• Published 26th Oct 2014
  • 8,162 Views, 378 Comments

Little Sun - Rated Ponystar



Celestia tells Twilight the truth behind her history with Sunset Shimmer.

  • ...
28
 378
 8,162

Chapter 4

Celestia paused her story to politely accept a cup of tea from Twilight. The elder princess’ parched throat cried out in heavenly thanks as the soothing and tasty liquid washed over her aching throat. “Thank you, Twilight.”

“No problem, Princess,” said Twilight, sitting back down on her cushion as she filled up her own teacup. “So how was Sunset as a student? Was she as good as me?”

“She was just as brilliant as you, Twilight. However, there were some differences,” said Celestia, smiling. “While you always focused on books and the theories of magic, Sunset was more into actual casting and putting the magic to actual use. Instead of the library, the courtyards were Sunset’s home as she put hours upon hours into casting spell after spell. More than once I would have to have the guards drag her to dinner while she was trying to master some new spell.”

Celestia raised an eyebrow as she saw Twilight lower her cup and glance at the floor. “Would... would we have met if Sunset was still your apprentice? Would she have been the Element of Magic and a princess instead of me?”

There was a pause in the air before Celestia raised her apprentice’s chin with her hoof and smiled at her. “My dearest, Twilight. You would have been my apprentice regardless. Your magic was unchecked and I knew that I would be the only one to keep you from losing control. I have never taken more than one apprentice before, but I would not be against the idea. You would have been special to me regardless.” Seeing Twilight's smile return, Celestia continued. “As for the Element of Magic and becoming a alicorn...” Celestia sighed. “I admit, I did see my daughter as a candidate for both. But there were also other candidates for the other Elements as well.”

“Like who?” asked Twilight.

Celestia licked her lips and tapped her chin. “Well, for Loyalty there was Captain Spitfire of the Wonderbolts as well as your brother, Shining Armor. Laughter was a strange traveling party pony named Cheese Sandwich who is very much like Pinkie Pie. I suspect one day their paths will cross. Generosity had three other potentials, one of them was Fancy Pants, the other two lived in Trottingham. The first one, a unicorn named Reflection, sadly died in an accident a year before I sent you to Ponyville. The other was a pegasus racer named Accelerator. There was nopony else for Honesty like Applejack. And Kindness had only one other pony, a pegasus named Derpy Hooves.”

The shocked look on Twilight’s face as she listed off names both familiar and new to her was a bit of an amusement to Celestia. It would have been interesting to see what could have happened to Twilight if any of these ponies were the ones she was destined to become friends with. How much would have changed and what would have happened to the friends she knew now if none of them were chosen?

“There is something I don’t understand and it’s kind of been bugging me a bit,” asked Twilight, rubbing her hoof. “How did you know I could become an alicorn princess?”

“Alicorns can feel when others have the potential to become alicorns as well. Sometimes they are born like my sister and I, others need to become one through various ways such as you and Cadance.” Celestia sighed and looked into her drained teacup with regret.

“Will... will I live as long as you?” asked Twilight with a wavering voice.

Celestia knew this question would come and she gave a warm smile to Twilight. “Do not worry, Twilight. Alicorns have long lives, but they are by no means immortal. You will live to be about a hundred. Maybe a hundred and fifty. But you will join your friends in the next life along with Cadance. Luna and I are... exceptions.”

“Why? How?” asked Twilight.

“It is our connection with the Sun and Moon. The unicorns originally raised them, but it always caused such a strain and needed to be done with groups. Many didn’t live long lives or suffered disabilities because of the strain. My sister and I were born with a connection to both heavenly bodies and so our life forces are connected to them, stopping our bodies from aging. We believe we shall continue to live until another is destined to take our role as the raisers of either the sun, moon, or both. From then I suspect our bodies will begin to age again. And we will die.”

“Has anypony come close? Have I?” asked Twilight. “I-I mean, if I need too.. I don’t mind.”

“No, Twilight. You are not going to replace me or Luna. You would have had a connection to either the sun or moon the moment you were born if this was to happen. No, only one pony has ever had the same connection as I...”

“Sunset Shimmer?”

Celestia nodded. “I sensed the potential of alicorn transformation within Sunset too, but I foolishly told her this too early.”

“She did say she wanted to be a princess...” mentioned Twilight, placing her hoof on Celestia’s. “Do you want to tell me how it happened?”

***

“Would I wear a crown like yours?!” asked Sunset, eagerly.

“Yes.”

“And have my own subjects?!”

“Yes, and you would have a duty to treat them with respect.”

“And eat all the cake I want?!”

“That’s one of my personal favorites,” teased Celestia with a wink of the eye. She and Sunset Shimmer had been walking down the halls after their afternoon lessons. Well, she had been walking, Sunset had been hopping around the room like a six year old again when she was already eleven.

“When can I turn into one or learn how to turn into one?” asked Sunset, eyes beaming.

“When you're older and more powerful, Sunset. These things take time,” answered Celestia, who couldn’t help but feel a sense of pride over all that her daughter had achieved in the year since she came back to her life. Sunset had shown more potential than any other student Celestia ever took and all of the other teachers adored her prized student. She still had problems fitting in with the other students, most of which were upset that an orphan like her got to be Celestia’s student, but she never let it bothered her. I just wish she’d make a few friends.

