• Published 12th Nov 2014
  • 2,256 Views, 48 Comments

Minty Image - mintgreenconspiracy



When Minty Christmas doesn't go as it normally would. A secret about Minty, G3 Rainbow Dash, and G3 Pinkie Pie comes out, that may very well change everything, forever.

  • ...
1
 48
 2,256

PreviousChapters Next
Optional Chapter 2-4: Wysteria's chapter

"Ok!" Braeburn thought to himself. "It could be much worse! Poncho's kind of an outsider like the town drunk so. nopony will take him too seriously. We just have to be more careful with sombrero!" He thought, holding the sombrero. The old stallion was, after all one of the town elders, and mayor long ago at the town's founding. He just needed to make sure he didn't say too much.

"Jello!" Said the old stallion, who was missing his signature sombrero that normally adorned his head -- revealing his mane... or rather lack of mane. "So!" He exclaimed, looking Braeburn up and down. "I'm guessing the thief got away!" He said, looking at the young stallion, who looked like he'd been run over by the train that went by town once a day.

Braeburn, simply nodded sadly.

"Jwell no matter!" He said smiling greatfully. "J...You did the best you could!" He said, looking away sadly. "We'll get that varmints as soon as the sheriff returns from Canterlot." He said, looking at his balding head in a mirror. "Djo I was really hoping that dju would be able to gets back my sombrero!" He said, with a sigh.

"An' who said ah didn't!" Braeburn exclaimed, bringing said hat out of his saddlebag.

"Excelent!" The old stallion said, with a smile. "I knew I could count on d...you!" He said, happily placing his namespace hat on top his brow. "This deserves a favor!" He said, with great enthusiasm. "Name something!" He said, giving Braeburn a grateful hug. "Anything! And I'll see if I can get it for you!" He said, dragging out some very valuable vintage wine that he had been saving. "Course regardless! We should drink to your success!" He said, pouring out two glasses. "So what do d...you need?"

Braeburn smiled, blushing slightly -- scaping one of his front hoofs against the other front leg. "Ah was kind'a hoping y'all could, maybe, get ah new hat fur my cousin." He said, motioning Wysteria in. "Ah ran into him while ah was in Dry Gulch, after that varmint got away, and ah was hoping ah could get him something to remember the fine city of AAAAAAPPPPPLLLEEEEEOOOSA by." He said, motioning at one of the display hats on the wall.

"But uv course!" Sombrero said, with a smile. "Take off that hat amigo so I can get dj...you sized!"

Braeburn frowned, swallowing slightly. "Actually before my cousin does that, could I ask you for another favor?"

"Another faj.. favor?" Sombrero said, with a smirk. "I d-only planned on giving you one, but why not! This is, after all, a moment of celebration! What dju you need my friend?"

"Ah was hoping you could keep what's under the hat between us." Braeburn said, blushing slightly. "He's kind of sensitive about it." He said, putting one hoof to his mouth.

"But of course." Sombrero said, pulling the hat off Wysteria's head slowly. "I fjigured it was at kind of an odd angle." He said, as the hat slowly revealed the long spiraled horn benief. "Wow!" He said, whistling loudly as the horn's full size was finally revealed. "That's a long one." He said, looking at the horn -- which was at least as large as the alicorns head. Sombrero smiled. "A fine horn for a fine stallion." He said, with an honest smile. "Heck! That might be bigger than that prince's horn. Djwhat's his name? Blue-something or anodjer! Nevertheless, the apples are a family of almost all earth ponies -- even cadet branches like the oranges, and the peppers. So I can see with a horn like that why you would be anxious." He said, to silent nodding by the earth pony turned alicorn.

Sombrero took some careful measurements, taking careful care to note the size and shape of the horn versus the pony's head. "I may have just the hat for you amigo." He said, with a smile. He turned to Braeburn. "Don't worry! Dju... Your cousin's in good hooves!" He said, getting a tape measure from one of his desks. "And I'm sjorry 'bout leaving you with that hombre." He said, turning to Braeburn, with a frown -- which caused Wysteria, in turn, to wince slightly. "I had no idea that djat old snake was so toughs!" He said with some agitation -- not noticing the growing frown on Wysteria's face. "Course I hopes that now that he's gone that he'll stays their problem."

