• Published 28th Oct 2014
  • 7,818 Views, 95 Comments

Mending Hearts:Fluttercord - atomicpuffin



Discord has messed up bad this time. He knows it and vows to make it up to the mare that means everything to him.

  • ...
6
 95
 7,818

Chapter Three

*The Next Day*

Discord growled as he flashed in front of Twilight's castle, he had to join this week's friendship council. He missed as many of them as he could, but this time Twilight had insisted that he be there. However, he wasn't in the best of moods after not getting much sleep again.

Every time he closed his eyes she was there to haunt him, these were not his usual nightmares although he almost wished they were, almost.

He felt a reluctant smile tug at his lips as he thought of one of those dreams…

He wrapped his tail around her, pulling her fully against him, holding her close to his heart.

He held her, inhaling her sweet scent, running his nose through her soft mane, and tickling her ear with his warm breath. She nuzzled the fur on his neck and sighed. He lifted her chin up to stare into her eyes as he stroked her mane, he remembered wrapping his arms around her and…


"Oh my, you don't suppose he's sick?" asked Rarity

"Hey! Hello any pony home?" RainbowDash shouted.

"Ah don't think he can even hear us y'all."

"Just give him some chocolate, mm chocolate, while you're at it I'll take some too!"

Their voices, brought him back, he opened his eyes only to stare into the ones he had just been imagining.

"Oh thank goodness, I thought that something was wrong."

Discord was pretty sure his face was the same color as Applejack's cutie mark.

All his friends were staring at him waiting for an answer...Oh fudge…

"Oh I was just thinking that it sure is a lovely day out." Four pairs of suspicious eyes stared at him as Fluttershy relaxed and smiled at him.

"Why yes it-" She let out a squeak as his arm snaked out and pulled her close, he ignored the pounding of his heart.

"Yes, but you know I think it still needs something hmm…" He grinned at the ponies.

"I think Pinkie is absolutely right, we could all use some chocolate!"

He snapped his fingers and pink clouds filled the sky. His friends started shouting at him while staring at the cotton candy clouds.

"Oh wait, wait , wait I know what this calls for!" Pinkie yelled and took off returning in a second with…Oh for the love of...

He slapped his face, a giant swivel straw.

"Hey knock it off, that's not funny!" Rainbow shouted as she pounded her hooves together, she looked so ridiculous threatening him, he snickered.

"Pleeeease don't Discord it'll ruin my hair!" Rarity whined, he lay his ears back, her high-pitched voice could cause any creature to cringe in pain.

"You cut that out Discord! You promised to behave."

"Well technically Applejack I said most of the time."

"Discord…" The little pegasus scolded as she pulled out of his grip and frowned at him while she crossed her hooves.

He smiled, even when she was angry she was adorable.

"You know better, you really shouldn't make it rain on every pony for your amusements."

He laughed and pulled her to him again, he couldn't seem to stop himself. He patted the top of her head and smiled at all the ponies.

"Relax friends, I was only kidding. You all should take a lesson from Pinkie and learn to relax."

He let go of Fluttershy and snapped his fingers and instantly the clouds disappeared and the sky was its boring, blue self again. All the ponies sighed in relief, well all but one.

"But...But...I brought my straw." Pinkie pouted.

A giant glass of chocolate milk with whipped cream appeared in front of her. She looked up at it and screamed before jumping to the top. In a matter of seconds all the milk was gone.

"Pinkie! Really darling you shouldn't drink so fast." Rarity exclaimed. Pinkie jumped down licking her lips. She hopped up to Discord and hugged him. Then she hopped away heading into the castle cheerfully saying over her shoulder.

"Thanks for not forgetting the dollop this time!"

"Oh well that's Pinkie for ya." Rainbow shrugged and flew after her. The others rolled their eyes and followed.

Discord scratched his head,

"I'm the Lord of Chaos and not making sense…and even I can't figure out where she just put all that chocolate."

Fluttershy who was walking beside him heard this and giggled. He smiled at her, then leaned down to whisper,

"You don't suppose she's got some draconequus in her family?"

Fluttershy let out a quiet laugh so the others wouldn't hear. Her laugh was so intoxicating, he continued to watch her walk beside him.

