• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 7,807 Views, 95 Comments

Mending Hearts:Fluttercord - atomicpuffin



Discord has messed up bad this time. He knows it and vows to make it up to the mare that means everything to him.

  • ...
6
 95
 7,807

Chapter Five

*Nightmare Night*

They were almost ready to begin. Discord and the six mares were waiting on the stage as the town's ponies began to crowd around waiting.

"How long do I have to stand up here? For that matter why am I even up here?" Discord crossed his arms and groaned. Twilight, who was once again Star Swirl the Bearded, looked over to her right at the draconequus.

"You helped put this together just as much as we did. I think it's only right you're here to share in the praise." Twilight simply stated, knowing he would bolt the minute he could.

"Don't worry, soon we'll be able to move things along. We're waiting for Princess Luna to make her grand entrance, that's all." Rarity said as she smoothed her costume once more, she was of course dressed as a princess herself.

Discord grumbled, he just hoped none of them could tell how much it was bothering him to have all the ponies staring at him. Not only was he wearing a black hat, cape and mask at the request of the others, but every time he made eye contact with one of the ponies they would either turn away in fear or glare at him in contempt. He sighed, knowing they would never consider giving him a second chance.

Maybe they're right being wary… He quickly shook his head to rid himself of the thought. He stole a glance at Fluttershy, she was standing next to Rarity and looked just as uncomfortable being up on stage. Many eyes fell on her because she looked marvelous. She was wearing a pale pink dress and large butterfly wings rested against her feathered ones. He smiled at how beautiful she was and he found himself growing excited for the end of the night when he would be able to hold her in his arms.

"Look it's time." Rainbow, dressed as Commander Hurricane, whispered pointing to the sky as Celestia finished lowering the sun.

Twilight nodded to Pinkie and she flipped a switch that turned off all the lights, a couple of the young foals screamed. Then Twilight's voice rang out over the crowd.

"Fillies and gentlecolts please join me in welcoming…The Princess of the Night!"

Suddenly a soft glow fell over the crowd as they saw the moon begin to rise. Outlined in the moon's glow was Princess Luna, her horned glowed with its magic as she swept towards the crowd. Suddenly she pulled up from her dive and used her horn to create an explosion in the sky spreading thousands of stars across the deep blue blanket. Sparkles from the explosion fell over the crowd as Luna gracefully landed on the stage beside Princess Twilight.

The crowd stared in wide-eyed awe then burst into applause and cheers. Princess Luna blushed slightly then held up her hoof to silence the crowd. She then took a deep breath to use the traditional Canterlot Royal Voice, something she now only did during Nightmare Night.

"Citizens of Ponyville! We are honored to be apart of this glorious night with all of our subjects! Let us all join together in fun as we celebrate this momentous night! Let us not waste another minute and begin the festivities!"

The crowd once again burst into applause and cheers. Twilight stepped forward to draw all eyes to her.

"I'd like to have all the young foals please follow Pinkie Pie and Applejack, you are all in for a treat as you will be the first to step into…"

Discord flashed in front of her cutting her off laughing maniacally at the young ponies, causing them to cower.

"To step into Discord's House of Chaos!" He laughed again and disappeared. Twilight rolled her eyes and gestured over to where Pinkie and Applejack, dressed as a gum drop and Smart Cookie, were standing.

"That's right lil' ones y'all just follow us now." Applejack trotted over to the group of foals, followed by a bouncing Pinkie Pie.

"Oh, oh, oh! This is gonna be soooo much fun! Follow me!" She started bouncing towards the Haunted House as Applejack brought up the rear. Suddenly she heard a voice in her ear.

"Ready for round two Applejack?" Discord's voice laughed and Applejack gulped.


The group of foals screamed as they came around a corner by the exit, startled by the giant deformed monster blocking their way. Suddenly the lights went out, all the ponies screamed again. When the lights came back on Discord had transformed back into his normal self and he was holding sticks of cotton candy for the foals. Once they saw it was just him standing there they laughed and continued, taking their cotton candy as they exited.

"Wow that was so much fun! Scary, but fun!"

"I've never screamed so much in my life!"

"Oh I hope he does this again next year!" All the foals nodded and laughed in agreement. One in particular, a little white and brown colt named Pipsqueek ran back to Discord and smiled up at the draconequus.

"Thank you so much Mr. Discord this is now the best Nightmare Night ever!"