Wysteria winced noticeably -- having finally had enough silence on the matter. "Well maybe he's done stealing, now?" She asked, to a stunned silence. "And maybe he never meant to hurt anyone in the first place?" She asked, causing Braeburn to wince noticeably -- Things just got a whole lot harder!

Sombrero winked his eyes a few times, rolling his head in a double take. "What jdid you say amigo?" He said, looking Wysteria in the eyes.

"Well maybe he's done stealing and -- " She said, before noting that the old mexicolt stallion had turned and walked over to Braeburn with a bemused expression on his face.

"Stallion huh?" He said, with a smirk, and a wink. "What's the amiga's name Braeburn? Djur friend?"

Braeburn frowned. "Well ah guess ah've been found out. That's my cousin in law Wysteria." He said, his face turning red.

"Oh ho!" Sombrero said, hiding his smile behind a faux sternness. "'cousin' huh?" He said, putting a hoof on Braeburn's wither, and making sure to get his face good and close to Braeburn's ear. "Well, Braeburn, I think 'your cousin' could do better! Because, frankly, she might, possibly, be the ugliest mare I've ever seen." He said, ribbing Braeburn playfully. "No worries though. I can guess why you wanted us to think that she was a he." He said, smiling slightly -- thinking about Braeburn's mom. "Don't worry though, by the time I'm done, she'll look like the princess 'your cousin' probably thinks she is!"

********

Braeburn had been surprised by how fast the word had spread. And what was even more baffling was that, after he had finished with Sombrero that he was still completely able to get away with calling Wysteria his 'stallion cousin', but, by nightfall, he had been forced to completely abandon the narrative, as word had spread quickly, too quickly, that 'his cousin' was actually his mare 'cousin in law'. Luckily, at least, as of that moment, Poncho and Sombrero had kept the matter of her wings and horn to themselves -- which was good because Braeburn didn't really want ponies putting two and two together (especially with how terrified the mare seemed to be of the p-word -- not that he could imagine why.)

And even Sombrero's silence on her horn didn't do much to help protect her from the whistles and catcalls that some very inconsiderate ponies were giving her. The good news, however, was that, for now, the mare's shield of ignorance did seem to keep her safe from the worst of it. Though, he fully suspected that the mare did, however, notice at least some of the silent stares and whispering (though he didn't know if it was because of her being shy, or if she had an idea what was being discussed.) He suspected that, to make things worse, the mare normally prefered to quietly fade into crowds -- using her words sparingly -- rather than to stick out of them! (And if ponies knew about her princess status, she would definitely stand out -- no doubt in his mind.)

And then there was the matter of the disapproving looks he was getting; both from the old mares and stallions that knew his mother -- and probably felt he was making a mockery of her, and their honor -- and the young stallions who 'felt he could do better'. And then, what was worse was that, all of them were wrong -- and this was precisely why he wanted them thinking of her as his 'stallion cousin'. Oh well! That opportunity was passed now!

And then there was the fact, that, if anypony were to get a look under her sombrero and poncho, at those wings and that horn -- odd and distorted though they were --, they would automatically feel the insatiable need to bow and scrape -- Celestia knew that he still did, and that it was taking every ounce of his willpower not to bow and scrape, even just thinking about those things. And he strongly suspected that she would probably take all the bowing and scraping poorly.

Oh well! In any case, this wouldn't matter, because the sheriff would be back in a few days, and they could sort out this mess, at that point. Maybe he could get the word out to Celestia or maybe get some letters out to someponies who could help. Of course, he could always get her on the next train -- somewhere. Though, it all gave Braeburn pause. Why hadn't deputy Bronze Star shown back up yet? Were the meetings back in Canterlot really going that poorly?

In the end, though, he didn't have time to wonder long before Cherry Strudel, an old friend of his mother's, showed up. And he, most certainly, appeared none too happy. How could Braeburn tell? He could tell, just by the look of him! Though the stamping, snorting, and ranting was a very strong indication! The stallion walked up to Braeburn giving him his very most disapproving glare -- and making good and sure to get right in his face. "What would yer mother think, if'n she saw you like this?" He snarled, with a frown, pointing, vigorously, at the mare standing next to Braeburn. "For that matter, what would yer pa think?" He said, slobbering slightly, his attention turning back to the departed apple mare. "Oh that mare was the epitome of style and grace! A beacon of morality! A paragon of virtue! She was just such a shining example to us all!" He said, looking up -- probably hoping to be better heard by the pony he was talking about. "And just look, at what you've done to her name! You and that dame have soiled her beautiful name." He said, with tears in his eyes, which were both shooting daggers at the young mare.