Her pink mane was so pretty and he knew soft as silk. He longed to reach out and run his claws through it. He mentally shook himself when he realized he had lifted his arm to do just that.

Dear Celestia I'm losing my mind… If I don't stop this soon I'm going to go mad...well more so than I already am… He chuckled to himself causing her to glance up at him.


Twilight greeted everyone, even him, with a hug. This still took some getting used to, she was a lot more accepting of him since the Tirek incident. Kind of ironic that it took him betraying her, then giving her a true sign of his friendship for her to fully see him as a friend.

"How was Canterlot darling?" Rarity inquired as everyone took their seats in the council room. As he didn't have one he chose to float above them on a cloud.

"It's always a pleasure to see the princess and this time was no exception. She showed me some new master level spells I want to try, but that will mean more studying."

"Do you do anything besides study when you go to Canterlot?"

"Well Rainbow now that you mentioned it I did have a certain Stallion from the Wonderbolts ask if you were coming for a visit anytime soon."

Every pony turned to see Rainbow's face grow crimson.

"Soarin! I-I mean..."

"Oh how sweet! Why didn't you tell us you and Soarin were courting Rainbow?" Rarity beamed in excitement.

"Because I-I don't...I mean...oh never mind can we please get back to why we're here!"

"Fine, but I'm not letting this go you know." Rarity put her nose in the air, Rainbow groaned.

"Well I wanted to see all my friends now that I'm back, but the main reason I asked everyone here was because I have a message to relay." They all nodded for her to continue. Discord had to hide a yawn.

"Well as you all know we've started preparations for Nightmare Night. Well, I was just informed by Princess Luna that she wants to visit Ponyville again for the celebration!" They all shouted with joy at the sudden news.

"Yee-haw, well aint that a hoot! Why, she's never been back for another Nightmare Night since the first one she came to."

"Wait doesn't she always come to scare the little foals like she promised?" Pinkie scratched her head.

"Oh yeah yer right. Well at least this year she'll be able to enjoy all the fair's activities."

They all nodded and Rarity clapped her hooves.

"Oooo, we should have a formal ball! Oh it would be divine, every pony in beautiful ball gowns dancing..."

Discord had been extremely bored and was falling asleep. Suddenly he perked up at this. Dancing? He glanced over at Fluttershy and it wasn't hard to conjure an image of her in a beautiful gown. He felt himself flush a deep red. Twilight thought about Rarity's suggestion.

"I think it would be a good way to end the night once all the colts and fillies have gone off to bed. However I don't think we need anything so big, after all this will be just a casual visit."

"But this is Princess Luna! Surely we should do something grand to mark this momentous event?"

"She does make a valid point Twi. Maybe we should do something nice for the princess." Applejack shrugged her shoulders. Discord looked around at all the ponies and he had a feeling the dance was losing ground. Twilight seemed against it, Rainbow looked anything but interested in something so girlie, Applejack was sitting on the fence neither agreeing or disagreeing and Pinkie didn't care so long as they had a party to throw

"I don't know, I don't think Luna would want us making such a big deal..."

"How about a compromise?"

They all glanced up at Discord surprised, he hardly said anything at the meetings, at least anything helpful.

"What do you suggest then Discord?" Twilight raised her eyebrow at him in curiosity, she seemed almost afraid to ask.

He glanced at Fluttershy again, he didn't like the idea of something so formal like the Grand Galloping Gala, but he really wanted to see her all dressed up and maybe even get a chance to dance with her.

"Maybe just something smaller than a grand ball, what's the word you always use Rarity sorbet?"

"Don't you mean soiree? Oh what a marvelous idea...never thought I'd say that about one of your suggestions...We could tone it down so it's little more than a themed dance Twilight, if that's more to your liking?" Twilight thought about it then looked around at all of them.

"Well...okay why not, after all I'm sure Luna will enjoy herself no matter what we do. Now let's go over the list I made..."

Twilight started telling all of them what still needed to get done and their duties, but Discord was lost in his own thoughts.

Just imagine, watching her glide in, dressed in the most glorious of gowns. She would be the most beautiful mare there. He would be able to take her to the dance floor...wait, would she even consider dancing with some pony like him, maybe if he begged. It would be like a dream, holding her close in his arms, swaying with the music...Leaning into each other...eyes closing…

"DISCORD!" Twilight shouted and he jumped falling off his cloud, but this time he caught himself before he hit the floor.