Discord stared at the little pony in shock and watched him run to the others. They all waved goodbye to him smiling and laughing, while they waited for the older ponies.

"Ya did good Discord, never thought I'd say this, but I'm proud of ya." Applejack smiled as she carried a giggling Pinkie on her back.

"Oh my! Hehe, did…did you see the haha…and then the explosion ha priceless!" Pinkie incoherently tried to ramble about everything she had just seen. Applejack stopped and turned back to Discord with a slight blush on her face.

"Uh thanks...for ya know…toning it down...for the little ones I mean…"

Discord chuckled. Right the 'little ones'.


Twilight walked along the road listening to all the laughter around her. She glanced over to where Princess Luna had challenged Spike to the pumpkin chuck. When Luna's pumpkin landed at the center she threw her hooves in the air.

"Ha! Once again we prove undefeatable in combat!" She and Spiked then laughed together.

Twilight rolled her eyes and glanced off towards the Haunted House, which was the favorite event of the night. She heard screams, soon followed by laughter.

Discord was doing a great job, it seemed he had found a fun use for his magic. Since all seemed well and the fair was coming to a close she decided she should go get ready for the dance.

She walked into Carousel Boutique where her other friends, minus Discord, were already getting ready.

"Oh Twilight there you are, I was afraid I would have to send some pony to fetch you!" Rarity exclaimed, she was fully dressed in her rose-colored dress that had a high, white-collar around the neck. The dress had long sleeves and the skirt had black designs running over the entire length.

Rarity helped Twilight into her dress which was very simple as requested. It was a pastel pink with yellow sleeves and collar similar to Rarity's.

"So Applejack are all the foals in for the night?" Twilight asked as Rarity began to curl the mare's mane, not that Applejack looked too happy about it. However anyone who knew Rarity, knew when it came to fashion and makeovers there was no escape.

"Yea Twilight all the youngin's are abed. None too soon too, poor things were plum tuckered out...Ow Rarity!" She pulled away rubbing the back of her neck.

"Apologies Applejack, but it's very difficult to curl your mane if you refuse to sit still." Rarity scolded Applejack and returned to the task at hand. Applejack muttered under her breath,

"Wouldn't be difficult if you just let me wear my hat."

"I told you that thing would only clash with your gown! You'll get it back at the end of the night." Rarity explained exasperated, she had hidden the hat while Applejack was changing. Applejack's gown was cream and chocolate with white flowers stitched into the hem. Applejack rolled her eyes but didn't complain anymore about her torture.


*An hour later*

All of them were ready to go, yet Discord still had not shown up to put on his own suit. Rarity glanced at the clock.

"Oh dear, it's just a few minutes before the opening song. You don't suppose he's going to try to worm out of wearing his new outfit do you?"

Fluttershy shook her head and put a hoof to Rarity's shoulder,

"Don't worry Rarity he'll wear it, he's probably just finishing up at the Haunted House, he won't forget, I made him Pinkie Promise." She then giggled, remember his face when she had made him do so that morning.

Pinkie jumped up, her baby blue dress following her movements. Her dress was a soft, baby blue with pink stripes along the chest and white lollipops on the skirt.

"Well then we can head over without worrying, you can't break a Pinkie Promise!"

Rainbow who was still fidgeting in her own dress, which was black with two yellow lightning bolts on either side of her arms and silver stars scattered around the skirt, stopped and made a face at Pinkie.

"Yeah even the Lord of Chaos would run in fear at a Pinkie melt down."

The others all laughed as they followed the excited pink mare out of the boutique towards the giant stadium Discord had created to fit all the ponies in attendance. None noticed the suit behind them disappear with a flash.


The musicians were warming up their instruments as the girls all excitedly talked to one another. Princess Luna came over to stand with them and Rarity asked her how she was enjoying herself.

"Oh, we are having fun and can not remember the last time we have laughed so much." The princess smiled at all the ponies near her.

"We thank our friends for all that they have done to make us feel welcome here once again. However we fear it will have to soon end, the duties of Princess of the Night still await."

All the girls turned to the stage when they heard one of the musicians announce they were about to start the first song of the night. Many stallions came over to the group asking for the honor of their first dances. Five of them accepted, even Rainbow Dash when surprised by Soarin who had flown in for the celebration, but Fluttershy accepted none of the offers. Although many stallions earnestly tried to get her as their partner, she refused them all politely, there was only one stallion she wished to dance with.