Braeburn grunted silently -- starting to seathe slightly. He was normally not a pony who got mad, but, in this case, he might make an exception! How dare that stallion drag his poor departed mother into this! And how dare he make these unfounded accusations and insinuations about somepony who had taken refuge under his roof -- accusing him was one thing, but accusing that poor innocent, lost mare, was a whole nother thing!

"Oh dear." Wysteria said, with a frown. "What did he do? He seems like such a nice person to me? And what does 'dame' mean?" She asked, with concern showing in her voice. "I don't believe I've heard that word before." She said, innocently -- obviously unaware of what was being leveled at her. "And it sounds mean, and scary!" She said, tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm not scary right?!"

Cherry turned back to Braeburn, his face showing even more anger. "And apparently you are taking advantage of this poor innocent -- " He said, making sure to stick his muzzle closer and closer to Braeburn's face.

That was it! That was the final straw! He had heard this man fling his accusations long enough! It was time for Braeburn to give this blowhard a piece of his mind! "Sir! How dare you say such things! And insult, not just my honor, but the honor of -- " He started saying, before he got drowned out by a ruckus emanating from nearby.

"King Longhorn is coming!" The town drunk shouted at the top of his lungs, running through town. "I done saw them! There I was, down up at Saddlesore Ridge -- trying to get away from the bottle -- and I done saw them movin' camp! Plain as day." He shouted to all who would listen, only to have them avoid him at all costs. Most ponies just shook their heads in pity at the poor old coot.

He turned to Braeburn, desperately trying to get his attention. "Braeburn! You have ta' believe me!" (That would be hard as the pony had a history of telling tales.) He said, stepping up to Braeburn, and trying to hold himself up by the pony' withers. "Ah saw him! He's here! And he's lookin' for somepony ta k-- " He started saying, before noticing that nopony seemed to believe him. "Ain't nopony listening! Ah'm not lyin' he's here!" He shouted, expecting something... even whispers. Instead the ponies turned away, returning to their day to day existence.

Cherry Strudel rolled his eyes -- and interrupted the old geezer. "You've done been on the bottle again -- haven't ya'all!" He said, switching his berating partner from Braeburn to the old coot. "How many have ya had already today?"

"Ah swear!" The old guy said, with conviction. "Ah haven't had one since I done sawd the princess!" He said, with an honest expression. "And I done sawd Kind Longhorn! And if nopony believes me then I'm-a hightailin' it outta town!" He said, making for the rails in utter panic. Screaming "The cattle rustlers are coming!" At the top of his lungs -- until he finally galloped out of earshot.

Cherry Strudel and Braeburn both traded puzzled expressions, this had to be another one of the old codgers stories right? He couldn't possibly be telling the truth this time? Right?

********

"So, Wysteria, this will be your room, while you're staying with us in AAAAAAAAPPPPPLLLLEEEEOOSA!" He said, motioning at the door, of what would normally be his room. His face dropped the moment that he peaked into the room. "But first." He said, with a blush -- having just now realized something. "Ah need ta check on somethin'." He said, rushing into his room -- making good and sure to close the door behind him (at least he thought he did.)

What followed, soon after, was a flurry of activity (and what sounded like the sounds of heavy equipment in a construction zone.) After a few minutes he wiped his brow -- satisfied in the quality of his work, and the smoothness of his save. "Good thing ah remembered mah room." He said, with relief. "Ah would be mortified if ah had a mare seein' mah messes." He said, blushing slightly, until a shadow cast itself upon a nearby wall, and a thought suddenly occurred to him. "She's right behind me, ain't she." He thought, turning around, very slowly -- fully, and apprehensively, aware of what was probably back there. "Oh... hello Wysteria!" He said, his face turning red. "So... um... how long ya been standin' back there?" He asked, awaiting her response. Maybe she wasn't there long?

She smiled. "Not long." She said, innocently.

"Really?" Braeburn asked, hopefully.

"No... Not really," she said, with a blush, and a playful smile -- causing the apple to bow his head in shame. "I was standing there the whole time."

Braeburn frowned. "Sorry bout' that, ah wasn't expecting company -- especially not by a ... mare." (Ha! Take that instinct! There was no way he was going to use the p-word!) "And ah apologize 'cause things were a mite messy! And ah wanted to fix it before ya had ta see it." he said holding his hat to his chest.