"Ha! Not this time!" He pointed at the ground then looked around and every pony was giving him odd looks.

"Anyways...Discord were you listening to a word I said just now?"

He flashed himself over by Twilight's throne wrapping himself around it.

"Can't say I was maybe there was something in my ears." He pulled a piece of cotton candy out of his ear and flicked it towards Rarity and she screeched only for it to disappear before hitting her. She scowled at Discord while he and the others laughed.

Twilight rolled her eyes and focused back on Discord.

"I was saying that I had another idea that would make the night special and I need your help with it."

Surprised he pointed at himself. Twilight smiled and nodded.

"What do you want me to do? I should let you know I don't deal well with small ponies so I'm not doing chaperon duty."

"No silly! Applejack and I will be taking care of the foals and their trick or treats! Just think of all that candy! " Pinkie bounced on her seat.

"No Discord, what I'm talking about is something only you can do. I want you to use your magic for a haunted house." His mouth fell to the floor. He picked it up and locked it back into place and shook his head.

"I'm sorry I must still have some fluff in my ear. Did you just say you wanted me to use my magic to scare ponies?"

Twilight nodded, and a hot water bottle appeared on her head and a thermometer in her mouth.

"Oh girls I fear that our dear Princess Twilight has some life threatening illness! She's clearly not thinking straight!"

"Hey what are you-ah!"

He picked up Twilight.

"Don't worry we'll get you back to your normal, serious, bossy self!"

"Hey! I'm not bossy!" She shouted as she flew out of his arms. Rainbow started laughing,

"No, but he did forget egg headed!"

"Hey!" The others joined in the laughter and even Twilight found herself smiling after a moment.

"Seriously though Discord I thought you would be excited. You can use your powers, safely that is, to scare every pony. It's all in good fun, why hesitate."

He thought of his dream self and cringed as the words taunted him.

'Tell me, can you really give me up for her? You should know better than to fight your true nature...'

What if he couldn't control himself and the ponies only grew more suspicious of him? What if some pony got hurt and his friends got angry with him? He glanced at Fluttershy,

What if she grows to hate me?

"Discord? If you don't want to you can always just say no." Twilight looked at him with confusion and concern.

"What? Oh I do...I just...well I'm just also confused...whose idea was this exactly?"

"Oh it wasn't mine, but I did agree to it right away."

"Okay so whose..."

"Oh...it...it was mine...after I saw how sad you were…well I came to Twilight and...and…suggested we do something to cheer you up...I hope that was alright?"

He looked over toward the soft-spoken voice and watched Fluttershy hide behind her mane.

"You...you asked Twilight to help me feel better?" She nodded.

"Well, yes...I couldn't stand to see you so upset and doubting yourself...so I explained how you were feeling to Twilight... She then suggested maybe having you help with the fair...That's...that's when I said that you could use your magic for something...that's safe but feels natural...but if you don't want to…"

He flew over to her and scooped her into his arms.

He hugged her tight against him, feeling her warmth seeping into him. She was giving him the freedom he wanted, but at the same time proving he could be trusted. If there had been any doubt left it was long gone now. Oh yes, he loved this mare so very much and he wouldn't let her down.

"Of course I want to friends! I'll make sure this is the best haunted house in Equestria!" Then he whispered so only she could hear.

"Thank you my dear, you're still the sweetest mare I know. I don't know how I can repay you for this gift." She hugged him and whispered in his ear what she wanted…

His ears fell back and he dropped her. She shrieked and put out her wings to catch herself.

"Oh my, I'm sorry I just...did I hear you right my dear?"

She smiled and nodded.

"So is that all for today Twilight?" Fluttershy asked the alicorn, who was looking over a check list once more.

"What? Oh yes, that will be all for today. We have a lot to do before the end of the week. I'll be checking in on everyone's progress so I'll see you girls, and Discord later. Now I have to go over these changes with Spike. " They all said their goodbyes and walked out. When they were all outside he stopped following them and just stared after Fluttershy.

Of all the things she could have said that was the last thing he had expected to hear. He felt a giant smile spread across his face as he laid his paw over his heart.

"At the festival I want to be your first dance..."