Fluttershy looked around worried and a bit disappointed when she didn't see him. She felt tears begin to form in her eyes as the first strings of the song began. She felt a hoof on her shoulder and looked over to see Twilight smile at her pointing to end of the stadium, before walking away with her partner, Big Mac.

Fluttershy looked where Twilight had pointed and saw him walk in. Discord walked in wearing the suit just as he promised, he looked amazing, head held high. He made his way casually over to her, his eyes never leaving hers. The group of stallions around her backed away as he neared, most of them afraid when Discord gave them cold stares. He then turned to Fluttershy smiling as he reached out his claw taking her hoof.

"Sorry boys, but this dance is all mine." His eyes flashed with something dark and possessive that caused her stomach to flip.


He led her to the center, then he wrapped his paw around her waist and pulled her close to help her balance on her to hind legs. Both blushed slightly when their bodies brushed against each other. He smiled down at her and began to slowly dance with the music. She smiled timidly up at him before looking back at his chest, oh if only she could feel how even the smallest of her smiles affected his heart. This moment would be with him for all eternity, holding the most beautiful mare in his arms as they moved to the sweet music floating around the room.

"Discord?" Fluttershy looked up at him, her pretty teal eyes held him captive in their spell.

"Yes love?" He purred causing her to blush, too late he realized he had spoken that out loud.

"I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you...what you did today...it was wonderful!" She finished a lot stronger than she had started and she practically glowed with happiness.

The sudden urge to kiss her slammed into Discord and he blushed scarlet. The only thing that held him back was the thought that she would not welcome such a thing from him. He twirled her suddenly causing her to giggle, then he pulled her close to him again.

"Thank you my dear, your approval is all I live for." It was the sincerest thing he had ever said to any pony in his life, but she must have thought he was joking for she giggled again.

"Oh Discord, it's not just me that feels this way I know every pony is starting to see who you really are..." She lifted her hoof to his face and gently caressed his cheek.

"And that makes me so happy for you." There were tears forming in her eyes and he quickly spun around pulling her with him causing her to gasp.

"No tears tonight my dear. I won't allow the most beautiful mare in Equestria to so much as frown tonight." He nuzzled her mane with his nose and missed the small blush and happy smile on the her face.

"Okay." She whispered.

They continued to dance in silence never taking their eyes off one another. When the song ended Discord felt a pang of disappointment, but smiled and offered Fluttershy his arm to escort her back to their friends. Fluttershy however shook her head refusing.

"One more dance first." She took his claw as the music started up for the next song. Discord knew he wore a goofy smile on his face but he didn't care as he happily pulled her to him again.


The small group of friends sat at a table laughing and enjoying some punch, and a much-needed break from the dancing. Princess Luna had made her apologies saying she had to attend to her royal duties for the night. She had hugged each of them in turn, well all except Discord who was thankful she had not, then took her leave flying into the night.

Discord looked down dreamily at the little pegasus sitting next to him, they had almost been inseparable all night. She had refused to dance with anyone but him, and the fact made his chest puff up with pride. He felt a sudden jab in his side and glared over at Twilight who had a mischievous smile on her face, she winked at him before saying.

"Oh Fluttershy did you know that they made a special garden just for tonight's festival?"

Fluttershy's eyes grew wide and she got a huge smile on her face.

"Really? A garden?"

Discord looked confused, there was no garden.

"What are you tal-" He was interrupted by a kick under the table, he growled softly at the alicorn, who chose to ignore him.

"Oh yes it's very beautiful and ro-man-tic…" She looked over at Discord again and he finally caught on to what she was doing. He glared at her again his ears back, he was about to make a toad appear in her cup when Fluttershy pulled on his sleeve.

"Oh Discord we have to go see it, come on!" She looked so hopeful and excited that he knew he'd been trapped.

"Okay. I'll take you out there."

She squealed and began to hover next to him. He stood up and quietly snapped his fingers behind his back so she wouldn't see. Rainbow Dash however did, she gave the pair a suspicious look as they walked out together, Fluttershy's hoof tucked under Discord's arm.

"Anybody else think he's up to something?" She decided to voice her suspicion out loud to the others, who were all watching the pair leave. Twilight took a sip of her punch,

"I don't know what you mean Rainbow…"

The pegasus was about to argue when thank Celestia, Soarin came over and asked the mare for another dance. The girls giggled as Rainbow's face flushed, but she happily followed the stallion. Rainbow would be distracted for now, but not forever.

Twilight sighed in relief as she looked towards the direction Discord and Fluttershy had left.