"Oh that's ok!" She said, smiling slightly. "It's no worse than Spike's place! In fact, it reminds me of his room -- well.. maybe with less books than his, and more other stuff, but still similar." Wysteria responded.

"Spike?" Braeburn asked, doing a double take. "Ya mean that little pet dragon of Applejack's friend?" He asked, to familiar nodding from the alicorn. "The little purple one that visited with them last year?" He said, the wheels in his head turning -- could it be possible that, maybe, she was from Ponyville after all? (Especially if she knew Spike -- after all, not many dragons live in Equestria.)

She nodded, up until the point where Braeburn said the words 'last year'. "Yes, well except for the part about him visiting last year." She said, matter of factly. "Because he was sleeping under the castle last year." She said, causing Braeburn to shake his head on the inside. "And actually he's blue, not purple!"

Braeburn sighed. Everytime he believed the princess' Ponyville talk was real, she said something to change his mind. Though, he was really wondering, at this point, if she could indeed, come from Ponyville -- but then why were memories all mangled? Could that have been caused by the changeling attack? Maybe, after she went to bed, he would go and see if Mr. Saltworthy had any dragon's fire left. Because maybe it was time to send an emergency letter to his cousin Applejack!

"But, Braeburn?" She asked, looking out into the only other room, in the place. "Where are you going to sleep?" She asked, with concern. "You only seem to have one bed and one room. Does that mean that you will have to sleep on the floor?" She asked, her face growing ever more concerned.

He smiled, reassuringly. "Don't you worry none! Ah'll probably just sleep an the floor." He said, beginning to close the door behind him. She looked at him disbelievingly. He smiled, reassurinly. "Ah'll be fine!" He said, winking on the way out. "It's better fur mah back anyways, an' ah'll see you in the morning!" He said, managing to coax a smile back onto the mare's giant muzzle.

"Wait!" She shouted, causing him to turn around. "Why don't you just sleep in here with me? This bed is more than large enough for the two of us. And that way you won't get cold." She said, looking guilty. "I mean I really don't want to inconvenience you!"

Braeburn chuckled -- a stallion and mare alone in the same room and the same bed? Yeah, not a good idea! Besides, he'd already angered his dear departed mother enough already -- "Oh, that won't be necessary!" He said, with a thankful smile. "Ah'm awfully grateful for the offer, but ah'd feel better if you were comfortable." He said, with a smile -- which quickly turned into a frown upon closing the door behind me. "Such an innocent mare!" He thought, feeling his anger slowly kindling again. "When I find the hombre that turned her mind to scrambled eggs, then ah'm going to scramble their face!" He thought, tapping his foot with great enthusiasm -- secretly, imagining his hoof stomping the face of the no good hombre that hurt her into the dirt.

Wysteria pulled the sheets up as high as she could, making sure to snuggling in as fully as she could, it was a bit harder -- especially considering the fact that she wasn't used, just yet, to sleeping on her side or belly as the wings wished. Oh well, sleep came quickly, and easily -- giving her a nice respite from the day. She smiled happily; hopefully she would wake up tomorrow, and everything would be normal again.

********

In the middle of the night she woke up with a start, hearing a thumping below -- and someone bellowing Santa's signature phrase. Wait! Santa's catch phrase? In Minty's voice? Below!? Was it possible? Was she back home? Oh she simply had to find out! She popped open her eyes. Oh it was true!! It was all true! She was back in her own room. Looking down only brought more good news! She really was back home! She could hardly believe it! There she was, lying in her own bed!

Could it really be true? She wasn't sure, but there was only one way to find out! She lept out of bed, and galloped straight out the door. What she saw below filled her eyes with wonder -- she almost couldn't believe what she saw! But it was true! Oh it was! It really, truly, was her house -- her beautiful purple flower themed house! Everything was exactly where she had left it Christmas Eve -- including Spike's flower! It had been just a nightmare! A horrible, terrible, miserable nightmare!

And do you what would go with this wondrous moment? A beautiful flower! And most beautiful one she had was right there! So naturally she took the flower and put it into it's proper place, in her hair, at the front of her head. Oh how wonderful! Now that everything was back to normal she could resume her normal gardening rituals, and she could help Daisyjo with her garden again, and she could go back to playing chocolate checkers with Sparkleworks! Oh it just made her so giddy -- especially considering how bad her week was!