“Aww, I wanted to be one now,” muttered Sunset, pouting. Her gaze then turned to a locked room with three magical chains surrounding it. Stopping in front of it, Sunset looked at the door before turning to her teacher. “What’s behind that door?”

At first, Celestia was against the idea of showing what was behind it, but then she saw the innocent look in her daughter’s eye and figured that no harm could come from it. Using her magic, the three magical chains disappeared and the door opened. Inside was a mirror that she hadn’t seen in a long time. It looked like any ordinary mirror, but just by being near it you could sense the magic radiating off of it.

“What is it? A mirror?” asked Sunset, walking forward and reaching out to touch the surface.

Celesia gasped, “Sunset! No!” She grabbed her daughter by her tail and dragged her away. Rushing over to the mirror, she gently touched it with her own hoof but relaxed upon feeling the cold surface. It wasn’t activated, thank goodness.

“What was that about?” asked Sunset, puffing her cheeks.

Blushing, Celestia answered, “I’m sorry, Sunset. But this mirror is no ordinary mirror. It is a gateway to another world.”

“A-another world?! Is that even possible?! What kind of world?!” asked Sunset, inching closer to the mirror.

“I don’t know. I have never ventured beyond into it. Only Starswirl the Bearded, it’s creator, has done so. Yet, he never spoke or recorded of what he found,” answered Celestia. “It only opens every thirty moons and once that moon’s final day leaves it cannot be opened again. I have kept it around for study since finding it a hundred years ago with Starswirl’s notes, but I have not found the courage to test it out.”

“Think maybe someday I can venture inside? If I’m strong enough?!” asked Sunset, looking at it with beaming eyes. “Just think of what could await us there.”

Celestia smiled at the sight of her daughter’s sense of adventure and nuzzled her. “Tell you what. I promise one day, when you're old enough, we’ll venture into the mirror together.” She looked up and glanced at the mirror again. “You know, the mirror also has another function. If one stares into it deep enough, you can see possible futures that you can experience.”

“Have you ever looked inside the mirror, teacher?” asked Sunset.

“I... have...” said Celestia, hesitantly.

“What did you see?”

My biggest dream and my greatest fear... thought Celestia. She had looked into this mirror only once, but once was enough. She saw two futures, ones that still plagued her to this day. The first showed her and Luna, back to her normal self, in a warm, sisterly embrace with smiles on their heads. There was no crown or regalia on them. Just them as sisters, united once more. It was the future Celestia wanted more than anything else.

And yet she saw another possible future. A darker one. Her worst fears coming to life.

She saw herself, wings torn asunder, horn sliced in half, body covered in gashes and cuts, while being tied to a pillar with chains of dark energy squeezing her tight. With tears of eyes, her reflection looked gazed upwards upon the one that had defeated her. Nightmare Moon, laughing in triumph as all of Equestria turned dark.

A future of hope. And a future of despair.

All it did was drive her more to seek the Elements’ new bearers out so she could make the first future real.

“Teacher?” asked Sunset Shimmer, poking her leg. Celestia quickly got out of her thoughts and looked down at her student. “Could I take a look?”

Seeing no harm with it, she nodded and guided Sunset to the proper place to look. “Focus on the mirror. Don’t blink or look away. Concentrate and relax.”

Sunset nodded her head and stood as still as a statue. She slowed her breathing and never once shook as Celestia calmly stepped back to let her student focus. For a few minutes, nothing happened. Then Sunset gasped and her smile grew larger. “I... I can see it! I see myself! I’m an alicorn! A princess just like you! I’m standing beside you as we look upon our subjects. They look so happy to see us. I really can become this? As loved as you are?”

A proud smile spread across Celesta’s muzzle. “Yes, Sunset. You have the potential to become a great and wise—”

Suddenly, Sunset was screaming. She screamed and began to back away from the mirror, terror completely filling her eyes. Celesta was at her side in an instant, shielding her daughter with her wing and embracing her straight her chest. “Breathe, my little sun! It’s okay! You are safe! It’s okay!”

The screaming stopped and was soon replaced by crying. Celestia could feel her coat getting wet but none of that mattered. All that mattered was soothing her crying daughter and nuzzling her with each passing second. “It’s okay. Shhh, shhh. Let it all out.”

“S-So scary... so... evil...” muttered Sunset, shivering in Celestia’s hooves.

“What did you see?” asked Celestia.

“It... it was on two legs... flying in the air with bat like wings. Its claws held fire as her red body was encased in flames like they were from Tartarus. Even her mane and tail were ablaze. But the worse where its eyes... its dark, soulless eyes. Eyes of evil and terror. Like all it wanted to do was destroy me as it looked at me like a meal to feast on!” Sunset looked at her teacher with teary confused eyes. “W-what does it mean? Why does one of my futures have a demon in it?”

Celestia didn’t know. She only rushed them out of the room and swore never to show Sunset the mirror again. She did not know what this demon was, but if it was involved in her daughter’s future in anyway, she would make sure it never harmed her or anypony else.

It never occurred to Celestia that Sunset was seeing herself.

Author's Note:

Sorry it took so long to make Chapter 4. It really doesn't take me long to make these chapters, but I got occupied with other stuff. Anyway, the happy stuff is coming to a close soon. The real sad shit is about to begin.