Don't mess this up...it may be your best chance to tell her…


Fluttershy flew all around the garden he had materialized. He had conjured it while thinking of her so everything was exactly to her liking, not an ounce of chaos anywhere. He didn't mind the peacefulness so long as she was happy.

She laughed happily as she smelled all the different flowers and when a firefly landed on her nose she sneezed before giggling. Discord found himself chuckling with her, he curled up on the grass contently, watching as her excitement grew with each pass through the garden.

Finally she flew over to where he was laying and landed in front of him.

"Oh Discord isn't this garden beautiful!?" She glanced behind her at the garden again.

Discord watched her as she looked out over the garden and sighed,

"Absolutely beautiful." Of course he wasn't referring to the garden. She turned and blushed when she saw him watching her. She looked down and ran her hoof through the grass, a nervous habit he noticed she did when she wanted to ask something.

"What is it my dear?" He lifted her face with his paw under her chin. She blushed deeper and tried to speak,

"I...well...I…that is...um...oh my…" She tried to hide behind her mane out of habit, but since it was piled on top of her head she couldn't. He stretched his neck so his nose was inches from her.

"Come now my darling, surely what you have to ask isn't that embarrassing?" He chuckled and then nudged her with his nose something that never failed to make her laugh.

She only blushed deeper and stammered,

"Discord...I…I want…you to…" She couldn't seem to finish her sentence and he felt his mind was playing tricks on him so he pulled his head back.

No, no surely she's not trying to ask what you think? It's just that you want to kiss her more than you ever wanted to rule Equestria and you're becoming delusional.

She seemed to have moved closer to him, her head still turned away in shyness, that blush staining her smooth cheeks.

"Tonight has…been…been amazing…but…but you know...what would make... it perfect...for me?" She whispered.

His heart was racing so fast he was sure it would give out from the stress. He swallowed visibly, his mouth suddenly dry as she continued to inch closer to him still. Out of anticipation or panic he wasn't sure but he scrambled up until he was sitting on his haunches. She stopped when she was so close to him he could breath in and smell her sweet scent, Celestia why did she always have to smell like roses?

She turned her bright teal eyes up to meet his mismatched red ones. Hers reflected the moon's light and her skin glowed softly from the white light, she was just too beautiful in that moment and he found himself leaning closer to her out of instinct. As his head lowered her eyes slowly closed and she slightly tilted her head.

He gave in to his heart as it cried out for this, he couldn't have stopped himself now even if he wanted to. He closed his eyes as he met her soft lips.

Even in his dreams he hadn't imagined it feeling like this...just...perfect. Her lips were so soft and cool, he heard her give a small sigh as she kissed him back.

He reached out and wrapped his arms around her pulling her closer to him as he deepened the kiss.

She didn't object but wrapped her hooves around his neck holding on to him with all her strength. He let out a groan as he moved his claw up into her mane holding her tight in his grasp.

He heard fireworks going off and knew this was fate, she would be his forever, his soul mate.

They finally pulled apart gasping for air. When there was another loud explosion in the distance, Fluttershy screamed and buried herself against his chest. He turned his head to see real fireworks filling the sky.

Oh...He thought as he laughed. He pulled Fluttershy away from him and brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"It's okay love look." He indicated the fireworks and she sighed in relief.

"Oh those were real...I-I mean…" She turned her head away embarrassed, Discord merely nuzzled her neck whispering,

"I know exactly how you feel." He pulled away and looked down at the sweet mare he held in his arms. He decided now was the time to tell her how he felt. He opened his mouth to confess when she suddenly gave a great yawn. He chuckled as she blushed and wiped her eyes.

"It has been a long night my dear, tell you what, how about I take you home?"

She shook her head yawning again, instead she walked around to his side and leaned against him.

"No, I…I want to watch the rest of the fireworks first…" She slowly laid down and he knew she was desperately fighting sleep. So he laid down on his stomach, curling his body around her. Grateful she snuggled up close to him to share his body heat. He smiled lovingly at her as he wrapped his tail around her holding her close to his side and his heart. They watched the fireworks for a few minutes when a soft snore brought his attention back to the sleeping mare next to him.

He chuckled softly so as not to wake her and swung his head around to gently kiss her forehead, she yawned and snuggled closer to his body, still asleep. His heart was to the point of overflowing as he watched her sleep. He rested his head next to hers and whispered in her ear.

"I love you Fluttershy."