Oh she just hear the fire burning in her chimney! The festive Christmas fire! Wait... Christmas fire? She killed the fire before she went to bed! So why did she think she heard a fire? She turned around to verify that she hadn't imagined it! Strange -- she thought she could smell smoke, and hear popping! Oh dear! Had something bad happened downstairs? However, taking a look out her door revealed nothing, but the color of her Christmas lights, and a smell of incense. Was she imagining things? So why would she still smell smoke and hear the sound of popping, when nothing seemed to be on fire?

Oh well! She could start her planning for the next spring promenade, with all of it's flowers! Flowers! Flowers! And what was even better was that she wouldn't have to be in that nice Braeburn's way any longer. It really was turning out to be a Christmas miracle!

She rushed up to her bathroom to look in the mirror. And it just got better! Her monster horn and wings were gone! Her nightmare was over! Up until the point she heard a sound...

"Princess! Princess! Princess!" Spike said, rebuking her from behind. "Rule 37: a princess never stays up past her bedtime!" He said, causing her to turn around -- her face going pale.

How did Spike get into her home? And, more importantly: when did spike get into her house? And why, in heaven's name, was he in her bathroom? Of course, in the end, the fact that he was was beyond debate, as there he stood, claw wagging, plain as day. And he looked none too happy!

"If you are going to be a proper princess, then you need to follow the rules." He said, chastising her, with emphasis. "Imagine what would happen if you didn't!" He said, with a shutter.

"But Spike! I thought we both agreed that everyone was a princess now, and we didn't need all these rules!" She said, feeling betrayed by a dragon that she thought was her friend.

"I'm terribly sorry, my dear, but that is impossible!" He said, as she suddenly found herself back in the top floor of one of the towers of the friendship celebration castle -- a place she still couldn't enter, due to all the bad memories! A place also known as 'her royal chambers!'

"Why would everybody be a princess? Not just anybody can be a princess." Spike lectured, dryly. "Especially not Sunny Daze!" Spike said with a noticeable shudder.

"No!" She shouted, dropping down to her knees to beg Spike -- the neverending barrage of images flowing through her head. "Please! I don't wanna be a princess! I can't stand all these rules! I just wanna be me!" She begged, remembering her eating lessons with all of the spoons, and all of their 'proper alignments'.

She could still remember his words: "Princess! Princess! Princess! This is a tabouli, and requires the tabouli spoon -- and the tabouli fork! And the alignment of the pudding spoon is all wrong! When eating a tabouli: the pudding spoon must be held at an one hundred seventy five degree angle! And this is obviously at a one hundred seventy six degree angle! Please try again!" She began to shake in fear, panic starting to set in.

But the tiny blue dragon wouldn't relent, shaking his head, and wagging his claw. "Princess! Princess! Princess!" He said, taking a snooty tone. "That is simply impossible now!" He said, chastising her like a small child. "The moment you put my flower on you became a princess! And now, to add to that, your body has grown the proper accoutrements, thus making your princessification inevitable!"

"Spike, what are you talking about?" She shouted, growing ever more frantic. "What accoutrements?! What do you mean?" She asked, the panic attack slowly growing worse! "Isn't there anything we can do?" She begged, her pleas falling on deaf ears.

Spike shook his head -- as if unaware of what she was saying. "Just take a look my dear." He said, snapping his talon. "Oh ladies in waiting!" He shouted to Tiddly Wink and Tra-La-La, who flew up, with vacant expressions on their faces -- smiling like something out of the village of the darned. "Wait no longer!" He said, with his own smile -- motioning at Wysteria. "The princess requests a mirror!"

"Sure thing!" Both breezies shouted in unison, flying over with a hand mirror, that they had procured from a nearby room. "Here you go!"

"Oh I'm so glad we can be of use to princess Wysteria!" Tiddly Wink said, to Tra-La-La. "She's so lucky! And I'm just so glad I got this splendoricious opportunity!" She said, giddily, rubbing her hooves together.

"Here you go princess!" He said, eagerly holding up the mirror. "So as you can see -- " Spike said, his voice fading behind the murmuring of her own thoughts -- which grew ever more chaotic.

"No! It can't be!" She shouted, falling to her knees -- right before her was that horrible horn and those miserable wings, not just back, but bigger than ever. "No! I don't wanna be a princess." She shouted, beginning to back away, dragging her plot along the ground behind her.

