• Published 11th Nov 2014
  • 1,995 Views, 43 Comments

I won't be a Wonderbolt - EllyCoo



After the Wonderbolt's attitude, Rainbow doesn't want to join them anymore.

  • ...
11
 43
 1,995

The crushed dreams

Author's Note:

This takes place after 'Rainbow Falls'.

"Well, this was a great - tiring; but great journey.", cheered Fluttershy with her small voice.

Turning to her friend, Fluttershy read on her face an upset and concerned expression. She didn't ask questions, afraid that her friend would react badly. After a while of walking and waiting, she decided to ask her anyway:

"Oh, Rainbow. What's wrong?"

"Nothing", muttered the rainbow-maned Pegasus.

"I know something is on your mind", she insisted. "You can tell me."

"It's just that... I realize... The Wonderbolts suck! I mean, not in flight. They're great at that but... See how they ditched Soarin' for me? That's not loyalty, it's my opposite. I can't join a flight team where you give up on your teammates."

An awkward silent installed. Rainbow Dash was devastated. Her favorite fliers, the best fliers in all of Equestria were just big ditching jerks. They didn't know the true value of friendship. She even wondered if the Wonderbolts were all friends... Probably not. Or maybe Spitfire was really one of the worst friend a pony could ever have. All she needs is her wings, other good wings, and victory. RD thought she learned something about friendship when Lightning Dust was there. But apparently not.

"I understand. They're really mean, I must say... Maybe you could make your own flight team."

"Fluttershy...", her friend murmured, her eyes widening and sparkling. "You're a genius!"

"I am?"

"She is?", a Pinkie Pie hopped out of a bush. "I was just passing by and heard you talk."

"Pinkie Pie, I'm making my own flight team. Sorry girls, gotta go!"

The blue Pegasus dashed to the sky, a rainbow-colored trail behind her. She had to write down the names of all the Pegasi she knew and she could count on. Which means, no Spitfire, no Fleetfoot. She hopped on a cloud, then took off again, the mane in the wind. Flying really was her destiny. Her Cutie Mark told her! But her Cutie Mark didn't say she had to be a Wonderbolt. She didn't even want to anymore. Finally, she reached her house and went in. She was a bit tired, but she had to work for her new flight team. She yawned and stretched and sat at her old desk. It was so dirty! She didn't use it for ages, since she didn't have any homework. She even felt strange to touch a pencil.

"There goes nothing... Now let's see... Twilight. Nah, she's a lousy flier. Fluttershy? She can fly fast with a bit of motivation. And by a bit... I mean a lot. Who else... Cloudchaser and Flitter, of course! Hmm, also Thunderlane, Blossomforth, Helia..."

And on and on. Rainbow spent the whole night writing down names. There were quite a lot. Now she realized how popular and how many friends she had. And when she saw that, her heart bumped fast and loud. She felt like all those ponies were supporting her... Then she boosted and wrote down more names. But unfortunately, some of those names had to go. At that thought, the blue Pegasus sighed: she didn't want anybody to be left out...


Rainbow Dash was so asleep she didn't even hear the knocking at her door. After a few more loud knocks, she moaned, grumbled and opened her eyes. It was morning already. She turned at the paper where she wrote everything about her new flight team: during the night, she drooled on it! Her eyes widened in shock and she muttered:

"Oh no oh no oh no oh no I'M COMING oh no oh no oh no oh no oh no . . ."

Fortunately, only a few names were blurry. She retraced and dried the paper a bit. The knocking became even more pressed. She flew as fast as she could to the door, annoyed. When she opened it, she saw a familiar yellow face and a purple face looking at her. Twilight and Fluttershy, of course. Behind them, in the floating thing, were Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie.

"What *yawn* do you want?", she asked, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

"Fluttershy told me about your project", said Twilight. "It sounds very interesting!"

"Yes, it is... Is that all you wanted?"

"Darling, you MUST tell us about it! ALL about it!", insisted Rarity.

"Fine", the cyan pegasus finally smiled. "Come in!"

The 6 friends all followed Rainbow Dash in and sat at the living room table. Rainbow Dash told them to wait so she could go get the paper. They sat there and waited before Rainbow came back from her room. She had her pencil behind the ear. She put the paper flat on the table, everypony looking at it.

"I made a list of all the ponies that could be in my team!", she explained.

"There are... quite a lot", noticed Applejack.

"I know... I'll have to erase some names. Maybe you could help me?", asked Dash.

"It's your flight team, not ours", replied the purple Alicorn.

"You could maybe pick the ones that would be interested in joining your team", proposed Pinkie.

"Yeah. I'll have to make the decisions myself. I can do this! Thanks for the tip, Pinkie.", she exclaimed.

Her friends walked at the door and waved. Rainbow sat down and ran down the list with her eyes. There were a lot of great fliers in there... She took out her pencil and stroked some pony's names who wouldn't really be interested. Her list was emptying, but a few good and interested fliers rested on the paper. She smiled, but then something popped out in her brain: she needed a name for her flight team! And an icon, too.

"Hmm... The Prism Dashes? The Spectrums? The Rainbooms? I kind of like Rainboom... I'll need somepony creative to help me."

She knew just the one.