vision of the future. The two Psychics had went in search of confirmation about a theory that Mew had. What they found was more than enough to prove her right.

Celebi shivered as she had felt the cold of Nightmare Moon's vengeance even through the vision. So they can combine their minds into one in order to use all of their magic at once?

Mew nodded. Yes, and because each of them is a fully grown alicorn they are already powerful. Each of them has somewhere around two thirds of Luna's natural power, but they are so opposite of each other that they should not be able to join like that.

They look like they get along ok. Celebi shrugged. They even made a deal about who gets to walk around when.

Mew facepawed as she remembered exactly who she was talking to, and how naive Celebi could be. One of them has been locked in a cage for thousands of years INSIDE the other's mind, and she tried to conquer their world by force. Trust me, they are not going to just forgive each other.

Celebi leaned back and grabbed her feet like she was sitting on thin air. Well I still don't get why you are so worried about it. I mean she is scary, but how dangerous could she be? Let's invite them to a tea party! She suddenly jumped up and down in mid air,and clapped her hands.

Celebi then saw Mew do something that she had never ever seen her do. Mew's face lost all of its usual playfulness, and she actually looked old for a moment as something frightened her. Luna and Artemis can only combine into the form known as Nightmare Moon when they each agree to give the other control. We have to make sure that does not happen.

Celebi had never even heard of Mew acting so serious, let alone actually seen it. What's wrong?

Artemis is a natural Shadow pokemon.

Author's Note:

Wow... This has been fun, and a little slow. :twilightsheepish:

This will be the last chapter for a while as I'm having a little trouble with figuring out how to get the plot to go where I see it going. Also I need to take a break from writing in general...I'll just go ahead and say it. I neatly lost my motivation for writing after I realized something truly stupid about the site.

The featured box does not show the good stories. It shows whatever is written by the most popular members even if they write crap fics. This may seem like something stupid to get upset about, but I did. As a result I became a little depressed, and I came close to wanting to give up. However...something unexpected happened.

While I was already in an emotional state I got to thinking about myself. What I found was that I can finally admit something to myself that I have denied for years. I am transgendered. To be specific I am physically a male, but mentally and emotionally I am a woman.

Some of you are probably wondering exactly why I am telling you this. Well as can be expected with such a self revelation I will be needing to take some time for myself. That means that I will not be doing any writing, or even planning for my fics for a few weeks at the very least, and with Building a Better World being on the back burner that means that means that I will not be coming back to it for several months at the very least.

...Well I've gone on long enough. So for now, farewell.

XOXO