Spike shook his head again. "Princess! Princess! Princess! When will you finally understand? You are a princess, you simply need to learn to live with it!" He said, turning his back to her, as he grabbed something off a desk. "Ahh! This is it!" He said, eagerly -- turning, once more, back to face her. "But don't worry my dear!" He said, with an honest smile.

"I don't?" She said, sniffing slightly, her smile slowly returning. Had her friend the nice Spike came back? Did he have something to help? Wait! Maybe he had something that could fix this? Oh how splendid!

"Yes!" He said, waving his claw. "Because!" He continued, causing to draw more closely -- her heart filled with hope.

"Because?" She said, eagerly, her smile grow like one of her plants.

"Yes! Because I brought this new princess book back with me!" He said, causing her mouth to drop in dismay. "And it's even bigger and more princessy then the other one!" He said, pulling out an enormous book, that was almost as big as she was. "Oh! All the princessing we will be doing! All the new rules you can be following! Won't that be wonderful!" He said, sounding like an enthusiastic schoolboy.

Wysteria stood there, panic had turned to hope, and now blind rage, as her fear and panic continued to grow and spread. "NO!" She shouted, stamping her hooves, causing everything to tremble like lighting. "I HATE BEING A PRINCESS! I JUST WANNA BE ME!" She said, turning from begging and pleading to demanding as fight or flight took over.

"Oh pshaw!" Spike exclaimed. "You don't know what you want!" He said, speaking like an adult talking to their rebellious child. "Eat something! You'll feel better!" He said, the words sounding familiar to her.

Wysteria felt herself dying inside, as fear and panic began to mix with rage. She HAD to make this stop! She couldn't be a princess! Not again! If she had to be a princess again, then it would be the end of her! There was only one option! She hated it, but all of a sudden it seemed like not just the only option, but also the best one! "NO!" She exclaimed, smirking wickedly. "I don't plan to eat something! I won't be a princess, and do you know why?" She asked, getting in the dragon's face.

"And why is that?" The dragon responded back, remaining unfazed.

"Because I quit!" She said, waiting eagerly for the inevitable. "That's right! I quit, now you can go back to sleep for another thousand years, and leave me alone!" She said, her smirk growing ever darker, expecting to see him get woozy, and fall over like last time. "That's right! I don't care! I'm through!" She said, enthusiastically, crossing her front legs definitely. "Now leave me alone, and never come back!"

Instead of the reaction she was expecting, the dragon simply laughed a high pitched laugh -- one that sounded more like a wicked witch then his normal stuffy noble laugh. "Oh Princess! You can't quit! It's much too late now! The princessformation is too advanced!" He said, causing her smile, and all her mirth to suddenly stop; and just as suddenly, as she suddenly found herself standing amongst her friends --towering over them, at double the size of the next tallest pony. Her hair floated in the wind, blowing against an unknown force.

"I'm sorry Princess Wysteria!" Sunny Daze said. "But you're totally a princess now and totally more important then we little ponies are!" She said, disappearing.

"Guys don't you recognize me?" She asked her remaining friends, her eyes filling with tears. "It's me Wysteria!" She asked, in vain.

"Don't worry princess! We won't let you down!" Pinkie said, as she, Minty, and Rainbow Dash disappeared.

"NO! Come back!" Wysteria cried out as her friends disappeared one at a time. As Spike simply stood there in the ground laughing louder, and louder, and more, and more wickedly.

"NOO!!!!!!!!" Wysteria shouted, as she felt herself being shaken.

"Wysteria! Wake up!" Braeburn shouted over her dream. "WAKE UP!!!"

"Say what?" Wysteria asked, waking with a start. "Where am I?" She asked, finding her head and chest dripping in sweat. Standing over the bed was her new friend Braeburn, and his face looked like he'd just been chased by that monster in Daisyjo's garden.

"Ya'all must have had one heck of ah nightmare!" Braeburn said, beginning to calm down. "Ya'all was shouting like a banshee, and yer magic was going all wonky -- causing flowers and thistles ta shoot up everywhere, and the ground was shake'n like the dickens!" He said, as she began to cry.

"Oh Braeburn! It was horrible! I was me again! But then Spike came, and he turned me into a princess! And took them away from me!"

Braeburn glanced back with confusion and concern. "Who did he take away?" He asked, with concern, desperately trying to comfort the frantic alicorn.

"My friends!" Wysteria wailed back, the tears streaming again. "He took them all away! Every last one! And then he left me all alone! And I couldn't do anything! And he had a million rules for me to follow!" She wept, beginning to hiccup. "I miss my friends so!" She said, weeping desperately, the rest of her words becoming incoherent.

Braeburn frowned. 'Spike caused her friends to leave'? Why would she think that? And why would she be having a nightmare of all her friends being taken away? Could she have been abandoned by her family? But why? And why would her friends have abandoned her? Could something have happened to separate her from her friends? Didn't seem right! Somepony's friends and family turning on them like this? But why would somepony, anypony -- especially somepony's family -- turn on a princess like that? Where these unicorn or earth pony supremacists or something? Didn't seem to be the case, so what happened here?

In the end, he was glad that the local bartender, Morton Saltworthy, had promised to give him a bottle of dragon's fire, if he came in first thing in the morning, because it looked like he was going to definately need to send that letter. Maybe he needed a princess to help him here? As he was in over his head! And, to top things off, he had no idea how to detangle the mares mangled memories.

Braeburn smiled. "Ya feeling better?" He asked, kindly turning to the alicorn. "Or would ya like somethin' to drink?" He said, smiling warmly.

"Some grape juice would be nice." She said, hiccuping slightly. "If you don't mind." She said, shivering slightly.

"Sure." He said, with a smile, turning to walk out the door. Of course juice wasn't something he would be drinking after a dream like that, but whatever.

Wysteria frowned, opening her mouth, once more -- her voice filled with concern, and uncertainty. "Braeburn?"

"What is it?" He asked, turning around with a comforting smile. "Do ya need somthin' else."

"Would it be ok if you stayed in here with me tonight?" She asked, like a frightened child, causing Braeburn to frown anxiously -- rubbing his right hoof against his left leg.

Ok. What was he going to do? He had a feeling that she would probably be unable to sleep if he didn't. But if he did, his mother would probably haunt him forever (and, probably, with good reason.)

"Please mr. Braeburn." Wysteria begged and pleaded -- probably still seeing whatever she dreamed about. "I'm scared!" She said, like the small child who needed to sleep in theirs parent's bed after a nightmare.

He sighed, maybe if he slept on the floor -- but he was risking an awful lot. Especially if ponies found out -- or worse still, his worst parts got the better of him. In the end, though, he decided to take the risk (Maybe he could pull it off, especially if he could keep himself busy finishing that letter!)

********

Luna took flight rushing through the dreamscape at top speeds -- one of her little ponies was suffering terribly, and it was her job... (nay her duty!) To do everything in her power to assist them! Well, assuming that she arrived on time (she hated it when she was late, especially after the week's failures.)

In the distance, she could see the dream unfolding before her -- it appeared that her little pony was suffering dreadfully from nightmares, and was shouting desperately (which broke the Princess of the Night's heart.) As she drew closer, the dream began to come into clarity -- at least the details of this dream could be seen from the outside, unlike that poor pony in Ponyville. Perhaps if she stayed and watched, then she would be able to find out something that would allow her to unravel the mystery of this pony's torment.

Before her, she could see a pegasus. "Ahh..." She thought. "Must be a dream about flying..." Problem? it Wasn't a pegasus before her eyes! No! Instead it was another alicorn! Luna stopped in astonishment. Why would her little pony be dreaming that he...? no wait... that was a she! Why would this little pony be dreaming that she was an alicorn? And, for that matter, why was she so afraid of them?

Did not all the subjects love their princesses of moon and sun? And for that matter, wouldn't she wish to be a princess, like them? So why was she so afraid? And, for that matter, Luna had never, once, in her two thousand year reign run into a pony that had nightmares about being a princess! (Well maybe not entirely, Sombra probably had nightmares of them, but certainly never of being a prince/princess.)

As Luna watched on, the ponies oppressor began to come into focus: a small blue dragon with a purple mohawk. The tiny blue dragon reminded her of Twilight's little dragon son/brother. Luna fluttered her eyes, in confusion. This little pony's oppressor was Princess Twilight's son/brother Spike? No! That was impossible! Of this she was certain! So why did the little dragon look like a blue version of Princess Twilight's little dragon? Or was it all merely a coincidence? And for that matter, why did she get the impression that something very fishy was going on? For instance, why did she get the impression that she recognized that dragon? And another thing, why was it that the ponies fears didn't seem to stem from the teeth-gnashing, sharp-scale having, horn-wearing, smoke-snoring, could eat a pony in one bite creature standing before her, and Instead seemed to stem from a sense of betrayal? And why? Was it possible that this purple alicorn knew the baby dragon that stood before the Princess of the Night, in this young pony's dream? Or was this a creation of her own imagination? In either case, the question still remained of what this little blue monster had to do with her being afraid of being a princess? Was Luna dealing with mental imagery? Did the dragon represent power and authority? The forces of nature? Of Tartarus?

In any case, the dream grew darker, and the pony's mood more desperate! There was no more time for Luna to think, or speculate, as it was now time that she intervened! This nightmare had gotten out of control, and there was no more time to wait! She had to intervene, and only afterwards could she resume her contemplations! The time had come! Her horn glowed as she began to pierce the dream walls. She looked at the scene, and began to look for an object that she could replace in the dream's continuity. Her spell would drill into the dream, and it's walls would crumble allowing her entry. Well... normally... Except this time, once again, it didn't!... Ok!... Undetered, she decided to take another course of action! She would force her way in. She decided to gallop at the dream's walls at full speed -- only to find herself crashing into the wall that separated the dream from the dreamscape.

Luna sighed, mentally face hoofing. Again? This was the second time that night that she had found her entry into a dream blocked. And it appeared that the pony couldn't hear her -- as if things weren't difficult enough already. This, to the princess of the moon, represented a catastrophe! Not just did it make her doubt her own magic, and her life's calling, but it also meant that there would be nothing the princess of the moon could do but stand by helplessly, as the dream continued to get worse, and worse. Leaving Luna to mourn for the young pony as their dream turned to take a turn for the worse, as the poor pony's friends began to disappear into the dreamscape one at a time.

No! She would not accept this! She had to get in! And she would! So help her Faust! At this point Luna made a promise to herself, this poor pony, and Faust herself! She would gain entry -- even if it was the last thing she did!

"ENOUGH!" She shouted, using her full powers to blow away the foul blue beast. The source of this ponies sufferings would be stopped, and through his defeat Luna would gain entry into this nightmare! The beam of magic left her horn, and struck the beast and ...

Nothing occurred! Nothing! Nothing at all! However, it was not for not, as the true nature of the dream began to take hold as the blue nightmare began to laugh wickedly.

Luna's face began to pale, and her knees began to wobble. "No! This canst not be!" She shouted out of panic. "The nightmare is dispelled! Nightmare Moon is no more!" She shouted, feeling herself grow cold. This couldn't be Nightmare Moon! They dispelled the nightmare when they drove it out of generous Rarity! It was gone, blown into tiny bits! It would never rise again! But it had to be right?

Luna stopped to think, calming her mind, and clarifying her thoughts. No! This couldn't be Nightmare Moon -- for, if it was, then she would know immediately, due to the connection they shared. But that left another question, that begged to be asked: if that wasn't Nightmare Moon, then who was it? And, for that matter, why did she feel was the insatiable need to flee? What manner of nightmare was this? What manner of creature was out praying on their little ponies' dreams! No! She must awake! She had to warn her sister! She had to tell her now!

"CELESTA!" She shouted, running down the corridors, rudely ejected from the dreamscape. "CELESTIA! SHE'S BACK!" She shouted, like a scared filly. "THE NIGHTMARE IS BACK!" She shouted, playing Paul Revere. Shouting as she galloped down the halls, like a mad pony, until she literally ran into a very unhappy Kibitz.

"Luna!" Kibitz barked, looking very perturbed. "You need some rest!" He cautioned, giving the lunar alicorn some unwanted advice. "I don't know what happened during your dreamwalk; but it's time for Celestia to rest! If you are going to act this way, then you are obviously going to achieve nothing more tonight!" He barked, dragging her down the hallway by the tail. "I suggest you take a break." He said, with a frown. "Maybe find something else to occupy yourself with."

Luna frowned, thinking about things. After a second she nodded -- she must have been imagining things? Maybe all the pressures of modern rule were, indeed, getting to her."I suppose." Luna responded, going into denial. "It was just a nightmare..." She said, trying to convince herself. "Yes! You were just imagining that dreamwalk." She said, walking away nervously -- struggling with what she swore to be the truth.

So why didn't she believed herself? Why did she believe a nightmare had been born?

PreviousChapters Next